Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

That was overall neat, Her father is also autistic as all hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

disposablewords posted:

I think he really does intentionally present things so as to make Jinshi think he was referring to rape when he first brings up lowering a courtesan's price. Mostly because, when he even cares about how his actions are being received, he seems to like just loving with people and putting them off. We know Jinshi's a person of consequence, so for Lakan it's a power move to screw with him. And for fun, because he can get away with doing it just as easily as screwing with a commoner. Plus, it's probably to his advantage to seem just that ruthless. But then he's still vulnerable, he still has people he cares about and loves, he's just... really bad at it. Terrible, really.

He's an awful person but definitely an interesting character.

I always thought he did that more because he sees what happened as his fault anyway. He may not have meant to get maomao's mother pregnant, nor to neglect her afterward. But by failing to understand her intentions and disappearing for three years, he undoubtedly ruined her life.

Courtesans are revered, but their position is fragile. Fengxian clearly went out on a limb there to end up with the person she actually wanted to end up with. It was stupid of her to not communicate what she wanted clearly, just like it was stupid of lakan to not read the obvious hints. But that's in line with both of their characters as awkward, closed-off people.

Lakan would not be interested in the excuse that she didn't make her intentions clear; he was the person with more power to make something happen. He blames himself. So it's not really that surprising that he characterized it in a way that made him look villainous.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

sharkmafia posted:

I always thought he did that more because he sees what happened as his fault anyway. He may not have meant to get maomao's mother pregnant, nor to neglect her afterward. But by failing to understand her intentions and disappearing for three years, he undoubtedly ruined her life.

Courtesans are revered, but their position is fragile. Fengxian clearly went out on a limb there to end up with the person she actually wanted to end up with. It was stupid of her to not communicate what she wanted clearly, just like it was stupid of lakan to not read the obvious hints. But that's in line with both of their characters as awkward, closed-off people.

Lakan would not be interested in the excuse that she didn't make her intentions clear; he was the person with more power to make something happen. He blames himself. So it's not really that surprising that he characterized it in a way that made him look villainous.

Correct, if he had seen what she meant, he could have bought her on the way out of town and taken her with him on campaign, nobody would have batted a drat eye at it

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

AtomikKrab posted:

Correct, if he had seen what she meant, he could have bought her on the way out of town and taken her with him on campaign, nobody would have batted a drat eye at it

Well, except he explicitly couldn't afford her, and claiming she was pregnant way before she showed would be seen as a naked attempt to mess with her price. And then he'd be gone by the time she did show and not yet powerful enough in his family or the army to make the necessary arrangements, as well as anticipating being back soon anyway.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

disposablewords posted:

Well, except he explicitly couldn't afford her, and claiming she was pregnant way before she showed would be seen as a naked attempt to mess with her price. And then he'd be gone by the time she did show and not yet powerful enough in his family or the army to make the necessary arrangements, as well as anticipating being back soon anyway.

No, he got that letter from her about the deal falling through, she was three months pregnant at that moment, he could have come right then as he was getting shoved along since her price was lowered, and frankly Granny was probably in on it, she would have figured out a way.

Double checked, it was at "about that same time she told me the agreement fell through, I wrote back that I would return in six months." Frankly she probably thought with that that he had gotten it and was going to come grab her and the baby at the same time so she didn't feel any need to spell things out further.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
congratulations to elephants and horses, the two instances where both lakan and the guy from odd taxi have overlapping face blindness possibilities

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

AtomikKrab posted:

Frankly she probably thought with that that he had gotten it and was going to come grab her and the baby at the same time so she didn't feel any need to spell things out further.

Oh my God you're probably right. That's why everyone thinks he's a piece of poo poo: they think he understood and purposefully abandoned them.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Tree Goat posted:

congratulations to elephants and horses, the two instances where both lakan and the guy from odd taxi have overlapping face blindness possibilities

Like Odd Taxi, one of the last scenes will be Lakan booking it to figure out whether he actually had his own chess set or something far worse at home

overeager overeater fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 21, 2024

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

overeager overeater posted:

Like Odd Taxi, one of the last scenes will be Lakan booking it to figure out whether he actually had his own chess set or something far worse at home

his home has a giant chess set

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
TOHO's just confirmed another cour in 2025. :lovebird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVIS9VZBExo

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

Doodles posted:

TOHO's just confirmed another cour in 2025. :lovebird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVIS9VZBExo

The final episode revealed there'd be another season, but not when.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If they continue the same 1 vol = 1 cour, I expect season 2 to be a 2 cour affair that covers LN Vols 3 and 4. Vol 4 has another good stopping point.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat
Now I wonder if Mei Mei and the other princesses did a dance for Mao Mao when Jinshi bought her.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, this episode reminded me I was super confused about something last episode: Maomao isn't missing a finger, so where did that baby finger come from?

EDIT: Shouldn't have posted mid-episode

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 23, 2024

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

EDIT: haha posting while someone else is editing their thing, revealing I'm behind on the show too

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Sindai posted:

Wait, this episode reminded me I was super confused about something last episode: Maomao isn't missing a finger, so where did that baby finger come from?

tbf i was also wondering about that

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
Started watching this around episode 9 of the season after asking goons for recommendations on what anime people were enjoying this season. Was initially a bit apprehensive due to the main character being abducted and sold in episode 1 and recurring topic of brothels, but kept watching and having just finished the finale I can say I thoroughly enjoyed the season. I quite enjoy how the show continually sets up and answers mysteries, many of them relatively small and interpersonal in nature, rather than going for some sort of JJ Abrams big mystery box plot. The show actually gives you satisfying answers to things instead of dragging you along forever, and lets you get to know the characters in a satisfying way over time. Glad to hear a season 2 is announced, I'm looking forward to it. The first OP is also a real jam.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Satisfying end to the season, sad that we'll have to wait for 2025 for it to be continued!

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I am definitely here for another season of Catcat's exciting drug adventures!

Maybe next time she'll get that Bezoar she always wanted!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

little cat :colbert:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

My parents who don't like anime at all, have been blasting through The Apothecary Diaries. 10 episodes in 2 days.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Sindai posted:

She mentioned it ages ago, in one of the first episodes. Like lizards, if you do it at a young enough age, tips of fingers can grow back.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that is an interesting fact that weirds me out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, that is an interesting fact that weirds me out.

This grotesque fact brought to you by autism!

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
finished up the show. good stuff. am i incorrect that some of the parental relationships in this are much less obvious in non-anime formats? because it kinda felt like at least two connections that are treated as ambiguous were actually really loudly signaled

relatedly, i'm probably going to go with the light novels to continue, since i've got a handful of jnc coins burning a hole in the large sleeves of my hanfu. but how good is the manga comparatively? i'm willing to go visual first for extremely good faces or impressive large panel spreads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

this allusion meant posted:

finished up the show. good stuff. am i incorrect that some of the parental relationships in this are much less obvious in non-anime formats? because it kinda felt like at least two connections that are treated as ambiguous were actually really loudly signaled

I'm assuming you mean Ah-Duo and Jinshi, and Maomao and Lakan? At least for the former, the immediately visible resemblance does give things away faster in anime and manga both, but not that much sooner than in the LN. It's not really meant to be a secret from the viewer/reader. It's pretty classic dramatic irony, at least to my understanding of the term - we know stuff that many characters don't and it casts a different light on everything they do.