Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Just gunna keep going until I pass out.

I’ve got this pile of physicals that are both first time watches and rewatches

And this Letterboxd list to use as a resource:
https://boxd.it/pr13g

And a big list of first time (both in theater and in general) theater watches this month coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

1. Kill List [2011] FIRST WATCH - :spooky:CineD HORROR THREAD POLL CHALLENGE:spooky:

What a mean little movie. I'm surprised I put off watching this one for so long because its incredibly right up my alley and filled with the right amounts of ghastly imagery and tension that it really reverberates in the third act like a gunshot fired next to your head. Just a nasty surprise.

2. Elevator Game [2023] FIRST WATCH

The premise is there and the world building is there, but its missing any semblance of tension or horror. It's really really flat in both of those regards and the talent pool is pretty shallow. I was glad it was a short flick at least because this premise ran shorter than a 10 story building.

3. The Exorcist [1973] - REWATCH - :spooky:THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE:spooky:

It still isnt scary to me in the way it seems to affect a lot of people, but the craft and care that went into this one is just spectacular and the visuals are just as insane as they've always been. Billy Friedkin no matter how you feel about him as a person still really helped facilitate a defining piece of spiritual horror/drama out of a story that could've been fairly straight forward and by the numbers. This feels ethereal and shocking even 50 years later.

4. Children of the Corn [2020] - FIRST WATCH

Jesus this one was grueling to get through. Just so needlessly obtuse and shoddily put together. Something very innate about children who've had enough and have access to a greater power to overturn the balance of power against adults and take over a small town or anything to that effect, but its so devoid of terror or suspense that it felt more like a goosebumps episode (one of the bad ones) than it did a proper movie. Just bad.

5.THEM! [1954] - FIRST WATCH - :spooky:WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK!:spooky:

It's funny going back to these creature features of the 50's. They feel so quant, but the effects and puppets are so drat cool and the movie is by all definition very plodding and "connect the dots" in its story delivery that you could probably guess where this is all going by the end, but its such a fun adventurous romp and silly in the most delightful way that its greater than the sum of its parts. Just a real fun flick that probably works wonders with a crowd.

6.Terrifier [2016] - REWATCH

Good Ol' Art. Just doin what he does the best. I still don't like it as much as Terrifier 2 for all the reasons that many agree on, but I do find its repulsiveness enchanting for whatever its worth.

Bingo Card:

General/Meta Bonus Challenges Progress:

:spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky:
Kill List
THEM!
:spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:
:spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky:
:spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Would Dogtooth count towards this thread?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really need to catch up on write ups. I only did the first 6 I watched and have watched 38 movies since then.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xiahou Dun posted:

Jesus. After 5 I needed to go through my watch history to even remember what I’d seen.

Good luck with that.

I've got them all logged on letterboxd at least. I just get distracted in other stuff when I start to sit down and write out mini-reviews.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I will catch up on writing all these reviews before the end of this dammit. I will.

7. Snapshot [1979] FW :spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky:
This was a curious one. It felt more like a chiller of the week tv movie than it did a theatrical picture for some reason. It was brooding and slower paced and didnt have a body count but it was still startling effective and had more of a bent towards telling it like it is about relationships between men and women and how screwed up they were and could be especially back in the 70's. Good flick.

8. Terror at Tenkiller [1986] FW :spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky:

Now I didnt outright hate this one. I'd even recommend it and much like the previous one Snapshot it has this real lurid feminist side to it where again its two women dealing with an abusive man and the consequences of a world where they need to look over their shoulder at all times. Even if they just want to hang out at the lake for the summer. Effective if not a bit boring overall.

9. The Shiver of the Vampires [1971] FW :spooky: NEW-TO-YOU:spooky:

My first Jean Rollin picture and definitely not the last. It's freaky and psychedelic, but also the safe mode of that. It wasnt really bat poo poo crazy, but it was more like a horror-filled Russ Myer picture except even pushing that EC comics aesthetic even further. really interesting stuff.

10. My Little Eye [2002] FW :spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:

I wish I had known about this one a lot sooner only considering I was obsessed with 28 Days Later as a teen and this would've been the one that really pushed me over the edge too. It's got that real rough production feel to it that we are seeing now even more with the Screenlife genre. This is the progenitor if there ever was one and its a hoot. Even if some of the performances are a little wonky and you see how the plot is going to unfold a mile away its still incredibly effective for a 2002 film based on internet horror. Really good.

11. The Boogeyman [2023] FW

This one really sucked the air out of the room. The plot was non-sensical, the acting was as stiff as the wooden floorboards in the house and the monster at least was kind of a cool design, but overall was not feeling this one at all.

12. Opera [1987] FW :spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:

I think this was the last Argento picture I needed to see to round out his 70's into the 90's career. I loving loved this one and the new Severin 4K restoration I got to view in a theater was immaculate. Really excited to throw this one into the collection in the future. Otherwise its a real taught and nasty piece of Argento flair with a ton to like, wonky character beats but oh so satisfying camera work and music cues. This was a great one.

Bingo Card:

Kill List
THEM!
Snapshot
Terror at Tenkiller
The Shiver of the Vampires
Opera [1987]
My Little Eye [2002]

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

13. Scream 3 [2000] RW

I think I was too hard on this one initially. In retrospect sure some of the meta commentary doesnt fully hold up, but the actual meat and potatoes of the story does and its a nice way to wrap up the trilogy arc even if its been kinda ruined with all these much more mediocre follow ups. A lot more positive on this one than I used to be.

14. Sinister [2012] FW

It's a soft thumbs up. Some stuff works and some stuff doesnt. I think Derrickson does eventually find his footing and there's glimpses of it in there, but its also got this stink of that 00's era cutty/frenetic feel to the edit that kinda punches this one down a bit. Still solid with good scares. Nice atmosphere as well.

15. The Last Horror Film [1982] FW

What a delirious fever dream of a picture. I need to sit down with this one again because its such a strange trip and clearly influences a whole bunch of movies down the road where there's this inner propulsion that makes you second guess the last scene going into the next. It's such a strange movie and I'm going to stay vague around it because I dont think a lot of people have had access to it before, but its truly something unique.

16. V/H/S/85 [2023] FW

The best one of the franchise in a long time. Sure there are a handful of good and even great segments in the others, but this one doesnt thankfully feature a lackluster wrap-around story that I bemoan whenever it we have to get back to it and it moves and a good pace, every one of them keeps me interested and ready to go and I pretty much liked all the segments this time around. Not a stinker in the bunch which I can't say about the last 3 entries in this long running series.

17. Red Eye [2005] FW :spooky:HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE:spooky:

Interesting going back into the Craven pile and getting a peak at a fairly solid thriller and really nails this idea of the two-faced stranger that you really don't think about too often, but I'm sure is something a lot of women have to constantly keep an awareness down. A level of self-defense you just keep up at all times no matter how well the meet cute might be going.

18. Nosferatu [1922] FW :spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:

So I definitely saw this one many many many years ago, but getting to view the BFI edition with what is supposed to be the proper tint-grading to the film per directors notes its such and impressive feat with the level of technology available at the time and when the movie becomes a man on the run sort of situation in the end and you get all these impressively dangerous camera angles and perspectives it really re-centers the concept of filmmaking and what you gotta do when you got to get something out.

Bingo Card:

Kill List
THEM!
Snapshot
Terror at Tenkiller

Opera [1987]
My Little Eye [2002]
Nosferatu [1922]

Red Eye

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

19. The Babadook [2014] RW

Still just as effective and demanding as I remember it and a very poignant and sad look at what a single mother wracked with grief, anger, confusion, frustration and a deep well of sadness internally does to themselves trying to come to terms with so many things. That kid still drives me up the wall, but I guess that's the point. What a creepy little movie I don't need to return to that often.

20. Prey [2022] RW

a nice refreshing pace to get back onto something that while still dramatically whole and a really strong look at the shifting balance of strength within a woman who is persitently doubted or told they were not strong enough to perform as well as the men, but there's this genuine reflection and turn when characters need to concede that yes she's just not just as good, but even better at protecting the tribe and herself. Just a very well done movie in a franchise where it felt like you wouldn't get something like this from it at all.

21. Ebola Syndome [1996] FW :spooky:AROUND THE WORLD:spooky:

Then comes the turn to a very racist, very mean-spirited and drat near nihilistic look at the world of Ebola Syndrome. After our main villain contracts ebola from raping a tribeswoman he passes it along to some meat he's going to serve at a diner, but this all comes after he's humiliated by a woman he's having an affair with and injures her and kills the husband in front of their kid. I dunno man I didnt have a bad time with this one. It is mean and nasty and I wouldn't recommend it to too many people but its really some high trash cinema.

22. Cobweb [2023] FW

I did enjoy this one quite a bit. Good cast with solid performances and the "monster" reveal is quite cool and unexpected. Also a great ending.

23. The Changeling [1980] RW

I love this movie and I love how cool George C Scott is with all the events of this movie up until a point but even then he's so much more engrossed in the mystery than in the horror. Just a great performance from the entire cast and one of the all timer best spooky houses.

24. Alien vs Predator [2004] FW :spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:

Ended up grabbing both of these after watching Prey and realizing I owned all the alien and predator movies besides the VS series. It's honestly not as bad as I barely remember it all those years ago and dare I say? kinda fun.

Bingo Card:

Kill List
THEM!
Snapshot
Terror at Tenkiller

Opera [1987]
My Little Eye [2002]
Nosferatu [1922]
Alien vs Predator [2004]

Ebola Syndome

Red Eye

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

25. Mardi Gras Massacre [1978] FW

Well this one pretty much sucked. That poster kinda rules hard though. The poster is 1000% better than anything in the movie and the movie has a ton of boobs. You can't beat boobs, but somehow this movie just sucks all the life out of it.

26. The Toolbox Murders [1978] FW :spooky:HISTORY LESSON:spooky:

I was looking forward to this one and its a soft thumbs down. It's definitely of its time and it does have some fantastic setups to the murders but its ultimately pretty hollow and not worth too much, but again I did enjoy some aspects of it and thought some of the villain-y did work well, but its kinda threadbare. I'm glad I didnt blind-buy the 4K (but still might get it down the road if I see a sale).

27. The Black Phone [2021] RW

One of my new favorites I think. It's such a Stephen King story (thanks Joe Hill) and it wears its influences on its sleeve, but its just so dang enjoyable and triumphant when Finn finds the strength to get past the Grabber. Dunno how I feel about a sequel, but this one was built out of a 30 page short story so its not like they have a small box to work in. They can kinda do whatever they want and I'll watch it.

28. They Live [1988] RW

Got to see this in theaters and its still incredibly delightful especially with a full crowd really getting into it. As poignant, terrifying and ponderous as the decade it was created in. Still a delightful treat of a film.

29. The Thing [1982] RW

This movie is satisfying in theaters (saw this in a double bill with They Live) and the very young, very inexperienced crowd was shrieking and screaming in the theater. You just don't see movies made this well anymore and its again got its fingers on the pulse of the zeitgeist in a way that feels eternal.

30. Suspiria [1977] RW

I personally love this alternate poster art compared to the other one everyone knows and loves. There's something so much more striking and mood setting for this movie in that poster that It really tops the bloody dancer one by a mile for me. This movie still rules and Dario Argento still rules.

Bingo Card:

Kill List
THEM!
Snapshot
Terror at Tenkiller

Opera [1987]
My Little Eye [2002]
Nosferatu [1922]
Alien vs Predator [2004]
The Toolbox Murders [1978]

Ebola Syndome

Red Eye

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

31. Scanner Cop II [1995] FW

I already really enjoyed Scanner Cop 1 quite a bit, but this one really ratchets up the cat and mouse play of a Scanner vs Scanner scenario and dials up the craziness. These are the definitive sequels to the original Cronenberg film and I will not hear otherwise. Just a treat from beginning to end.

32. Beyond The Door [1974] FW

I didnt quite know what I was getting into with this one, but its certainly intriguing and I enjoyed that it took place in San Francisco. It reminded me a bit of the other San Francisco placed movie I watched earlier in the year The Manitou except this one is a bit more Exorcist-y with some Rosemary's Baby and The Omen. Just a big hodge podge of influences with some really terrific performances if not unfortunately a bit long in the tooth.

33. Unmasked Part 25 [1985] RW

This one is a new classic for me. Had to do a rewatch since I added it to the collection and just enjoy how ahead of its time it really was when it came to the meta-commentary on the typical slasher villain and their innerworkings as a person.

34. Crimes of the Future [2022] RW

I've watched this one 4 times since It' come out according to Letterboxd. I do genuinely love this one. It feels like a warm blanket and I just want to be cozy with it. It's a world filled with such intriguing ideas and concepts of the future and what it all means to still be human and an artist. Just an amazing continuing career for Cronenberg.

35. The Return of the Living Dead [1985] RW

Ended up rewatching this one at 3am because I saw it pop up on plex since its an original VHS recording of it from Monstervision (hence the extra screengrab). Just the movie you know and love, but all fuzzed out and Joe Bob jabbering during breaks of the movie. Also a very awkward interview with Linnea Quigley when she was trying to move away from the genre pictures into more mainstream roles and kinda didnt want to talk about her nude scene/this movie.

36. The Lair of the White Worm [1988] FW

Now this was my first time with this one and I'm glad I waited because I got to view it in theaters on an original 35mm print and it was a beaut. What a picture though just so many weird decisions creatively that shouldn't work as well as it does, but its lead antagonist really just pushed everything forward through sheer charisma and charm. The movie is quite amazing though and I'm really looking forward to a rewatch in the future.

Bingo Card:

Kill List
THEM!
Snapshot
Terror at Tenkiller

Opera [1987]
My Little Eye [2002]
Nosferatu [1922]
Alien vs Predator [2004]
The Toolbox Murders [1978]

Ebola Syndome
The Lair of the White Worm

Red Eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I'll opt out of the movie code drawing, but would take a Jason Gang-Tag (or that Art gang-tag if it gets tossed in the system).