Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m gonna be kind to myself (or rude to myself depending) and just sign up for lucky 13. hoping to start throwing down tonight—feel free to toss around any dark fantasy or sword-and-sorcery recs to make the transition from spending all my time on Baller’s GOAT 3 a little easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I’m gonna figure out challenges later—it’s after midnight (spooky!) so I can’t be hosed.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

Easily the worst NOES so far, although I liked the part where Freddy became a very rude motorcycle.

They always tell you about the gay one but they never tell you about the pro-life (?) one. I’m not sure the extent to which it’s intentional, but Alice keeping the baby leads directly to like four deaths. This might be controversial but multiple teenagers vs. one undifferentiated clump of cells is a pretty obvious question for me to answer, but then again, I’m not dreaming of them being an actual little guy wandering around and calling me “mommy”, so easy for me to say.

There are definitely aspects of this movie that are cool or fun, and I actually sort of liked the characters? They’re stock, but I dig that there is like a babe whose babeliness is a bit of an albatross around her neck who hangs out with two jocks and a Weird Kid. Motorcycle kill was best but comic book kill was all right, too. The occasional gothic vibes are appealing, but I think “son of a thousand madmen” or whatever is a much more badass phrase in the abstract than it feels when you’re watching a bunch of stereotypical cartoon lunatics mill around.

I think 1 and 3 are my favorites so far, but I have a feeling my corny rear end will love New Nightmare. Don’t know if I’ll get there this ‘ween season but we shall see!!!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

2. The People Under the Stairs (1991)

Sic semper landlords!! (Surely there’s a Latin freak in this thread who can properly translate and pluralize that?)

This ruled. I am very under-watched and when a lady at a training told me I had to watch this I was like “oh, a Wes Craven I haven’t seen that’s socially conscious? I’m on board”. Then tonight when I started it, it opened with shots of the Rider-Waite deck—I’m immediately on board.

Fool is so cute and cool 🥺 Evil Big Ed and Evil Nadine got owned ftw

*~*~*~*~*~*~
IF YOU'RE READING THIS THE BXTCH FELL OF

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

3. The Houses October Built (2014)

I liked this more than I thought I would, but I’m also a little fuzzy right now due to the novel coronavirus COVID-19 so don’t take that as an unreserved recommendation.

I’m a fan of verisimilitude in found footage, but I do have to draw the line to some extent when we’re mostly looking at darkness and the camera’s shaking the whole time. There’s some of that, but for the climax (which is…fine?) things stabilize.

Also really appreciated seeing a handful of what appear to be real haunts throughout Texas. Some of them even looked fun, and I generally prefer dread to haunted house jump scares!

The last half hour or so happens on Halloween, so that’s the Samhain Challenge out of the way—I didn’t want to rewatch something I’d seen before, or see something too obvious, so there ya go.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

4. Them! (1954)

You’re gonna think I’m bragging but I swear I’m not: these ants are actually really small to me.

It’s funny to watch a SF movie from the 1950s, an era where it was possible to be a hot woman named “Pat”, which I’m not sure I’ve ever done before; prior to seeing this one namedropped in this thread I think the closest I’d come was the various trailers at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater in Disney World.

I like how much of this is lowkey detective work, until such time as we’ve recruited the experts and got the troops in on it.

It’s not scary obviously—giant monster movies are not slashers or whatever, they’re fun silly spectacles—but there’s a ton to like here if your brain hasn’t been ruined by the intervening 70 years.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

5. Hell House, LLC (2015)

Hey, this is actually pretty good!!

I may not care for the majority of the characters, sure, but there were a lot of things I like here: comparatively subtle scares with weird things on the edge of the frame, a recontextualization of stuff we saw earlier, a New York setting (filmed in Pennsylvania though).

The lore is stupid but you can’t win ‘em all. I’d rec it!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

6. V/H/S/85 (2023)

This dropped on Shudder today. It’s deece! On par with the last few; it seems they’ve settled into a rhythm.

I’ve been teetering on the border of saying “I’m a Radio Silence” fan since I saw Ready or Not, so it’s nice to see they’re producing the Shudder Vee Aitch Esses.

I will say it feels like a bit of a cheat around the found-footage concept to use having one’s dreams appearing on video to expand the cinematic language you’re allowed to use during Bobby’s rampage, but whatevs—we’re all having fun here (I should hope!)

Recommended if you liked 99 and 94.

Also I’ll do a wrap-up eventually but this marks six new-to-mes over five decades. Doubled up on, weirdly, the 2010s, a Decade of poo poo.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 6, 2023

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

7. Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

I’m probably 12. It’s probably Saturday. I’m in the den on the couch, which has been folded out into a bed much bigger and more expansive than my own. I’m luxuriating, rolling around in it, and—because I’ve been reading a lot of stupid fanfiction.net MST ripoffs and as such gotten into the real deal—I turn on the Sci-Fi Channel, hoping to catch a MST3K rerun. (I was a Mike kid.)

Instead what I find is (again, probably) a minute and a half of Killer Klowns. Despite not being a horror movie kid—I preferred books, especially real ghost stories—I’m fascinated and delighted by the title and by the scene I catch, which is the puppet show kill in the gazebo. I’m too scared, though, so I change the channel…for a decade and a half.

This is my pick for the Childhood Trauma challenge. Now I loving love this stupid movie; the Terenzi brothers should fight Dracula and Nazi zombies and Sadako next. And the Dickies should do the theme again!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

8. His House (2020)

My first non-North American film of the season is set in…England. Oh well!

I’m sure most of you watched this one in the intervening years but in case you haven’t, it’s very well done—I put it off fearing heavy-handedness but that wasn’t fair of me and I don’t think I needed to. It doesn’t reek of liberal performativity; I think it’s genuinely empathetic and thoughtfully built.

In case you don’t know what the gently caress I’m talking about, the story concerns two refugees from South Sudan settling in a small British town. They lost a child during a horrifying incident in a boat on the way over, the exact sort of thing we hear about happening regularly in the Mediterranean which US Republicans and their Tory counterparts crow over.

This is the debut feature of Remi Weekes, a Black Briton who also wrote it, and I think it’s really strong both in the horror aspects and in its ~elevated~ aspects. Both the leads were fantastic too (I’ve liked Wunmi Mosaku since she was a highlight of the ultimately eh Lovecraft Country on HBO). I’d like to see more from all these cats!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Sono posted:

Is it a rap song that relays the plot of the movie? Please say it's a rap song that relays the plot of the movie.

Unfortunately it’s not a rap but it’s like… I guess kind of a pastiche of hardcore? It’s funny, it made me smile. And yeah it relays the plots of all the shorts

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

9. Final Destination (2000)

Everyone else watched this in the spring of 2000, but I was busy preparing for my tenth birthday by working on the encyclopedic knowledge of Pokémon I maintain to this day. And I didn’t even like scary movies yet, though it was probably obvious I’d end up there.

Anyway, I picked this one for Birth of Horror because it’s set in Mt. Abraham, a fake town on Long Island, where I’ve lived for three decades of my life.

They mention explicitly that it’s in Nassau County, and there’s a(n admittedly perfunctory) visit to Jones Beach, which is on the south shore.

However, Nassau is too urban for most of the forest area where Clear lives. There’s still a lot of woods up around the north shore, but her family doesn’t seem to be that rich.

The town should be on the north shore anyway; what kind of south shore or central Nassau town has enough money to send kids to Paris for 10 days as a senior trip???

But I digress. I wish the Evil Rube Goldberg machines were cooler, maybe they are in the rest of the franchise? This probably would’ve made a better X-Files ep like the original pitch than a movie.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

10. Ready or Not (2019)

Even though I famously have the best taste in the family my mom and sister are always reluctant to let me pick the movies. C’monnnn. I kill it every time! I pick the best TV shows too!

Anyway rewatched this and got them to check it out with me. Another all-too-common victory for your boy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

11. Historia de lo oculto (2020)

Argentinian occult conspiracy thriller with a comparatively subtle political angle (per some of the Spanish-language discussion I’ve read).

It’s good! Never terrifying, but ominous in a kind of relaxed, hang-out-y way for most of the runtime until it all clicks together in the last few minutes once the brujería card is finally on the table.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

12. Friday the 13th: Part III

Whoa, what do you mean the original release was in 3D?! I couldn’t tell!

It’s so funny how many stupid 3D gags are in this movie. Playing yo-yo for no reason, holding a piece of poo poo-looking eyeball directly in front of the camera, hot poker coming dead on atcha. It made me laugh a lot.

Ultimately I don’t think it’s a great movie—I hadn’t realized it’s the one where Jason gets the mask, though!—but I liked the characters all right, particularly Chris as the ol’ FG, and some of the kills were deece.

I identify with Shelly (we’re both fat, ugly, loathed, Jewish, don’t toke)

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

gey muckle mowser posted:

I'm a Nic Cage fanboy and was optimistic about this one based on the silly premise, but I thought it was incredibly boring and bad. I gave it 1 star on Letterboxd, putting it in the bottom 20 of the ~1150 films I've rated on there. You're the second person I've seen on these forums post about how they thought it was great though and now I feel like I should give it another chance.

I actually also really dug it, but with the caveat I was doing my Animal Crossing dailies while I watched it. I loved how the stupid animatronics get deadite dialogue lol

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

13. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter

Young Tommy feels way hornier than he should be. He’s doing wolf howls and stuff while he Peeping Toms (his name! interesting). Don’t like it.

It’s cool that he’s a horror hound, though. It doesn’t actually come up in any way, but it’s nice to see slasher characters have interests, even if I’ve absorbed enough Jason Knowledge via osmosis to know this kid isn’t gonna die here.

A couple of the ladies and Crispin Glover slay; at least two really hateable guys in this one and they both eat it.

I liked this one more than

14. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning

I think Pinehurst is a fun setting here, and the twist was a good concept that feels a little wasted, but ultimately this is the worst one I’ve seen yet! Reggie and Pam were good. Deeply stupid ending and not in a fun way—glad they dumped that idea.

15. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

And even gladder they went in this direction! Someone said, “Folks, we have to engage Silly Mode” and turned this whole thing around. Tons of campy (literally! camp again! hooray!) fun, legit lovable final girl, and Jason’s finally officially supernatural! YAY! We did it!

(Does this count for the zombie challenge…?)

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

16. Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

Beautiful Aussie Gothic. I love that it’s about 85% of a Weird Tale—in fact, the solution to what exactly happened to these missing girls was excised from the original novel and ultimately published twenty years later to the reveal that yes, it was crazy Fortean stuff. (Hooray!!)

This is like an actual Classic Film, the kind where you see a Janus logo at the beginning, and it’s genuinely really good. I’ve heard it classified as a “horror romance”; the story, the score, the dream- and nightmare-like quality of the way it’s shot, the ending (!) are all totally horror stuff even if the film itself is probably closer to a Mystery. I’m pretty sure I could show my mom this even though she’s always claiming not to like spec fic.

I could count it for Horror Adjacent but how do you not go with its namesake category? Get real!!! Highly recommended, though I bet most Australians have already seen it.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

17. Mr. Vampire (1985)

Finishing Around the World with a Hong Kong Chinese kung fu/horror/comedy (let’s call it our Horror Adjacent). So 80s, so delightful. Makes you want to become a Daoist monk even though you are 500 years old and decrepit, if only to hilariously lay jiangshi to rest.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

18. Night of the Creeps (1986)

Thrilled me. :) And hey, that’s Dick Miller, playing a cop named Walt Paisley!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

44. The Void (2016)

THE PSYCHO GOREMAN GUYS: Hey, do you wanna see some gross poo poo??
ME: Boy, do I!!!!

you know how when you take a bunch of pictures with a group the person with the camera is like “now let’s do a silly one”? I love that Astron-6 was like “ok now let’s do a serious one”

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

19. Lucky (2020)

I wanted to watch something I could confidently and definitively count for Horror is for Everyone - Ladies and it’s screenwriter/star Brea Grant’s birthday today! Hooray! Natasha Kermani directs (and the lady from Kermani’s V/H/S/85 segment, “TKNOGOD”, makes a brief appearance in this too).

It’s about a woman who is attacked nightly by the same masked man—whether she kills him, whether he’s chased away, whether he gets a few good shots in—and the way other men and authority figures don’t seem to believe her or care that much.

It’s not subtle! I think it’s well-made though, and surely some fellas need to hear it. Grant’s performance is really good and there are some creative moments I dug.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

that Spanish title is so much cooler, lol. Don’t Profane the Dream of the Dead

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

20. Bit (2019)

I’m a little bummed because I guess I expected a bit more than a trifle from “lesbian vampire girl gang with a trans woman lead” but it’s cute! It’s fun enough! Everyone looks great! Muddled politics (my number one criticism for basically any movie is that the politics are “muddled”, this is literally the word that always comes to mind. lmao. I’m very stupid) but likable.

I dug that literally no one was transphobic tbqh; there’s a kid at the party at the beginning who is about to say something well-meaning but weird, and even the evil male vampire is just like “well, times have changed,” which also, they haven’t really, there have been cool beautiful trans women forever, but he’s the evil male vampire and that was basically all he said. Who knows what he meant by that. It could very well be, “Ah, an untapped source of rad women of which I was heretofore unaware!”

Anyway, it feels like this movie is for cool normal teens. So if you have a cool normal teen and they’re open to hearing cussing, sure, check it out!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

21. Ghostline (2015)

I employed the Tubi Method for the Back of the Box Challenge—look how sick this skull is. It’s a movie about a couple getting weird phone calls from beyond the grave, so you get this cool skully with fire in its eyes wrapped up in a combination barbed wire/phone cord!

The movie is classic profoundly amateurish Tubi slop with only one decent actor in it; it both begins and ends with generic blues rock, uses some of the worst fonts imaginable for on screen text, etc.

Definitely not worth watching but if you’re forced to by incessant phone calls from your ex you murdered there are at least a couple laughs. And it does have that cool box art, plus a credit for Zander the Dog as Himself.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

love the jump scare (with scare chords—it was intentional!) that is just him appearing in frame

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lmao I hate AI “art” but that one is very funny

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

22. Sleepaway Camp (1983)

Ughhh we were so close! I loved like 80 minutes of this movie, which is a deeply weird little slasher about a quiet little girl who expresses herself very creatively, but the last couple are…complicated!

I mean you all know the twist. “Twist”. I knew it going in, too, but I wanted to see how it was actually presented. It feels purely for shock value, because it doesn’t seem to contextualize the kills or their motives in any particular way: the last shot is scary not because of Angela’s penis—plenty of girls have them! Don’t care about that!— but because of the bellowing and that grin. I don’t think this filmé was intended to stand the rest of time or whatever but in a modern context it’s just kind of a weird bummer, though of course your mileage may vary, since I know of a roughly equal amount of trans women who love it and trans women who loathe it.

Oh well! All that aside, it’s a lot of fun, with creative kills and weirdo characters. It’s just that last bit that I could take or leave.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

rodbeard posted:

I haven't rewatched sleepaway camp in a bit, but I think it's unintentionally a feminist masterpiece. Outside of the twist ending Angela's transness has no bearing on her violently lashing out against the pressure society places on young girls becoming women.

yeah this is a completely reasonable read that I think is in many ways supported by the text. but so is the alternate one, where it’s intensely transmisogynistic! so I’m torn.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Action Shakespeare posted:

As featured in that weird five entry block of MST3K episodes that all featured hypnosis as a plot device.

1956-58 were really going through it in cinema huh?

Yeah this was post-Korean War and thus around the part of the Cold War where the CIA devised and popularized the idea of brainwashing to explain why so many people would become anti-capitalist.

23. The Lords of Salem (2012)

Oh poo poo, this actually kind of rocks? Drags a little in the last half hour, but this is my second Ron Zobbie after Munsters (which is right up my alley btw 😈) and it pushes a couple of my buttons.

Chief among them in this instance is being set somewhere I’ve been—Heidi walks past the Town Hall and the Bewitched statue and through some of the cobblestone streets—but I also like any amount of technology in my horror movies, so a radio station and an evil vinyl are rad.

Certainly not for everyone but pretty good!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

24. Jennifer’s Body (2009)

My friend Bea was like “how have you not seen this, it’s so you” and she was right!

It came out the year after both of us graduated high school so all the needle drops and fashion are so hilariously perfect—when Jennifer flounces past the camera to reveal she’s wearing a denim miniskirt with with two embroidered butterflies on each of the butt pockets I had to LOL. Like a lot of us I got chased off by the advertising; to this day I have the pop culture tastes of a 19yo femme lesbian despite none of those being applicable at this time so if I’d known how this poo poo actually was (the worse Diablo Codyisms aside) it prob would have changed my trajectory and made me a Horror Guy much earlier. Oh well! We got there eventually.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Just to quickly recap my watches so far:

1. NOES5 (FvJ20, NTY, 80s)
2. People Under the Stairs (NTY, 90s, HFE-2)
3. The Houses October Built (NTY, 10s, Samhain Challenge)
4. Them! (NTY, 50s, Giant Animals)
5. Hell House LLC (CineD Horror Poll, NTY)
6. V/H/S/85 (Anthology, NTY, 2020s) 5 decades hit, 6 new-to-yous hit
7. Killer Klowns (Childhood Trauma)
8. His House (NTY, Europe, HFE-2)
9. Final Destination (NTY, Birth of Horror)
10. Ready or Not
11. Historia de lo oculto (NTY, South America)
12. Friday the 13th: Part III (NTY)
13. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (NTY)
14. Friday the 13th: A New Beginning (NTY)
15. Friday the 13th: Jason Lives (NTY)
16. Picnic at Hanging Rock (Australia, PaHR, NTY)
17. Mr. Vampire (Horror Adjacent, NTY, Asia) 4 continents hit
18. Night of the Creeps (NTY, Dick Miller)
19. Lucky (NTY, HFE-3)
20. Bit (NTY, HFE-1)
21. Ghostline (Box Art, NTY)
22. Sleepaway Camp (NTY, HFE-1 but in kind of a hosed up way)
23. The Lords of Salem (NTY, Ron Zombie Memorial Challénge)
24. Jennifer’s Body (NTY, HFE-1 and -3)
and

25. The Pope’s Exorcist (2023)

A movie about a loose canon (pun intended) priest who doesn’t play by the rules but Godblessit he gets results!

Decently fun big-budget schlock based on a technically Real Guy that retcons several centuries of real-world Catholic history (?!) and hilariously sets up a Holy Men in Black thing at the end.

Most of you guys watched this so I don’t need to say much else.

That should be all my challenges! I’ll keep watching stuff and reading the thread though—I signed up for 13 but got enough Covid early on in the month that I’ll likely make it at least to 31.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The General posted:

19. Crybaby Lane
I think it's a Nickelodeon kids movie. My main take away is that there's no respect for undertakers. To most you're just a weird dude to deals in dead bodies, and even your friends don't care for you once it's time to collect the bills for your services. Strong Are You Afraid of the Dark vibes, and a hilarious surf caper soundtrack.

For people just a little younger than I am this is very funny, because there was a popular creepypasta about how it only aired once (true! until about ten years ago!) and was the most terrifying thing to ever be shown on television (not true!) and once it was finally made available it turns out it’s just like. a fairly standard 90s-PG spooky TV movie

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Just blasting through my last few watches since I know I’ll never have the energy to give ‘em appropriate write-ups:

26. The Wicker Man (1973)

Good stuff! I don’t know that it’s necessarily scary until the end (though it might’ve been 50 years ago) but I love that about it. Great music. Ingrid Pitt…hello.

27. Child’s Play 2 (1990)

Once they can’t play the “who’s the killer?” game anymore, they had to get creative, and they definitely pulled it off here. Love the Kyle-Andy found family stuff and the climactic showdown is awesome.

28. Phantasm (1979)

Like someone filmed his bad dream a couple seconds after waking up. Really dug this!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

david_a posted:

Anyway, this is still the best werewolf movie.

Granted I haven’t seen London in a while but surely

29. Ginger Snaps (2000)

is in the running? Quadruped werewolf here too!

I didn’t expect this to be nearly as bleak as it was, but it’s a really great movie. Very 2000 in a bunch of ways but similarly sort of timeless, because it’s about girlhood and female friendship and sisterhood (literal) and menstruating and not menstruating and transformation. Katharine Isabelle and Emily Perkins are both so good in it; I think subsidizing the making of this film is maybe the only good thing the Kkklanadian government has ever done ever?

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

WeaponX posted:

22. Host

A fun little zoom horror film, made during lockdown. When I was rewatching the VHS series I commented on how there was a webcam shirt that seemed so quaint given how many of these short of “in-screen” horror movies we have gotten. Didn’t get to this one till now and it was solid. The cast is very natural (all playing “themselves” and apparently improvising a lot of the dialogue), it nailed the pandemic vibes, and it uses the gimmick well. Some of the scares are straight out of other found footage but there is some fun stuff here, I loved how the silly face filthy kept appearing on one terrified participant. It’s a little hard to judge since at just about an hour it’s hardly a feature- there is no room for any real plot here. So it’s more like a demo reel but a well done one at that.

3/5

Underrated cool thing about Host is that it really was filmed over Zoom. Therefore, with the exception of the two cast members who were dating (can’t remember which two—Teddy and one of the girls) and quarantined together, everyone had to single-handedly do their own effects. Like each individual had to set up rigs and trigger them at the right time, etc. That for sure elevated the whole thing for me, though it doesn’t come through in the movie itself (and it would probably be a mark against it if it did)

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

30. Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 (2000)

I thought it sucked for literally like 65 minutes and then in the last 25 I was like oh never mind this is cool. They pulled it all together.

Without studio interference this would probably have been much better received, because having read some of what the writers and director intended it’s honestly thoughtful and interesting!

But yeah I would say for real worth watching at least once maybe?

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

there's a fanedit of BW2 Book of Shadows that does a lot to redeem it honestly. i think it's by "agent sam stanley" if you want to revisit it

Hell yeah

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Philthy posted:

I'd love to see this continue as a 365 challenge honestly. There are so so soooo many horror movies and they're the best genre to just binge. Love all the reviews and seeing what's out there. (Maybe too ambitious, but this month seemed like it went by in a week)

this year there was a Half-o-ween event from like mid-April to mid-May, so as long as someone is willing to run it again there’s always that to look forward to!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

31. Psycho (1960)

Suffice it to say my phone-addicted mother didn’t play a single game of solitaire for the whole 110 minutes. (Then she fell asleep a third of the way through Ghostwatch.) Happy Halloween!

*~*~*~*~*~*~

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I don’t read CD but I have the horror thread bookmarked so I always know when An Event is happening; def recommend