Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'll opt out of the movie code drawing, but would take a Jason Gang-Tag (or that Art gang-tag if it gets tossed in the system).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Yeah I’d definitely like that sweet Sadako tag if it’s a thing (Red keeps winning) but otherwise would like the classic variety. Jason is a very bad boy!!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'll take a Jason tag, please.

Much appreciated.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm still working on my wrap-up, but I'd love to upgrade to Jason and opt out of digital codes.

I love the sentiment, but I'd rather they went to someone who could use them!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I am also going to opt out of codes.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?
I still need to toss together my wrap-up, but would also like to go for the Jason tag.

Russian Guyovitch fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 2, 2023

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
I am perfectly happy with Jason tag if Sadako tag is not available on such short notice.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
This was already mentioned I think, but just a reminder that we also do a scaled down "halfway to Halloween" version of this challenge in May every year. Look for that in CineD, it usually goes up in the last few days of April. It's always a good time and I set the threshold for prizes to just 13 movies instead of 31 so it won't eat up all your free time for the month.

Orchestrated Mess
Dec 12, 2009

Fuck art. Let's dance.

I'll opt out of movie codes as I think someone may appreciate them more, but if I can stack a Jason tag on top of the current one I'd very much like that.

gey muckle mowser posted:

This was already mentioned I think, but just a reminder that we also do a scaled down "halfway to Halloween" version of this challenge in May every year. Look for that in CineD, it usually goes up in the last few days of April. It's always a good time and I set the threshold for prizes to just 13 movies instead of 31 so it won't eat up all your free time for the month.

This will be the year I don't forget about this.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I don’t read CD but I have the horror thread bookmarked so I always know when An Event is happening; def recommend

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
I'd like to get my boy Michael Myers as a gang tag, but happy to wait for next year or whenever and go with the old one for now. drat, I guess this means I finally need to get myself an avatar too

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

I don’t read CD but I have the horror thread bookmarked so I always know when An Event is happening; def recommend

I occasionally poke around CD but yeah the horror thread is the only one I have bookmarked and read on a regular basis. For a long time it was one of the best threads on the forums IMO, it's changed a bit over the years as posters come and go but it's still a chill place to shoot the poo poo about horror stuff

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Horror thread and the Physical Media thread are two of my favorite threads on the forum :3: Always good talks!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I was honestly always super intimidated by the Horror Thread because of how big it was and how fast it moved so I made sure to jump into the stream once it got reset a little bit ago. Thread refreshes work!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

No need for a tag or codes, getting to watch a whole lot of movies I had never seen before is reward enough :gibs:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gey muckle mowser posted:

I also run a weekly horror movie tournament/movie club which the new season will start up in January and I’ll put up a thread to set it up by December. And I’ll try and make it accessible and legible this time.

Scones are Good
Mar 29, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:GANG TAG BUSINESS:spooky:

The following names are posters who have specifically said they want the Jason gangtag. If you have the old tag already, I've been told that the Jason tag will not erase the old tag(or any other tags that you may have).

gey muckle mouser
Xiahou Dun
Crescent Wrench
Name Change
Zechariah
Splint Chesthair
Erin Fiasco
Gyro Zeppeli
Class3KillStorm
Gripweed
Kazzah

The names on this list below are posters who have completed the challenge and therefore have earned a tag, but haven't specifically requested the regular tag or the Jason tag. Please review this list and if you think you've earned a tag but your name doesn't appear, let me know. Please also let me know if your name does appear on this list but you DO NOT want a gang tag. I think so far the only person who's specifically said they don't want one is Phithy, so if anyone else isn't interested in the tag please give me a heads up. For those that wanted the Sadako tag, I don't know yet if that's going to be included as a possibility so let's assume for now that it's not.

Count Thrashula
Baron von Evel
Justin Goodsock
Sono
Alris
Nikumatic
Jeremiah Flintwick
david-A(already has Horror Hogs)
Rodbeard
Flash Fearless
Action Shakspeare
The Saddest Rhino
Fleetwood
Weird Sandwich
Chinook
Shrecknet

If you already have a Spookadoodle gang tag from previous years and you haven't specifically requested the Jason tag, I haven't included your name on these lists because I assume you're good with what you've got. So if you want the Jason tag speak up.

I'm supposed to be on here I think, I'm pretty sure I did the challenge right and would like the normal gangtag if that's alright

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You know that when you go to your bookmarks and the horror thread has like 67 replies some poo poo has gone down lol

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Forty-four movies, passing my thirty-one target, while completing all the challenges. Thanks to Basebf555 for running things. I really enjoyed chasing down the thirty-six challenges last year, but it was also good to follow it up with a year where I had more room to run down my list of been-meaning-to-get-to movies. And thanks to everyone for all the great movies that I watched because of their reviews. This thread was the only place I heard about my favorite movie of the month. You all make October a very fun time of year.

Best First-Time Watches
#1 When Evil Lurks (2023)
#2 The Nightingale (2018)

Individual Challenges
CineD Horror Thread Poll Challenge: Near Dark (1987)
Freddy vs. Jason 20th Anniversary Challenge: Friday the 13th (1980)
Picnic at Hanging Rock… in Space!: The Nightingale (2018)
Birth of Horror: The Crazies (1973)
Rob Zombie 20th Anniversary Challenge: 31 (2016)
“That Guy” Challenge Featuring Dick Miller and Keith David: The Puppet Masters (1994)
The Exorcist 50th Anniversary Challenge: The Exorcist (1973)
Horror Adjacent: Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022)
When Animals of Unusual Size Attack!: Meg 2: The Trench (2023)
Back of the Video Store Challenge: Intersect (2020)
Childhood Trauma: Signs (2002)
Bite-Sized Horror: Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
The Samhain Challenge: Terrifier (2016)

General/Meta Challenges
New-to-You: Forty new movies, everything but Signs, The Exorcist, Prometheus, and Alien: Covenant
History Lesson: Six decades
* 1970s (3): The Ωmega Man (1971), The Crazies (1973), The Exorcist (1973)
* 1980s (6): Friday the 13th (1980), Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983), Lifeforce (1985), Troll (1986), Near Dark (1987), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989)
* 1990s (4): Troll 2 (1990), Nightbreed (1990), The Puppet Masters (1994), Lord of Illusions (1995)
* 2000s (2): Signs (2002), [REC] (2007)
* 2010s (12): Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010), Prometheus (2012), Creep (2014), Hidden (2015), Train to Busan (2016), 31 (2016), Terrifier (2016), Alien: Covenant (2017), Mom and Dad (2017), The Nightingale (2018), Calibre (2018), Villains (2019)
* 2020s (17): Intersect (2020), The Block Island Sound (2020), Last and First Men (2020), Saloum (2021), Gaia (2021), The Outwaters (2022), Something in the Dirt (2022), Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022), Day Shift (2022), No One Will Save You (2023), Meg 2: The Trench (2023), Totally Killer (2023), Cobweb (2023), Infinity Pool (2023), They Cloned Tyrone (2023), The Pope’s Exorcist (2023), When Evil Lurks (2023)
Around the World: Five non-North American continents
* Africa (2): Gaia (South Africa), Saloum (Senegal)
* Asia (1): Train to Busan (South Korea)
* Australia (1): The Nightingale (Australia)
* Europe (4): [REC] (Spain), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (UK/France), Last and First Men (Iceland), Calibre (UK)
* South America (1): When Evil Lurks (Argentina)
Horror is for Everyone
* A film by an LGBTQ+ director, or a film that deals with LGBTQ+ themes: Nightbreed (1990)
* A film by a black director, or a film that deals with themes related to POC: They Cloned Tyrone (2023)
* A film directed by a woman, or a film with feminist themes: The Nightingale (2018)

Full List
#1: No One Will Save You (2023) 4/5
#2: The Outwaters (2022) 2/5
#3: Troll (1986) 2/5
#4 Train to Busan (2016) 3/5
#5: [REC] (2007) 4/5
#6: The Puppet Masters (1994) 3/5
#7: Something in the Dirt (2022) 5/5
#8: Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022) 4/5
#9: Signs (2002) 3/5
#10: The Crazies (1973) 5/5
#11: Meg 2: The Trench (2023) 1/5
#12: The Exorcist (1973) 5/5
#13: Intersect (2020) 1/5
#14: Troll 2 (1990) 3/5
#15: Near Dark (1987) 4/5
#16: Totally Killer (2023) 3/5
#17: The Ωmega Man (1971) 3/5
#18: Terrifier (2016) 3/5
#19: Prometheus (2012) 5/5
#20: Alien: Covenant (2017) 4/5
#21: Lord of Illusions (1995) 3/5
#22: Hidden (2015) 4/5
#23: Gaia (2021) 3/5
#24: The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989) 4/5
#25: Villains (2019) 3/5
#26: Cobweb (2023) 2/5
#27: Infinity Pool (2023) 3/5
#28: Lifeforce (1985) 3/5
#29: The Nightingale (2018) 5/5
#30: Mom and Dad (2017) 2/5
#31: They Cloned Tyrone (2023) 4/5
#32: 31 (2016) 2/5
#33: Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010) 4/5
#34: The Pope’s Exorcist (2023) 4/5
#35: Nightbreed (1990) 4/5
#36: Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) 3/5
#37: Friday the 13th (1980) 2/5
#38: Creep (2014) 4/5
#39: The Block Island Sound (2020) 3/5
#40: Last and First Men (2020) 3/5
#41: Saloum (2021) 4/5
#42: When Evil Lurks (2023) 5/5
#43: Day Shift (2022) 1/5
#44: Calibre (2018) 4/5

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not going to do a wrap up post because I don't have the mental energy to organize like that, but I will say that without question the best first watch was Next Of Kin. Absolutely blew me away and I'm still thinking about it a month later. Unreal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Scones are Good posted:

I'm supposed to be on here I think, I'm pretty sure I did the challenge right and would like the normal gangtag if that's alright

I had you on my written list, not sure why you didn't make it to the posted list. Anyway it's corrected, thanks

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like the Jason tag but I'd rather show off my Retro one so I can feel superior. If someone makes an alternating one that blinks between them I'd take that though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
:spooky:PRIZE DRAWING BUSINESS ALERT:spooky:

The list of movies available to the winners is as follows:

The Addams Family(1991)
Poltergeist(1982)
Event Horizon
Friday the 13th Part 4 aka The Final Chapter(regular 1080p, not 4k)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Lost Boys
Pearl(courtesy of Shrecknet)
X(also courtesy of Shrecknet)

We also have three additional codes that are possibly expired, so if one of the winners wants to test them out we'll give them a shot.

I Know What You Did Last Summer
Angel Heart
Scream

All Codes are 4k except for the Friday the 13th code, but don't worry if you don't do 4k, you don't have to actually watch them in 4k.

The list of posters who have qualified for the drawing(and haven't opted out) are as follows:

Action Shakespeare
Philthy
Weird Sandwich
Flash Fearless
rodbeard
david-A
Jeremiah Flintwick
Nikumatic
Justin Godsock
Count Thrashula
Erin Fiasco
M_Sinistrari
Ambitious Spider
Biff Rockgroin
Gyro Zeppeli
Machete Zombie
Sir Kodiak
Deadite
Greekonomics
The Berzerker
Lamanda
Hausu Usher
STAC Goat
Pretzel Rod Stewart
Twernt
Class3Killstorm
Darthmed
Russian Guyovich
Mover
Maxwell Lord
Leatherhead
Scones Are Good
Bio Tech
Xenomorph
Vanilla Bison
The Bizzness
Name Change
alf-pogs
Jedit

I won't begin the drawings for another 24 hours, so if your name is on the list but you want to opt-out, you still have time to let me know. And of course if your name doesn't appear on the list and you think it should, also let me know. I'll be surprised if I didn't miss at least one or two people.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 3, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Feel free to pull me from the drawing. If I’m too lazy to write a wrap up I don’t deserve a prize. I’m kind of pulling for that scenario where one poster wins everything by default.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Feel free to pull me from the drawing. If I’m too lazy to write a wrap up I don’t deserve a prize. I’m kind of pulling for that scenario where one poster wins everything by default.

I mean you watched like 70 movies or something so I think you deserve it. Your call though.

Honestly the more people seem to not care about the codes the better it is for me because if I end up doing this again next year there may not be any prizes at all. It's good that people seem to be happy to just participate for the sake of the spooky season fun.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

The real prize is bonding over the dumb poo poo we all watched together, like Baby Oopsie.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Happy to keep my current gang tag and not upgrade to the Jason one (if the other ones wind up on the table I'd be interested maybe). I also don't need any codes for anything so you can take me off that list. Had a good time participating as always :)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I'll opt out of the drawing.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I'll opt out of the drawing as well. It's the motivation provided by the effort that goes into the thread and the challenges that I'm here for.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The real prize is the monsters we meet along the way

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Real talk I hope some of my posts were helpful to some people in directing them to movies they might like. That is really the only goal besides thumbs-upping or thumbs-downing.

I also watched an insane (for me) number of movies in October, last year I think I crapped out at like 35.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, seeing people watch movies after I recommend them give me the good warm feelings. Like how many people watched Razorback after I picked it at random for the giant animal challenge (because that movie loving rules, watch Razorback).

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I can't claim that the reason so many people watched Petey Wheatstraw was because of my review but I did enjoy reading the reviews from all the people who watched it after me and had a nice time :3:

I definitely watched Blood Hook and Captain Clegg because of the reviews in this thread and had a great time with both!

Lamanda
Apr 18, 2003

I'll opt out of the drawing as well.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I have to opt out of the drawing since I already own a copy of everything on the list in one way or another.

edit to add:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, seeing people watch movies after I recommend them give me the good warm feelings. Like how many people watched Razorback after I picked it at random for the giant animal challenge (because that movie loving rules, watch Razorback).

That others were also using the image links from my reviews for poster images made me smile. That others found using the image I found after looking around really made it feel worth it to find some unique image.

M_Sinistrari fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 3, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I have to opt out of the drawing since I already own a copy of everything on the list in one way or another.

edit to add:

That others were also using the image links from my reviews for poster images made me smile. That others found using the image I found after looking around really made it feel worth it to find some unique image.

O poo poo. You consistently get the perfect image and I wind up zagging to something I like less just so I’m not “stealing” from you.

Not gonna do that any more. Good to know.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Yeah part of the fun of this challenge has been that it's also a great way to find recommendations on cool stuff I probably wouldn't have heard of otherwise. I think about half of what I watch every year is stuff I heard about through previous challenges.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

I'll take the Jason. Also,

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

The real prize is bonding over the dumb poo poo we all watched together, like Baby Oopsie.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yeah, a bunch of my watches this year were just stuff other people posted that sounded cool, like When Evil Lurks and One Cut of the Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Phantasm Watchers Represent

also is there an image gallery with all those rad watercolour paintings a goon was doing? they were unreal