Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have a much more flexible schedule this year so I'll do the full 31 and plan to hit the challenges

I'll take card 30

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Trying to understand the challenges here; if I'm reading it right, the core 13 can be rewatches, but if they're new to me they count towards the 6 for the meta challenge?
And you can only have one core challenge per movie, but can tack on as many meta ones as you can?

E:sick

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 30, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

1: Nightmare Before Christmas

We're doing our decorations tonight so I threw this on in the background. I'm sure I don't need to say anything else about it, you've all seen it, it's influenced most of our aesthetic for the last 30 years. Not counting it towards any of the smaller challenges as that feels like cheating.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

2: Hell Fest
:spooky: Samhain/New to Me (1/6)

I've been aware of this one for a long time and just assumed it was going to suck, but we were tired and when i searched for 90 Minute Horror on Netflix this was the only one we hadn't seen that seemed at all interesting.
I have to say I was pleasantly surprised; it's not great or anything, I'm likely never going to watch it again, but it's pretty decent and has some really good set pieces, plus Tony Todd cameos. It's a sold 3/5 kind of movie, much better than I was expecting.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

3:Meg 2 :spooky: Animals of Unusual Size/New to Me (2/6)/History (2020s)

I appreciate this for what it was. It's a big dumb movie that never pretends to be otherwise. It's filled with explosions and one liners and mustache twirling villains. I have no idea how Ben Wheatley got attached to this and it doesn't feel like his work at all, but I hope he got a huge paycheque for it.
It's fine, but very much a McDonald's movie; I watched it an hour ago and I can barely remember anything about the plot or anyone's names

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

4: History of the Occult :spooky:Exorcist 50th Anniversary/New to Me (3/6)/Around the World(South America):spooky:

Interesting movie. It's not perfect, it drags in pieces, but the good bits are really good and there are some very cool ideas here. That ending slaps

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cocaine Bear :spooky:Picnic at Hanging Rock/New to Me(4/6)/Horror is for Everyone (dir:Elizabeth Banks):spooky:

Lol this movie rules

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

7: M3gan :spooky:New to Me (6/6):spooky:

And that's why you don't make a superstrong learning robot with no morality

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

8: The Great Satan :spooky:Back of the Video Store/History (2010s):spooky:

I was trying to figure out the best way to replicate finding something weird at the video store, and I figured the best way to approach this was to hit up Tubi and just find a poster that looked cool for something I'd never heard of; this definitely fit the bill

I've never heard of Everything is Terrible but they apparently recut footage into new narratives. This is a bunch of clips from christian/satanic panic videos recut to tell the story of Satan. It's not exactly coherent but it does has a sort of narrative track to it, as weird as it is. It's not good, and it's not something I'd recommend as a regular watch, but it would be a pretty good thing to throw on in the background during a Halloween party, definitely seems made for that kind of thing more than anything else.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

For everyone doubting Halloween 3, Cochran's monologue is one of the best in any horror movie ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aZaeF7odg

It's good but it's no carp story

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

9: Knock at the Cabin

I read the book last year and loved it, so I've been looking forward to this. Predictably, the book was better. I'm not anti-story changes but I really didn't care for the direction they took this and definitely preferred the more ambiguous book ending.
The direction also felt weird, it swung around like a 60s B movie a lot early on, but I feel like I was maybe being unfair and nit-picky because it's Shamylan.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

10: Fear X :spooky: Birthplace of Horror/ History (2000s):spooky:

I've seen most of the good stuff from the year I was born, so I checked out where I was born, Winnipeg, and came across this one. Terrible title, but John Turturro is the lead so I figured it would be decent. Didn't realize until I started that it was a Nicolas Winding Refn movie, too. As it turns out, it bankrupted him and shut down his old studio.
It's not bad, but pretty slow and unsatisfying. Turturro plays Harry, a mall security guard who's wife is killed in a seemingly random shooting that also kills a Dea agent. He's spent all his time since obsessing over security footage and trying to find out what happened, and starts to believe there's a conspiracy.
It's well acted; Turturro does a great job of course, and James Remar shows up in the back half as a very conflicted part of the conspiracy. The conspiracy itself is pretty disappointing, The whole plot is laid out by three guys in a room discussing it, and it ultimately was somewhat random/wrong place wrong time.. You can definitely see Refn's fingerprints on this, but its pretty clear that it's an early effort from him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

11: Enemy

Jake Gyllenhaal plays a teacher who goes on a downward spiral after he spots an extra in a movie who looks just like him. This one hit pretty close to home as I look exactly like Jake Gyllenhaal

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

12: The 'Burbs :spooky: That Guy (Dick Miller cameo)/History (1980s):spooky:

I must have been 5 or 6 when I saw this movie, so I have the absolute vaguest memories of it, and wanted to check it out again. It's great! This is right up there with the other classic 80s horror comedies. It's funny, the cast is great, and it's an 80s movie without a bunch of casual racism/sexism/homophobia; it's just an all around good time. The moral gets a little muddy but it doesn't really take itself seriously enough for that to matter.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

13: Bones :spooky: Horror Noire:spooky:

Oh poo poo, The motherfucking Pretender is in this! Pretty dull and dated for the first two thirds, but the last bit goes pretty hard. Interesting mix of effects, with some really bad CGI coupled with some really great practical stuff. Snoop seemed like he had fun and I'm happy for him.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mover posted:

It’s interesting to see such glowing reviews for Prince of Darkness this year. Personally, I think it had some of Carpenter’s most interesting ideas ever, and some great single images, but the overall execution kinda sucked

I love it, but the big problem is that outside of the Carpenter regulars, the core cast are all dull and boring. If blonde mustache guy were played by Bruce Campbell or Kurt Russell or something it would be a solid classic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Finally had a real day off

14: Freddy vs Jason :spooky: er...Freddy vs Jason:spooky:

What a quaint little early 2000s time capsule, for better or worse. It is what it is, for better or worse.

15: The Thing

This was on TV while I was making supper so why not. :perfect:
There are a handful of movies I'd call perfect, and this is one of them.

16: Saw

I don't think I've seen the OG since it was in the theatre...19 years ago? That can't be right!
I certainly like it better than the others, it's much more tightly focused and enjoyable. As big as it is I cant help but imagine it would be a huge cult hit if it had been a single movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

17: Incantation :spooky: Around the World (Asia 2/4):spooky:

Hot drat! I had this in my list for last year's challenge, but I watched Noroi and Medium and didn't want to retread the same ground too much. I don't regret that as there are a lot of similarities, but this one is pretty terrific. I appreciate how it hits the ground running and doesn't really let up, as opposed to slow burns of the others.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hell yeah, Time Crimes owns. That peekaboo scare is top tier

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mover posted:

Not vibing with Ravenous is fine but you are NOT allowed to criticize the soundtrack

:banjo:

18: Deep Rising :spooky:History (90s, 5/5) :spooky:

I had this queued up for Dead and Buried so of course we aren't doing that challenge this year.
I have wanted to see this movie since it came out, a d I know it's well regarded around here, but somehow I didn't know it was a Stephen Sommers movie until I was about halfway in, but looking back yeah it's real obvious. It's really everything you could want in an R Rated Stephen Sommers movie, great fun.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

19: Galaxy of Horrors :spooky: Bite Size :spooky:

If you've ever wondered what Black Mirror would be like if it were shittier and Canadian? Well, have I got a movie for you. 8 scifi/Horror shorts with a very loose wraparound story. A couple of them are ok but it was pretty bad overall

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shrecknet posted:

is that the one where the wraparound is Jeff Gertsmann in a pizza warming bag trying to guess the password?

That's a pretty apt description yeah

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

20: Cult

I am so totally into these Asian Found Footage Psychic Horror Movies. This was probably the weakest of what I've seen so far, but I admire it for getting right to the spooky stuff and not doing a bunch of Paranormal Activity bits instead

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

alf_pogs posted:

the same director did Noroi: The Curse and Occult, both of which are (i think) heaps better. (he also has a huge amazing shared found-footage universe, that Cult is a part of, but this thread doesn't need to be derailed by Koji Shiraishi chat)

I watched Noroi last year and it was great, I actually picked Cult tonight because I know it's the weakest one, planning on seeing Occult next week or so

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

21: Trollhunter :spooky:CineD/ World (Europe 3/4) :spooky:

Rewatch of a great little underrated classic. Nobody had seen it so I threw it on (lazy rear end family made me do the dubbed version though and it's not a great dub at all).
It's a lot of fun and certainly unique, and I always appreciate a monster movie with multiple creature designs

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 20, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Crescent Wrench posted:

20. The Reflecting Skin (1990) (first viewing)
(watched on Peacock)

A truly odd film. This one is perhaps horror adjacent, sort of a dramatic American gothic parable. It certainly has its horrors, but is a film steeped in symbolism that is prioritized over any kind of punchy narrative. The film follows our protagonist, Seth, a boy of "nearly nine" growing up in post-WW2 rural Idaho. There's a lot going on here. Seth is, frankly, kind of a budding sociopath. The film opens with a scene of Seth and his friends torturing and killing a frog in a very gory fashion, and he doesn't show much more compassion for life after that, either. His home life is a mess, of course, with a distant father, an abusive mother, and an irradiated older brother coming back form the war with loss of repressed trauma. After seeing his father reading pulp horror novels, he becomes convinced their widow neighbor is a vampire. Then his friends start being kidnapped and murdered. Oh, and he starts confiding in a dead fetus he finds in a barn. I'm sure I spent a lot of this films with a baffled expression and furrowed brow, especially before I cottoned on to what kind of film it really was. But it's compelling. It's gorgeous, especially the fields of wheat that the director literally painted yellow--I've lived in Idaho, and this ain't Idaho. Many of the images will stick with me. The tone is relentlessly dour, and the characters are all so damaged that it can make it hard to like them. Seth is really our protagonist, and I generally thought the child actor did a good job carrying the film, aside from some dodgy acting when he's talking to himself and not interacting with others. I absolutely asked myself "What the hell did I just watch?" But I also suspect I'll be thinking about it a lot.

Goddamn, I've had that opening scene stuck in my head for years and could never remember what it was from, thanks for that

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

22: Paranorman
What a wonderful movie. Just great, made with plenty of love, and full of great messaging. We all could have used this one growing up. Probably too intense for really little kids but great for that 9-12 range

23: Nightmare on Elm Street

I watched this for the first time either last year or the year before and thought it was good, but didn't really wow me. I don't know if I was in a different mood or what but I enjoyed it a lot more this time. Nancy and her mom really stood out in particular and sell things.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

24: The Blair Witch Project :spooky: Childhood Trauma :spooky:

I was a big weiner kid who was scared of a lot of stuff, even horror trailers would give me nightmares. I was extremely into Ghostbusters but that was about as much as I could handle. I got into horror in my later teens, but I saw this in theatres and it would pretty much have to be the first horror movie I saw in theatres, and I would have been 13.

It shows its age but its still pretty great, and most of the aged stuff is because there's been 25 years of movies in the genre that this essentially invented (or at least popularized). The acting in particular is strong, all the characters just seem so raw and real.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

25: 30 Days of Night

I've wanted to watch this for years but it never seems to be streaming anywhere. Saw it in tv last month and recorded it for now, and I'm glad I did it's pretty great. Killer concept and great vampires. I will gladly take an animalistic, monstrous vamp over a suave seductive one any day. Giving them their own language was a cool choice, too, really sells the otherness.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

26: You Won't be Alone :spooky: World (Australia 4/4) :spooky:

Hard to really call this horror, though it is about witches and is quite bloody. More of a coming of age story, very slow and poetic.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

27: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark

Rewatch for me but my wife hadn't seen it and wanted to. It's better than it should be but not as good as it could be. It feels like it never really settles on a tone; it's geared towards kids but at the same time it's actually pretty scary at parts (my kid was 8 or 9 when we saw it in theatres and we had to take a couple lobby breaks because he wasn't handling it).

28: Nocebo

At least, I think it was. Very odd, Nocebo comes up as a shudder exclusive, but this was on Amazon as The Curse with a different poster, but far as I can it's exactly the same and not a different cut or anything. This was very good, you have some strong leads and some cool moments. The twist was super obvious within the first few minutes, like overtly so to the point where I assumed there would be a second twist , but it's good enough that it didn't really matter.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

29: The Pond

This has been on my radar for a couple years now after I caught the trailer. The synopsis doesn't really do it justice as it's basically one man in a rural European dream scape living through a nightmare, so everything is a little bit weird and nothing really makes sense. There's a definite lack of budget here that both works against it in keeping it small, but also works for it by getting into some simple but very creepy design work (see above), and some gorgeous shots.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

30: The Munsters :spooky: Rob Zombie 20th :spooky:

It's hard to rate this objectivly as it's an absolute passion project top to bottom. It's very clear that Rob really wanted to make this and got a bunch of his buddies together to do it. Is it good? Not really, no. Is it bad? Not really that either. It's a singular experience .
To sum it up:
"I liked it, but it was kind of childish" -my 11 year old

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

31: The Haunted Mansion :spooky: LGBTQ :spooky:

Hey, that was actually way better than I expected. It was pretty hollow and I doubt I'll remember much of it in a week, but it was entertaining. I haven't seen the other HM movie but I've been on the ride a few dozen times and it was fun looking for Easter eggs. I don't know why people waste their money on Jared Leto at the best of times but he's a noticeable waste here as the bad guy who spends the entire movie as a CGI character with a modulated voice, the only time you actually see him is in a picture, they could have hired absolutely anyone.

And with that I'm done my target and all the challenges

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

32: Repo! The Genetic Opera

I watched this move a lot when it came out but haven't seen it pretty much since then (which was apparently 2008, which seems like a Berenstain thing because I absolutely remember watching it earlier, and it sure looks older).
Still rules, Anthony Head is fantastic in particular. It's certainly not for everyone, but if you're a weirdo theatre kid who also likes horror there isn't much out there quite like it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

33: The Doom that Came to Gotham

Lovecraft Batman. It's a pretty faithful version of the comic from what I could remember, but loses big points for doing the DC house animation style instead of making it look Mignola

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

34: Evil Dead Rise

I always like to finish strong and hot drat did this ever hit the spot. I can definitely get the complaints, but I dig making the Deadites scary. Interesting to see a movie that doesn't shy away from Killing kids, and I was a big fan of how they set it up to seem like a Demons 2 type seige thing but then She just slaughters everyone else in 2 seconds.
The only complaint I have is changing the Necronomicon's name.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I win a horror code you can donate it to a child in need

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wrap up

1: Nightmare Before Xmas
2: Hell Fest :spooky:Samhain/New to Me (1/6):spooky:
3: Meg 2 :spooky: Animals of Unusual Size/New to Me (2/6)/History (2020s)(1/5)
4: History of the Occult :spooky:Exorcist 50th Anniversary/New to Me (3/6)/Around the World(South America)(1/4):spooky:
5: Cocaine Bear :spooky:Picnic at Hanging Rock/New to Me(4/6)/Horror is for Everyone (dir:Elizabeth Banks):spooky:
6: No-one Will Save You :spooky: Horror Adjacent/New to Me(5/6):spooky:
7: M3gan :spooky:New to Me (6/6):spooky:
8: The Great Satan :spooky:Back of the Video Store/History (2010s)(2/5):spooky:
9: Knock at the Cabin
10: Fear X :spooky: Birthplace of Horror/ History (2000s)(3/5):spooky:
11: Enemy
12: The 'Burbs :spooky: That Guy/History (1980s)(4/5):spooky:
13: Bones :spooky: Horror Noire:spooky:
14: Freddy vs Jason :spooky:Freddy vs Jason:spooky:
15: The Thing 
16: Saw
17: Incantation :spooky: Around the World (Asia 2/4):spooky:
18: Deep Rising :spooky:History (90s, 5/5) :spooky:
19: Galaxy of Horrors :spooky: Bite Size :spooky:
20: Cult
21: Trollhunter :spooky: World (Europe 3/4) :spooky:
22: Paranorman
23: Nightmare on Elm Street
24: The Blair Witch Project :spooky: Childhood Trauma :spooky:
25: 30 Days of Night
26: You Won't be Alone :spooky: World (Australia 4/4) :spooky:
27: Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
28: Nocebo
29: The Pond
30: The Munsters :spooky: Rob Zombie 20th :spooky:
31: The Haunted Mansion :spooky: LGBTQ :spooky:
32: Repo! The Genetic Opera
33: The Doom that Came to Gotham 
34: Evil Dead Rise

34 total, 23 new

Solid year, a couple that were kind of mediocre but nothing really terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I like the Jason tag but I'd rather show off my Retro one so I can feel superior. If someone makes an alternating one that blinks between them I'd take that though