Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
:catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs:

:catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs::catdrugs:

Summary

From SquareEnix posted:

Maomao, a young woman trained in the art of herbal medicine, is forced to work as a lowly servant in the inner palace. Though she yearns for life outside its perfumed halls, she isn’t long for a life of drudgery! Using her wits to break a “curse” afflicting the imperial heirs, Maomao attracts the attentions of the handsome eunuch Jinshi and is promoted to attendant food taster. But Jinshi has other plans for the erstwhile apothecary, and soon Maomao is back to brewing potions and…solving mysteries?!

The Apothecary Diaries is originally a Light Novel series by Natsu Hyuga, first self-published in 2011, novelized in 2012 and then officially published as an LN with illustrations in 2014. The series has two manga adaptations running concurrently, both following the same story. The first is by SquareEnix, originally starting in May 2017 and with which the anime is based off of. It is also officially licensed in English. The other is by Shogakukan, originally starting in August of the same year. It is not officially licensed and goes by the name: "Kusuriya no Hitorigoto: Mao Mao no Kōkyū Nazotoki Techō" TN: "The Apothecary Diaries: The Palace Cloister Mystery-Solving Notebook of Mao Mao"

The anime begins on October 22 with 3 episodes, slated for two cours, and Crunchy has the streaming license.

Characters

Maomao (猫猫) - CV: Aoi Yuki (you should know who this is)
Hobbies: Testing poisons (on herself)

Jinshi (壬氏) - CV: Takeo Ōtsuka (Aqua, Oshi no Ko; Nudist Poseidon, Sleepy Princess)
Hobbies: Teasing Maomao

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/miso_katsu/status/1695081652953940357

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Bring forth the adventures of cat cat

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I am actually disappointed the emojis don't work in the title.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Xelkelvos you dick you got my hopes up but it doesn't air for another three weeks :negative:

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I hadn't even looked. Of course it's Aoi Yuki. One more tic making me looking forward to the series.

It's Aoi Yuki's world, we're just living in it.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Xelkelvos you dick you got my hopes up but it doesn't air for another three weeks :negative:

Ugh fine. Which manga is better?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
One only has a handful of chapters translated and the other has dozens, so you probably want that one.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

One only has a handful of chapters translated and the other has dozens, so you probably want that one.

The one that has more chapters translated also is officially licensed which can help if you don't mind :filez:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyHqh8ue4zw

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It took me like a full volume to realize this isn't an isekai. This could get really good.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ragnar34 posted:

It took me like a full volume to realize this isn't an isekai. This could get really good.

Well she is transported from one world (a brothel) to a different world (a fancier brothel) and succeeds due to her incredible and unusual knowledge (can read)

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Incredibly broad use of that term.

It's a harem.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

everyone's voices are alot louder than other typical palace drama series

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Caught up to the manga. So I take it "🐈 x 🐸" doesn't work as a thread title?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Emojis don't work in thread titles.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The emoji will show up in the input box, but it'll get displayed as what you see in the title. Trying to add kanji/hanzi flat out doesn't work.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
RADIUM :argh:

Looking forward to maomao calling jinshi an insect.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I don't know how far we want to get into spoiler territory, so I'll be vague withe my question. What volume of the manga do you think they'll get to in the anime?

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Probably around 500 cubic centimeters. :holy:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's episodic enough that I could see them jumping around.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, two different manga adaptations, a light novel, and an anime. Which one is the recommended option for people with no exposure to this series?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

/waiting for best poison addict of the season

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

So, two different manga adaptations, a light novel, and an anime. Which one is the recommended option for people with no exposure to this series?

Probably the manga or the LN. The anime, when it comes out, will probably be more accessible.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Saoshyant posted:

The manga with 9 volumes out on the US for sure. I like the art more and more is accessible. Then again, I don't futz around with light novels.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Saoshyant posted:

The anime appears to be (much) more based on the Square-Enix adaptation of the manga. As mentioned above, this is also the only one licensed in English. I'd say start with the easiest thing to intro yourself into and dig deeper if you like it. Anime --> manga --> LN.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The other version includes a bit more small details and such so I think it's worth reading as well, assuming more of it ever gets translated.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

RoyalScion posted:

The other version includes a bit more small details and such so I think it's worth reading as well, assuming more of it ever gets translated.

Yeah, I quite like it myself. The extra details really helps character moments shine. Unfortunately, I just don't think it's super accessible because it's not actively being translated and unlikely to ever get an official release (probably). Really neat to compare the two manga versions side-by-side, though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The manga's fine, the LN is good for getting into Maomao's thoughts, although I find other character povs kind of uninteresting.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

What streaming service is this suppose to be on that I’m still not seeing it

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

GateOfD posted:

What streaming service is this suppose to be on that I’m still not seeing it

Crunchyroll, I think, if my tv tracking app is correct.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If it's crunchy it won't show up until the day it airs probably. It's not like hi dive where they put up the show page like a week in advance sometimes.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
New Chapter: The Baths

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Thanks for the update! It's interesting to note the details they gave about beauty regimens and the "status" of certain roles in society.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:suspense:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/SquareEnixBooks/status/1715352165756346799?s=19

The Light Novel has been announced for official English release

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MM subconsciously, frantically wiping her hand while she thinks about the frog incident is sort of upsetting and I hope she's okay :(

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

RuBisCO posted:

https://twitter.com/SquareEnixBooks/status/1715352165756346799?s=19

The Light Novel has been announced for official English release

For print maybe. J novel has had it for quite some time and is on vol 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet