Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spy x family is a sitcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spy x family guy

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

spy x family guy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yea exactly

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

sharkmafia posted:

The boat arc is rad but really i think spy x family has good arcs in general

the thing that eventually killed my interest is how thoroughly those arcs always return to the status quo. the pace towards any kind of resolution for any of the larger story or character arcs is goddamn glacial, even for anime

thing is other than the intro and enter the school arc, this is like the first real arc.
everything else has been episodic to the point you think this was a 4koma series.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
how quickly you forget the (tennis) tournament arc

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, Spy x Family is one of the series that would probably be better adapted as an old-school endless, (semi-) episodic show like Detective Conan, or One Piece rather than using the usual seasonal model.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lt. Lizard posted:

Honestly, Spy x Family is one of the series that would probably be better adapted as an old-school endless, (semi-) episodic show like Detective Conan, or One Piece rather than using the usual seasonal model.

There'd be no benefit or reason for that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spy x Family also does chapters biweekly so that wouldn't work for several reasons.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

GateOfD posted:

thing is other than the intro and enter the school arc, this is like the first real arc.
everything else has been episodic to the point you think this was a 4koma series.

i dropped SxF after a few dozen chapters but i think i'd honestly prefer it as a 4koma-type deal

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

anyways i finished SHY

symbolic posted:

finished up the last two episodes. the resolution for the Pepesha arc stuck the landing imo, and i liked the build-up for season 2. the cameos of the other villains upcoming & seeing if they also were/are part of the other heroes' lives has me pretty hype.

i think overall it was a good first season. really liked the characters, the animation flourishes were cool, and i particularly liked it not dwelling on humiliating Shy and instead showing her incremental growth. i really hate cringe comedy based on a character just being different/awkward and that it didn't go that route was welcome. the Pepesha arc taking up nearly half the season made it feel pretty drawn-out though, especially when it apparently was quicker in the manga. also wished that most of the other heroes didn't just show up for a single scene before backing out aside from brief cameos, but that feels like a personal nitpick. think overall it's a 6.5/10 for me, bumping up to a 7/10 after reflecting that if i wasn't watching every week or every other week then the Pepesha arc wouldn't have felt so tiring. looking forward to S2!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Last call for winter season thread title suggestions

Julias posted:

As usual, if you have any good thread title suggestions, please feel free to suggest them.

https://anichart.net/Winter-2024
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2024/winter

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Looking like a better show already

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Series I kept up with:

Spy X Fam - Great and everyone's said what I'd say
Frieren - Same
Apothecary Diaries - As above.
SHY - I have the same criticisms as other people have about the pacing being less than ideal. It's a fun magical girl series though and the Pepesha arc is basically the albatross around its neck.
Hoshikuzu Telepath - It's still going and I think I might be able to pull myself to finish it out. The drama is way more pronounced in the series and that's great. But it also makes it more apparent than the manga that I'm not as attached to these characters compared to other KRR series.
100 Girlfriends - I cam into this thinking it would be really dumb and trashy and it kinda was, but in the best ways. It's a comedy that leans so hard into its premise and revels in the absurdity of it and is mostly tasteful about some of the more typical harem romcom tropes.
Hikikomari Monmon - This is the really dumb stuff. Real junk food anime with an idiot MC just stumbling their way into positions of importance and being the wrong combination of prideful and dumb to handle it properly or weasel out of it. Yeah, there's fanservice and the MC starts accruing her own lesbian harem for laughs.
I Favor the Villainess - Also Gay as hell. It's less trashy than the above series and does occasionally take itself seriously. It does run through some of the otome isekai tropes with its own spin, but it executes them well. Though I'd say the last arc felt like it was being stretched a bit too long for the drama and that they probably couldn't fit anything else from the source material in.
Ikkenaikyo - A light and silly fantasy romcom. No world ending stake. No demon lords (okay, there's one, sorta) or tyrannical kings. Just a cast aside princess who's way too nice for her own good learning how to stand up for herself a little and about the world of kindness that she never had a chance to experience before.
S-Rank Musume - It's a fantasy series that doesn't have its own special gimmick all things considered, but it hits a lot of the right notes a dad-anime hits with the perk that it's not devolving into setting up the dad and his adopted daughter together. The stakes aren't too high and it doesn't dig in too deep in the overarching plot, but the characters and story are enjoyable. Shame about the budget though.

Dropped series
Idolm@ster - Couldn't make it through the 3ep test. The idols involved just didn't grab me and of course it doesn't help that these series tend to pick up the less quirky idols as their main ones.
Bullbuster - The concept is cool, but the execution is a bit to be desired. The main character didn't hook me and the mecha action wasn't all that great.
Under Ninja - Others mentioned the non-linear plotting as something that took them out of it and I felt like I was more on board with it than others. That said, with all of the series I was already watching, this one just sorta fell by the wayside more because of my own personal tastes than as an actual flaw of the series.

Series on the backlog
Undead Unluck - It was only my list to pick up, but I just never got around to starting so it goes on the backlog.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

It ends right after Angeline gets back to Orphen from the grand duke's mansion.

And yeah the unique art style of the manga isn't preserved at all.

I thought the voice cast was great though. Belgrieve's really conveys his great dad vibes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I liked the voice cast too. They did a good job with the material.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
It makes sense that William G. Maryblood is so strong, I mean you would have to have a great deal of leg strength to support having balls that massive

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Was that ancient site in Pluto supposed to be the Valley of the Temples?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arbite posted:

Was that ancient site in Pluto supposed to be the Valley of the Temples?

I think it's meant to be the Parthenon since Hercules is Greek and it appears to be right across the sea from where Brando fights Pluto, Brando being Turkish. It would be the kind of cynical move you'd expect to build a big statue commemorating Hercules's exploits atop a world heritage site.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I think it's meant to be the Parthenon since Hercules is Greek and it appears to be right across the sea from where Brando fights Pluto, Brando being Turkish. It would be the kind of cynical move you'd expect to build a big statue commemorating Hercules's exploits atop a world heritage site.

That makes some sense, I suppose Agrigento also being right on the coast and having a temple to Heracles made me think that might be it (that and visiting there this summer).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/hyakkano_anime/status/1738922222813868075?t=psn-mGgRxYOuornYde_iCA&s=19

100 girlfriends, two seasons

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 29 days!)

A Returner's Magic Should Be Special 12
this filler extending the fight for the final episode for no reason..
instead of the fight ending after he instant gravity spells the guy originally in the source material, they give the bad guy some random powerup.
very fillerish, before when the MC has no trouble instant nullifying magic, he's just not able to do it now for some reason and takes some hits for no reason

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

While I didn't hate Otona Precure it does feel like it wasted its potential both with reusing Yes footage/dealing the cast as Cures and not dealing deeper with some of the themes it set up. It struck me during the finale that it felt like an All Stars movie stretched out to one cour, complete with a scene you'd expect the miracle lights to show up

I was super amused at at the Coco/Nozomi wedding photo. Just embrace the weirdness/messy nature of it

Also 100% Saki and Mai are gonna end up ditching their spouses to live together. Just a dumb self forced error

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was insane when sakis final scene at the airport did not feature, her husband, but did feature, mai. was her husband just not there.

there were a few things i liked (bunbee yelling that this 'wasnt the time to cheer the precures on, but do something yourself,' nozomis refrain that this 'wasnt a story about a faraway country, or a stranger," but the shows view of environmental issues was extremely childish, as shown by stuff like showing a guy leaving his bathroom light on. like, yeah, that guy leaving his bathroom light on all night is wasting power, but how much power do you think NFTs (something Toei has an ongoing project of, DenDekaDen) wastes comparatively.

The ending with some random punks littering is kind of a cool 'has anyone really learned anything,' but the show's absolutely terrified of acknowledging corporations and government as the real culprits of environmental issues, with the average individual power's to change those being limited. They touch on it very occasionally, but Rin going 'well what if we dont use conflict minerals in our jewelry' and everyone going 'my god... i never thought of that' was insane.

There's points where it even plays like self-parody. It feels like gatchaman crowds for pre-verbal children. But all the emotional stuff relies on you having knowledge of a nearly 20 year old precure series. So I don't know who its for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also milks sudden turn into being prime minister of the palmier kingdom and ending the monarchy is cool, but it happens in the literal last four minutes of the episode and they do not have her talk to coco, the king, about it, so iunno how the hell that is going to get resolved. will the palmier kingdom have a bloody civil war?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also seriously are nuts and coco brothers or not because theyve never been clear on it. theyre both the princes of the same kingdom. i guess they could be cousins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also where the gently caress was mailpo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope every additional cour they just update this image to make his arms longer

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
The final relationship chart for 100 Girlfriends is going to be more complex than the dialog trees in Baulder's Gate 3.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

it was insane when sakis final scene at the airport did not feature, her husband, but did feature, mai. was her husband just not there.

there were a few things i liked (bunbee yelling that this 'wasnt the time to cheer the precures on, but do something yourself,' nozomis refrain that this 'wasnt a story about a faraway country, or a stranger," but the shows view of environmental issues was extremely childish, as shown by stuff like showing a guy leaving his bathroom light on. like, yeah, that guy leaving his bathroom light on all night is wasting power, but how much power do you think NFTs (something Toei has an ongoing project of, DenDekaDen) wastes comparatively.

The ending with some random punks littering is kind of a cool 'has anyone really learned anything,' but the show's absolutely terrified of acknowledging corporations and government as the real culprits of environmental issues, with the average individual power's to change those being limited. They touch on it very occasionally, but Rin going 'well what if we dont use conflict minerals in our jewelry' and everyone going 'my god... i never thought of that' was insane.

There's points where it even plays like self-parody. It feels like gatchaman crowds for pre-verbal children. But all the emotional stuff relies on you having knowledge of a nearly 20 year old precure series. So I don't know who its for.

Which is especially weird since this was supposed to be a show aimed at the more adult fanbase (and while it was cool to see them and I wish we’d gotten to meet them as adults outside of some promotional artwork I’m not entirely sure what the point of dragging the Futari team into this at the very end was). Though at least the Kiryuu sisters got probably the most focus they’ve had since Splash Star

Sort of curious how the upcoming Maho Girls sequel is going to work now

SatoshiMiwa posted:

While I didn't hate Otona Precure it does feel like it wasted its potential both with reusing Yes footage/dealing the cast as Cures and not dealing deeper with some of the themes it set up. It struck me during the finale that it felt like an All Stars movie stretched out to one cour, complete with a scene you'd expect the miracle lights to show up

I was super amused at at the Coco/Nozomi wedding photo. Just embrace the weirdness/messy nature of it

Also 100% Saki and Mai are gonna end up ditching their spouses to live together. Just a dumb self forced error

I’m pretty sure Mai broke up with her boyfriend at the end of the Splash Star team’s first focus episode

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

i liked otona but definitely cooled on it the more it went on. but honestly most of my issues with it are basically just standard precure issues aside from the awful cg blob monsters. I do think the decision to bring in the splash stars was not a good one, just diluted the story way too much, and also their focus episodes were like the weakest character focus episodes by a decent amount. Would have much rather gotten an actual Kurumi episode instead.

also it's hosed up they didn't bring masuko back at all

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Saki’s little sister just vanished off the face of the earth as well (even though we saw her parents a few times)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i didnt try otona but ive definitely cooled on hirogaru a lot in the second half. i liked the mashiro and battamonda episodes but otherwise nothing else in the past like 20 weeks has been memorable.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

Yeah it felt like it probably should of just focused on the concept of fulfilling Dreams not equaling happiness cause that's where the shows was the strongest and not tried to do Environmental issues cause it just split the focus and was surface level at best. Hell probably the best episode was the Kurumi/Karen episode cause it was more along those lines (and also had hammered Kurumi)

Endorph posted:

also milks sudden turn into being prime minister of the palmier kingdom and ending the monarchy is cool, but it happens in the literal last four minutes of the episode and they do not have her talk to coco, the king, about it, so iunno how the hell that is going to get resolved. will the palmier kingdom have a bloody civil war?

That was super amusing and I kinda of wish the series was that TNH

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Toppling the monarchy at about the same time Nozomi technically becomes the new queen feels like a very Milk thing for her to do however

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Otona Precure really disappointed me because it had a strong start but once it settled into its episodic structure it focused so hard on hitting its broad narrative beats it barely had any opportunity to actually explore any of its emotions or ideas anymore. And after the difficult ambivalence of Nozomi's story with her student the successive conflicts felt too facile, wrapped up too tidily. It ends up feeling kind of half-baked, almost like a proof of concept of a show.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dark Gathering ending on a huge cliffhanger. :argh:

I mean, I knew it was coming but dammit I got invested in these ghost hunter weirdos and want more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i assume the mahogirls sequel will be more normal since it seems much more like a direct, 'the continuing adventures of' rather than a radical paradigm shift

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually I'm really hoping the Maho girls sequel deals with the time when Mirai was on her own cause the was probably the best single episode of Maho girls. Just a tone Precure normally doesn't go for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Either way I’m hoping we start getting some news regarding that fairly soon

Provided they were handled decently I wouldn’t mind seeing a few more Precure sequel shows in the future as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 24, 2023