Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Count me in for 31!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:HORROR ADJACENT:spooky:
Watch a thriller OR a horror/comedy OR a horror/musical OR a horror/action movie OR a horror/scifi movie.

1.) Wild Zero
Tetsuro Takeuchi| 1999 | DVD

(Horror/comedy)

Figured I might start off the challenge with a movie I’ve been meaning to see for a while now and I’m glad I did. This movie’s a total blast. It’s just so over the top, but it’s also very heartwarming at times. It has some great music and some cool kills. I wish there was a Blu-ray/UHD release but you take what you get.
Overall, remember:

”Love has no boundaries, nationalities, or genders! DO IT!!!”

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: ½

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 1/6
1.) Wild Zero (1999)

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 1/5
1.) Wild Zero (1999) - 1990s

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 1/4
1.) Wild Zero (1999) - Asia (Japan)
Total: 1/31
New: 1
Rewatches: 0
Individual Bonus Challenges: 1/13
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 3/18 or 0/4
My Letterboxd list (in progress)

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:ROB ZOMBIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE:spooky:

Watch a Rob Zombie movie OR watch a zombie movie.

2.) Eat Brains Love
Rodman Flender| 2019 | Blu-ray

So I picked this one up from a Vinegar Syndrome sale a couple of months ago because the premise sounded kinda neat and I was in the mood for more horror comedies. It has some pretty interesting ideas on zombification and some good gore effects. The humor is a little all over with some funny stuff mixed with some stuff just does not land. The leads are pretty solid, though their characters sometimes verve into being annoying assholes. The film unfortunately ends pretty pathetically, possibly to set up a sequel? Overall, it was pretty dece, and I guess I’m in a generous mood.

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: ½

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 2/6
1.) Wild Zero (1999)
2.) Eat Brains Love (2019)

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 2/5
2.) Eat Brains Love (2019) – 2010s
Total: 2/31
New: 2
Individual Bonus Challenges: 2/13
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 5/18 or 0/4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:”THAT GUY” CHALLENGE FEATURING DICK MILLER AND KEITH DAVID :spooky:

Watch a movie in which “that guy” character actor Dick Miller OR Keith David appear. Partially inspired by the documentary That Guy Dick Miller(https://letterboxd.com/film/that-guy-dick-miller/), which of course would count for this challenge as well. Reminder that thrillers DO qualify.

3.) Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight
Ernest Dickerson | 1995 | Blu-ray

This has been a pretty poo poo year for me and I haven’t watched any of my monthly movies, such as the ones from the MotM threads. Hopefully, I can use this thread to catch up. Now that I’ve knocked out one, let me just say that this film rocks.

It’s reminiscent of the Evil Dead, especially 2, but it’s all executed extremely well. There are so many great actors and performances such as those from Jada Pinkett Smith, CCH Pounder, and of course our boy Dick Miller. Billy Zane (of Evil: In the Time of Heroes fame) is fantastic as the evil Collector. There’s a lot of great kills and effects too.

I don’t really have that much familiarity with the Tales from the Crypt franchise. Other than commercials and guest appearances with the Cryptkeeper, I vaguely remember there briefly was a gameshow when I was a kid. I’ve read some of the EC Artists collections (before Comixology went to poo poo) and I’ve seen some of the homages (Creepshow) and the parodies (like the one Alan Moore and Rick Veitch did in Supreme). I don’t know why I wrote all that down, but I do want to say that I liked the bookend stuff with the Cryptkeeper which was pretty funny.

Overall, a great movie I’m glad to have finally seen. Shame about Dead Easy though…

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 3/6
1.) Wild Zero (1999)
3.) Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995)

:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky: 1/3
1.) Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995) (directed by Ernest Dickerson)

Total: 3/31
New: 3
Individual Bonus Challenges: 3/13
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 7/18 or 0/4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

4.) The Hunger
Tony Scott | 1983 | Digital rental

My local theater played this tonight as part of their weekly classic movies, but since I couldn’t make it I watched it at home. I knew nothing about this movie going in and I have to say it must be one of the most beautiful looking films I’ve ever seen. The lighting, the set design, and of course the main characters all look amazing. The opening “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” scene is really striking.

It also is a really interesting take on vampires, both romanticizing and de-romanticizing vampirism. At the risk of sounding like one of those guys, I do wish they’d explained the “rules” a little better. There are some great performances all around from David Bowie who I’m shocked is only in the film fairly briefly, Catherine Deneuve, and Susan Sarandon, the latter two for more than just the obvious reasons. Deneuve is particularly great for playing an immortal character that’s both dangerous and predatory while also being vulnerable and forlorn, especially in her seduction of Sarandon’s character.

My main gripe is with the ending, which to be fair I’m still mulling over. It seems to contradict what happens in the climax, though I can kinda see it making sense.

Overall, a pretty solid film.

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 4/6
1.) Wild Zero (1999)
4.) The Hunger (1983)

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 3/5
3.) The Hunger (1983) – 1980s

:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky: 2/3
2.) The Hunger (1983) (LGBTQ+ themes)

Total: 4/31
New: 4
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 10/18 or 0/4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

He can be in any other number of movies, he will forever be Frank from Return of the Living Dead.

After watching ROTLD (and ROTLD 2) so much, it was weird as hell seeing him as a general in Invaders from Mars.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

5.) The Night of the Ghouls
Ed Wood | 1959 | YouTube

I’m sorry to say I don’t have to much to talk about with this movie. I saw Plan 9 from Outer Space many years ago but I really can’t recall much other than Tor Johnson, Criswell, and Vampira. This film apparently takes place in the continuity with Plan 9… and Wood’s other film, Bride of the Monster. This makes it kinda funny if you go into it blind/relatively blind like me where the police will talk about mad scientists and monsters like it’s part of the job.

I found the movie relatively dull, and the early stuff with out of control teens really doesn’t play much of a part in the story. It’s otherwise pretty straightforward until the end, where it goes pretty crazy. It comes out of left field, but it also fits? Overall, it was pretty ok.

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 5/6
1.) Wild Zero (1999)
4.) The Hunger (1983)
5.) The Night of the Ghouls (1959)

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 4/5
4.) The Night of the Ghouls (1959) – 1950s
Total: 5/31
New: 5
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 12/18 or 0/4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

edit: sorry

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK…..IN SPACE!!!:spooky:

Watch a period piece OR watch a movie that takes place in the future(as of when the movie was made).

6.) The Town that Dreaded Sundown
Charles B. Pierce | 1976 | Prime Video

This was a weird one. You have some pretty creepy proto-Friday the 13th scenes bookended by some straight up wacky Dukes of Hazzard poo poo. Meanwhile, you have a Criswell-esque (to me at least) narrator. It is also based on a series of real life serial murders. None of it should work.

And yet…

I did dig this movie, not in spite of what I mentioned above but because of it. There’s a weird charm to the whole thing. Yeah, they probably should’ve changed more names and the location so they could have more freedom, but I thought it was a unique film.

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 6/6 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
1.) Wild Zero (1999)
4.) The Hunger (1983)
6.) The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976)

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 5/5 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
5.) The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976) – 1970s
Total: 6/31
New: 6
Individual Bonus Challenges: 4/13
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 14/18 or 2/4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

7.) Bodies Bodies Bodies
Halina Reijn | 2022 | Paramount+

This was a pretty neat movie. I don’t know how well the satire hits, but there’s some pretty funny moments. I like how it was lit and it had a nice tense atmosphere throughout. I thought the cast was pretty solid, Lee Pace and Rachel Sennott in particular were pretty entertaining. I remember conflating in my head with They/Them, though I’m pretty sure this film had a much better reception. There are some cringe moments here and there, but overall, I did like this film.

As an aside, I was originally going to write “Hell is other people”, but after “the best defense is a good offense” I figured I better not.

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky: 3/3 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
3.) Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022) (directed by Halina Reijn)

Total: 7/31
New: 7
Individual Bonus Challenges: 4/13
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 15/18 or 3/4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

8.) The People Under the Stairs
Wes Craven | 1991 | Peacock

Hey! My first Wes Craven film! And it loving rocked!

I know it’s not exactly subtle with its themes but that makes this film great and still sadly relevant today. It’s so great to see Big Ed and Nadine back again, because they are perfect as the Robesons.

One thing I really loved is that this film feels like a kid’s movie. I know it isn’t, but there’s so many humorous moments that feel like they were pulled straight from a kid’s movie from the `90s. It feels like a darker turn on Home Alone (or if you’re more inclined, a more humorous take on Dial Code Santa Claus) where Kevin McAllister and the Wet Bandits are combined.

I just like how the film portrays the importance of unity in the face of evil, though that does make some of the early Leroy/Spenser stuff disappointing.

Finally, and I know this Baby’s Introduction to Film 101, but the main character being named both Fool and Poindexter was pretty brilliant.
Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:BITE-SIZED HORROR:spooky:

Watch a horror anthology film OR watch 60+ minutes of horror shorts.

9.) Creepshow 2
Michael Gornick | 1987 | Blu-ray

Man, talk about a huge step down. It’s not bad, but it’s disappointing considering the original. There’s only three stories and they go on way too long. Too be fair, 2/3 of them are good, with “The Raft” being the best and “Old Chief Wood'nhead” being the weakest. There are some cool makeup and effects to be found in “The Raft” and “The Hitch-Hiker.” Also, the animated wraparounds are trash. There’s a shot in the epilogue where Billy does this weird blink/wink to the audience and they reuse it.

Overall, not bad but a huge step down.

Total: 9/31
New: 9
Individual Bonus Challenges: 6/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

10.) Corpse Bride
Tim Burton & Mike Johnson | 2005 | Max

This was a nice little film. I liked the artstyle and the songs were pretty good, though they did feel kinda forced. The film looked absolutely gorgeous on my 4K TV. It also didn’t overstay its welcome, though I do think it should’ve been allowed to cook a little longer. I don’t think it really stands a chance against any of Henry Selick’s best, but I liked it.

Total: 10/31
New: 10
Individual Bonus Challenges: 6/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:CHILDHOOD TRAUMA :spooky:

Rewatch a movie that scared you as a kid but that you haven’t seen in at least 10 years(the longer the better). If you didn’t watch any horror movies as a kid, rewatch one of the first movies that hooked you on the horror genre. This is only challenge that actually requires a rewatch.

11.) Spawn
Mark A.Z. Dippé | 1997 | Digital rental
rewatch

I saw this movie when it first came out and I was 10 with my dad and my then four-year-old brother, knowing nothing about Spawn other than he was a superhero and that he might be homeless? So naturally once the movie began with talk of demons burning down the Gates of Heaven, it was all downhill from there. (Funny enough, I told my brother I was watching this and he’s still pissed I made him watch it.)

Now over 25 years later, it’s time to revisit it and uh, it sucks? First and foremost, the CGI has aged horribly. There are puppets of Violator and the Spawn suit does look cool, but it’s not enough. John Leguizamo is incredibly annoying as Clown. I’ve only read a smattering of the comics, but I don’t think it would’ve made me enjoy it more. Hell, it might have made me hate it (Terry, one of the supporting characters was changed from African-American to Caucasian for the film).

Overall, it was pretty bad, and I’m glad to avenge my younger self. Though to be fair, I am more of a Savage Dragon guy.
Rating: :spooky: :spooky:
Total: 11/31
Rewatches: 1
Individual Bonus Challenges: 7/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Hell yeah, me too! I still get Savage Dragon to this day, it's got about 267 issues so far and many more to go. Erik will never retire.

:hfive: (I'm way behind because I stopped using Comixology)

Random Stranger posted:

I can assure you that the CGI in this movie is just as godawful as it was when it was released.

Yeah, that was a poor choice of words. I think it was my memories as a 10-year-old combined with seeing someone quote Ebert praising the effects.

Random Stranger posted:

It was the terrible flame tunnel affect that cracked me up in the theater.

It reminded me of the "You're Going to Hell" sequence from the South Park movie

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

12.) The Thing
John Carpenter | 1982 | In theater
rewatch

I missed my chance to see a classic spooky movie at my local theater last week, but when I found out they were playing The Thing, there was no chance I was going to miss it. I don’t have a lot to talk about, it’s a drat near perfect film, with some great performances, creepy creature designs, a killer score, and perfectly tense atmosphere. It is one of my favorite films.

Total: 12/31
Rewatches: 2

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

13.) The World’s End
Edgar Wright | 2013 | UHD

I finally got around to finishing the Cornetto Trilogy! I feel like this is the weakest of the three, but it was definitely fun! I thought it had some interesting things to say about nostalgia and I thought the ensemble was pretty entertaining. It was cool to see the Pegg/Frost dynamic get switched up, with Frost getting to play more of a straight man and Pegg getting to be a gently caress-up. The latter was pretty fun after spending the summer watching the Mission: Impossible series. The blanks themselves are interesting in that I don’t think they themselves are scary, but what they represent is, if that makes sense.

The film did lose me with the ending though. It wasn’t bad, it just didn’t really feel like it meshed that well with the rest of the film. Overall, I liked it, but it’s a hell of a film to watch when you’re doing Sober October.

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 2/4
2.) The World’s End (2013) – Europe (United Kingdom)

Total: 13/31
New: 11
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 16/18 or 3/4

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 13, 2023

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:BIRTH OF HORROR:spooky:
Watch a movie that was shot in and/or set in your place of birth OR watch a movie that was made the year you were born

14.) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
Tobe Hooper | 1986 | UHD

This was so over-the-top and fun! I can understand the people who don’t like this because it’s so different from the original, but I feel like this was the best move for a sequel. The Sawyers are still incredibly creepy as hell especially now that Drayton has reinvented himself as a small-business tyrant. There’s some cool kills, especially the one from the beginning. Stretch is a great, pro-active protagonist. Lefty is entertaining as hell and the chainsaw duel owned, even if I did have that spoiled for me by one of the Cinemassacre Monster Madness vids. Very bloody and very funny. It rules.

Also, the Vinegar Syndrome 4K looks amazing.

Total: 14/31
New: 12
Individual Bonus Challenges: 8/13

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 13, 2023

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE:spooky:

Watch a movie from the Nightmare on Elm Street/Friday the 13th series OR watch another “Monster Mash” movie(A Monster Mash is when two or more famous/iconic monsters appear in the same movie).

15.) Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter
Joseph Zito | 1984 | Blu-ray

1. Friday the 13th – watched Friday, September 13, 2019
2. Friday the 13th Part 2 – watched Friday, May 13, 2022
3. Saturday the 14th – watched Saturday, May 14, 2022
3. Friday the 13th Part III – watched Friday, Jan 13, 2023
I have inadvertently started a tradition and now I’m stuck with it lol.

I have to say that Final Chapter is so far my favorite of the series. It’s pretty much all killer, no filler with some of the best kills I’ve seen in the series so far. The horny teens were pretty funny (Crispin Glover dances like an angel) and I think that the Jarvis kids were pretty good protagonists. I wasn’t too fond of the ending, but it’s not that big of a deal knowing that this wasn’t actually the final film in the series. All in all, a really fun slasher.

I look forward to watching Friday the 13th: A New Beginning on September 13, 2024!

Total: 15/31
New: 13
Individual Bonus Challenges: 9/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

16.) Halloween
John Carpenter | 1978 | UHD
rewatch

I really don’t have to say on this one. It’s an absolute classic for a reason and is a blueprint for the many slashers that came in its wake. All the characters are great, the score is perfect, and it’s so dark and creepy. I watched the Shout Factory UHD and it looks gorgeous (even if it did make my piece of poo poo player freeze up). It really is one of the best.

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:THE SAMHAIN CHALLENGE:spooky:
Watch a movie set(or partially set) on Halloween OR watch 60+ minutes of Halloween Specials or Halloween themed T.V. episodes.

17.) Halloween II
Rick Rosenthal | 1981 | UHD

While I don’t think this hits the highs of the original, I found this to be a fun, albeit silly film. There’s a lot of callbacks to the first film and a little too much exposition. However, the film makes up for this with some cool kills and general creepiness. I, like everyone else, already knew the twist going into the film so I don’t really have too many feelings on it. It detracts a little from the first film, but not in any way that matters. I guess I’m just nitpicking. The Shout Factory 4K looks good here too.

Also, Loomis is literally the worst doctor.

18.) Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Tommy Lee Wallace | 1982 | UHD

Wow, this was a blast! A lot of really cool gore effects, and some killer performances from Tom Atkins and Dan O’Herlihy. I knew the whole story before hand having watched a lovely review from a YouTube reviewer (you can probably guess who), but that really didn’t detract at all from the experience. It probably the film that made me the most uncomfortable so far.

Now that being said, while this is a great horror film is it a great Halloween film? I don’t know, having only seen the prior two. I do understand the idea behind it being that it would become an anthology series, but this is Halloween III. We’ve already had two films that established this series is about Michael Myers killing everyone/everything in his path. It’s a little too late to change things up. Maybe if this had been the second film, but that wasn’t an option back then. I don’t know, this is all just stupid rambling from a stupid idiot. I can understand why people were upset back then, even if it has been rightfully redeemed in the years since.

Regardless of anything else, this was a hell of a film, and the scariest I’ve seen in all of October so far.

Total: 18/31
New: 15
Rewatches: 3
Individual Bonus Challenges: 10/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:BACK OF THE VIDEO STORE CHALLENGE:spooky:
Watch a movie that you choose based only on it’s rad looking video/DVD box art, OR watch a movie that has less than 10 reviews on Letterboxd

The Berzerker posted:

For this challenge I basically pulled up the Tubi app on my TV and scrolled until I saw a sick poster for a movie I hadn't seen before
Hey, that’s a great idea!

19.) Video Violence
Gary P. Cohen | 1987 | Tubi

Man, this film just drags. It doesn’t help that I watched it on Tubi where you have to deal with commercial breaks. There are some cool gore effects and I did like the score, even if the main theme was overplayed. The ending was pretty cool, even if it was practically telegraphed from the beginning. I know that this has a lot of positive reviews so this is probably me just being out of step with the world, but I really didn’t gel with this at all.

Rating: :spooky: :spooky: ½
Total: 19/31
New: 16
Rewatches: 3
Individual Bonus Challenges: 11/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

20.) The Little Shop of Horrors
Frank Oz | 1986 | Blu-ray
rewatch

I watched the director’s cut with the original ending, so to get it out of the way I liked the original ending sequence, but I do prefer the theatrical ending. It works better for me. It is a shame though, it is an amazing spectacle of practical effects. I wish there had been some way to combine the two endings so that it all didn’t go to waste. Also, I have never seen the live musical version, but I do know that Seymour goes out bravely yet stupidly which does not happen in the original ending and that’s kind of a bummer.

With all that stupid nitpicking aside, this is an excellent movie, with some amazing songs and performances. And of course Audrey II and everything around it is just amazing. I’ve seen the original 1960 film (and have vague memories of the Fox Kids cartoon) so this is the ideal version of the story. It really rules, and I wish we more stuff like it.
Total: 20/31
Rewatches: 4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

29. Re-Animator (1985)

Had to rewatch since today is the 38th anniversary of its release.

Well this changed my plans for tonight...

21.) Re-Animator
Stuart Gordon | 1985 | Blu-ray
rewatch

Man this is just a really fun and funny movie. Jeffrey Combs is just absolutely perfect as Herbert West. I recently watched the Scaredy Cats reviews of the trilogy and I had been meaning to rewatch some of them, and this was a good opportunity. It's really fun and bloody. I do like how 2/3 of the films in the series end with West apparently dying only to come back for the next film seemingly unharmed.

Just a really enjoyable horror comedy.

Total: 21/31
Rewatches: 5

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

22.) Onyx the Fortuitous and the Talisman of Souls
Andrew Bowser | 2023 | Fathom event

My friends invited me to see this movie sometime over the summer because they’re huge fans of Andrew Bowser’s YouTube videos. Now I’ve never seen them before, so a lot of the in-jokes went over my head, but this was a surprisingly fun little movie. A lot of the jokes don’t land but those that do are pretty funny. It’s definitely a love letter to the horror-comedies of the ‘80s and ‘90s, and I can respect that. Additionally, it’s nice to have Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton in the same movie again. I don’t think it’ll be a classic, but it was fun. It’s probably better if you’re familiar with Onyx character though.

Total: 22/31
New: 17

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE:spooky:
Watch The Exorcist OR watch a movie that involves The Devil, demons, or demonic possession.

23.) The Exorcist
William Friedkin | 1973 | Max

Funny story, back during the “lockdown” of 2020, I decided to start trying to watch all of the CineD Movies of the Month going forward. One of the films that year was The Exorcist III. I didn’t watch the original first because I knew the story and the ending through cultural osmosis (also I saw the ending to Repossessed on Comedy Central a long time ago), and I was still able to enjoy the film.

Fast forward three years later and now I had an opportunity to watch this film and boy does cultural osmosis not hold a candle to experiencing the real thing! This is not only an immensely creepy and scary film, but also immensely heartbreaking, as many have already said. Just knowing that something is wrong with someone you love, but not knowing what it is or how to fix it is just terrifying. And of course Linda Blair’s performance and the accompanying effects are amazingly chilling.

24.) Shin Ultraman
Shinji Higuchi | 2022

When I watched Shin Kamen Rider over the summer, I absolutely loved it, but part of me wonders if I really loved the experience more than the film itself. (I gave it 5 stars on Letterboxd) Getting to watch a Kamen Rider in a theater for the first/last/only time, with friends to boot, was a hell of an experience and I don’t know if I can separate that from the film itself. That being said, having just seen Shin Ultraman on my TV, I can safely say that it is my favorite of the “Shin Japan Heroes” franchise.

This film feels like a compilation film to an Ultraman series that does not exist. The CGI fights look hella weird, but that adds to the charm because it makes both Ultraman and the monsters come across as even more alien. You can tell this was made by people who love Ultraman just because of all the small details, like how the opening montage represents the shift from Ultra Q to Ultraman, and how the climax is a nod to misprinted information about the final villain from the original Ultraman series that circulated throughout the 60s. I love what Hideaki Anno, Shinji Higuchi, and the rest of the crew have brought to these series, and I do hope they do more.

25.) Noroi: The Curse
Koji Shiraishi | 2005 | Shudder

I have not watched much found footage, but this was a really interesting and creepy film. I do like how it spliced together different types of footage to tell a really creepy and off-putting story. There’s also a lot of really effective and disturbing imagery as well. I do think that at times it was a little hard to follow, and it does drag a little, but I really did like this film.

(as an aside, I got a different kind of scare when I tried to watch my copy I got from Internet Archive through my Plex server, nearly caused burn-in)
Total: 25/31
New: 20
Individual Bonus Challenges: 12/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

26.) Popcorn
Alan Ormsby & Mark Herrier | 1991 | Blu-ray

I was originally going to watch something on streaming, but my internet’s been a little poo poo so I decided to grab a blu-ray instead.

I liked this movie. It’s not the most substantial film, the title is pretty apt, but it was pretty fun! I really liked seeing all the movies-within-the-movie, even though I wish we had more time with the third film. It has some fun kills, and the twist is a little neat. I also got a little kick out of seeing Lt. Murtaugh as well. Overall, it is a little slight, but it was fun. Also, the songs all slapped.
Total: 26/31
New: 21
Individual Bonus Challenges: 12/13

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

27.) El Conde
Pablo Larraín | 2023 | Netflix

This was an interesting film. I think portraying Pinochet as a literal vampire works as a metaphor for how he bled Chile dry, but the movie doesn’t really focus too much on his specific crimes. As a result, this feels like it could be about any corrupt politician. The film is in black and white, which looks spectacular. There’s a lot of funny parts, and the twist in the climax is fun, but the plot also gets convoluted. The film also drags at parts. It’s a flawed film, but I liked it.

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK!:spooky:
Watch a movie featuring deadly, oversized animals OR watch a movie featuring deadly(they have to be deadly!) swarms of very small, tiny animals

28.) Boar
Chris Sun | 2017 | Shudder

This was fun! It’s not the deepest movie ever, but I liked it. Some of the CGI looked kinda janky, but the actual puppet used is pretty impressive! I’ve never seen Razorback so I can’t really definitively tell which is the superior Australian boar horror film, but this was a nice time. Also, I liked how they cast the lamest, squarest American for the stepdad.

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 4/4 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
3.) El Conde (2023) – South America (Chile)
4.) Boar (2017) – Australia (Australia)
:spooky: ALL INDIVIDUAL BONUS CHALLENGES COMPLETE! :spooky:
:spooky: ALL GENERAL/META BONUS CHALLENGES COMPLETE! :spooky:
Total: 28/31
New: 23
Individual Bonus Challenges: 13/13
General/Meta Bonus Challenges: 18/18 or 4/4

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

29.) The Return of the Living Dead
Dan O’Bannon | 1985 | UHD
rewatch

I really don’t know what else to say. This is a classic film that I, like others in the thread, rewatch every October. It’s an absolute classic and one of my favorite films.

That being said, after watching this and ROTLD 2 so many times, I do wish that Thom Mathews and James Karen’s characters would somehow get a good swift kick in the rear end.
Total: 29/31
New: 23
Rewatches: 6

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Oct 26, 2023

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

30.) Fade to Black
Vernon Zimmerman | 1980 | Shudder

I really like the film's premise of a movie buff going on a killing spree. It reminds me a little of Popcorn in a way. My main issue with the film is the main character/killer. He's just such a weiner. I know that that's the point of the character in that he's supposed to be such a put upon wimp, but I think the actor does too good of a job with his performance to the point where he's annoying. Overall, I did like it but I don't know if I would go out of my way to watch it again.

Total: 30/31
New: 24

Greekonomics fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 27, 2023

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:siren: GOAL HAS BEEN MET! GONNA WATCH A FEW MORE FILMS! :siren:

31.) Pearl
Ti West | 2022 | Paramount+

It’s been a while since I saw X but I remember liking it, and wanting to watch Pearl but never getting around to it. But now that I have, I think it’s a pretty solid flick. I really dig the general look of the film, particularly how colorful it is. Mia Goth puts in an incredibly good performance as Pearl. The movie’s a little simplistic because of the few characters we meet and how it’s all focused on the barn.

I know people talk about the monologue near the end (as they should, it’s dope) but the monologue the mother gives earlier on resonated with me for personal reasons so I’m gonna give it a little bump in my rating.

Also, the credits ruled.

Total: 31/31
New: 25

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

32.) The Nightmare Before Christmas
Henry Selick | 1993 | Theatre
rewatch

I never saw this as a kid, only when I was in my teens because I saw the level in Kingdom Hearts and thought it was cool. I think I'd probably like this more if I had seen this in theatre when it first came out, but I still like it.

I feel the same way about this that I did with Corpse Bride, in that there isn't too much in the story but that it makes up for it in its excellent visual design and music. Also, as simple of a design as it is, I really love Oogie Boogie. It's a fun little film and I'm glad to have finally seen this in theatres.

Total: 32/31
New: 25
Rewatches: 7

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

33.) Trick or Treat
Charles Martin Smith | 1986 | SLEAZOIDS Watch Party

This was a fun little Satanic Panic horror comedy that was surprisingly a slow burn. The premise was interesting and there were some cool kills. However, outside of the first, they were all surprisingly tame. I wish this had a little more over-the-top, but this was fun.

34.) Disturbing Behavior
David Nutter | 1998 | Prime Video

This film just made me feel weirdly nostalgic, particularly with the “Flagpole Sitta” needle drop. This was a really entertainingly stupid film. If you’ve ever wanted to see Katie Holmes punch out a lobotmized child, then this is the film for you.
Rating: :spooky: (but in a good way)

Total: 34/31
New: 27

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

Here are my final films. I’ll have a wrap up post tomorrow/later today.

35.) Mr. Vampire
Ricky Lau | 1985 | Criterion Channel

I loved this film! Everything comes together so perfectly: the action, the pacing, the comedy, the spookiness, it’s all just perfect. The only knock I have is that the subtitles on the version streaming on Criterion Channel are a little crummy with the names of some of the characters being different from how they’re listed elsewhere (though in their defense, they might have come from different readings of the characters). This was a pleasant discovery and I look forward to eventually exploring the rest of the series.

36.) Encounters of the Spooky Kind
Sammo Hung | 1980 | Criterion Channel

This was really fun, but having watched it after Mr. Vampire, I feel like it comes off as a little lacking. But it’s still good! It’s funny and there’s some amazing action, with the final battle in particular being spectacular and epic. It does end on one of the most “problematically funny” images I’ve ever seen though.

Final Total: 36/31
New: 29

Happy Halloween my Spook-a-Doodles!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt0GluRr-y4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

:spooky:WRAP UP:spooky:

My goal was 31 films and I ended up watching 36. I completed all of the individual and general bonus challenges.

I think the challenges were well executed this year, even if there a little confusion initially. Allowing rewatches to count was a good idea.

BEST NEW WATCH: Shin Ultraman, The People Under the Stairs
WORST WEAKEST NEW WATCH: Video Violence

TOTAL LIST & CHALLENGES:
1. Wild Zero (1999) HORROR ADJACENT
2. Eat Brains Love (2019) ROB ZOMBIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE
3. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (1995) ”THAT GUY” CHALLENGE FEATURING DICK MILLER AND KEITH DAVID
4. The Hunger (1983)
5. Night of the Ghouls (1959)
6. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK…..IN SPACE!!!
7. Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022)
8. The People Under the Stairs (1991) CineD HORROR THREAD POLL CHALLENGE
9. Creepshow 2 (1987) BITE-SIZED HORROR
10. Corpse Bride (2005)
11. Spawn (1997) rewatch CHILDHOOD TRAUMA
12. The Thing (1982) rewatch
13. The World’s End (2013)
14. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) BIRTH OF HORROR
15. Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984) FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE
16. Halloween (1978) rewatch
17. Halloween II (1981) THE SAMHAIN CHALLENGE
18. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)
19. Video Violence (1987) BACK OF THE VIDEO STORE CHALLENGE
20. Little Shop of Horrors (1986) rewatch
21. Re-Animator (1985) rewatch
22. Onyx the Fortuitous and the Talisman of Souls (2023)
23. The Exorcist (1973) THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE
24. Shin Ultraman (2022)
25. Noroi: The Curse (2005)
26. Popcorn (1991)
27. El Conde (2023)
28. Boar (2017) WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK!
29. The Return of the Living Dead (1985) rewatch
30. Fade to Black (1980)
31. Pearl (2022)
32. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993) rewatch
33. Trick or Treat (1986)
34. Disturbing Behavior (1998)
35. Mr. Vampire (1985)
36. Encounter of the Spooky Kind (1980)

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky: 6/6 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
1.) Wild Zero (1999)
4.) The Hunger (1983)
6.) The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976)

:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky: 5/5 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
5.) The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976) – 1970s

:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky: 3/3 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
3.) Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022) (directed by Halina Reijn)

:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky: 4/4 :siren: COMPLETE! :siren:
3.) El Conde (2023) – South America (Chile)
4.) Boar (2017) – Australia (Australia)