Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’m gonna edit in a number when the actual challenges get posted but let’s call it 31 for now.

Spoops! SPOOPS!

Edit : confirming 31 total and doing all the challenges as my goal. But probably not a whole bingo card this time. Just actual bingo rules.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pouring rain? Check. Changing foliage? Check. Homemade pizza in the oven? Check. A fully charged vape and enough weed to overgrow a fairy tale castle? Check.

Halloween kitten? Check. (And petted.)

Okay let's get this popping off.

The other day I was talking to my sister about Friday the 13th. You know, as you do. And I realized I hosed up the chronology a day later. Bothered me for ages after. So I'm adding a special spicy challenge this year just for me : I'm going to rewatch all of the Friday the 13th franchise before Friday, October 13th.

I think this poster is frequently under-rated.

It's the classic, it's the original. I'm not gonna go into the plot because there isn't much of one yet, but I always forget how much of a vibes movie this is. Most of it is just kind of dicking around punctuated by some good Tom Savini gore and strip Monopoly.

Going forward, I want to keep track of 3 things : 1) where are we? and 2) How many people has Jason killed and how? 3) Are there ever actually any campers at Camp Crystal Lake in the diegetically modern part of the story? I don't remember and don't tell me it's part of the project

1) We're near Hope, NJ according to the sign outside the cemetery where Annie gets dropped off. So Western New Jersey. a.k.a. the nice part we pretend is in Pennsylvania.
2) No one because Jason is either dead or off in the woods with a sack on his head or something. I'm gonna make a big running list in the future, but Mrs. Vorhees killed all these jobronis so they don't get to go on it. RIP to Barry, Claudette, Annie, Ned, Marcie, Jack (Kevin Bacon), Bill, Steve and Brenda. And also Pamela Voorhees, I guess. You can never trust a Pam.
3) Lol no. Steve inherited the camp from his parents, the Christys, and is trying to refurbish it for a big re-opening.

Also, do we know what day it is when all this happens? I'm gonna keep an eye on that. Steve promised Alice he'd drive her to the bus on Friday if she still wasn't happy. Then everyone died later that night. Do any of these take place on a Friday the 13th? I'm gonna keep my eye out for any calendars in the background.

Hell, what month is it? If they're opening the camp soon it must be late Spring-early Summer right?

Good start. I don't know when the last time I watched the early ones was. I think it was a long, long time ago. Like before I could shave and I'm comfortably in my mid-30's now.

1/31
I'll update challenges when they become relevant so they're not scattered across 30-some posts

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’ll second the Perkins Hansel and Gretel movie.

It’s got Alice Krige as the witch. The most obvious slam dunk casting choice.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dagon owns.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Just to get it out of the way : Yeah, I watch Red Letter Media too. I'm aware. I've watched it and enjoy it. Some of my points are over-lapping with theirs but such is the way when you discuss the same thing.

What, was I supposed to scrap my plan and rewatch Pumpkinhead?

A significantly less cool poster.
No I can not explain why it doesn't work.

First, just to get it out of the way, Bag Jason = Best Jason. Those are just the rules, sorry.

Sadly the rest of Part 2 isn't amazing. It has some really good bits, but the blatant padding is something that I just can't stand. When you have a solid 15 minutes before your hour and thirty minute movie starts, you are clearly trying to stretch things. Don't give me this extra-wide margins size-13 font poo poo.

Also surprisingly low body count. Mark's death getting pushed down the stairs is good, but the other kills are either lame (e.g. Vickie) or stolen (Jeff and Sandra).

Also Pamela and Jason Voorhees both really like the whole I'm-Leaving-The-Room-But-Not-Really-Scare thing. Is that genetic? I think we need top scientists on this question.

Anyway, the questions :

Where Seems to still be Western New Jersey. It's next to Camp Crystal Lake, and space tends to work like that. Also the cars have New Jersey plates.

Who did Jason murder? Alice (Ice Pick) Jeff and Sandra (Harpoon), Mark and Scott (Machete), Terry (machete?), Vickie (kitchen knife), Crazy Ralph (chain-garrote), Deputy Winslow (hammer). And Paul is :shrug: from idk. 9 total

Are there ever any kids? No. Not yet. They were doing a counselor training.

I had totally forgotten that Part II takes place 5 years later than Part I. So no, we have absolutely no evidence that it was Friday the 13th ever as of yet.

2/31

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

I might be misremembering but I think part 6 is the only one with actual kids at the camp. Seems to be a more common thing in non-F13 summer camp slashers. Sleepaway Camp, The Burning, Madman, etc.

It’s a bit. :-(

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Running a bit late cause my Saturday is pretty busy, but I at least want to post the last update from yesterday...

Better than 2, not as good as 1.

Full disclosure, part of this project is that I've never really liked Friday the 13th. I'm not really into slashers in general ; I prefer some overtly supernatural monsters in my spoopy times.

Well that opinion is wrong because I loving love Friday the 13th Part III now. Maybe it's something in the air ; maybe it's just feeling the spoopy seasonal cheer ; maybe it's that I tried to simulate the 3D experience by duct-taping a vape to my face for the first 45 minutes of the film : it's a mystery for the ages why I've changed my opinion so thoroughly, but my newfound love is as strong and pure as anything out of a romance novel.

More seriously, a big part of the change of view is the writing. In parts 1 and 2, outside of kills most of the film-making is shooting for qualities like "serviceable". Part III actually has legit characterization. It's dumb and cheesy, but the characters have business with each other and chemistry outside of sexual harassment. Rick pressuring Chris for sex is gross and bad, but outside of that they actually work really well together : the scene in the barn at the beginning had some actual wit and character to the interaction, I felt like they had a relationship.

And Chuck and Chili! I'm more than slightly biased because they're like a caricature of my parents*, but I was super happy whenever they were on screen. Did you notice that when Chuck was using the outhouse he was checking if Shelly had somehow pranked it? Because I did and that's a great detail. The film is chock-a-block full of cute details like that! Harold, King of Schlubbs, and Edna his over-the-top shrew of a wife and their pet rabbit! Shelly somehow having a harpoon gun in that tiny suitcase! Great use of the background as set-up for later on, especially with Jason lurking around the barn.

I wasn't emotionally invested in the characters, but I actually enjoyed having them on the screen instead of just as kills-to-be. And that is a big step up from how I normally feel about anyone in a slasher. If you made me pick between Friday the 13th 3 and a solid modern slasher like X, I would probably pick Part III just about every time. I'm having difficulty remembering the last time I was this happy with a slasher, let alone a Friday the 13th film.

Where are we? Still Western Jersey. We're explicitly walking distance and only a couple days after Part II. Jason was stomping around here 2 years ago, which is how he first encountered Chris. (PS they never explain what happened there but lol, I'm fine with it.) Still New Jersey plates on everything.

Who's dying and how? Harold (Cleaver), Edna (Knitting Needle), Fox and Loco (Hayfork), Rick (Crushing), Shelly (Unspecified knife), Debbie (some kind of clip-point knife), Vera (Harpoon gun), Andy (machete), Chuck (Electrocution) and Chili (Firepoker). 11 total

Running Total : 20

Knife (total) : 8
Machete : 4
Knife (other) : 4

Crushing : 1
Electrocution : 1
Garrote : 1
Ice Pick : 1
Hammer : 1
Harpoon : 2
Harpoon (Gun) : 1
Hayfork : 2
Hot Poker : 1
Knitting Needle : 1

Are there any actual kids or campers? Debbie was pregnant, does that count? Otherwise, lol no. This wasn't even a camp. I think it's an old vacation house but for all I know it was their primary residence ; I don't exactly have access to the Higgins family tax filings here.

Special mention : the news very clearly calls Jason an axe-wielding killer, but he has not killed anyone with an axe as of yet. His mom did, but 1) that was 5 years ago and 2) Jason is not his mom.

Halloween cat updates stopped because she doesn't photograph well at night for obvious reasons. Here's her hanging out with her brother in the kitchen right now.

*my dad doesn't wear glasses and my mom has a German accent, but otherwise it checks out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I <3 CHOCOLATE CHIP CHARLIE

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If you like absolutely gonzo nonsense, I can’t recommend the Vampire Hunter D novels enough. They’re hilarious and incredibly over the top ; by book 4 or 5, D is parrying laser beams with his sword.

The first movie is the first book and Bloodlust is the third. Pretty solid translations too. Like the guy caught that “daampiru” is the non-English loanword dhampir(a half-vampire) instead of confusingly rendering it “dunpeal” like in the movies.

Edit : what?! No he’s not Dracula. He’s the son of Dracula. That’s stated very specifically many times. Like he has whole scenes about that.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 1, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jesus did I pick a bad god drat week to get really busy. Don't worry though! Still been watching Friday the 13th films at pace ; just haven't had much time to post reviews. Let's do a monster post to catch up.

I'm not doing as many pics so have another one of my cat.

Part 4

This is a lot of people's favorite one and I can definitely see the attraction. It's beginning to take itself less seriously, Tom Savini's back to do gore, Crispin Glover is insane as always. ("Ted, where the hell is the corkscrew?!?!") I still like 3 better because I think it's tighter, but the big sprawling cast means there are more kills.

Where are we? It takes place literally right after 3, in the same location, so we would assume it's still Western New Jersey. However it is clearly and obviously not taking place in New Jersey if you've ever been there : none of those plants have ever known a Northeastern winter and it's pretty obvious if you know plants beyond "that is a tree".

Who does Jason kill? Loads of fuckers. This is where characters start not reliably being named in the text of the movie, so names in " " are the ones from my notes. Axel (Saw, Medical), Nurse Robbie (Knife, Scalpel), "Hitchhiker" (Knife, Hunting), Sam (Unknown Blade), Paul (Spear), Doug (Crushing), Teddy (Knife, 8" Chef), Jimbo (Knife, Cleaver), Sara (Axe, Double-bit), Teri (Spear), Tina (Defenestration), "Marvis" (Unknown Blade), Rob (Hammer)

Running Total : 33

Knife (total) : 14
Machete : 4
Knife (other) : 10

Axe : 1
Crushing : 2
Defenestration : 1
Hammer : 2
Saw : 1
Spear : 2

Kids? No. Tommy is clearly a child, but he doesn't get killed and I don't have a category for long-term mental scarring. Some of the teens might have been under-age, I guess, but I'm still not counting them.

Part 5

Okay the grind is beginning to set in. I do not like 5, it is easily the worst so far. None of the characters are very interesting, and it's not about Jason so it's really hard to care. The only thing vaguely interesting is how nebulously it fits into the timeline. Since it's uncapped, it could kind of be anywhere after 4, including after Jason X or something if you had a silly argument for it.

Where are we? :shrug: there is no textual support for a location outside of people being familiar with Jason and it is clearly and obviously shot in California.

Who does Jason kill? No one! He's not in the movie. It's a copy cat killer. *jack off motion*

Are there kids?. Wouldn't matter if there were!

She's only 5 months old and has never seen an autumn before so she thinks falling leaves are the best thing ever.

6 is another favorite for many people. I think F13 is funnier when it's a bit drier and letting the camp speak for itself (like in 3), but there are some good bits in here too. "No, [the dream] was real, just like on TV!" is a hell of a line. I just don't like the extra side business and I think it's cheating to constantly introduce characters just to kill them off. Violates my internal sense of Aristotelean Unities, you know?

Also Jason is finally just an avenging ghost of death instead of Some Dude. Which he means he has that utility belt of murder weapons and the ability to inexplicably pull chainsaws out of thin air and teleport. Cool.

Where are we? Crystal Lake (which was never a town, it was a camp????) has been renamed Forest Green and there's some kind of active cover-up for the name. The sheriff is very invested in this cover-up for entirely mysterious reasons. Sure.

Still obviously California.

Who does Jason murder? Hawes (Organ Removal), Darren and Lizbeth (Spear), "Random Executives" x 5 (Various rendings), "Groundskeeper Silly" (Broken Bottle), "Boring Couple" (Machete), Sissi (Crushing), Paula (Machete), Deputy #1, #2 and Sheriff Garris (Various Rendings), Nikki (Crushing), Cort (Knife, Hunting), Deputy #3 (Knife, Throwing)

Running Total : 52

Knife (total) : 19
Machete : 7
Knife (other) : 12

Axe : 1
Crushing : 3
Defenestration : 1
Organ Removal : 1
Punching, Rending, Ripping : 8
Saw : 1
Spear : 4

Kids? There are finally kids at a camp! O my god! The film studiously avoids killing them, but it's progress!

O god, writing 5 of these in a sitting is a lot. I'll come back and do 7 and 8 in a bit.

6/31
Don't be like me, try to keep up on the reviews

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Look, sometimes before you do a bunch of math about horror movies, you need to take a break and make an apple crisp. That very normal thing people do.

Part VII : The New Blood

Why are there psychic powers in Friday the 13th? Because that's what happens when you make seven god drat movies over 8 years.

It's fine. I don't have much to say about it. If I didn't have notes, I don't know how much I would even remember.

Except this is a good time to talk about the timeline of Friday the 13th and how [i[it's loving insane.[/i] These films came out one a year, every year so things just kind of come in and out. It's a very harum-scarum* continuity where things are just kind of tossed out without thought, and that really fucks them up when it comes to dates. There are more Friday the 13ths than any other day of the week just because of how 365.25/7 comes out, but that still means there's only one or two a year. If you specify that a Friday the 13th takes place in a specific month, then it suddenly gets much, much rarer.

When Tina is a kid, it's October, Friday 13th. What year? Well we can tell because it's from a very finite pool of possible years. The only ones vaguely nearby are '89 and '95 and '89 is too soon. (There's 5 years between 1 and 2 and Tommy Jarvis grew into a grown-rear end man between 4 and 6.) The earliest that the opening of 7 could take place is '95, and Tina still has to grow up before we get to the main part of our story.

So despite coming out in '88, Friday the 13th Part 7 takes place somewhere in the mid-2000s.

Where are we?Literally the same lake as 6, Jason is on the bottom. Just still obviously Californian.

Who's dying? Jane and Michael (Knife, Hunting), Dan (Snapped Neck), Judy (Smashed against tree), Russel (Axe), Sandra (Drowning), Maddy (Hay Sickle), Ben (Crushing), Kate (Party Horn *toot*), Eddie (Machete), Robin (Defenestration), David (Knife, 12" Chef), "Meppard" (Sling blade**), Dr. Crews (Saw, Trimming), Melissa (Axe)

Running Total : 64

Knife (total) : 23
Machete : 8
Knife (other) : 15

Axe : 3
Crushing : 4
Defenestration : 2
Drowning : 1
Party Horn : 1
Punching, Rending, Ripping : 9
Saw : 2
Sickle : 1
Sling Blade : 1

Kids? Lol no. Unless something happens I'm forgetting, there are never any more kids. This was all for part 6.

*SCARE 'EM!

**Some people call it a kaiser blade

Part : VIII Jasone On A BoatTakes Manhattan

O god. Really starting to feel the length now***. It's mostly on a boring rear end boat. What's in a city is mostly Vancouver-as-NYC with some shots of Times Square and the 8th St and Broadway stop. (Which is nowhere near anything else in the movie so I can't even nitpick ; it's very Oops! All Nits.)

Rennie is obviously supposed to be Tina again but they couldn't get the actress. I don't really have it in me to care.

Where are we? Uh the connected river network of New Jersey that has ocean access, then the surprisingly open waters between NJ and NY and finally some wandering around nearish Hell's Kitchen. They kind of have to make up a river network and it's obviously shot in British Colombia (no the Jersey coast doesn't have mountains), but they at least got on the right side of the island and remembered what coast we're on so my dying brain calls it close enough.

Who dies? Jim (Harpoon Gun, the literal gun part), Suzi (Harpoon, Gig-head), JJ (Guitar, "El Kabong" according to my notes), Wayne who looks kind of like Ben Wishaw (Electrocution), Uncle Charles (Drowning), "Sauna Guy" (Hot Coal), Julius (Decapitation via punching), Tamara (Mirror shard), Carlson (Harpoon, Antique), Captain Masterson (Some kind of sheepshoof machete wtf?!?!), "背帶褲"***** (Choking), "Axe Duder" (Falling), Stereotype #1 (Needle, Hypodermic), Stereotype #2 (Blunt-force Steam Pipe), Cop (Unspecified Rending), "Sam Elliot" (Wrench).

Running Total : 81

Knife (total) : 24
Machete : 9

Electrocution : 3
Defenestration : 3
Drowning : 2
Guitar : 1
Harpoon : 5
Harpoon (Gun) : 2
Hot Coal : 1
Mirror Shard : 1
Punching, Rending, Ripping : 12
Needle : 2
Wrench : 1

No there are no kids. I'm gonna go eat my apple crisp.

8/31 Sweet, sweet being current
If it wasn't obvious I'm gonna come back
and use some of these
for applicable challenges

***That's what she said****

****I wish. :(

******"Overalls" in Chinese, literally Belt-hold-up-pants

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

No, no one will complain if the giant weasel or whatever also spits acid. That’d be rad and it is a contest to help you watch rad stuff.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

48) Freaky - 2020 - Prime

Since I liked Happy Death Day (Groundhog Day, but slasher), and Totally Killer (Back to the Future, but slasher), I figured to give Freaky (Freaky Friday the 13th) a watch.

I guess this was okay, I think it might've worked better for me if I saw any of the Freaky Friday films rather than just know the premise. That said, Vince Vaughn and Kathryn Newton were great in this. Doubt I'll sit through this again, but it was a decent enough watch. I am very interested in seeing what other genre films get the ', but horror' treatment.

49) Deep Red - 1975 - Prime

Over the years I've seen this under various edits and I'd have to say the best is the longer Italian edition. Too much characterization, subplot and humor are cut from the other editions.

Definitely a must see if you like giallo. It's stylish, gory, and Argento's first collaboration with Goblin and Daria Nicolodi. It's one of my favorites in the genre and I highly HIGHLY recommend this one.

I completely love Freaky, but I’ll totally admit that the best parts of it are the performances. All the business and kills are fine but nothing amazing ; watching Vince Vaughn convincingly play a teenage girl trapped in a giant serial murderer’s body is the draw.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

Don't ever feel you have to analyze to where you're at risk of footnotes. I rarely if ever do because to me it's like chewing gum well past the flavor's gone. I share whatever thoughts I have whether it's a personal story associated with a movie, or interesting bits of trivia I came across about a film. As long as I come up with something more than 'It's good' or 'it sucks so hard it blows', there we go.

I feel more than a little foot-note seen here lol.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm not sure you were in the main thread when I shared the story, but ages back I dated a Film Studies/Philosophy dual major. There was no such thing as enjoying something for fun. Couldn't listen to a song because it's got a good beat, you had to go over every bit of meaning and symbolism in the lyrics...etc.. Everything had to be deep analyzed in depth and you'd get an earful over it if you didn't analyze the poo poo out of everything too. Obviously he's an ex for a reason. After sharing the story, I got more than a few private messages asking 'is it me'. Rest assured, none of you are him. And despite my avoidance of deep analysis of films, I do enjoy reading the posts of those who do whether I agree or not. It gives me more to think on with the differing perspectives.

O to be clear I’m making fun of myself for egregious foot-note over-use and generally pretentious prose.

Also that guy sounds like a jerk. Good call on that break up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hopefully somebody comes by before this goes live and I don't double-post.

Also Basebf555 I'm changing my my review format up because I think it'll be easier on my end. Unless it makes your life harder as far as checking my work, I'm just gonna keep track of it on paper the whole month and do a big challenge-check/summary post at the end. Keeping a running tally is kind of cool and rock on people who want to do it, but I like the idea of just posting reviews every couple of days and focusing on the movies during the actual month. If that messes with you though, I'll change back because you are a volunteer and I don't want to make your task more difficult.

Anyway, over the weekend I needed a break from Friday the 13th so...

She's waiting for her light gem to change colors
No One Will Wave You ; Brian Duffield (2023)

O god this went down smooth after being in All Friday 13 All The Time Mode for a week. In case you haven't heard the hype, Kaitlyn Dever is alone in a farmhouse on the edge of town, aliens invade, there's no dialogue and the story is mostly her hiding from aliens while the plot gets fed to you via breadcrumbs.

It's not a perfect movie, I could pick some serious nits if I wanted to. But I also have absolutely no desire to do so, because this is the exact kind of movie we need a lot more of. It tells a nice simple (but full and human!) story, and it tells it with style and some good technical chops. The aforementioned nits (they of the picking) are all budgetary or otherwise constraint based or the kind of lessons-learned I'm expecting everyone to improve on. The acting and directing are great, superb sound design, solid ending.

Just an all around solid movie and a great introduction to light horror with sci-fi themes. If you have a younger person in your life who's trying to get into the genre, make some nice popcorn and watch this with them. Or just watch it yourself, cause it's good!

I think a solid half of the people reviewing this movie used this exact same image
Totally Killer ; Nahnatchka Khan* (2023)

Still on a break.

Is Kiernan Shipka turning into a scream queen because she wants to, or because the state of film is sufficiently dire that horror is the only genre besides over-heated corporate franchise slurry?

Regardless, it works out for me, I guess. :shrug:

It's Back to the Future plus a slasher film, with a pretty heavy emphasis on the comedic side. Which is fine ; it's a legit well-written and acted comedy. I don't think it got everything out of its premise, but I don't know if it needed to. It's certainly good enough that I'm happy I watched it and I'm telling my friends to check it out too**. The only question is if it's good enough that I'll remember it in a couple of years.

I have seen

Enough hockey masks
Jason Goes to Hell : The Final Friday ; Adam Marcus (1993)

Breaks over, I got a deadline to finish by Friday and a couple more Fridays to finish.

Jason Goes to Hell was a good surprise and a nice shake-up after how long and dull Jason Takes Manhattan was. It's certainly not a perfect film, but decided it was going to swing for the fences and I can't fault it just because they might have thrown out their shoulder too.

But most importantly, we have character actors! Why is Leslie Jordan in this movie? Because him being a tiny man married to a loud enormous woman and they run a diner together fills me, personally, with joy. That's why.

Richard Grant though, that was what really made me happy. I've loved that cat ever since he played Hostetler on Deadwood. Always great. loving love that guy.

Where are we? Connecticut. Entirely, unambiguously, definitely in Connecticut. Says it on the license plates and there's even a sign that you see twice (twice!) saying Crystal Lake is 34 miles from Fairfield and 44 from Westport.

How did we get to Connecticut? God only knows. If I were a video-essayist, I think I could make a good argument that all of these take place in some kind of weird post-apocalyptic future where climate change has fundamentally changed the geography of the northeast. Sadly, I am not, so I will just point at the timeline and flail my arms wildly.

Who does Jason kill? Full disclosure : I forgot that 9 was a body-swap film before I came up with this gimmick. This makes the question of who killed who with what substantially more difficult because now there's a whole philosophical debate in the middle of it. If Jason is possessing Phil*** the Coroner, and then Phil kills a camper with the support pole for a road sign, was that Jason killing the camper with the pole or Jason killing the camper with Phil as the murder weapon?

Clearly the answer is that the real murderer was capitalism all along.

Kids? A baby existed, does that count?

*Cool name.

**Yes, people voluntarily spend time with me. I'm just as confused as you are.

***Per the credits, pretty clearly called "Bill" a couple of times in the movie. :iiam:

Bonus post-foot-notes kittens : double kitten nap attack

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I love that there are two separate Friday the 13th movies that say they’re the last in their title (Part 4 : The Final Chapter, Jason Goes to Hell : the Final Friday).

And both of them have direct sequels.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Philthy posted:

10. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

I randomly picked one of these, and I think I may have accidentally picked the worst of the bunch. Most of the deaths were just straight up cut aways, with only a couple of unique methods. None of the characters were interesting except for little Reggie. I thought I hadn't seen this before, but I'm pretty sure my brain dumped most of the movie after the last time I saw it. I remember the ending, so there's that. Good lord was this a bad pick. Still better than Creepshow 3 by a lot tho!

2/5

Easily. Spoilers for an imminent wrap-post and definitive ranking, but 5 is the worst by a chunk.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

He absolutely did and he's a complete sociopath.

That being said I don't think I saw Reanimator in Angry Black Girl besides the obvious Frankenstein parallels. Vicaria is a mad scientist but so was Frankenstein. Frankenstein and Vicaria also share some core early motivation of having lost their mothers setting them on their path to try and conquer death. Herbert West is just a sociopath.

Say what you will about Herbert West : he has zero tolerance for plagiarism.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Guess who's coming by to post about Friday the 13th, on this, Friday 13th Eve! Almost done with this!

The eye-holes seem like such an easier way to pick it up.

I have no idea how I feel about this movie. It's the single new-to-me Friday the 13th, and I was utterly mystified the whole time I watch it. Is this the stupidest movie ever made, or is it loving with me? Like, the first proper scene that's not just Freddy exposition (so a solid chunk in), is a bunch of teens doing stupid horror teen things in a house. About halfway through, the lights flicker but stay on. From then on, all the actors are carrying around lit candles and acting as if the power is off, but all of the lamps are on in the background. I was so confused I rewound to check if the power went out or not. It's emphatically not.

Like it's parodying itself in real time. Amazing.

Where are we?. Springwood, Ohio, where the Nightmare on Elm Street series takes place. Except when they drive from there to Crystal Lake. Which is 5-6 hours with the absolute nicest assumptions (literally going almost border to border) because all of loving Pennsylvania is in between. I don't know if you've ever driven through Pennsylvania, but that state feels waaaaaaaaaay wider than it should.

Who does Jason kill? This is quantity over quality. The biggest source of kills is when Jason just wades into a crowd of teens with a machete and just kind of goes to town. (Which was annoying to take notes on. I wound up just quickly sketching a section for "Randos" and doing tally marks.) Also we are officially in the land of not naming characters, so if anyone actually reads these I hope you like my lovely joke names : "Obligaboobies" and Trey (Machete), Gibb and "Rave-ist" (Steel Support Pole), "Mark Boone III" (Machete, Flaming), "Christian Bale" (Snapped Neck), "The Amazing Randos" x6 (Machete), Linderman (Shelf-Brace), "Jay" a.k.a. Freeburg (Machete)

Freddy killed some lowering the overall total, and Officer Stubbs technically didn't of from poor work-place safety and not Jason. (No way in poo poo that was wired in an OSHA compliant way.)

Also Jason's machete has a loving crossguard in this like he's going to fence with it. Why not just give him a basket-hilt while you're at it lol.

Running Total : 96

Knife (total) : 34
Machete : 19

Electrocution : 3
Punching, Rending, Ripping : 12
Shelf-Brace : 1
Snapped Neck : 1
Support Pole : 2

Kids? Lol.

The film can not decide how much we should sexualize that robot.

To quote a famous and learned film scholar, "Bad movies aren't fun unless the person who made them tried". This isn't the fun kind of schlock. It just felt like work and I'm glad it's done. The best thing I got out of it is that my notes have a doodle of Chucky riding Jason like Master and Blaster which I thought was a kind of funny idea even if it didn't really play as a black and white ink sketch.

There's a shout out that hockey got outlawed in 2024, so hockey fans have that to look forward to, I guess?

Where are we? Space. We are in space. I mean, technically all of the films are in space because that's how space works.

Who dies? Guard 1-3 (Chain, Punches and Pole, respectively), "Doctor Shrugs, M.D." (Liquid Nitrogen), "Flipkick Mchaircut" a.k.a. Condor (Falling*), Geko (Machete), "Vroni**" (Pendulum***), "Connecticut" (Machete), Professor Lou (Machete), Crutch (Electrocution).

Running Total : 143

Knife (total) : 37
Machete : 22

Chain : 1
Electrocution : 4
Falling : 2
Nitrogen, Liquid : 1
Pendulum : 1
Punching, Rending, Ripping : 13 (lol)
Shelf-Brace : 1
Snapped Neck : 1
Support Pole : 3

I have clearly and obviously hosed up some math, but I find myself increasingly numb and will fix it all in the final update.

Kids? Why do I even keep typing this category.

Woohoo! Reboot tonight and then wrap-up post and a surprise extra coming tomorrow on the 13th!

*What the gently caress is that giant screw coming up out of the floor of a space ship supposed to do???

**The actress looks a lot like my cousin, and that's how you say "Veronica" in German.

***See foot-note 1 ; I'm running low on incredulity.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Much like those drat enchiladas, our time together must come to a sudden end that is beyond any of our control. Yes, I just wanted to open with a weird diarrhea joke.

I don't know how they found a picture of my highschool graduating class, but they did.

The Reboot and the Wrap Up

I'm not counting the reboot as part of the continuity so it gets no update on the stats or nothing. But The Michael Bay-Platinum Dunes produced response gives me a really interesting jumping-off point to summarize my own views of the franchise.

Largely, they turned it back into a pretty standard slasher that could have been reskinned into another series with relative ease (it'd fit right at home in Wrong Turn with just a costume change), and bolted on little reflections across the franchise : Supernatural guy (I refuse to learn his name) is pretty much Rob from Part IV, Whitney is Ginny from Part II, a dash of the town keeping things under wraps from VI, etc.

It's fine, but it's not my Friday the 13th. And I didn't even know I had a personal Friday the 13th ; as I stated at the beginning I never even liked the franchise before. It's not even a very consistent franchise! Most of the things we associate with it are not representative at all. Jason doesn't have a hockey mask until 3, and he's still running around like just a dude in 4 ; he's not even in 1 or 5. The implacable Jason as an undead elemental force of conservative vengeance only starts in 6, and that's when they start making jokes about it. Hell, nubile young women don't even trip while running away from Jason. That's pretty much a "play it again, Sam" thing.

So let's get into a final definitive ranking, and then I have a surprise.

Xiahou Dun's Exhaustively Researched* Final Friday Ranking

1) is Part III it's just starting to have fun but it hasn't gone full comedy. The short game is the most enjoyable in the whole franchise. I think if you have a rando who wants to watch their first F13 movie, you sit down and watch this with them. Say hi to Chuck and Chili for me. <3 those guys.

2) is Part IV a natural build on 3, with bonus Crispin Glover and we're back in the land of cool Tom Savini kills.

3) is Part VI first instantiation of Jason in full Undead Murder form, the opening is shot like a Universal Monster movie, Tommy Jarvis is meh at best but Meagan is charming enough she lifts him up too.

Where lists mess up now is that they keep going. It's impossible to fully list out the F13 movies in descending order except for personal preference ; it's just not going to be useful to anyone what your #8th best one is. Instead it's easier to separate the wheat (above) from the chaff (the rest) and then talk about the different kinds of things you winnowed out so people can choose how to approach the rest.

I'd argue it's best to put the rest in a couple of buckets : the mystery and backstory group (Parts I and II) which are foundational to the series but fundamentally might as well be in a different series in terms of tone and sub-genre. Then there's the schlock zone (Freddy vs Jason, Jason Goes to Hell, Parts VII and X) which are okay for what they are and you can watch those any time you want some fun with minimal brain activity. Then there's the outright bad ones (VIII and V, with V being easily the worst) which I wouldn't recommend watching except out of completionism or masochism.

But I can't just finish a silly project! I gotta celebrate too. So yesterday, my sister came over and we celebrated the ancestral holiday of Friday the 13th Eve with a dish I'm calling Chuck and Chili Con Carne. Which is a very real holiday and also definitely not me just riffing on my usual chili recipe shhhhhhhhh secret shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Please find the recipe below :

I'm not going to do a big write up on what chili means to me, I'm not a food writer and gently caress that. What I am gonna say as intro is that fundamentally chili is just spicy stew and stew is about time and technique, not secrets or ingredients. It might come out red, but it needs a good flavor base of nice browned bits and at least a couple hours of simmering time. So don't break the bank buying fancy steak or something, instead clear your day, put on some good music and really spend some time and energy. I promise people can taste the difference.

First you want to coarsely chop up a bunch of onions. They're a flavoring aid and a great source of vitamin C, so I often find myself following my Oma's advice and "chop onions until you're tired of chopping onions and want a cigarette". Get those in a Dutch oven on a low medium heat with some oil and let them sweat until they're almost transparent like in the photo above.

As I said, doesn't have to be high quality meat. Just make sure it's not too fatty nor super, super lean. You don't want a scummy greasy mess but you want flavor. This is a mess of chuck I cut up because 1) it's relatively cheap and 2) it makes the whole Chuck and Chili theme work. Not pictured but there's also a bunch of 7% ground beef because this needs to be a meaty chili for obvious reasons.

I push aside the onions and make a deep central well that I can brown the meat in, then repeat in chapters until all the meat has been browned (hard to see in the picture because I keep scraping it off and cooking more stuff in it). You're basically making a giant Fond Mountain of yummy pieces of brown onion and cow flesh. Which tastes significantly better than it sounds.

This is where you start really assembling the flavor of the chili. The taste of big stews (and anything that's going to cook a long time) is kind of like steering a big ship. You need a big giant push in the right direction and then a bunch of subtle course-correction as you get closer. A good way to do that is pictured above where you whack in a mess of spices to "wake up" in the heat and flavor everything from then on. This is a bunch of harissa and paprika for smokiness, an ancho-chipotle-scorpion pepper flake blend I made, fresh garlic and cumin. This is super quick because burnt spices taste acrid and awful, so make sure you stir constantly and this should only take 30 seconds to a minute.

Lastly, I tossed in a whole thing of chilis in adobo, but I come from a people who really, really like spicy food and you might not want to wash your mouth out with vindaloo. It's not a competition, it's your chili. Make it how you want.

Add beans, any veggies you want, tomatoes and then fill the rest of the pot up with broth. It's going to look like waaaaaaaaaaay too much but that's going to change when we reduce it. Right now you just want to get everything together and bring it to simmer and let it all get to know each other for a couple of hours. This is a good time to add a bunch of Mexican oregano and any other herbs. I use dried because it tastes stronger and then I have to add less, but you do you.

Let this simmer, covered, stirring every 10-15 minutes for as long as you can. The longer you do, the better your flavor. Channel your inner Oma. For reference, mine yesterday was like this from about 10 AM to 3 PM.

While you're waiting...

To me, you just can't have chili without some nice (non sweet!) cornbread. I do a basic rear end brown-butter cornbread I lifted from... somewhere the hell years ago. Stick of butter in a cast iron pan, bring to a heat and let melt, turn off and let brown, stirring as needed. Boom, you know how to make brown butter ; it's delicious. Leave enough to coat the pan and reserve the rest in a heat proof bowl. Cup of cornmeal, cup of flour, 2 teaspoons salt, 4 teaspoons sugar (no more!), 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, half a cup buttermilk, 3/4 cup sour cream, drizzle in the brown butter, stir, whack it back in the cast iron pan.

Should look like this when it's all smoothed out with a rubber spatula. This goes into an oven at 425F for 20-25 minutes and a skewer comes out clean. A little something like...

I'm jumping around in time a bit here, since the cornbread should be served warm with just a 10 minute rest to settle, but this should give you an idea of what it looks like. The advantage of doing the butter in the pan is that it'll pop right out with the most mild of effort. You can just slip a spatula under the edge and lift it right onto a plate.

This also shows the last step of the chili : reduction. Remember how I said it would look like too much chili? It's because about an hour before you serve, you raise the heat up as high as it'll go and let all the extra water boil off. Stir constantly unless you hate your cookware. For this hour, you can't get too far from the stove because you'll need to keep stuff from getting stuck on the bottom.

This is also where final flavoring starts to happen, so have your tasting spoons ready and guide the SS Tasty into port. If the meaty or spicy notes are kind of overpowering, you should add a little mirin** or a little vinegar. If you want more umami, add Worcestershire sauce. Herbs, etc. as needed. Be gentle because you can't take anything you add back out.

Sadly, cornbread is not something you can get to hold a form and I wanted to do something dumb and cute for the occasion. I thought I'd check with our lovely Goons with Spoons subforum that I rarely post in even though I like it, and I asked for ideas. User Mintymenman gave me this super dope recipe for cornmeal crackers and I used that.

Mintymenman posted:

1 cup cornmeal

¾ cup all-purpose flour

1 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

5 TB butter

½ cup heavy cream

salt to sprinkle

Cornmeal to dust

Mix together, chill for at least a couple of hours, then roll to approximately 3mm thick. Cut into desired shapes, dock, sprinkle with salt, chill for thirty minutes, then bake at 350 until lightly browned.
If you're doing 3d shapes, sub half and half for the cream, and knead the poo poo out of it to develop the gluten.

Which I used to make this...

The red thing is a hot pepper from my garden that I just knifed into a vague triangle.

This cracker recipe owns bones, by the way. All hail Mintymenman. It crumbles up into the chili very well and I finished it with a very mild*** chili finishing salt so it was a great snack just by itself. It's good I turned the excess into just normal crackers because my sister refused to cut into the Jason face.

Serve with cheese, sour cream and sliced avocados with plenty of beer.

She really doesn't photograph well.

Happy Friday the 13th!

*You can tell, because I'm pretty tired.

**Mirin is an amazing ingredient

***It's spicy by Austrian standards, so not spicy at all.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

30. Appendage (2023)

The sort of parasitic twin body horror comedy that Frank Henenlotter would be proud of, it's absolutely dumb and silly and ridiculous. The best parts of the movie are when it chooses not to take itself seriously, and while it still has fun parts, it sinks a little in quality when they start getting into the *~gravitas~* of the situation rather than just being goofy with it. Emily Hampshire from Schitt's Creek is here but she looks a little plasticy, what's up with that. The rest of the supporting cast isn't much to write home about, except that it's nice to see Edgar from You're The Worst still getting work.

Rating: 6.5/10 Empty Syringes

--

31. Friday the 13th (2009)

I never bothered to see it back in 2009 assuming I wouldn't miss much and, uhh, I don't know why I chose today to break that undefeated streak. Entirely too poorly lit, overly acted, and unbelievably boring, Jason doesn't even get his mask until 45 minutes into the movie, by which point you've already killed most of the audience's interest. There's plenty of boobs in this 'requel' to try and keep the audience engaged, but even with ample nudity, it's still dreadfully dull. The entire cast is unlikeable, and while the kills are indisputably bloodier, there's nothing we haven't really seen before, or seen performed better. Now that I've seen it once, I can confidently say I don't need to see it again.

Rating: 3.4/10 Hidden Weed Stashes in the Forest

--

And that actually completes my 31 and my pledge. I'm obviously going to keep watching movies, but I'm gonna stop logging them because my opinions are trash anyway so there's no great loss. Happy spooky season, everyone!

I almost thought they were gonna do something interesting where the town was helping hide the Voorhees Grow Operation or something. But nah. That’d be too close to engaging.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

That's where I wondered if the first 20-ish minutes were going, that some dudes had inadvertently found a security dog for their grow operation in the form of Jason. Instead the movie's just like, ehh whatever, gently caress it, who cares, let's get some more glib early-20-somethings on screen.

Donnie (a.k.a everyone I grew up with) even tries to sell Supernatural McFloppyhair some weed and then Jason kills him like two scenes later. They could’ve stitched that together with a day of reshoots.

It still would’ve sucked but it’d do a thing at least instead of just flailing about.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Young Tommy Jarvis is 100% Tom Savini.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Philthy posted:

16. Friday the 13th Part 3

Solid movie. Great cast of kids, great death scenes, nothing too corny. Jason gets his mask! I feel like I had to watch one tonight seeing how it's.. you know. Really enjoyed this one.

3.5/5

Hell yeah!

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FYI in Friday the 13th Part III, Chrissy was just supposed to be Ginny from Part II but they couldn’t get the actress. Hence that weird vestigial point of backstory.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

yeah that door scene in Green Room is one of the most uncomfortable acts of violence onscreen i think, just feels real. dude was not afraid to cry when he acted

That part is on a very short list for me : things that’ll just occasionally pop into my head and make me uncomfortable for a second. I’ll just be whatevering about and then suddenly shudder.

I have a similar but much happier thing with the ancient bidoof-is-on-fire meme.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh come on. It's okay to embrace the schlock, but there's a middle ground between a musique concrète soundscape and dollar store Looney Tunes music. Friday the 13th movies are silly, but they aren't scored by an oompah band.

Do you have any ideas how many period movies get lovely modern music and you're really gonna poo poo on the one soundtrack that got it right? My person, who I usually agree with, this is some Cinema Sins rear end "Thing was different from my incorrect assumptions" take.

The soundtrack was done with period accurate 19th century instruments. That's why it sounds like that. The problem isn't the movie, the problem is you don't like 19th century music.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Crescent Wrench posted:

Goddamn, that hurts, no need to get the claws out!

<3 you, hoss. I'm sorry.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Whee let's do some catch up from the weekend.

For the record, the show within the movie looks terrible
Rec ; Paco Plaza and Jaume Balageror (2007)

I just wanted a nice solid little film I hadn't touched in an age, and look at this! I'm not really big on found footage as a gimmick, but here it's an integrated part of the story and it works really well.

It did make me really want to watch this and Quarantine at the same time just to see how it lines up. I don't understand why that movie exists besides Americans refuse to read subtitles, and that being the reason is a pretty scathing indictment.

The most elaborate anti-smoking ad.
Deep Blue Sea ; Renny Harlin* (1999)

Deepest, bluest,
Lo my hat
'Tis like the fin of a shark

It's a very good very dumb movie. The sharks got so smart they can go backwards now! The thing they can't do because of how their bodies and fins work : just clevered their way out of it. Hadn't touched this since it was in theaters and I was little not-even tween Xiahou Dun, and an increased knowledge of science and character actors just improved it.

Some truly high-quality character acting in this
Zodiac ; David Fincher (2007)

It was on Blank Check and I hadn't touched it since I watched it in a theater in Taiwan. (Where I think it might have been edited.) I remembered liking it but that was the extent.

Yeah, definitely Fincher's best movie. loving gorgeous. I'm using this as my adjacent if that wasn't obvious, but I think I can defend that with how brutally banal the murders are. Anyone who wants a creepy and interestingly paced thriller for the month, you should consider (re)watching Zodiac. It holds the gently caress up.

*As if it's not the most Renny Harlin movie to ever ren a harl.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. I mean I'm not gonna sit here and list all the possible entirely reasonable reasons why someone would have problems with a subtitled film like bad eyesight or reading slower or a small tv or whatever. But they're there and I just think its dismissive to just default to the idea that everyone who doesn't watch a foreign film is doing it for a damning reason.

When did we start talking about dubs vs subs, exactly? Because I was talking about Quarantine the 100% Americanized remake.

I made fun of Americans for being uniquely loathe to read subtitles. Most other countries are much more willing to watch them, they’re in fact pretty normal, and if you think they don’t have disabled people that’s sort of on you to prove.

Considering how many words you had to put in my mouth, are you even really arguing with what I said in that post?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

If anyone else was tempted by Triangle, it's on Tubi and has Michael "the guy from Patriot" Dorman in it.

loving sold.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Wheee took waaaaaaay too long between posts. It's a good thing I kept my goals for the month pretty mild. I'm basically just cruising to 31 and doing an amount of challenges as I bump into them.

All. Hail. The Poots!
28 Weeks Later

In my meanders I'm revisiting a bunch of old favorites, but also a bunch of stuff I basically haven't thought about in years : the sort of thing where I only have foggy memories and little label saying "it was okay, I guess?"

This one I think benefits a lot from some remove in time and expectations. It's not as good as the first one, but that's a lot to expect and it has some interesting things to say. I think my biggest problem is there's a kind of thematic-tonal mismatch between Days and Weeks that I find difficult to put into words. There's a kind of definition and telicity to the second one and how it treats the kids that is at odds with some of the chaos and nihilism-adjacency from the first. But it might just be not jiving for me personally less than its actually bad, and it's more muddied than an actual failure.

The cast meanwhile is absolutely perfect in this one. (Same with the first, really. They both have great acting.) Robert Carlyle could've been grown in a Glasgow vat for just this one role ; he's always a highlight of whatever he's in, but here he is amazing. Dude can play insane bursts of rage like no one in the business and he knows to juxtapose that with open tenderness and almost timidity with the kids in earlier parts. Imogen Poots is one of my favorite actresses, so of course I like her in this. Rose Byrne is great even if she doesn't have much to do, same with Idris Elba (lol he's playing American, lmao). And I don't have the Jeremy Renner hatred that's so popular ; he's not exactly full of range, but he's more than competent at what he does.

Still not great, but it's a fun follow up and it improves massively with some lower expectations.

It probably pays well, but I'm sad he's been stuck in Grey's Anatomy for years.
Love this guy.

Dog Soldiers

I don't have much to say that I don't gush every time this comes up in the horror thread. There's an argument to be made that it's the best werewolf movie up to now. (i.e. I don't know if it will win that argument, but it's gonna be in the conversation until the end.) I can't think of anything in action-horror that gives it a run for its money.

Also, the best werewolves are vaguely humanoid 9 foot tall monsters with big claws and a whole wolf head on top. Next best is quadrupedal dire wolf designs. Then there's a giant gap because all of the other ways of doing them suck. The ones that make them look like Jojo the Dog-faced Boy are just not scary.

Is this what 'proactive pedagogy' means? I slept through those teaching workshops.
Trick 'r Treat

Another stone cold classic. Is this the best Halloween movie? As in, a movie about Halloween that you would watch on Halloween to celebrate the season.

Halloween is kind of the big dog by virtue of having the holiday in the title and coming first, but I think it's massively overshadowed by its baggage from being a 40+ year old series. In terms of sitting some randos down with popcorn and just watching a nice seasonal piece of entertainment, I think I'm gonna pick Trick 'r Treat every time. It's light but very well done, it's got a bunch of different tones to please a crowd ; less of a full meal and more of a great piece of party food.

The advertising campaign writes itself. C'mon, Nintendo, you cowards.
Phantasm

I watched all of the Phantasm movies in one sitting with a friend when I was 13 where we decided we were much too mature and serious for this gonzo nonsense.

13 year old me was a loving idiot nerd.

Phantasm rules in a very fun way. It's actually pretty well done, it's just starting from a different set of premises than the average script : instead of writing a script and then figuring out how to film it, they came up with a bunch of cool set-pieces they could do on their shoe string budget and wrote around them. What they wrote happened to be batshit loco madness, but they embrace it and use that to get a straight line from A to B. "Look, we need a dude who would know about music and have a refrigerated truck, so one of our protagonists has to be a guitar-play ice cream man."

It's not a movie for all occasions, but if you're like me and were semi-dismissive of it, I suggest giving it another try when you're in a more forgiving mood. I think it'll pay dividends in your enjoyment.

This man 1) sells ice cream on a professional basis and 2) watched his entire family explode before his eyes.
Phantasm II

What am I going to do, break down the lore implications of the fun time these folks are having for their made up story?

Nah. I'm totally on board still. As a 35 year old with a ponytail (and less than stellar hairline myself), I'm all set for my Reggie Bannister costume this year. I basically just need a black bowtie.

(Note, I remember just enough of Phantasm III that my opinion might change tonight).

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Name Change posted:

Holidays (2016)
Dir. Kevin Smith
Gary Shore
Scott Stewart
Nicholas McCarthy
Dennis Widmyer
Kevin Kolsch
Sarah Adina Smith
Anthony Scott Burns
Adam Egypt Mortimer

This horror anthology based around the theme of different holidays is mostly a bunch of simple punchlines that could have been delivered in even less time than the shorts took, and predicted the moment the opening premise becomes clear. The highlight of the entire thing is the Father's Day segment, directed by Anthony Scott Burns, though the Easter one (pictured) is also fun. Kevin Smith's is of course the worst.

1. Bats (1999) 3/5
2. The Bogeyman (2023) 3/5
3. The Boogeyman (1980) 2/5
4. Bride of Chucky (1998) 4/5
5. City of the Living Dead (1980) 2/5
6. Cobweb (2023) 5/5
7. Dark Angel: The Ascent (1994) 3/5
8. Deadly Games (1989) 4/5
9. Death Line 2/5 (1972) 2/5
10. Deep Red (1975) 5/5
11. Demons (1985) 3/5
12. Demons 2 (1986) 2/5
13. Dog Soldiers (2002) 4/5
14. The Haunting (1999) 1/5
15. Holidays (2016) 2/5
16. House on Haunted Hill (1959) 2/5
17. The Howling 2: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1985) 4/5
18. The Lair (2022) 1/5
19. The Last Man on Earth (1964) 4/5
20. Lockdown Tower (2022) 2/5
21. Matriarch (2022) 3/5
22. The Meg 2: The Trench (2023) 4/5
23. Metalocalypse: Army of the Doomstar (2023) 4/5
24. Nightmare on Elm Street II: Freddy’s Revenge (1985) 5/5
25. Nightmare on Elm Street III: The Dream Warriors (1987) 5/5
26. Nightmare on Elm Street IV: The Dream Master (1988) 3/5
27. Pet Sematary Bloodlines (2023) 1/5
28. Petey Wheatstraw (1977) 4/5
29. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (2016) 2/5
30. The Power (2021) 2/5
31. Prom Night (1980) 2/5
32. Renfield (2023) 1/5
33. Santo and Blue Demon vs. the Monsters (1970) 3/5
34. Slaughterhouse (1987) 3/5
35. Slotherhouse (2023) 2/5
36. The Superdeep (2020) 1/5
37. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986) 1/5
38. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3 (1990) 3/5
39. Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Next Generation (1994) 3/5
40. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) 2/5
41. Titane (2021) 4/5
42. Werewolves Within (2021) 5/5
43. Willy’s Wonderland (2021) 2/5

This is a real movie? I heard about it once, thought somebody was loving with me, and have never had to interact with it or think about it since.

Huh.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

#18: The Banshee Chapter

"MK Ultra experiments also included the From Beyond drugs" is such a great premise for a movie. Unfortunately, The Banshee Chapter mainly uses that to explain why there's a cliche "normal guy but his eyes are black and his face is slightly CGI distorted" monster. They do nothing with that idea.

If that's your premise, I want to know how that has effected American history. At the minimum you need to then go on to establish that the American government has been under control by space monsters or space monster collaborators. Ideally you would build a whole new structure of 20th century American history out of it. School shootings are caused by the space monsters. 9/11 was secretly an attempt to destroy the space monster portal hidden under the WTC. Do something with it, don't just use it as justification for the same lazy monster I've seen in a dozen other movies!

I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

I too would watch a movie of Delta Green.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gripweed posted:

#20: Rigor Mortis

:spooky:FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE:spooky: - Vampire and ghosts, and the interactions between them.

There's a lot of cool poo poo in this movie. The martial arts fights with ghosts and vampires are insanely cool. I really liked the sort of professional respect between the retired vampire hunter and the necromancer. Strong performances across the board. There's a strong theme and pretty much everything is in service of it.

I'd never seen a Jiangshi movie before, and Rigor Mortis makes it seem super creepy and hosed up. Like, this isn't some funny hopping vampire, this thing is a goddamn abomination.

But, unfortunately, the movie is also insanely depressing! The theme is acceptance of death, and not in a optimistic, "life well-lived" kind of way. All the characters are tormented by death. Pure, senseless, brutal death. There's a brutal rape scene and a child getting insanely murdered and neither of them felt out of place or exploitative, this movie sustains such a consistent dour tone.

And in case the super cool marital arts fights threatened to impart some kind of heroism to the situation, it turns out to all be an Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge scenario

Rigor Mortis is in no way a bad movie, but fuckin hell I am in no mood for that kinda poo poo.

Just a note, the Chinese title 殭屍 is Jiang Shi, like just hopping vampire. It’s kind of a shame they had to translate it because it’s a bad rear end title.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

dorium posted:

I really need to catch up on write ups. I only did the first 6 I watched and have watched 38 movies since then.

Jesus. After 5 I needed to go through my watch history to even remember what I’d seen.

Good luck with that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The face of pedestrian safety
Pumpkinhead

Yeah, I joined up on that hype train too. It's just a bit later because I'm slow at writing up reviews.

Really just echoing what others said. There's a lot of good here, but it never gets to really be put to full effect. The monster itself is a good microcosm : Pumpkinhead is a pretty dang cool design, but it's not exactly earth shatteringly creative ; it's a blobby-head xenomorph, pretty much. Still, it's really well made. Except it's not a very mobile gag so Pumpkinhead doesn't generally do stuff. The whole movie is a big bag of O Hey That's Really Cool, but they're just kind of in the bag and not being used as well as they should be.

I did love the little detail that Lance Heriksen's store is called Harley and Son Grocery with "and son" very obviously having been done by hand later. That's a great little detail. But also that kid actor is roughly never paying attention in group scenes. Or well, he's paying attention to random poo poo happening during shooting and not what his character would be. And those two things are in the same frame a couple of times!

It's okay, the US Army taught her how to use nunchakus.
Phantasm III

I've heard people complain about Phantasm III in particular, and those people are wrong. Or rather, I think III is when people fundamentally understand what Phantasm is about : whatever poo poo they had lying around that they thought would be cool.

It's fine, I'm slowly getting tired of the gimmick so I'm spacing them out now. But I actually think I liked 3 better than 2.

Secretly, this is a borderline giallo shot.
Triangle

I need to rewatch this when I'm not under the gun. I think there's a problem with it, but I can't say for certain. (I don't think it closed off some stuff with the loop within a loop)

Overall though, this is a rock solid little time-loop thriller/existential horror. Does not gently caress around with "why" or "how" and just gets right in there with the implications. I'm not gonna waste time dancing around trying to not spoil stuff (and I care for once), just everyone go watch Triangle. It's doing some really interesting stuff and more people should know about this movie.

This scene of them joking about doing hanky panky in the car is longer than any of the scenes with the killer.
The Town That Dreaded Sundown

This one's actually new to me. Somehow I got it into my head that this was super dark and grim and gross. It actually has extended comedy bits and some of the most awful day-for-night shots I've ever seen. Seriously, just terrible ones. I don't necessarily hate day-for-night, I think they can actually be used well sometimes, but these don't even play. I had to mentally keep track of when it was supposed to be "night" because it wasn't apparent from the filming.

Reggie is surprisingly ACAB
Phantasm IV

Orb orb orb orb orb orb orb orb.

ORb

Terror beyond sanity.
Little Nemo

By the time I started watching horror movies, I was too old and stable in my boundary between reality and fiction to be scared. But this loving cartoon? Absolutely scarred me and my sisters. Everyone's a weird creepy circus-mime clown and there's body-horror goblins that don't have distinct body parts and an unclear line between the real world and dreams. And the giant flying hammer head shark. gently caress that guy.

As an adult? It's a not very well done cartoon with an unfortunate helping of Mickey Rooney.

Hurray, I have conquered my childhood terrors and you all now know I was scared of a cartoon when I was 3. If you'll excuse me, I have some screenshots to text my little sister along with PAJAMA PAJAMA PAJAMA.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

KenBran is not a subtle director, no.

It worked a lot better in Dead Again, and I can’t help but notice that had Emma Thompson. Hmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Does You Won’t Be Alone “count” as Australian for the purposes of the World metachallenge? It’s an Aussie-UK-Serbian co-production.

I don’t particularly care either way and haven’t even committed to watching it yet, I’m just figuring out what I’m watching in the final stretch to tick off the last challenges.