Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I have kids and a day job and a wife that's not interested in watching most horror movies so a movie a day isn't really feasible anymore but I'm gonna aim for 13 movies this year, and I'm going to aim for better than half of those being first watches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

2. Wishmaster

Challenge: Horror Poll Challenge, History Lesson (90s), New To You

The vibes this movie gives off in buckets is "particularly gory Power Rangers episode", in the best way possible. Tonnes of horror mainstay appearances (seeing Robert Englund, Kane Hodder and Tony Todd in the credits is like my Avengers) who get to come and ham it up for a bit. The script gets really tortured to try and work in those ironic wishes, the main actress would be in over her head if this was a Power Rangers episode based on her acting, and the CGI stuff looks like it was made in powerpoint which really does a disservice to the great practical effects, but it's a pretty fun movie. Just really sets the bar too high for itself with that opening five minutes.

3 out of 5!

Watched so far: Saw X, Wishmaster.

Wishmaster isn't good but that intro is loving incredible.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

1. How To Make A Monster (1958)

A Hollywood make-up artist is fired by greedy new studio heads, and decides to get his revenge by transforming the actors for Frankenstein and the Wolf Man into the real versions, and hypnotizing them into kill. An unconventional monster mash-up movie, HTMMM is one part studio drama and one part monster murders. It's dumb but fun, and while I don't think it's incredible by any stretch, the premise is goofy enough and the runtime is short enough that it's over before it overstays its welcome.

Oh, and there's some dialogue that's a little funny by modern sensibilities:

Rating: 5.4/10 Prosthetic Noses

New challenge idea for next year: movies that Rob Zombie has used the title from or sampled in a song.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
1: The Pope's Exorcist (2023)
First watch. This movie is very dumb, but not in an entirely unpleasant way. After a young father dies, his American family (widow, teenage daughter, pre-teen son) moves to Spain where he owned a decrepit former abbey. Soon the son becomes possessed by a demon voiced by The VVitch's Ralph Ineson. Soon an exorcist working directly under the Pope, Father Gabriele Amorth, shows up to battle the demon.

So the thing about this movie is Gabriele Amorth was a real guy who was really an exorcist and this movie is based very loosely on his life. The Pope in this movie, which takes place very specifically during the summer of 1987, is played by Franco Nero and is very distinctly not Pope John Paul II. It's a made up Pope, but a real guy who worked under the real Pope. This is an extremely weird decision to make! Eventually the exorcise the demon and the Pope recruits Amorth and the local priest that helped him into what is effectively the Catholic version of the MIB and asks them to hunt down the other 199 secret demon sites around the world.

There's some decent goop, and Crowe goes extremely hard with a very silly Italian accent. Mama-mia! The kids aren't great, but the little possessed kid is going super hard with the facial expressions. This movie is about 15 minutes too long but it does feature the Pope vomiting blood on a mean American cardinal who was probably involved in covering up sexual abuse so that's a bonus point. I want to see The Pope's Exorcist vs the Evil Dead.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Challenges:
THE EXORCIST 50TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE✔️

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 1/6
HISTORY LESSON 1/5

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Flying Zamboni posted:

2. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1982)

This is a professional recording of a performance of the Sondheim musical about a murderous barber and the meat pie shop owner who helps him with body disposal. It's a classic for a reason and this is a lot of fun while also being well-filmed and edited.

George Hearn is fun to watch as Todd, displaying wild mood swings and an overall gloomy demeanor while still belting out the songs but Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Lovett is the real reason to watch this. She steals every scene she's in and bounces around the stage and adds a ton of life to the entire production.

The music itself is good and the recurring "Ballad of Sweeney Todd" is welcome every time it reprises. It's very well paced and the two and half hour runtime flew by.

:spooky:Bonus Challenge: Horror-Adjacent:spooky:

This plus my last movie also satisfies one of the New To You squares!

I haven't seen this production of it, but when I was little my older sister was in a local production of this and 5 year old me became obsessed with the musical.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Class3KillStorm posted:

Time to get things started.

#1. As Above, So Below (Amazon Prime)

I don't think the in-camera centering gains you anything.

I was thinking about this because I really like the movie, and I was thinking that I didn't mind the found footage aspect at all. I don't think it'd be a problem if it was shot more traditionally, that works well in a somewhat similar environment in things like The Descent. What I do think it gains is a more objective perspective on the individual memory spooky stuff. If it was more traditionally shot, it could be interpreted as something that's entirely in their head. No, the camera sees this, there's actually a burning car down there and they're all hosed.

I really dig that aspect of it, and as I remember there isn't like a "bad guy" or like a monster or even really a definable ghost. It's hosed down there and they need to get the gently caress out. I also liked that it goes beyond typical supernatural ghost stuff into more mystical/occult territory with the flipping stuff.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreshCutFries posted:

Any recommendations for "Monster Mash" movies? Turns out it's hard to google for.

Wiki has a list page for "horror crossover films"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
2: Friday the Thirteenth Pt 2 (1981)
Rewatch. This isn't my favorite entry in the franchise, but I think it's a respectable one and I liked it a bit more this time around. I had forgotten that The Puppet from X-Files (Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose) was Ted. I guess he survives the movie by artfully getting drunk and disappearing halfway through. Maybe he got to sleep with that waitress!

Sack Jason never really did it for me, it's too obviously a riff on The Town That Dreaded Sundown and it lands in a weird space between Weird hosed Up Kid Jason and Actual Monster Oh gently caress Jason for me. Mark's a nice character and I was sad to see him and his girlfriend go but honestly Mark gets one of the best deaths in the franchise and the whole thing of freezing, zooming in, and burning out the white balance on a couple of the kills is pretty effective.

Challenges:
CineD HORROR THREAD POLL CHALLENGE✔️

meta challenges:
Fuckin nothing

3: Friday the Thirteenth Pt 3D (1982)
Rewatch. I always liked this one because I'm a sucker for dumb 3D gimmick shots. I especially like that a ton of them happen in scenes where the movie isn't supposed to be scary so it's just some rear end in a top hat dipping a yoyo towards your face while you're waiting for people to die. Shelly is a lovely misogynist and an incel, and he's really whiny but I appreciate that he's the goony ugly guy in a movie where everyone else is horny teenagers wanting to gently caress or a literal monster. Plus, this is the one with the mask and that's some top-tier iconic horror movie poo poo.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Challenges:
FREDDY VS. JASON 20TH ANNIVERSERY CHALLENGE✔️

meta challenges:
Fuckin nothing

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Deadite posted:

Is the Brendan Fraser Mummy a monster mash? I haven't seen it but I heard the Tom Cruise one has Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde in it

Frasier Mummy could probably count for the Animals of Unusual Size with the scarab beetles.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

8. The Face of Another (1966)

Eerie and precise, this one's like a watchmaker's movie, where everything is meticulously blocked and positioned in such a way that every frame holds significance and meaning. It reminded me a lot of a longer Twilight Zone episode with the Academy framing, stark black and white, and themes of identity, infidelity, and society. The movie feels radical for 1966, and I understand why it bombed at the time -- I don't think audiences were quite ready for a movie like this. The runtime is a little long for what it's trying to accomplish, with lots of lingering shots, and there's a stretch near the center of the film that reminds me of Żuławski's Possession, which is a shame because I think Żuławski did it better a decade later. I also think you could lose the parallel story of the woman with the facial disfigurement, but I understand it's a post-WW2 Japan critique and commentary, so I get why it's here. But the movie would probably be more focused without it. Ultimately, as a portrayal of the madness of losing one's identity and forming a new one, this is a pretty strong film.

Rating: 8.1/10 Hiroshima Metaphors

If you haven't seen it, watch Teshigahara's Woman In The Dunes. It's more surreal and unnerving than horror per se, but it's a loving fantastic film.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

HermitSupplier posted:

*not actually based on a true story, but the director knew it'd be scarier if people thought it was!

It's based on the same true story as Silence of the Lambs and Psycho.

Very, very, very loosely based.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Are any of the Phantasm sequels worth watching?

2 is bizarre and great but not at all in the same way as the original. It's kind of a Texas chainsaw/Texas chainsaw 2 type situation, down to also involving a chainsaw fight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
4: Next of Kin (1982)

After Linda inherits a retirement home from her estranged mother in the small rural town she hasn't returned to since growing up, she witnesses a series of strange events which seem connected to a dark and unspeakable evil.

First watch.

Oh my god. Where has this movie been all my life? The first two minutes of this movie set a perfect vibe for where we will be going. Surreal and disorienting, and filled to the brim with unnerving imagery. After the title sequence we see a series of landscapes showing cold, dead grasslands and overcast skies. My immediate thoughts were of Andrew Wyeth's bleak views of Chadd's Ford, which is why I grinned like an idiot halfway through when Christina's World is featured prominently. This movie is grimy and rough around the edges but with some incredible cinematography, often handheld tracking shots or extended slow motion shots, and an all-timer synth score. Jacki Kerin puts in a fantastic performance as a young woman in over her head and absolutely falling apart, plus there's some neat gore. I loved this movie.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 2/6
AROUND THE WORLD 1/4 (Australia)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lurk Ethic posted:

5) Monster Squad

I told my partner about the October challenge, and she recommended Monster Squad. I've seen it before, and I remember liking it better last time. Meh. It was too much of a goofy 80s movie, without any of the charm. Maybe you had to have seen it as a kid?

The jokes fell flat and the characters are boring. Am I supposed to root for a middle schooler who's such a loser that he has to hang out with little kids to feel cool?

I shouldn't be so harsh on what's supposed to be a light, silly movie. But you know what? I like silliness. This was a tepid flavor of silliness that wasn't entertaining. I sorta snickered a few times, the kind where you puff a bit of air out your nose. But most of it was spent waiting patiently for the movie to run its course. You have to hand this much to Monster Squad: it's not very long.

My old lady liked it. I'm not the douchey Jay Sherman type in real life, so I didn't complain about it to her. That's what SA is for.

One :spooky: out of five.

Nards or no, I don't care for the movie's wolfman design.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like that they were like "you know, a dude with a big mustache isn't really that scary on screen on a TV budget, gently caress it, let's just make him Nosferatu." "What about the mustache version's lines and character stuff?" "I dunno, just give it to James Mason."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Leatherhead posted:

1.) Men (2022)
First watch

Let's start things off with a...well sort of a half-hearted shrug? Plenty of ink has been spilled about this film's failures in 'allyship', and I'm hardly the authority. I'll focus instead on its surprising inconsistencies of pacing and mood. The film starts strong, with an atmospheric suicide and an eerie sequence in a rural tunnel, then makes its way through several vignettes of local misogyny, and then suddenly, surprisingly, we've arrived at the climax. There are some striking moments in that climax, but it arrives with all the mounting dread of a cable bill, and Garland seemingly can't commit to either ecstatic psychosis or horrific reality. Instead, Buckley must play through the end of the film with a sort of detached, underwhelmed irritation, one which comes dangerously close to bleeding into the audience. It feels like Garland had two or three images he wanted to craft, and hastily draped a script around those. Buckley and Kinnear make a good go of it - Kinnear in particular sinks his teeth in, and I'd have loved to see him working with a stronger script - and it wraps up with one of the neatest little sequences I've seen in a while, but all-in-all 'Men' could have used more time in the oven.
Star Rating: 2.5/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky::spooky::spooky:
Best Part: What I will forever refer to as 'The Turducken Scene'

Outside of Dredd I really hate Alex Garland. His movies are all dripping with extremely misplaced allyship that still somehow comes across as believing women are only objects, just objects he happens to like.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Leatherhead posted:

I actually like his other work, but 'Men' not only underwhelms, it exposes the pattern you're referring to (it's there in Dredd too, as much as I don't want to admit it). My hope is he'll take the backlash to heart and veer away from that junk for his next picture.

Yeah, I heard his earlier script for Dredd had Maw Maw described as "disgustingly fat" every time she was mentioned, and the scene where Anderson gives that guy a bad psychic vision of Maw Maw biting his dick off was originally just her blowing him and him freaking out because "oh gross, she's so fat and ugly."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
5: History of the Occult (2020)
The year is 1986. It's '60 minutes to Midnight's' last broadcast, the most famous journalism show on Argentinian TV. Tonight's guest is mystic Adrian Marcato, who might expose a conspiracy that links the Government with an actual Coven.

First watch.

I have no idea what happened but I had a great time getting there. I liked the little details like how the local temperature kept getting higher and higher as we get closer to midnight.

Challenges:
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK…..IN SPACE!!!✔️

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 3/6
AROUND THE WORLD 2/4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The 2009 movie is also pretty great for what was kind of a fallow period in horror.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
For everyone doubting Halloween 3, Cochran's monologue is one of the best in any horror movie ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0aZaeF7odg

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
6: Blades (1989)
First watch.

I knew this would be trashy but hoped it wouldn't be boring. As soon as "Troma Entertainment" popped up I knew I was safe. So as previously mentioned, this is a very on-the-nose Jaws parody except it's a sentient lawnmower rampaging around a New Jersey gold course. How on-the-nose is this Jaws parody? Exceptionally. This is a movie where many of the actors seem a little familiar and you may want to look up what else you've seen them in, and for a surprising percentage of the cast the answer is "nothing" because this is literally the only thing they made. The female lead did later become Mrs. Chuck Yeager though!

It's under 100 minutes, it's largely entertaining, and people get mulched by a giant possessed lawn mower. It's what it says on the tin.

Challenges:
HORROR ADJACENT✔️

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 4/6

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"this movie about cannibalism that has the final fight be a guy with a giant fork fighting a guy with a giant knife isn't taking itself as seriously as I'd expect."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm also way behind on my writeups so I'm just going to knock a bunch out right now.

7: The Texas Chainsaw Massacre Part 2 (1986)
First watch.

Years and years ago, when I was probably in middle school, I caught the opening of this on Encore or during a free HBO weekend and when we got to Cook winning the chili cookoff despite the judge finding a human tooth in their chili I thought "this is corny, gently caress this" and turned it off. Finally I've come back to this. It is dumb, and it is corny, but I guess it was supposed to be. I think this works better than a poe-faced sequel to TCM would have, and Chop-Top is an all-timer villain but this still kinda drags. I'm counting this for the video store challenge because I mean come on

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

Challenges:
BACK OF THE VIDEO STORE CHALLENGE✔️

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 5/6
HISTORY LESSON 2/5 (but only because somehow I forgot to count either of the F13 movies I watched earlier as 80s

8: The Little Shop of Horrors (1960)
First watch.

Knowing that royalty payments would be changing for any pictures produced after January 1st, 1960, Roger Corman decided to whip out one last movie where he could rip off his actors. He reused sets from A Bucket of Blood because there was a 2-day window before they were getting torn down and he figured he could get in there and scrape something together. This movie's fine, it has a charm to it, but it's kind of inexplicable how this was able to lead into a self-aware musical and a legitimate classic film pseudo-remake. I have a very vague memory of watching Little Shop (presumably the Frank Oz version) but seeing a version of the ending where the world gets taken over in black and white and wondered if that came from the original version it didn't, this one ends with Seymour getting eaten and then Audrey Jr's flowers open up and the victims' faces are all flowers now. Dick Miller's a completely inconsequential character who just hangs around eating flowers and he still almost steals the show.

:spooky::spooky:/5

Challenges:
THAT GUY” CHALLENGE FEATURING DICK MILLER AND KEITH DAVID✔️

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 6/6✔️
HISTORY LESSON 3/5

9: Scream 2 (1997)
Rewatch.

I hadn't seen this one in over 20 years and couldn't really remember what happens other than Liev Shreiber gets a much bigger role (boy, they really lucked into getting him for that tiny role in the original, huh?). It's the mid-late 90s, Sarah Michelle Gellar movies roam the land, wild and free. Baby Timothy Olyphant and the star of Sliders Jerry O'Connell show up in this one, along with Roseanne's sister and a few familiar faces. The Dewey/Gail romance still doesn't really work despite the actors actually being together. Hey, Jamie Kennedy actually dies this time! This one still holds up pretty well, I understand why it didn't have the cultural cache that the original had but it's a worthy follow-up if slightly more obvious.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
HISTORY LESSON 4/5

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hollismason posted:

12. Godzilla (2013(

Gonna be honest I still feel like poo poo ,but I'mma try and power through to 31 films this year. Not sure if I'll make it. Anyway this is a perfectly good Godzilla movie.

I honestly think the MUTOs are among the better monsters big G has fought.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Mover posted:

Godzilla should have let the MUTOs gently caress, in my opinion

Serizawa: "No, let them f-"
*power immediately goes out in the theater*

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Crescent Wrench posted:

Ravenous stinks like a butt and the music sucks!!!!!

No! No! You're wrooooooooonnnng!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
10: Candyman (2021)
First watch.

I guess this got shat on a bit but I liked it quite a bit. I appreciate anytime the supernatural entity is given form by people being afraid of it, it's a great metatextual approach to horror movies and it helps reinforce the "this thing could come for you" feeling. Michael Myers can't come for you because he's not real, but the Candyman isn't even real in his own movie, he can still come for you. Solid performances from all the main cast and the ending was absolutely killer. I think a few of the characters at the beginning were cartoony stereotypes (the gay couple, the gallery owners, the art critic) but beyond that really loved where it went and how it played up themes of gentrification.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Challenges:
Nothin

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 7/6✔️
HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE: A film by a black director, or a film that deals with themes related to POC.
HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE: A film directed by a woman, or a film with feminist themes

11: Totally Killer (2023)
First watch.

This movie went very broad and it's not really a surprise that the director also created several sitcoms. There were some clashing tone issues, it felt like a soft PG13 script that they figured out they could bump up to an R by adding extra gore and curses, rather than it originally being written that way. Whatever, the gore was pretty fun for the most part, the mask is appropriately Max Headroom-y, and Kiernan Shipka is always a delight.

Challenges:
PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK…..IN SPACE!!!✔️

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 8/6✔️

12: Us (2019)
First watch.

This is another movie that I think got poo poo it didn't really deserve. I think sometimes people expect Twilight Zone out of Peele and they're upset when he gives them Outer Limits.

Challenges:
Nothin

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 9/6✔️
HISTORY LESSON 5/5 ✔️

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If you like Mr Vampire I'd recommend Magic Cop aka Mr Vampire 5 (which is not a sequel and has no direct connection to Mr Vampire).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't remember any actual animal deaths, they "hang" a cat but from what I remember it's just for a second under the forelegs then it's an obvious dummy. Also there's a kid pissing on the camera for some goddamn reason, it's not really a trigger warning thing it's just the strangest decision I've ever seen a movie make.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"Terrifried" (or terriifried honestly) is a pretty good horror movie title and I'm a little annoyed some AI fake poster had to come up with it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
13: Knife+Heart (2018)
First watch.

"What if a giallo wasn't trashy and Italian, but sleazy and French?" Loaded with sex, nudity, and violence but it never seems to actually want to titillate, only to stir emotions. There's kind of a lot of sexual violence and in the first few minutes a guy gets raped by a dildo/knife which is pretty hosed but the whole movie has a real vibe to it.

Challenges:
Nothin

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 10/6✔️
HORROR IS FOR EVERYONE: A film by an LGBTQ+ director, or a film that deals with LGBTQ+ themes✔️
AROUND THE WORLD: 3/4 - Europe

14: Occult (2009)
First watch.

I haven't seen Noroi or anything else by the director so I wasn't sure what to expect. I loved how it started, that it didn't gently caress around and went straight into weird uncanny poo poo, and I liked the hosed iconography and cultish imagery. The idea from one of the survivors where he sees his girlfriend in a picture 3 years after she died was cool and I was hoping they were going to play that angle up more. I didn't like when it moved more into suicide bomber incel territory but I think the ending pulled it back up for me. I also really liked that it wasn't afraid to have a bit at the end that's still found footage handcam of the director being released from prison and it's 2031 now. And then the real ending happened and uh... yeah.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

Challenges:
Nothin

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 11/6✔️
AROUND THE WORLD 4/4 - Asia✔️

15: Willard (1971)
First watch.

This is one of the more unusual entries in the microgenre of "odd young men who don't quite fit in with the world and today we'd say they're probably on the autism spectrum" movies, along with Harold and Maude, Martin, and The Graduate. It's also not really a horror movie at all until the last 15 minutes, until then it's a cute drama about a strange young man with an overbearing mother and a lovely boss who develops a friendship with rats. It was also kind of boring. Is the Crispin Glover one better? Spookier? Weirder?

Challenges:
WHEN ANIMALS OF UNUSUAL SIZE ATTACK!✔️

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 12/6✔️
HISTORY LESSON 6/5 ✔️

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
16: Idle Hands (1999)
Rewatch.

I last watched this on VHS about 20 years ago when I was in highschool. I remember liking it better back then. I'm still not entirely sure why Devon Sawa's career petered out.

Challenges:
Nothin

meta challenges:
Nothin

17: House on Haunted Hill (2009)
First watch.

Emergo was the most ridiculous and perhaps the laziest of William Castle's gimmicks, where a plastic skeleton would zip-line through the theater at the climax. There are like 3 good scares in this movie and a lot of camp fun and a very charming little skeleton man traipsing around in the climax.

Challenges:
Nothin

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 13/6✔️
HISTORY LESSON 7/5✔️

18: Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Rewatch.

What is there to say about this movie that hasn't been said a thousand times? It's a land of contrasts; the costumes and set design are genuinely gorgeous, the music is incredible. The effects, which are (with one notable and terrible exception) entirely done in-camera(!!!) are amazing. The movie is incredibly self-indulgent in the best way. The performances are all big and bizarre, and every single actor is acting like they're in a different movie from everyone else. Keanu is abysmal but lovable and his pronunciation of "Budapest" is one of my favorite line readings of all time. Gary Oldman isn't content with just eating every single bit of scenery, he also needs to assault several members of the cast and crew. There's a cowboy, and he's the Rocketeer. Tom Waits isn't even acting, he just showed up one day. I love this movie.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
Nothin'

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
19: The Death Wheelers (aka Psychomania) (1973)
First watch.

You'd think it'd be really difficult to make a movie about a British biker gang that sells their souls in an unholy pact and become undead and unstoppable and have that be boring, but here we are.

:spooky:/5

Challenges:
ROB ZOMBIE 20TH ANNIVERSARY CHALLENGE

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 14/6✔️

20: Burrowers (2008)
First watch.

Hey, it's got Clancy Brown! Oh no, it's got Doug Hutchinson too! Horror westerns are a rare breed. This was pretty dumb and doesn't really make sense, but it had a certain charm about it for most of the runtime. The ending was just too nihilistic for my tastes.

Challenges:
Nothin

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 15/6✔️

21: Doctor Sleep (2019)
First watch.

I think this shits the bed a little bit in the final act, but for most of the runtime I thought it was pretty good. It got some flak for the sequences with the True Knot but I didn't really mind that, the cast was pretty solid and most of those scenes worked well. Them huffing Shine out of their victims didn't work but that's more of a Stephen King issue than a movie issue. The way they tried to slavishly recreate scenes and elements from Kubrick's Shining but recast all the parts for the flashback scenes was jarring, especially with a VERY MUCH NOT SHELLY DUVALL actor wearing Shelley Duvall's insane outfits. It was fine when it wasn't Shining flashback shots and you can just say "sure, that's what Danny and Hollorann look like in this movie" but when you're in the Overlook watching a scene you're familiar with it's a different story. Hey, Elliot from ET is playing Jack Nicholson playing Jack Torrance!

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 16/6✔️

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
22: Creep (2014)
First watch.

This isn't incredible or revelatory but it was pretty good! On the better end of "fine." Significantly better than "found footage horror movie written by and starring one of the guys from The League" has any right to be. Mark Duplass is really good at playing someone pretty unsettling to be around. I heard the original idea was more firmly dark humor and it kind of resolved into a more straightforward horror movie in editing, and that kinda shows, there are little bits that feel slightly out of place, like Duplass' Looney Tunes tiptoes at the end. Still, pretty decent!

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 17/6✔️

23: Creep 2 (2017)
First watch.

It's more Creep! Duplass is doing his shtick again although this time he looks like he should be stalking a microbrewery and you see him hang dong, and he's pretty sad for like 2/3 of the runtime. I liked the dynamic between the woman and Duplass for the first significant portion of the movie, but after he tries hanging himself and she gets freaked out the dynamic reverses and it becomes a little more tired. I also thought having him straight up having murdered dozens of people and never been caught and the insane amount of damage he's shrugging off were a little much.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 18/6✔️

24: Cat People (1942)
First watch.

Probably the bets of Jacques Tourneur's 3 or 4 worthwhile low-budget horror movies, along with the (fairly similar) Leopard Man, Night of the Demon and debatably I Walked With A Zombie. The bus scare still hits and may be the first real jump scare in cinema, and the pool scene is fresh and surprisingly effective. I assume It Follows cribbed their pool scene from this but if you're going to steal, steal from the best.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 19/6✔️
HISTORY LESSON 8/5✔️

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
25: Signs (2002)
Rewatch.

I was in highschool when this movie came out and it still freaked me out for a long goddamn time. I've always had a thing for alien movies and the coal chute scene in the basement, where the arm's in the shot and you don't notice it until it moves, that freaked me out as a kid. This time watching it the emotional beats actually hit pretty well even if the scares didn't.

Shyamalan is someone who absolutely needs a writing partner or a script editor he trusts who can tell him when an idea is stupid or he needs to roll through a few more drafts. God killed Mel Gibson's wife so he would doubt his faith, and then killed thousands or millions of other people so he'd get it back. We end with the status quo for our main character, he's right back where he was before the movie started and they killed a ton of people to get us back to square one, great job, God. The other thing Shyamalan needs to have is someone to tell him not to act in his loving movies, jesus.

The kids and Joaquin are fantastic, Mel's turning in an absolute powerhouse performance like 60% of the time and hey, that's Ukee Washington! Hi Ukee!

Challenges:
BIRTH OF HORROR✔️

meta challenges:
Nothin'

26: Silver Bullet (1985)
Rewatch.

What I had forgotten in the 10 or so years since I've last seen this movie is how many of the tertiary characters' actors are turning in absolutely bonkers cartoon performances. There are a shocking amount of legit gags in this movie, like the guy getting his leg caught in the bear trap and the werewolf arm sticking up out of the fog to beat the redneck to death with his own bat. Anyway this is a period piece in that it takes place in 1976, except nobody bothered to actually do any work at all to set it in 1976 and there are 80s cars and cans of diet coke all over the place. I'm surprised characters aren't turning directly to the camera and saying "Ronald Reagan is president."

The werewolf costume is also embarrassing so they lose points there.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
Nothin'

27: The Witch (2015)
Rewatch.

I still love this movie. ATJ is amazing and it's no surprise she's been the big breakout star. I'm a little shocked Harvey Scrimshaw hasn't been in more, his soliloquy is fantastic. Solid dread and gnarly vibes throughout and an all-timer ending.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
Nothin'

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
28: Trick R Treat (2007)
Rewatch.

I don't really like Michael Dougherty as a director, I hated Krampus and KOTM and it soured me retroactively on this one. Rewatching it, it's definitely flawed but for the most part still works and Sam is a fun little dude.

Challenges:
BITE-SIZED HORROR✔️

meta challenges:
Nothin'

29: Malignant (2021)
Rewatch.

A fun tribute to Frank Hennenlotter. Apparently the prologue set in the hospital was a late addition, I guess they figured they needed to get people used to the idea that this was going to be the kind of movie where someone breathlessly explains to a doctor that they tried electroshock and it's eating the electricity while bathed in red and blue spotlights and shot at a dutch angle. The first act is too Conjuring-style James Wan but it picks up. I like that this lady having an evil little face on the back of her head turns her into Neo or something. There are a lot of idiotic shots of the stuntwoman running backwards while trying to do parkour and also several shots where they knew that wasn't gonna happen and just had her run normally, hoping we wouldn't notice. Love this dumb movie and cinema's greatest chair throw.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
Nothin'

30: Evil Dead (2013)
First watch.

I avoided this at the time because the idea of an Evil Dead pseudo-remake annoyed me, although I know it had been critically reappraised a lot in the last 10 years. This was better than I had expected when it came out, but it's still probably my least favorite movie in the franchise. I appreciate how gnarly it is and just how much fake blood they whip out, but it's too inconsistent and the deadites don't seem like they're having all that much fun. The deadites just killing folks and loving it is what makes the ED movies so charming for me.

Challenges:
Nothin'

meta challenges:
NEW-TO-YOU 20/6✔️

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

46. Halloween 3: Season of the Witch (1982)

Admit it, you're humming that loving jingle to yourself right now, aren't you? I'm not a massive fan of the franchise beyond the first movie, but I admire this movie for trying something different. It does get kinda messy, and slows to a crawl in spots where it just gets a bit too talky, to the point where it feels a bit like a Tales from the Crypt episode blown up to feature length, but it really delivers on the spooky season vibes, and the requisite Carpenter score is obviously brilliant. Plus a guy gets his head pulled off by a robot, and a bunch of people's heads get melted into bugs, and you can't hate that. As a weird aside, I'm now 2 for 2 today on movies where someone is attacked by a disembodied arm.

"HAPPY HAPPY HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN, HALLOWEEN, HAPPY HAPPY HALLOWEEN, SILVER SHAMROCK"

4 out of 5!

Watched so far: Saw X, Wishmaster, F13 Part 6, One Cut of the Dead, The Exorcism of God, The Stuff, Razorback, The Curse of Frankenstein, Demon Knight, Freaky, V/H/S, Trick 'r' Treat, Goodnight Mommy. Matriarch, Last House on the Left, Phantasm, Dude Bro Party Massacre III, Exorcist: Believer, No-One Will Save You, VHS/85, Hellraiser, Totally Killer, Beaten to Death, Hellraiser II, Annabelle: Creation, Unfriended: Dark Web, House of 1000 Corpses, Phantasm 2, Re-Animator, From Beyond, Terrifier 2, TCM '03, Devil's Rejects, The Exorcist, Would You Rather, Lords of Salem, Pumpkinhead, Maniac Cop, The Blob, It Lives Inside, Drag Me to Hell, Phantasm 3, Phantasm 4, Phantasm 5, Five Nights at Freddy's, Ready or Not, Child's Play, Blair Witch Project, When Evil Lurks, Ring, Return of the Living Dead, Halloween 3

I say this a lot but Cochran's big soliloquy at the end is an absolute, hands down, all-timer Halloween moment for me.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
31: Halloween (1978)
Rewatch.

What is there to say? The classic and still king. John Carpenter just wants to smoke weed and play sonic games and gently caress around on a synth with his kid and that's cool, he already gave us Halloween.

Challenges:
THE SAMHAIN CHALLENGE✔️
THE CHALLENGE 31/31✔️

I didn't think I'd get it, but by gum I got 31 movies in this month and the only challenge I missed was Childhood Trauma - the movie that scared me the most as a kid was ET and I don't think that would really count for this thread.

We had a good Halloween, weather held out, kids were all doing alright, and even though we bought a poo poo ton of candy we ended up giving away almost exactly all of it. A fantastic cap to a great October.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd like to opt-out of the codes, I'm probably not gonna use em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not going to do a wrap up post because I don't have the mental energy to organize like that, but I will say that without question the best first watch was Next Of Kin. Absolutely blew me away and I'm still thinking about it a month later. Unreal.