Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
My body is ready. 31 films for me.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Basebf555 posted:

By all means post suggestions and have free flowing discussion here. It adds to the thread I think, sometimes things can get a bit monotonous when it's just write-up after write-up without any comments or discussion.

Great! Then allow me to offer some possible fun challenge movies to the thread!

Cursed (2004): A fun obscure Japanese ghost story, good for the Foreign Film challenge, about a haunted convenience store that kills people if they ring up a purchase with a certain total. A little too tame at points but a fun watch with good atmosphere and fun points about being a cog in the machine, and I love the ending.

The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, & Her Lover: With Michael Gambon's recent passing now's a great time to check this out for Horror-Adjacent and Around the World. A beautifully nasty movie with gorgeous use of color and music and an absolutely mesmerizing performance by Gambon as the villain. If you have a strong stomach, wanted The Menu to go harder than it did, and like gruesome satire, this is a movie that'll stick in your brain.

Multiple Maniacs: One of John Waters' earliest films, great as a Horror-Adjacent comedy-horror with a Queer Director. Some may not agree with the horror designation, but as a queer person this movie uses outrageous nastiness to explore sexual assault and our own fear of how society Others us, and without saying too much has a few excellent horror staples in the last act and a great ending that is hilarious, satirical, and horrible in equal measure.

Shiva Baby: Hilarious and agonizing horror-comedy by a Queer Female Director where the horror is having to survive a gathering with your extended family, your ex, and your side-lay. Avoid this one if second-hand embarrassment makes your stomach churn. I'd even argue it's much more of a horror than a comedy!

Thirst: A great and gory Korean vampire film by the always-exceptional Park Chan-Wook featuring a priest who meets and falls for a woman and vampire shenanigans ensue. Medical horror, religious horror, and a bit of a bloodbath all in one. Great atmosphere and an awesome ending.

I'm sure I'll be rewatching a few of these during my own challenge so I hope to see others pick them up too :)

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah one of my favorite parts of these challenges is watching a movie someone else reviewed so I we can talk about it or something like that. You don’t want to get into heated debate or anything but it’s fun to talk movies with your friends.

I’m of course in. I’ll get my poo poo together tonight. But thanks to Basebf for doing this, for Fran for all the years of service, for GMM for doing May, to Dali for the poll (which all I did was make some lists for), everyone who suggested challenges, and everyone who will take part and helps make this community what it is. Here’s to another fun and safe spooky season.

I should have suggested a challenge where someone watches a movie off the Bracketology master list to go with GMM’s poll challenge. Ah well. Live and learn.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 29, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I should have suggested a challenge where someone watches a movie off the Bracketology master list to go with GMM’s poll challenge. Ah well. Live and learn.

I added an addendum to that challenge where you can complete it by watching a Bracketology movie, and I included your 2023 Bracketology list.

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

1) Roh (Indonesia, 1989)

A pretty much shot for shot remake of Hellraiser, which means it's pretty damned good! Indonesia put out some really solid
horrorfilms in the 80s, mostly involving witches and female demons. Definitely start checking some out if you want
something new to the palette.

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 1/4

Lamanda fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 29, 2023

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I think the only movies I havent seen on the SA list is Altered States and Lifeforce. Guess I’ll try hunting them down

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lamanda posted:

Didn't check the date lol, I'll just pretend I wrote this the day after tomorrow

Challenge officially starts now. You can get a decent chunk of the challenges done before October even begins!

weekly font posted:

I think the only movies I havent seen on the SA list is Altered States and Lifeforce. Guess I’ll try hunting them down

Lifeforce is very worth the effort to track down. That said, remember that you can rewatch something if you want to.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Lifeforce is a loving time.

I'm just starting from the top of the challenges and working my way down. Looked at the late 20th century list, picked one I've not seen at random, so I guess I'm gonna watch Wishmaster. Any movie featuring Robert Englund, Kane Hodder AND Tony Todd cannot be bad, I refuse to believe that's even a possibility.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The only problem with Wishmaster is that there was nothing they were gonna be able to do to top that opening scene. Fun movie though.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aiming for 31+ this year, thanks to everyone who helped organize the challenge!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

In for 31 and will try to fill the bingo card as usual. Thanks to everyone who helped organize! I'm going to use bingo card #9 (if anyone else wants to use the same one we can be card buddies).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pouring rain? Check. Changing foliage? Check. Homemade pizza in the oven? Check. A fully charged vape and enough weed to overgrow a fairy tale castle? Check.

Halloween kitten? Check. (And petted.)

Okay let's get this popping off.

The other day I was talking to my sister about Friday the 13th. You know, as you do. And I realized I hosed up the chronology a day later. Bothered me for ages after. So I'm adding a special spicy challenge this year just for me : I'm going to rewatch all of the Friday the 13th franchise before Friday, October 13th.

I think this poster is frequently under-rated.

It's the classic, it's the original. I'm not gonna go into the plot because there isn't much of one yet, but I always forget how much of a vibes movie this is. Most of it is just kind of dicking around punctuated by some good Tom Savini gore and strip Monopoly.

Going forward, I want to keep track of 3 things : 1) where are we? and 2) How many people has Jason killed and how? 3) Are there ever actually any campers at Camp Crystal Lake in the diegetically modern part of the story? I don't remember and don't tell me it's part of the project

1) We're near Hope, NJ according to the sign outside the cemetery where Annie gets dropped off. So Western New Jersey. a.k.a. the nice part we pretend is in Pennsylvania.
2) No one because Jason is either dead or off in the woods with a sack on his head or something. I'm gonna make a big running list in the future, but Mrs. Vorhees killed all these jobronis so they don't get to go on it. RIP to Barry, Claudette, Annie, Ned, Marcie, Jack (Kevin Bacon), Bill, Steve and Brenda. And also Pamela Voorhees, I guess. You can never trust a Pam.
3) Lol no. Steve inherited the camp from his parents, the Christys, and is trying to refurbish it for a big re-opening.

Also, do we know what day it is when all this happens? I'm gonna keep an eye on that. Steve promised Alice he'd drive her to the bus on Friday if she still wasn't happy. Then everyone died later that night. Do any of these take place on a Friday the 13th? I'm gonna keep my eye out for any calendars in the background.

Hell, what month is it? If they're opening the camp soon it must be late Spring-early Summer right?

Good start. I don't know when the last time I watched the early ones was. I think it was a long, long time ago. Like before I could shave and I'm comfortably in my mid-30's now.

1/31
I'll update challenges when they become relevant so they're not scattered across 30-some posts

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Are the bingo cards all the same, i.e. do they all have all of the challenges on them?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Count Thrashula posted:

Are the bingo cards all the same, i.e. do they all have all of the challenges on them?

They should have all challenges on them, yea. The only difference is the placement of each challenge on the card. Let me know if you see a card that's missing a challenge.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Let's kick things off with a new-to-me FF classic: [•REC]!

quote:

Ten years in to the found-footage revolution started by Blair Witch, and [•REC] would seem to have crystallized the formula. Possessed of no new ideas and a lot more incoherent screaming than you'd expect from neighbors who'd lived together for years stuck in their apartment building, [•REC] grinds through its progressions from 'guy is bit and seemingly dies' to 'transgressive choice of who turns next' to its money shot that was wasted in the trailer.

At least it's short, and there's a few good scenes of character work before it all goes sideways, but if you're a huge fan of FF this remains the peak of what the genre can do, and if you're not, well too bad but you can't do much better than this.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: / 5,

1. Rec
Challenges: GOAT (Videotapes)
Meta Challenges: new-to-you, history lesson (00s) around the world (EU)

Meta Progress: NTY: 1/6, HL: 1/5 ATW: 1/4, HIFE: 0/3

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 1, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m gonna be kind to myself (or rude to myself depending) and just sign up for lucky 13. hoping to start throwing down tonight—feel free to toss around any dark fantasy or sword-and-sorcery recs to make the transition from spending all my time on Baller’s GOAT 3 a little easier!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 9, 2023

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'm so glad we can do rewatches for the individual challenges now.

It was getting to the point where I really had to dig to find new films to watch and, honestly, it just became a labor that distracted me from the celebration of horror. I found myself getting a little annoyed especially towards the end of the month trying to find something and just not having fun anymore.

Thanks for lifting this rule, it's going to make things much easier and fun!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Oct 9, 2023

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Yeah, I usually only watch things I haven't seen before, but with some of the challenges it'd be really hard for the movie to be something I haven't seen already.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’ll second the Perkins Hansel and Gretel movie.

It’s got Alice Krige as the witch. The most obvious slam dunk casting choice.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
Hello I am going to do the thing.

My personal challenge is 31 movies that are new to me, including the entries in the Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Friday the 13th franchises that I have still never seen for whatever reason.

https://letterboxd.com/twernt/list/spooky-october-2023-shameful-omissions/

For the rest of the 31, I'm wondering if it would be feasible to take requests. Here's everything that I know I've seen, so if someone suggests something and it's available to me, I'll add it to the list above and watch it. Maybe it will be a disaster. Who knows?

https://letterboxd.com/twernt/films/genre/horror/

I also usually do the extra challenges so I'm grabbing Bingo Card Lucky 7.

https://mfbc.us/m/rsgk447/7

Challenge Tallies for reference

Personal Challenge 22/22
1. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989); 2. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995); 3. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998); 4. Halloween: Resurrection (2002); 5. Halloween (2007); 6. Halloween II (2009); 7. Halloween (2018); 8. Halloween Kills (2021); 9. Halloween Ends (2022); 10. A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989); 11. Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991); 12. New Nightmare (1994); 13. A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010); 14. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984); 15. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (1985); 16. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives (1986); 17. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988); 18. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan (1989); 19. Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday (1993); 20. Jason X (2001); 21. Freddy vs. Jason (2003); 22. Friday the 13th (2009)

Individual Bonus Challenges 13/13
CineD HORROR THREAD POLL CHALLENGE - Halloween (2018)
FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE - Freddy vs. Jason (2003)
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK…..IN SPACE!!! - Jason X (2001)
BIRTH OF HORROR - Deadbeat at Dawn (1988)
ROB ZOMBIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE - Halloween (2007)
”THAT GUY” CHALLENGE FEATURING DICK MILLER AND KEITH DAVID - The Premature Burial (1962)
THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE - Antrum (2018)
HORROR ADJACENT - Caltiki, the Immortal Monster (1959)
WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK! - Razorback (1984)
BACK OF THE VIDEO STORE CHALLENGE - The Night Eats the World (2018)
CHILDHOOD TRAUMA - Prince of Darkness (1987)
BITE-SIZED HORROR - V/H/S: Viral (2014)
THE SAMHAIN CHALLENGE - Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)

Meta Bonus Challenges 4/4
NEW-TO-YOU 6/6 - Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989); Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998); Halloween: Resurrection (2002); Halloween II (2009); Halloween Kills (2021); Halloween Ends (2022)
HISTORY LESSON 5/5 - Martin (1977), A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child (1989); Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991); Friday the 13th (2009); A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE 3/3 - Lyle (2014); Sweetheart (2019); Slumber Party Massacre II (1987)
AROUND THE WORLD 4/4 - Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000); Terrified (2017); Demonia (1990); Saloum (2021)

twernt fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 19, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
1. Evil Judgement - 1984
Solid if nothing too special of a slasher. Good use of sexist useless cops lol. Shot pretty well, the mansion set was pretty cool. The twists were very giallo esque. My main knock is that the lead should have left Dino's chauvinist rear end in the end.

Kick rear end score.

3/5

2. The Psychic - 1977
Fulci put out one hell of a banger with this one. Looks great, love that red room. He builds suspense so well, and a few sequences had me on the edge of my seat. And that ending is crazy good. I loved how intrusive the psychic images are in the movie. Jennifer O'Neill was fantastic, some amazing facial expressions. As usual with these movies, it has an incredible score that just oushes the film up in quality so much.

I'm a big fan of Fulci so me gushing over this should be expected lol, he did not disappoint at all. The 4k transfer by severin is flawless imo.

4.5/5

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

2. Wishmaster

Challenge: Horror Poll Challenge, History Lesson (90s), New To You

The vibes this movie gives off in buckets is "particularly gory Power Rangers episode", in the best way possible. Tonnes of horror mainstay appearances (seeing Robert Englund, Kane Hodder and Tony Todd in the credits is like my Avengers) who get to come and ham it up for a bit. The script gets really tortured to try and work in those ironic wishes, the main actress would be in over her head if this was a Power Rangers episode based on her acting, and the CGI stuff looks like it was made in powerpoint which really does a disservice to the great practical effects, but it's a pretty fun movie. Just really sets the bar too high for itself with that opening five minutes.

3 out of 5!

Watched so far: Saw X, Wishmaster.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 29, 2023

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I just moved so I'll only promise 31 this time. Need to marathon a bunch of stuff leaving Criterion first tho.

And as always, for anyone who wants to browse prior challenge threads for ideas:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I'm down for 31.

First order of business, I spent the summer catching non-horror movies from countries that have never made a horror movie, meaning that there are now only 17 countries (or "countries", since Letterboxd counts a whole bunch of territories) that I haven't seen anything from.

Coincidentally, https://boxd.it/h1rAG

7 horror shorts, 10 horror movies, and I've got every spec of dirt on the planet done.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I got 31 in me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

1. Rec
Challenges: Rob Zombie, GOAT (Videotapes)
Meta Challenges: new-to-you, history lesson (00s) around the world

Meta Progress: NTY: 1/6, HL: 1/5 ATW: 1/4, HIFE: 0/3

GOAT's GOATs is what you're calling the horror thread poll challenge right? You've split it up into two, what's the difference between the two?

Also with the individual challenges you have to stick to one film per challenge. Can't use REC for Rob Zombie and GOATs GOATs, gotta choose one.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year! In for 31.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

2) Insidious - 2010 - MAX

I've had this on a watchlist for a long while and just didn't get around to it until Red Door was coming out and figured I might as well get the mole out of my rear end and finally watch it. That I got an earful in the breakroom over 'how have you not have sat through Insidious yet??', might've added to the push to see it.

For what's a fairly standard 'average family gets touched by the paranormal' film, this was rather well done. It moved at a good pace and the actors did a good job. It ended on enough of an engaging cliffhanger that I started watching the sequel soon as the credits started.

This is a recommend from me.

3) Insidious: Chapter 2 - 2013 - MAX

This one directly picks up from the end of the first film, and it's just as good as the first one. I'd synopsis this but it'd be too spoilery. Everything meshes so well that it feels like it's best to do a double feature with the first film just because of the callbacks and elaborations. It ends on a positive note that makes one curious to see where they go next in the franchise.

It's definitely worth doing as a double feature with the first film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've got my to-watch stack ready to go

Bit small of a stack, but enough to satisfy the New-To-You challenge.

I'm also going to be working off bingo card #6, which I picked at random.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
1. Dagon - 2001

I don't know why I hadn't seen this before, I'm a big fan of Re-Animator and From Beyond, and I huge Lovecraft nerd, but this movie never seemed to have the horror cred of the others. I can see why, there's some tonal dissonance between the choice to use hand held cameras and lots of close ups, while also using some cartoonish fighting and cheesy one-liners. It's like they couldn't decide whether they wanted to try to make the viewer uncomfortable by making the violence and threats real by putting us right in the middle of the suffering or stick with the previously proven horror-comedy style of Re-Animator. I think the movie would have been better if Stuart Gordon committed to a path.

Since it's a Gordon film the practical effects are great, very wet and gloopy. There are a couple terrible CGI effects that are probably a product of the time and budget. I didn't think the lead actor was strong enough to carry the movie, but the supporting cast is great.

4/5

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dagon owns.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
:siren:Bonus Challenge #1: The Samhain Challenge:siren:

1. The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror III (1992), The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VI (1995). The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VIII (1997)

Watched On: Disney+

I figured I’d start this year’s challenge with me revisiting some stuff that got me into horror as a kid. It was TV Halloween specials that aired at a time when I was picking out my costume at 7 in preparation to raid the neighbours for candy. The Simpsons has a still-going tradition of airing a Halloween episode every year and these early episodes were my entry point into horror. That later extended into Goosebumps books and Are You Afraid of the Dark episodes laying a foundation for when I began watching Scream and such in my early adolescence.

What can I say here? This is classic golden age Simpsons with it’s sharp writing and tongue-in-cheek homages to horror works. This might have been how I was kinda “introduced” to films like King Kong, Romero zombie films, Hitchcock works and everything else the series parodied with these specials. So glad I got a chance to re-visit a lot of them, it’s all classic and holds up.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/4

Total: 1. The Samhain Challenge

Spooky Bingo Card

Bonus Challenge
The Samhain Challenge: The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror III (1992), The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VI (1995). The Simpsons: Treehouse of Horror VIII (1997)

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 30, 2023

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 9, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shrecknet posted:

There's two parentheticals; goatsgoats (tapes) for the "I have to return some tapes" list and "House" for the other one

Ahhh I somehow never thought to look at the name of the lists haha

Wet Tie Affair
May 8, 2008

P-I-Z-Z-A

I will try this again. In for at least 31 new to me, and will try and complete the challenges along with those from this year's Hooptober Challenge https://letterboxd.com/cinemonster/list/hooptober-x-hooptober-hooptober-let-satan/.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I know I already started my bingo card but I have a question about the numbers in parathesis for some of the challenges.

I assume that (x2) means you have to complete it twice (if I'm wrong please tell me) but it's the (2) and (3) behind some of them that is confusing me. For "History Lesson" it says to watch movies from 5 different decades but I'm thinking (2) means you only have to watch them from 2. Again, if I'm wrong please correct me.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

2. Attack the Block

quote:

A very of-its-time feature from 2011 focusing all the way in on a single block of public housing and the wayward grime-rap listening, cockney-slang spewing group of hooligans protecting it from the titular attack.

Boyega impresses the most, obviously, but everyone has a part to play, and the monster design and effects are suitably impressive. There are several ratcheting clocks and the redemption arc Moses receives is a good one, he definitely does not start the movie as a street tough with a heart of gold like Aladdin.

Everyone has their part to play and there's lots of fun setpieces, although the monsters never quite feel dangerous or relentless enough to really set the stakes. An enjoyable time at the movies, though nothing earth-breaking.
:spooky::spooky::spooky: ½ / 5,

1. Rec 2. Attack the Block

Challenges: Horror-Adjacent (Sci-Fi)
Meta Challenges: new-to-you, history lesson (10s)

Meta Progress: NTY: 2/6, HL: 2/5 ATW: 1/4, HIFE: 0/3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 9, 2023