Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

well i absolutely adore this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
:catdrugs:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Love this autistic cat(cat).

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's a lot of good Maomao

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This adaptation is shaping up to be really good. Lots of little comedy bits and uses of SD animation. Aoi Yuki doing her gremlinest not unlike a certain spider she also played as. Jinshi's VA also doing good work reminiscent of Aqua from Oshi no Ko but more of a tease.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The biggest surprise was Kuno Misaki doing a normal voice for once.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

So many good reaction shots and gif-able moments! I loved it.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Excellent Maomao

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

as much as I love Aoi Yuki, I don't think her voice really fits.

Jinshi's is perfect though

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

lol, that little laugh

I do like how they make the ground sparkle when Mao sees herbs hiding in the grass like some mmo gathering spot

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 22, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
OP: Hana ni Natte by Ryokuoushoku Shakai
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9JZB08qy44

ED: Aikotoba by AiNA THE END (who also did the ED on Gundam: Witch of Mercury)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PojnddmnjNs

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Poison gremlin is great.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I had this series in my sight for a while, but decided to wait for anime.

Mao Mao is incredibly fun protagonist. Apothecat extraordinaire. :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

(vague manga/ln stuff) loling at the OP, what, is sexy OP Maomao supposed to be her in Jinshi Vision

or it could be her mom I guess

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Rody One Half posted:

manga spoiler welts on the arm, it's Maomao

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I like the side characters as well. Really enjoyed the head lady-in-waiting helping Mao Mao to screw over the kidnappers. :3:

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Lt. Lizard posted:

I like the side characters as well. Really enjoyed the head lady-in-waiting helping Mao Mao to screw over the kidnappers. :3:

same. i'm glad fuyou got her own insert song; she deserved it

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rody One Half posted:

(vague manga/ln stuff) loling at the OP, what, is sexy OP Maomao supposed to be her in Jinshi Vision

Direct manga stuff:

It's the scene where she dances to send off her mother:

Same outfit and everything.

Plus, y'know, ultimately this is a romance story, and it does trade in stock romance tropes. "The mousy nerd is actually a bombshell in disguise" included.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Direct manga stuff:

It's the scene where she dances to send off her mother:

Same outfit and everything.

Plus, y'know, ultimately this is a romance story, and it does trade in stock romance tropes. "The mousy nerd is actually a bombshell in disguise" included.

Oh for sure Maomao is cute, I just forgot this particular sequence happened vs her usual wish to just be the drug goblin

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Big disagree about MaoMao being bombshell, she's cute and quite pretty but there are consistently other women in the series who are more glamorous and bombshell than her and they don't hide that.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 23, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maomao is pretty enough for it to be actively hazardous to her wellbeing.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Compendium posted:

Big disagree about MaoMao being bombshell, she's cute and quite pretty but there are consistently other women in the series who are more glamorous and bombshell than her and they don't hide that.

She did make sure to call herself flat after all

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

yea, sure, she's pretty and no one would call her ugly.

But when she's surrounded by hundreds of others where their job is to look pretty and graceful, and actively used their whole lives and time on it, on both sides, in the rear palace, and her interactions with the courtesans. She's on the bottom of the rankings, no shade on her.

She didn't even get kidnapped for being particularly pretty. She was just there at the wrong time and was easy pickings.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GateOfD posted:

She didn't even get kidnapped for being particularly pretty. She was just there at the wrong time and was easy pickings.

I mean while technically true, she actively tries to not look attractive rather than just not putting in effort

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Compendium posted:

While how attractive she is, is up to one's own opinion, nonetheless the story plays this trope straight.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Let's give the kidnapper's some credit and assume they can accurately assess their targets without going through a glow up montage

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Bonus animation: Maomao and Jinshi discuss the side effects of chocolate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs1pilVwhaI

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

GloomMouse posted:

Let's give the kidnapper's some credit and assume they can accurately assess their targets without going through a glow up montage

I mean their assessment of her was probably "this idiot girl goes off to the middle of nowhere alone all the time, what an easy target" more than anything else. Like if they though they was attractive enough, she probably would have ended up at a brothel instead of the rear palace.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, they sold her as a menial laundry servant precisely because they saw no other value in her. As mentioned, servants who can read get paid more too, so if they knew anything about her at all that's just free money for them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah her kidnappers clearly knew nothing about her as a literate, trained apothecary goes for way more than a random peasant girl, which is what they sold her as.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Plus, y'know, ultimately this is a romance story, and it does trade in stock romance tropes. "The mousy nerd is actually a bombshell in disguise" included.[/spoiler]

Its more she is not attractive by historical standards but super cute by modern standards.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I meant that they could spot she wasn't homely, obviously they didn't know anything about her literacy. Granny wants to make her into a courtesan, so clearly she's got something in the looks department. I'll chalk it up to the show being unable to draw anyone as less than cute

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GloomMouse posted:

Granny wants to make her into a courtesan, so clearly she's got something in the looks department.

I suspect that Granny was more interested in signing her on exclusively because her medical/cosmetic skills are super useful in keeping the other courtesans healthy and happy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
granny's 100% a pimp, and not in a good way.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

granny's 100% a pimp, and not in a good way.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I suspect that Granny was more interested in signing her on exclusively because her medical/cosmetic skills are super useful in keeping the other courtesans healthy and happy.

This will get elaborated on in the series, but suffice to say, Mao Mao already worked for the brothel in a medical capacity (which is partially how the courtesans there were already so familiar with her) before being shanghai'd to the palace. The Granny was 100% propositioning her to offer "night" services.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I'd love to elaborate more on a lot of this stuff, but then everything would be in spoiler tags and I don't remember exactly when everything happened in the early parts because it's been years since i read vol1. Speaking of which, this series is on catchup on j-novel club if you wanted to binge the entire series in the next....week.

That being said

Xelkelvos posted:

(which is partially how the courtesans there were already so familiar with her)
I'm pretty sure this part is technically not true and is explained somewhat early on. It doesn't change much as far what the pimp granny is actually asking for.

tldr

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

granny's 100% a pimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Tbf, at her level, she will be spending her time doing the same stuff as a lady in waiting, but for the real courtesans. She won’t be good enough to entertain people personally for a while given she doesn’t really have any other talents other than medicine. Can’t play board games, dance or play music.