Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Maomao also has just enough tact to not overtly show her disdain for someone more powerful than her (which is everyone), at least not in an obviously disrespectful way. Anyone provoking an open response of disgust or even just dislike is someone who has deeply bothered her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

disposablewords posted:

Maomao also has just enough tact to not overtly show her disdain for someone more powerful than her (which is everyone), at least not in an obviously disrespectful way. Anyone provoking an open response of disgust or even just dislike is someone who has deeply bothered her.

I agree with this, insofar as someone deeply bothering her doesn't necessarily reflect her deeper feelings as negative. I read her disgust reactions towards Jinshi as reflecting an underlying fondness with which she's very uncomfortable in contrast with her disgust towards Lakan which is clearly different, as evidenced by Jinshi saying he'd never seen her make that face and hopes he never sees it again.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
In the english dub, Lakan says, 'Right time, set of circumstances, I could've easily made her mine', which when watching I read as him being annoyed that he had to resort to using, as the dub also says, 'a nasty little trick' which we later find out is pregnancy. Like he's got sour grapes about the whole thing even though he got what he wanted, because it made him feel less powerful and wealthy that he wasn't able to pay her full worth legitimately.

Maybe something was lost in translation?

Pyrotoad fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 21, 2024

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If you'd like, here's how that scene was rendered in the LN

quote:

“I thought about buying out her contract. Figured I would never meet a woman so interesting again. But life doesn’t always give you what you want, boyo. A couple of interested parties showed up, both very rich, and started a bidding war. Drove up the price.”

“Goodness.”

Sometimes buying out a courtesan’s contract could cost as much as building a small palace. In other words, the bidding war had put the woman out of Lakan’s reach.

But why was he telling Jinshi this?

“She was one odd duck, that lady. Sold her arts but never her body. Hell, she didn’t seem to think of her customers as customers. When you had tea with her, she never would act like she was serving her master or anyone important. No, no. Instead she’d look at you, imperious, like royalty granting an audience to the basest peasant. Now, there are those that like that kind of treatment, and they went mad for her. I mean, listen to me—takes one to know ’em, eh? Ah, the very thought sends a shiver down my spine!”

Jinshi, growing more and more uncomfortable with the conversation, tried to look away from Lakan. Gaoshun was stationed quietly in the background. His mouth was pulled into a single, straight line and he was biting his lip hard.

There were a great many people in this world who shared Lakan’s predilections.

Jinshi wasn’t sure if Lakan realized the effect he was having; in any event, the arch-eccentric went on: “Ah, what I wouldn’t have given to take her to bed!” His leering grin betrayed no small hint of madness. “I admit, in the end I just couldn’t let her go. I resorted to a bit of an underhanded scheme. Suffice to say that if she was too expensive for me to afford, all I had to do was make her cheaper, mm?” Shave off the premium, as it were.

Behind his monocle, Lakan’s fox-like eye was sparkling. “Aren’t you curious what I did?”

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pork never goes bad posted:

I agree with this, insofar as someone deeply bothering her doesn't necessarily reflect her deeper feelings as negative. I read her disgust reactions towards Jinshi as reflecting an underlying fondness with which she's very uncomfortable in contrast with her disgust towards Lakan which is clearly different, as evidenced by Jinshi saying he'd never seen her make that face and hopes he never sees it again.

Yeah, Maomao's feelings towards Lakan go way beyond distrust, she actively loathes the guy unlike anyone else. Also the courtesans at Verdigris House have been protecting her from him for years as best they can, to the point where they have a standard protocol of hiding her away whenever he visits

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Pyrotoad posted:

Like he's got sour grapes about the whole thing even though he got what he wanted

He did not in fact get what he wanted.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you'd like, here's how that scene was rendered in the LN

See this makes it a lot less creepy sounding, especially given the prior bits in the story about concubines and courtseans engaging in ploys to get out of relations they don't want and into relations they do.

Sadly... it went wrong apparently, schemer hosed up his scheme somehow

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I broke down and started reading the manga. I'd planned to after the season finished. I haven't got to this point yet, but I am very much enjoying my second run through with catcat. I'll give my updated impression when I'm caught up, but if you're anime only (or LN and anime only if those people exist) I can definitely recommend the manga for getting another window into the characters. Kinda a bummer to take myself outta speculation chat so I'm relying on y'all to be active!!!!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

He did not in fact get what he wanted.

Also hella this

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

caught up to ep19
nice way for all the little mysteries to come together a bit.

the last scene was so good.
loved the music cue and him carrying her out. And we could tell he's a very high standing, but seeing everyone he pass by with their head down bowed to him is so strong

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 23, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Maomao may not want to talk or even think about it, but I still really want to know what's up with That Guy.

How much time has passed since the start of the anime? That pink haired girl sure has grown.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It's been, what... half a year-ish since the face powder incident? They went through winter and it's warm again now but not fall yet.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

cant cook creole bream posted:

Maomao may not want to talk or even think about it, but I still really want to know what's up with That Guy.

How much time has passed since the start of the anime? That pink haired girl sure has grown.

A year or so. Kids grow fast when they're young, and we more or less started a few months into her life (Technically the anime started with her birth, but we quickly timeskipped a bit in). They mentioned this episode that one of the earlier cases was the previous year. It's not super clear, but the show probably started in the summer, and we're probably back in summer now.

Worth keeping in mind that the entire course of episode one actually took a lot of time. Maomao got kidnapped in the fall (there's leaves falling), the babies are born when there's snow falling, and then we cut to an apparent temperate time. Maomao's probably been around the palace in general for almost two years now.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 25, 2024

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It also doesn't help that not every character designer is super good at depicting age in a really granular fashion

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
More of the alternate manga has updated and it provides some extra details that were cut for time including: Maomao was rehired with the expectation to return to the Inner Palace, but she apparently failed the exams for it despite Jinshi giving her the study materials for it. Maomao's only interested in poisons and medicines (that she tried to bring with her before being told by her dad that those weren't allowed). One of her older sisters did giver her some very expensive makeup to take along though.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/56d39c28-a150-4355-af6c-6b2bd20bdfc5

Re the anime: We have finally learned one of Jinshi's secrets. He's taking medieval T blockers

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

More of the alternate manga has updated and it provides some extra details that were cut for time including: Maomao was rehired with the expectation to return to the Inner Palace, but she apparently failed the exams for it despite Jinshi giving her the study materials for it. Maomao's only interested in poisons and medicines (that she tried to bring with her before being told by her dad that those weren't allowed). One of her older sisters did giver her some very expensive makeup to take along though.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/56d39c28-a150-4355-af6c-6b2bd20bdfc5

I'm pretty sure that was all in the anime.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yeah it got just a couple of panels in the square enix manga iirc but in the anime she specifically mentions not being good at studying things that don't interest her and failing the exam

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wow, we really got a lot of info on Gaoshun and Jinshi from their chat near the end of this episode. I also like Jinshi finally realized the connection between THAT MAN and Maomao.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Saoshyant posted:

I also like Jinshi finally realized the connection between THAT MAN and Maomao.

I thought he straight up said it in a conversation with Jinshi, am I misremembering?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

gwrtheyrn posted:

I thought he straight up said it in a conversation with Jinshi, am I misremembering?

He did. And Jinshi even notes that he'd pretty much already figured it out anyway.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Having now moved past the anime-present in the manga, I can heartily recommend picking it up to anyone who's enjoying this show. I don't regret starting now, but obviously waiting wouldn't be a bad call if you think it'd be how you'd enjoy the two more. There's enough differences in, like, shot composition and framing, and how explicit vs clearly implied certain plot elements are and the manga is good enough quality that reading the parts I watched felt great. I think in particular it helped me better understand Maomao, Jinshi, Lakan, and Gaoshun's motivations through the parts we've seen.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
A nice little reprise before we barrel into the final movements.

What a lovable himbo

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
PiiKIIIIIIIIIN

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I do adore Maomao and her continuing ability to inadvertently send Jinshi into a tailspin of frenetic panic.

I also liked the way Lihaku's internal monologue talks about how he'd refuse to allow anyone to talk badly about Pairin, and then we see Jinshi immediately project menace for a moment when Lihaku says something possibly backhanded about Maomao.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I can't believe how invested I am in this show.
Looks like next episode Maomao will confront a certain person.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Same

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
how far ahead is the LN official translation of the anime (or likely stopping point of the anime)?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The anime should finish up volume 2 this cour. Publication of the LN is up to volume 10 with volume 11 available partly as a prepub.

https://j-novel.club/series/the-apothecary-diaries

Obvious spoilers if you look at future volumes here.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

Nitrousoxide posted:

The anime should finish up volume 2 this cour. Publication of the LN is up to volume 10 with volume 11 available partly as a prepub.

https://j-novel.club/series/the-apothecary-diaries

Obvious spoilers if you look at future volumes here.

oh poo poo they are really going all out adapting it if 24 eps spanned only 2 volumes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wow, that is way more volumes than I expected the light novel to be at. If we are just up to volume 2 in the anime, it's surprisingly feeling (to me) that we are reaching if not the end game, at least being half way there. How is still in the first 15%? I can only hope the source material keeps the same quality throughout -- we are certainly not going to see the whole thing animated.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

That's just the English releases the series is up to 14.

And yeah if you like what you've seen so far the rest is just as good.

I really hope they do the whole thing because there's a bunch of stuff I'd love to see animated.

Edit: I literally started watching anime again after like ten years because of this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm reasonably confident there will be more seasons to the anime, or at least they are leaving open the possibility of more. They are introducing characters that aren't necessary for these two cours but who come up in later stuff like Rikuson

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/tentenchan2525/status/1765047398085370277

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm reasonably confident there will be more seasons to the anime, or at least they are leaving open the possibility of more. They are introducing characters that aren't necessary for these two cours but who come up in later stuff like Rikuson

They seem to closely stick to the manga adaption, which I believe is currently somewhere mid volume 4. So even if it gets more seasons I'd expect it to at least slow down around then.

Switching to LN at any point should be easy though, as both manga and anime are very thorough adaptions that don't leave out anything relevant (and actually are worth it even if you start out with the LN as it tends to be somewhat sparse when it comes to describing environments - seeing the setting properly visualized adds a lot to the atmosphere).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its so good.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Oh no how did Wan Wan get roped into this

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I see that it did end up being Xiangqi.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Her going well overboard to put one over her father and I am all there for the pettiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
I did like the bit at the end from Lakan's POV, showing that the only person he currently sees as a person is Maomao. Explains his focus on her, and it looks like we're getting into his whole deal next episode, I'm looking forward to the.