Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
I’ve lurked the horror thread for longer than I care to admit so I’m finally throwing my hat in the ring and joining in on the challenge this year. I’ve been in a horror movie mood (more so than normal) and figure it’s a good time to check a bunch of movies off my list! I have a soft goal of 20 movies but I’d like to get as many under my belt as I can. And for bingo purposes I picked card 1. Now off to pick some scary movies to watch :ghost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
1. Barbarian (2022) - Birth of Horror, New-to-You (1/6), History Lesson (1/5)

Went in expecting a home invasion/slasher film based on the title and cover art, and while I wouldn’t necessarily categorize it that way after watching it I also wouldn’t say it isn’t either of those.

Lots of good tension, especially in the first half, although much of that comes from the main character, Tess, being forced into an undesirable situation with a strange man as opposed to anything horror related. The 180 degree tonal shift at the halfway point had me wondering if Hulu had somehow started playing a different movie but it eventually got back to a full-fledged horror movie soon enough.

Overall it was decent, some good prosthetics/creature design for the Mother and some genuinely tense moments but it never reached the level of scary that I like in my horror movies. Definitely worth the watch and I’m always happy to discover movies that take place in/around Detroit.

:ghost::ghost::ghost:.5/5

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
2. Ernest Scared Stupid - Childhood Trauma, History Lesson (2/5 - 1990s)

Decided to watch this with my daughter since I remember absolutely loving this movie when I was a kid and it’s been a good 25 years since I’ve watched it… it does not hold up sadly. Jim Varney is still hilarious, and Eartha Kitt chews scenery like there’s no tomorrow, but the extreme bad acting from pretty much anyone except the two of them had me rolling my eyes pretty hard. I still had a good time watching with my daughter, although she’s not quite 5 so maybe she was still a little too young for it. Still, nostalgia counts for a lot so I’m still giving it :ghost::ghost:/5

3. Saw - New-to-You (2/6), History Lesson (3/5 - 2000s)

Figured this would be the best time to actually watch the first Saw film and I can honestly say I have no desire to see any of the rest. While I like James Wan and Leigh Whannell, this movie just fell flat for me. I felt like I was watching an escape room movie during the parts with Cary Elwes and Whannell in the room, and despite not seeing it before I already knew the identity of Jigsaw which I felt undermined my experience. Overall glad I saw it but I don’t get the hype :shrug:

:ghost::ghost:/5

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
M3GAN - Free Space, New-to-You (3/6)

I have no clue what to say about this movie. I liked it? I think? After seeing a lot of people claim it was much better than the trailers made it look I was cautiously optimistic but I guess this kind of horror movie doesn't really work for me. Not that it was bad, I'm just more of a spooky ghost/paranormal activity movie type of gal. I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but I didn't think it was nearly as good as most other people apparently. I did watch the unrated version through Prime so I think there were some extra kills? Or maybe just a little more blood/gore for the existing kills. Either way some of it was pretty gross, especially the scene with the neighbor.

:ghost::ghost:.5/5

ElScorcho
May 8, 2008

Horse.
5. Alice Sweet Alice - New-to-You (4/6), History Lesson (1970s - 4/5)

drat this movie was good. Watched it on Xumo and the quality was poo poo so halfway through I switched to Crackle and it was much better, but I'm gonna have to do a rewatch at some point to catch everything I missed. The scariest parts of this movie were the pervert landlord and the lie detector technician creeping on 12-year-old Alice, but that mask is a runner up.
:ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

6. The Dead Don't Die - Rob Zombie 20th Anniversary Challenge, New-to-You (5/6)

This was an absolute turd of a movie. As a horror movie it failed at delivering any scares - even the kill scenes were pretty watered down. With the exception of the first attack, I think every other kill happened off screen. As a comedy it failed at being funny. Oh look, Tilda Swinton is weird because she's Scottish! And then suddenly she's an alien? Just super lazy writing, an extremely bloated cast that is totally wasted. Characters are extremely one-note (I'm looking at you Chloe Sevigny) and there's so many subplots going on that at least one of them just gets totally forgotten about - three teenagers escape their high school/juvenile detention facility and just????? They see a zombie get eliminated and then run offscreen and are never seen again. If this is typical of Jim Jarmusch then I am not going to waste my time watching any of his other stuff.

:ghost:/5 - and only because I think I did laugh once, at Adam Driver's deadpan "Yuck" upon seeing the first two zombie victims.