Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a much more flexible schedule this year so I'll do the full 31 and plan to hit the challenges

I'll take card 30

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I'm going to go for 31 new to me or rewatches of movies I haven't seen in 20 years, thank you for the thread

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Justin Godscock posted:

I know I already started my bingo card but I have a question about the numbers in parathesis for some of the challenges.

I assume that (x2) means you have to complete it twice (if I'm wrong please tell me) but it's the (2) and (3) behind some of them that is confusing me. For "History Lesson" it says to watch movies from 5 different decades but I'm thinking (2) means you only have to watch them from 2. Again, if I'm wrong please correct me.

Yea you have to complete the challenge that many times to complete that square. For History Lesson it's a combined 5, there are two different squares for it.

The challenges weren't really designed with a bingo card in mind, which is why some of it is a bit awkward, but this is just an alternate way to visualize the challenges if you want to use it. If you want to you can just complete the challenges one by one and forget the bingo card.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just gunna keep going until I pass out.

I’ve got this pile of physicals that are both first time watches and rewatches

And this Letterboxd list to use as a resource:
https://boxd.it/pr13g

And a big list of first time (both in theater and in general) theater watches this month coming up.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
In for at least 31, and setting this post as my viewing tracker.

Films Watched (* indicates a rewatch)
#1.) Sick Nurses (2007; DVD; dir. Piraphan Laoyont & Thodsapol Siriwiwat)
#2.) Terror Tales (2016; DVD; dir. Jimmy Lee Combs)
#3.) Demon Wind (1990; Shudder; dir. Charles Philip Moore)
#4.) Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959; DVD; dir. Bernard L. Kowalski)
#5.) Followed (2018; DVD; dir. Antoine Le)
#6.) The Roommate (2008; Tubi; dir. Hisaaki Nagaoka)
#7.) Ghost Storyteller (2014; digital; dir. Hajime Ohata)
#8.) The Undertaker (1988; Tubi; dir. Franco Steffanino)
#9.) Murder Weapon (1989; digital; dir. David DeCoteau [as Ellen Cabot])
#10.) Siren (2004; digital; dir. Satoshi Torao)
#11.) The Females (1970; digital; dir. Zbyněk Brynych)
#12.) The Deadly Mantis (1957; digital; dir. Nathan H. Juran)
#13.) Exposé (1976; Tubi; dir. James Kenelm Clarke)
#14.) The Black Water Vampire (2014; DVD; dir. Evan Tramel)
#15.) Wake Up to Fight Biting Ghosts (1991; DVD; dir. Prapon Petchinn)
#16.) Earth vs. The Flying Saucers (1956; Tubi; dir. Fred F. Sears)
#17.) The Necro Files (1997; Tubi; dir. Matt Jaissle)
#18.) Shaolin vs. Evil Dead (2004; DVD; dir. Douglas Kung Cheung-Tak)
#19.) Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolf Man (1973; Tubi; dir. Miguel M. Delgado)
#20.) Agi, The Fury of Evil (1984; Youtube; dir. Hikari Hayakawa)
#21.) Nighty Night (1986; Youtube; dir. Hirohisa Kokusho)
#22.) It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955; digital; dir. Robert Gordon)
#23.) The Spell (2019; digital; dir. Amit Dubey)
#24.) Arachnophobia (1990; Tubi; dir. Frank Marshall) *
#25.) Evil Little Things (2020; DVD; dir. Matt Green)
#26.) At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul (1964; Youtube; dir. José Mojica Marins)
#27.) Blood Curse (2006; DVD; dir. Tiago Guedes & Frederico Serra)
#28.) Grotesque (2009; Tubi; dir. Koji Shiraishi)
#29.) She Devil (1957; digital; dir. Kurt Neumann)
#30.) 24 Hours of Terror (1964; digital; dir. Gastone Grandi)
#31.) The Great Satan (2018; Tubi; dir. Dimitri Simakis, Lehr Beidelschies, and Nic Maier)
#32.) The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976; Prime Video; dir. Charles B. Pierce)
#33.) The Day Time Ended (1980; Tubi; dir. John “Bud” Cardos)
#34.) Sickle (2015; digital; dir. Geno McGahee & Forris Day Jr.)
#35.) The Figurine: Araromire (2009; Netflix; dir. Kunle Afolayan)
#36.) Ghost Writer (1989; Tubi; dir. Kenneth J. Hall)
#37.) Baby Oopsie (2021; Tubi; dir. William Butler)
#38.) Shaolin vs. Evil Dead 2: Ultimate Power (2006; DVD; dir. Douglas Kung Cheung-Tak & Ken Yip Wing-Kin)
#39.) Hellinger (1997; Tubi; dir. Massimiliano Cerchi)
#40.) The Crawling Eye (1958; Pluto TV; dir. Quentin Lawrence)
#41.) Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat (1989; Freevee; dir. Anthony Hickox)
#42.) The Fear Chamber (2009; DVD; dir. Kevin Carraway)
#43.) The Ghost Train (1939; digital; dir. Karel Lamač)
#44.) Wacko (1982; Blu-ray; dir. Greydon Clark) *
#45.) Leprechaun in the Hood (2000; Blu-ray; dir. Rob Spera) *
#46.) The Brotherhood III: Young Demons (2002; Plex; dir. David DeCoteau)
#47.) Freaks (1932; Scream Stream; dir. Tod Browning)
#48.) The Brotherhood IV: The Complex (2005; Plex; dir. David DeCoteau)
#49.) The Brotherhood V: Alumni (2009; Plex; dir. David DeCoteau)
#50.) The Brotherhood VI: Initiation (2009; Plex; dir. David DeCoteau)
#51.) The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974; digital; dir. Roy Ward Baker & Chang Cheh)
#52.) The Toymaker (2017; Tubi; dir. Andrew Jones)
#53.) Skinner (1993; Tubi; dir. Ivan Nagy)
#54.) Mirror Mirror III: The Voyeur (1995; Tubi; dir. Rachel Gordon & Virginia Perfili)
#55.) Killer Party (1986; Scream Stream; dir. William Fruet)
#56.) V/H/S/85 (2023; Shudder; dir. Scott Derrickson, David Bruckner, Mike P. Nelson, Gigi Saul Guerrero, and Natasha Kermani)
#57.) Hard to Die (1990; digital; dir. Jim Wynorski)
#58.) Candyman: Day of the Dead (1999; Prime Video; dir. Turi Meyer)
#59.) Double Face (1969; digital; dir. Riccardo Freda)
#60.) The Guyver (1991; digital; dir. Screaming Mad George & Steve Wang) *
#61.) Guyver: Out of Control (1986; digital; dir. Hiroshi Watanabe) *
#62.) A Clockwork Orange (1971; Scream Stream; dir. Stanley Kubrick) *
#63.) Guyver: Dark Hero (1994; digital; dir. Steve Wang) *
#64.) Mirror Mirror 4: Reflections (2000; Tubi; dir. Paulette Victor-Lifton)
#65.) Urban Legends: Bloody Mary (2005; Tubi; dir. Mary Lambert)
#66.) Puppet Master: Doktor Death (2022; Tubi; dir. Dave Parker)
#67.) The Most Dangerous Game (1932; Prime Video; dir. Ernest B. Schoedsack & Irving Pichel)
#68.) Trancers (1984; Tubi; dir. Charles Band) *
#69.) CarousHell: The 2nd (2021; digital; dir. Steve Rudzinski)

Challenges Cleared
:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 6/6 (Sick Nurses, Terror Tales, Demon Wind, Attack of the Giant Leeches, Followed, The Roommate)
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 5/5 (Sick Nurses, Terror Tales, Demon Wind, Attack of the Giant Leeches, The Undertaker)
:spooky:BIRTH OF HORROR:spooky: (Murder Weapon)
:spooky:HORROR ADJACENT:spooky: (Earth vs. The Flying Saucers)
:spooky:BITE-SIZED HORROR:spooky: (Terror Tales)
:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 4/4 (Sick Nurses, The Females, At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, The Figurine: Araromire)
:spooky:CHILDHOOD TRAUMA :spooky: (Arachnophobia)
:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky: 3/3 (Sick Nurses, The Females, The Figurine: Araromire)
:spooky:THE SAMHAIN CHALLENGE:spooky: (Followed)
:spooky:BACK OF THE VIDEO STORE CHALLENGE:spooky: (The Undertaker)
:spooky:PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK…..IN SPACE!!!:spooky: (Agi, The Fury of Evil)
:spooky:CineD HORROR THREAD POLL CHALLENGE:spooky: (The Town That Dreaded Sundown)
:spooky:WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK!:spooky: (Attack of the Giant Leeches)
:spooky:ROB ZOMBIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE:spooky: (The Necro Files)
:spooky:THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE:spooky: (Demon Wind)
:spooky:FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE:spooky: (Santo and Blue Demon vs. Dracula and the Wolf Man)
:spooky:”THAT GUY” CHALLENGE FEATURING DICK MILLER AND KEITH DAVID :spooky: (Ghost Writer)

(bingo card #13)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 1, 2023

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

1. Basket Case (1982) (Rewatch)
Started with a rewatch. Always nice to see Henenlotter's NYC, hot wet and grimy. Less funny than I remembered, but also a better movie than I remembered - the pacing is good, the minor actors are usually funny even if they're not exactly great performers, and the stop motion stuff is a hoot. I wish Belial didn't just spend every scene screaming AHHHHHHHHHHH though. Give that lil dude a lozenge and maybe he will chill out!

:skeltal: 3.5/5

This completes :spooky: CineD Horror Thread Poll Challenge :spooky: (though I'm going to watch one movie from each of the two thread lists before I cross off the bingo squares).

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

In for 20! Already excited, got some goodies lined up this month anyways.
I didn't know about this thread until just now, but this afternoon I rented a couple of things that I wonder if qualify:
Begotten (1989) is perhaps a fringe case - never seen it, but I expect "Horror" is the closest category (besides "Bizarre", the section it was in at the rental place)
and also Testament (1983), which I've never seen either and am excited for - I'm fixated on this sort of nuclear cautionary tale

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#1.) Sick Nurses (2007; DVD; dir. Piraphan Laoyont & Thodsapol Siriwiwat)

A doctor and his group of nurses sell corpses. When one of the nurses threatens to expose their practices, the others kill her; a haunting and flashbacks ensue.

Emphasizing stylish impressionism and implications over concrete and linear explication, the movie jumps around from one short, punchy scene to the next, often without resolving the events of one before moving to the next. The camera-work is a good match for this approach, with quick cuts, unusual angles, and creatively focused framing, there's a lot of kinetic energy conveyed through the shots, and it manages to fit with the somewhat choppy nature of the story-telling to keep things hopping along. The jumpiness lessens towards the end, as the plot threads pull together and important points are revealed, but the initial momentum generated by the early approach does considerable work in carrying viewers along for the ride.

As for the characters, bizarre behavior is the norm, from eating a doughnut with a mouthful of toothpaste, to cutting out and wearing jewelry from magazine pages, to using four shampoos at once. These bizarre behaviors click into place with the elliptical story-telling, usually providing a memorable note to a scene before the viewer is thrown into the next one. The ghost is a surprisingly prevalent presence on-screen, looking something like a photo negative version of her living self, but done with practical effects and makeup.

The ghost's confrontations with her killers are almost as strange as their individual behaviors, and there's a nice touch of her manifestations being indicated by the darkening of her victim's limbs or other body parts to match the ghost's appearance. Though it's a near-persistent revenge tale, the movie seems less interested in moralizing than in showcasing the gruesome vengeance. Thankfully, those scenes are executed with substantial style and skill (and weirdness), so the numerous tortures and killings don't become a slog. The finale doesn't disappoint, either, though it does trade away the frenzied energy from the start for a more somber tone; credit to the director for making this shift work as well as it does. While there are some parts that could have been trimmed out for a tighter scope to the story, the film as a whole comes off well, with memorable moments and content which lives up to its title.

“If the dead want to be jealous, that's up to them.”

Rating: 8/10 :spooky:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 1/6
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 1/5 (2000s)
:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 1/4 (Asia)
:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky: 1/3 (LGBTQ+)

#2.) Terror Tales (2016; DVD; dir. Jimmy Lee Combs)

A man on a road trip with his family is forced to listen to three terrible horror stories, or else his family will be killed.

In the first segment, we get a muddled story of a horror author mother put on trial for the death of her son. After a verdict of innocent, she's shot dead, and taken on a Christmas Carol-like tour of the events of her life as they related to her son. The special effects are atrocious (one gunshot looks like it could have been rendered with the MS Paint spray tool), the acting is literally laughable, and the story is reminiscent of a sophomore's second draft in creative writing. Even the set dressing is terrible.

The second one is a lovely attempt at a period piece, set in an '80s video rental store beset by a serial killer with a sledgehammer. Resolutely tedious, there's never even a glimmer of tension or excitement. The attempts to imitate the era's aesthetics make The Wedding Singer look like a documentary in comparison, and while the main actors bring much more life to their roles than anyone in the first segment, the lines they're given are pretty rotten. The shooting is passable, but dull, with lots of flat back and forth shots during long dialogues. So much of it is redundant, when it could have been improved by trimming it down to a fifteen-minute quickie.

In the last segment, there's a mingling of modern day and 18th century events, linked by demonic activity. Felissa Rose makes a brief appearance in this one, but instead of it being a relief to see someone with more than one acting credit, it ended up just being depressing to see her pulling a buck from being in this. They shelled out the money to rent or borrow a nun's habit, which might be the most visible piece of effort in the whole film, as the few demon costumes that appear look like Spirit Halloween throw-aways. While the focus is intended to be on a preacher's struggle to save his daughter, it drifts off into a worldwide demonic pandemic which it doesn't have a tenth of the budget to depict (but it does find room to jam in a scene with a geisha to depict modern Japan?). Not that it would have been better earlier in the sequence, but it makes for a real endurance test knowing that this is the last story to get through. And there's some sloppy ADR as icing on the burnt cake.

In short, this is a terrible horror anthology, without any linking themes or potent subtext to elevate the stories above their limited budget or inexperienced acting. The two-hour run-time just rubs salt in the wound. Most of all, it made me feel bad for Christopher Showerman, villain of the wrap-around story, to go from George of the Jungle 2 to this level of crap. There's worse horror anthologies out there, but you've got to really go digging to find them.

“I mean, sure, you killed me, but I had the Devil in me, right, honey?”

Rating: 3/10 :spooky:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 2/6
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 2/5 (2010s)
:spooky:BITE-SIZED HORROR:spooky: CLEARED

#3.) Demon Wind (1990; Shudder; dir. Charles Philip Moore)

A young man with friends in tow returns to his family's rural home, awakening malevolent spirits.

A fun little Evil Dead-ish demon siege movie, though for my tastes, too much time is spent on trying to make the mystical lore seem important, and too many characters are crammed into the main one's entourage. I was deseeding grapes while watching most of this (which is why this review is so short), but the movie kept my attention and kept me in a good mood. Respectable special effects for how low the budget looked, generally decent acting, and few lines of dialogue that were bad enough to make me roll my eyes. Genuinely surprised that this director doesn't have more horror films to his name, this gave me some strong Kevin Tenney vibes.

“Come on, chicken poo poo, I'll shove that karate stuff up your rear end!”

Rating: 6/10 :spooky:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 3/6
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 3/5 (1990s)
:spooky:THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE:spooky: CLEARED

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 30, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Dagon owns.

I enjoyed it, but there are some things I would change. The big one would be to stick with Paul as the only POV character. Once we follow Barbara to the hotel and see what happens, it kind of sucks any tension out of what happened to her when we return to Paul, and then the movie basically repeats the scene when Paul goes to the hotel. I think it would have been more tense if Paul goes to the boat, comes back to the town and Barbara is just gone with the flimsy explanation.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

3. The Wolf House

quote:

ASMR MAD GOD 71m Good for sleep study relaxation

:spooky::spooky::spooky: :spooky: / 5,

1. Rec 2. Attack the Block 3. The Wolf House

]
Challenges: Picnic in Space (Period Piece - 1964)
Meta Challenges: new-to-you, Around the World (South America, 2)

Meta Progress: NTY: 3/6, HL: 2/5 ATW: 2/4, HIFE: 0/3

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 30, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mac posted:

In for 20! Already excited, got some goodies lined up this month anyways.
I didn't know about this thread until just now, but this afternoon I rented a couple of things that I wonder if qualify:
Begotten (1989) is perhaps a fringe case - never seen it, but I expect "Horror" is the closest category (besides "Bizarre", the section it was in at the rental place)
and also Testament (1983), which I've never seen either and am excited for - I'm fixated on this sort of nuclear cautionary tale

I don't know much about Testament so just go with your best judgement. I wouldn't worry about it.

Begotten definitely counts.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'm in for as many as I can fit in this month!

I haven't been watching a lot of horror this year. I've been catching up on a lot of other blind spots instead. So this spooky season is my ticket back into my favorite genre! I've been looking forward to this challenge for months now! It's been a long summer.

I'm probably going to fill in some blind spots from the two lists in the OP and work from my personal watchlist randomly. I have a handful of 4ks that I need to watch through, as well.

It's gonna be a good time!

I want to say a huge Thank You to Basebf555 for running this thread. You've done a great job! And also a thank you to GMM and STAC Goat and Shrecknet for how much they contribute to the horror challenges and horror threads in general! And thank you for all the kind words for those who gave me a shout-out in their post. :cheers:

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 30, 2023

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
I’ve lurked the horror thread for longer than I care to admit so I’m finally throwing my hat in the ring and joining in on the challenge this year. I’ve been in a horror movie mood (more so than normal) and figure it’s a good time to check a bunch of movies off my list! I have a soft goal of 20 movies but I’d like to get as many under my belt as I can. And for bingo purposes I picked card 1. Now off to pick some scary movies to watch :ghost:

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I don't get hard, I stay hard, and that's why I'm in for 31 baybeeeeee!

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
It’s finally the most wonderful time of year. I’m in for 31 new viewings and I grabbed lucky 13 for a bingo card. https://mfbc.us/m/rsgk447/13

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Trying to understand the challenges here; if I'm reading it right, the core 13 can be rewatches, but if they're new to me they count towards the 6 for the meta challenge?
And you can only have one core challenge per movie, but can tack on as many meta ones as you can?

E:sick

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 30, 2023

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Opopanax posted:

Trying to understand the challenges here; if I'm reading it right, the core 13 can be rewatches, but if they're new to me they count towards the 6 for the meta challenge?
And you can only have one core challenge per movie, but can tack on as many meta ones as you can?

All of this is correct.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

All of this is correct.

Can I bank my challenges for double points next year?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Just to get it out of the way : Yeah, I watch Red Letter Media too. I'm aware. I've watched it and enjoy it. Some of my points are over-lapping with theirs but such is the way when you discuss the same thing.

What, was I supposed to scrap my plan and rewatch Pumpkinhead?

A significantly less cool poster.
No I can not explain why it doesn't work.

First, just to get it out of the way, Bag Jason = Best Jason. Those are just the rules, sorry.

Sadly the rest of Part 2 isn't amazing. It has some really good bits, but the blatant padding is something that I just can't stand. When you have a solid 15 minutes before your hour and thirty minute movie starts, you are clearly trying to stretch things. Don't give me this extra-wide margins size-13 font poo poo.

Also surprisingly low body count. Mark's death getting pushed down the stairs is good, but the other kills are either lame (e.g. Vickie) or stolen (Jeff and Sandra).

Also Pamela and Jason Voorhees both really like the whole I'm-Leaving-The-Room-But-Not-Really-Scare thing. Is that genetic? I think we need top scientists on this question.

Anyway, the questions :

Where Seems to still be Western New Jersey. It's next to Camp Crystal Lake, and space tends to work like that. Also the cars have New Jersey plates.

Who did Jason murder? Alice (Ice Pick) Jeff and Sandra (Harpoon), Mark and Scott (Machete), Terry (machete?), Vickie (kitchen knife), Crazy Ralph (chain-garrote), Deputy Winslow (hammer). And Paul is :shrug: from idk. 9 total

Are there ever any kids? No. Not yet. They were doing a counselor training.

I had totally forgotten that Part II takes place 5 years later than Part I. So no, we have absolutely no evidence that it was Friday the 13th ever as of yet.

2/31

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 9, 2023

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#4.) Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959; DVD; dir. Bernard L. Kowalski)

A backwoods community finds itself with a giant leech problem.

Some Southern potboiler drama with the unfaithful wife of one of the main characters steals focus from the creature feature side of the story, but with this feature clocking in at just over an hour, it's over and done with soon enough. My copy was fairly murky, which didn't play well with the monochrome, but the scenes of the swamps and deep woods still gave a sense of sweltering humidity. The bad print quality probably benefited the giant leeches, to be honest, as even in this condition, the props looked a little ridiculous. They looked more like detached octopus tentacles than leeches.

The acting was fine, and the casting was solid, with some real craggy old men in the town's populace. It's an AIP production, and falls in line with their usual level of budgetary investment, but also with the amount of entertainment they manage to squeeze out of that budget. I have to admit, seeing them stomping through actual woods with obviously real blazing torches made me a little nervous, more so than any of the monster attacks. And those monster attacks make up about five percent of the movie, at most, so I'll take my chills where I can get them. It's not a bad movie, just one without any real scares to be had. Big ups to the set workers for the 'leech lair', though, the film could have used way more of that.

“I said 'go soak your fat head.'”

Rating: 5/10 :spooky:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 4/6
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 4/5 (1950s)
:spooky:WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK!:spooky: CLEARED

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

2. Wishmaster

Challenge: Horror Poll Challenge, History Lesson (90s), New To You

The vibes this movie gives off in buckets is "particularly gory Power Rangers episode", in the best way possible. Tonnes of horror mainstay appearances (seeing Robert Englund, Kane Hodder and Tony Todd in the credits is like my Avengers) who get to come and ham it up for a bit. The script gets really tortured to try and work in those ironic wishes, the main actress would be in over her head if this was a Power Rangers episode based on her acting, and the CGI stuff looks like it was made in powerpoint which really does a disservice to the great practical effects, but it's a pretty fun movie. Just really sets the bar too high for itself with that opening five minutes.

3 out of 5!

Watched so far: Saw X, Wishmaster.

Wishmaster isn't good but that intro is loving incredible.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
1. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Directed by Dominique Othenin-Girard

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU :spooky:

Die! Die! Die. Die, Michael. Die! Die. Die.

Everything about this just feels off somehow but it's not like there's anything specific to point to and say "look at this one awful thing that was done poorly resulting in this weird mess of a movie". The cameras are generally pointed in the right direction. The actors appear to be reciting their actual lines. Dr. Loomis is frenetic and creepy. Some of the right ingredients are there. It's all just so confounding.

👻👻/5

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

1. The Pit and the Pendulum

A man shows up to a spooky castle to investigate the mysterious death of his sister and finds much more than he bargained for.

This is one of Roger Corman's Poe films and is pretty good. Corman made the most out of every set he had while making these and it's fun to see the same sets and props keep showing up in these movies. The castle set and various matte paintings are great, especially during the finale.

It goes without saying but Vincent Price is excellent. His role in this is one that plays to all of his strengths, showing his ability to play both morose and gleefully maniacal. He carries the movie and fortunately he has a lot of screentime.

It's a little slow in the middle, but the third act more than makes up for it with a strong finale. Not the best of the Poe Cycle that I've seen, but still pretty good.

:spooky:Bonus Challenge: Picnic At Hanging Rock:spooky:

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound
As usual I'm just gonna watch one or movie a night, and it is mostly gonna be the random DVDs I ordered this month. Gonna be a great marathon like every year.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are there ever any kids? No. Not yet. They were doing a counselor training.

I might be misremembering but I think part 6 is the only one with actual kids at the camp. Seems to be a more common thing in non-F13 summer camp slashers. Sleepaway Camp, The Burning, Madman, etc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Also mark me down for bingo card 12, assuming it’s still free

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I might be misremembering but I think part 6 is the only one with actual kids at the camp. Seems to be a more common thing in non-F13 summer camp slashers. Sleepaway Camp, The Burning, Madman, etc.

It’s a bit. :-(

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m gonna figure out challenges later—it’s after midnight (spooky!) so I can’t be hosed.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

Easily the worst NOES so far, although I liked the part where Freddy became a very rude motorcycle.

They always tell you about the gay one but they never tell you about the pro-life (?) one. I’m not sure the extent to which it’s intentional, but Alice keeping the baby leads directly to like four deaths. This might be controversial but multiple teenagers vs. one undifferentiated clump of cells is a pretty obvious question for me to answer, but then again, I’m not dreaming of them being an actual little guy wandering around and calling me “mommy”, so easy for me to say.

There are definitely aspects of this movie that are cool or fun, and I actually sort of liked the characters? They’re stock, but I dig that there is like a babe whose babeliness is a bit of an albatross around her neck who hangs out with two jocks and a Weird Kid. Motorcycle kill was best but comic book kill was all right, too. The occasional gothic vibes are appealing, but I think “son of a thousand madmen” or whatever is a much more badass phrase in the abstract than it feels when you’re watching a bunch of stereotypical cartoon lunatics mill around.

I think 1 and 3 are my favorites so far, but I have a feeling my corny rear end will love New Nightmare. Don’t know if I’ll get there this ‘ween season but we shall see!!!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#5.) Followed (2018; DVD; dir. Antoine Le)

A dipshit vlogger (DropTheMike) who specializes in true crime and creepy locations heads to the Hotel Lennox, a building with a history of murders and suicides, to do a Halloween episode in order to earn a sponsorship. Things get out of hand.

The lead actor does a fantastic job of playing an unlikable prick, channeling any number of infamous Youtube fame chasers you'd care to name, while also showing emotional change over the course of the film. The attempt to present all the footage as though it's being viewed as a series of videos on a Mac is more than a slight mess. It loses track of what type of window is being used, fumbles computer functionality, uses an awkward faux Youtube, and so on. On the other hand, the range of devices presented as being the video capture sources are varied and make sense within the story. Not quite enough to bring balance to the overall tech presentation, but it's something, and it makes the mix of found footage and mockumentary approaches blend just that much smoother.

Setting those fault picks aside, I was pleasantly surprised by this. Zoomed out, it follows the basic 'found footage dopes go to a haunted place' story arc, but between the personalities of the characters (some of whom get more development than others, admittedly) and odd occurrences, it rises above the standard for that style. It's not Blair Witch Project level, but it does dodge or put a twist on most of the found footage clichés that annoy me the most. They do make use of head jitter and twisty limbs, but not as the main source of jolts, while some slower-building creeps are allowed to cook in their own time. I could see this growing on me with another watch or two, but as of now, I'd rate it just a little lower than Grave Encounters.

“Can you turn that off?”

Rating: 7/10 :spooky:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 5/6
:spooky:THE SAMHAIN CHALLENGE:spooky: CLEARED

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

4) Haunted Mansion - 2023 - Theater

I saw this as a double feature with Talk to Me so it was a 'how to deal with grief' theme this outing.

To start, I really liked the Eddie Murphy Haunted Mansion, and I'm very nitpicky when it comes to Disney's live action films. Only liked Watcher in the Woods and the afore mentioned Haunted Mansion. I can now add this one to that tiny list. I've always loved the Haunted Mansion ride, even though I have yet to actually go on it. I've watched plenty of documentaries on the ride and read plenty of books on it, authorized and unauthorized. With this movie, the story hews delightfully close to the stories within the ride.

The effects were really nice and the actors really did a fine job. I was pleasantly surprised to see Wynonna Rider in this. I loved how they included both parks respective mansions in the film. Overall, this was a nice family friendly film that does address grief and healing from it. Why Disney decided to drop this in summer rather than around October where it would be a perfect fit among the rest of the horror entries as a non-R option is beyond me. Hopefully it'll drag along enough to get a second wind with October on the horizon.

If not, there's always second wind post-theater release.

Basebf555 posted:

GENERAL/META BONUS CHALLENGES(18 TOTAL)
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:

Watch a movie from 5 different decades

quote:

:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky:

Watch one movie for each of the following 3 categories:

- A film by a black director, or a film that deals with themes related to POC.

Justin Simien

5) Talk to Me - 2023 - Theater

First I heard about this one was seeing the poster while on walkthrough at work. It wasn't really compelling, just a hand reaching out of darkness. It wasn't until I saw the trailer that I had some interest. Decided to give it a watch since it's A24, so good/bad, I'm guaranteed weird. I'd already heard from customers that it was really scary, but on the flipside as I was heading to the auditorium, I had coworkers telling me it kinda sucked.

Whelp. I don't know if it's because of the sheer volume of horror movies I've seen over the decades, but it was pretty predictable to me. Other than a couple scenes which skirt the line of R, this could've easily been PG-13. Plot is the basic 'idiots go messing around with the paranormal and it bites them in the rear end'.

From the moment they call out the time on Mia's possession, I knew here was when things go south for the kids and I pretty much called it from there on out. I wish I could predict Lotto numbers as well as I knew where this film was going. Despite all this, I did for the most part enjoy the film. It's the horror movie equivalent of comfort food. The actors really came across as genuine and believable which was absolutely refreshing. Yes, people made stupid choices, but they were the plausible stupid choices teens would make instead of stupid for the sake of plot stupid. I really liked Sophie Wilde in that she pulled off being so unlikable. Mia brought about her own troubles and the others held her to her poor choices. They did leave it open as to are the dead being actively malicious or just assholes. It can go either way or both.

There is a kangaroo death that wasn't as bad as I was dreading, and the dog lives, though does go through a major weird scene. The effects were nicely done and there is discussion about a prequel which I'm definitely curious on.

Being I get free movie tickets, I could've gone either way with seeing it at the theater or wait for streaming.

edited to add: misnumbered entries.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 30, 2023

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

This is my favorite thread. I'm in for 31 again and excited to read about what everyone watches.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:HORROR ADJACENT:spooky:
Watch a thriller OR a horror/comedy OR a horror/musical OR a horror/action movie OR a horror/scifi movie.

1.) Wild Zero
Tetsuro Takeuchi| 1999 | DVD

(Horror/comedy)

Figured I might start off the challenge with a movie I’ve been meaning to see for a while now and I’m glad I did. This movie’s a total blast. It’s just so over the top, but it’s also very heartwarming at times. It has some great music and some cool kills. I wish there was a Blu-ray/UHD release but you take what you get.
Overall, remember:

”Love has no boundaries, nationalities, or genders! DO IT!!!”

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: ½

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 1/6
1.) Wild Zero (1999)

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 1/5
1.) Wild Zero (1999) - 1990s

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 1/4
1.) Wild Zero (1999) - Asia (Japan)
Total: 1/31
New: 1
Rewatches: 0
Individual Bonus Challenges: 1/13
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 3/18 or 0/4
My Letterboxd list (in progress)

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm gonna watch 31 movies and beat all the challenges.

I've only seen the first Nightmare on Elm Street movie, so I'm going to try and make my way through those, but I don't want to overcommit and deny myself watching other, better movies.

Anyway, #1:
Alien (1979)

It's Alien, man. This time I watched it with the 1999 Ridley Scott commentary. It was fine, occasionally interesting, but not the best commentary track I've ever heard. I think it'd benefit from Ridley having someone to talk to (and there is in fact another track he made a couple years later which is exactly that). It's interesting to hear him talk about the psychology of the cast, how they sort of come together and drift apart as the movie goes on, how the mood changes. To be honest, I was mostly just getting sucked in by the movie itself, and found the commentary only occasionally interesting. Doesn't hold a candle to that one that John Carpenter and Kurt Russell did for The Thing.

Turns out the Wet Chain Room is housing for one of the giant landing feet.

Anyway, the flick is 5/5 :spooky:, the (first) director's commentary is more of a 3/5.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok. I'm in.

I will be doing what I did the last few years and trying to both do Letterboxd's annual Hooptober challenge and my own Bracketology HalloweeNIT challenge. And of course the challenges in here. I'm not completely insane so I'll count challenge crossovers when able. 31 new films is kind of the standard but its kind of a moot one because if I do the rest it just happens. I also have a general goal to complete Letterboxd collections/franchises and enjoy marathoning them especially with Mama Goat who hasn't seen them. And I'll watch other stuff. Fill other year long Letterboxd challenges I'm doing. I'm nuts. I work from home. I care for Mama Goat and she loves watching the movies with me. There will be many.

My list is already too long and I haven't even figured out the SA challenges yet. More will be added as we go. God help me.

🎃💀Halloween 2023: HooptoberX and HalloweeNIT💀🎃

I'll probably wait until tomorrow since its 3:30 in the morning and I can at least feel like its October when I get some decorations started and midnight passes.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

1. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)

Watched On: Amazon Prime Video
:spooky: Freddy VS. Jason 20th Anniversary Challenge :spooky:

Honestly I was having a ton of trouble picking out my first movie, but as soon as I saw this poster on Amazon I was taken right back to sitting cross legged in the living room in the early 00s watching AMC. Allegedly this movie was made a bit against the two lead’s wishes since they thought the script sucked and it seems Bud and Lou themselves had a rocky relationship, which is a bit of bummer. Bela Lugosi and Glenn Strange were said to have a good time though! The plot of this movie is great, Dracula and Frankenstein are being shipped to Florida, Larry Talbot tries to call and warn Bud and Lou about this but whoopsie it’s a full moon and he turns into the Wolf Man before he can get the warning out! Horror and comedy ensue. I thought this was going to be a corny time compared to my memories but I’ll hand it to Bud and Lou, they’re still pretty drat funny 75 years on. Dracula’s plot is kind of weird, he wants to improve The Monster by putting Lou Costello’s brain in it for… reasons? Ah screw it, it’s still a good time and none of that matters. There’s also a great cameo at the end that I won’t spoil for those that haven’t seen it.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Sep 30, 2023

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

Anyone want to join me in HARDCORE MODE where you can only complete one (1) or part of one (1/*) challenge per movie?

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

1) In Search of Darkness: Part III (2022)
Trailer
Seen on: Shudder
:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky:
Watch 6 movies that you have never seen before - 1st new watch of the challenge.

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:
Watch a movie from 5 different decades - the 2020s

In the 2020 and 2021 challenges, I watched the first two installments of this and found them agreeable, if a little bloated and with some weird choices in which movies to highlight. I thought this 5-hour-ish conclusion was a pretty solid capper though, with what I felt like was a nice selection of films both big and obscure, including several I've watched and enjoyed over the last few challenges (including Amityville 2, Madman, Bloody Birthday, The Last Horror Film, Possession, etc.). It also actually tipped me off to some new films that I probably wouldn't have considered for the challenge, which is a nice bonus. The talking heads they got are a mix of people from the previous versions as well as some new ones, and I thought they all had some interesting things to say. The film features are broken up by the usual sidebars on general topics, include things like how the VHS home revolution supercharged the horror genre and the Satanic Panic. There are also some nice profile/interviews with actors and behind the scenes people, including Adrienne Barbeau, Dee Wallace Stone, Caroline Munro and Screaming Mad George. Again, as I said with the first two installments, if you're a genre fan there's likely very little new here for you to absorb, but it's still a fun enough watch.

(these multi-part meta challenges are going to involve me building up the eventual X over the square line by line.)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

2. Beast of the Yellow Night (1971)

Watched On: Tubi
:spooky: The Exorcist 50th Anniversary Challenge :spooky:
:spooky: New to You (1) :spooky:

Well I’ve certainly never seen this before. I also didn’t expect it to straight up have Satan in it, a take on Satan that is pretty dope honestly, the actor they got was really good. A soldier near the end of WW2 makes a deal with Satan to stay alive but do his evil bidding by possessing others and corrupting those around them. This movie really feels like John Saxon should have been in it somewhere, would have certainly improved things. Movie takes a bit of a weird turn when our… protagonist? Starts turning into a drat werewolf and ripping people up outside a gothic church like a Hammer Film. Thought the shot of the church was pretty cool looking

This ended up being kind of a combo of Frankenstein/The Wolf Man with a little Satan splashed in. It has it’s moments when the monster or Satan is on screen but things kind of drag towards the middle, the movie could have used maybe a smidge more action.

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

2) 666 : Beware the End Is at Hand (Nigeria, 2007)

A cautionary tale about the dangers of rejecting the word of God, produced by Kenneth Okonkwo (Pastor). Obviously low budget and shot on one camera, but the editing was pretty clever at times, especially during dialog scenes which gave the illusion of several cameras. The acting was generally pretty decent, the special effects cheap, but used sparingly and quite effectively.

As for the story, Satan and his demons are luring people off the streets and dragging them to hell. They use various techniques, standout being luring sinners into gay sex. The actor playing Satan was pretty cool, channeling a mix of Yaphet Kotto and Brian Blessed kind of vibe. There is some violence, but not very much, a stabbing and a car crash.

Every 10 minutes or so, the pacing grinds to a halt when we get 5 minute sermons about the end times and the dangers of sinful living, but they do add a certain je ne sais quoi to the whole experience. The movie ends with a pretty cool special effects laden hadouken battle between a pastor and a 8 year old demon boy. Holy Ghost, FIRE!

It got at least 3 sequels and definitely worth watching if you haven't seen any Nollywood horror movies.

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 2/4