Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This is some good anime. Drug Goblin indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

me and the wife rewatched it in all the english episodes out, Drug goblin gonna Drug goblin.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

I wouldn't dare to touch another man's frog.

My four large frogs are very upset by this I will have you know.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I've never met anyone with four frogs. And I wouldn't touch them either if I did.

This is probably the best for the health and wellbeing of both you, and the frogs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

She utterly destroyed him with those words

Just ripped the soul out of his body.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Those of you who haven't read the manga/LN. Who do you think the monecle'd man is who shows up in the OP and a few times this episode?

A Nerd.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

It was a frog

A very big frog, must be a healthy one.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

YES bread posted:

I don't think this is really true. she's thinking about what a hottie he his, how much of a shame it is he's a eunuch, and fantasizing about him getting felt up by faceless dudes like, all the time. she's disinterested in pursuing a relationship obviously but otherwise shes kind of obsessed with him

I feel this is a more accurate portrait. She is deliberately stopping herself from developing an interest in him for several reasons, 1: power imbalance in that he is a high ranking official/she a commoner. 2: He is at least as far as she knows, an Eunuch and thus well... no action there which I guess is a deal breaker for her. 3: Other women would murder her if she got into any form a relationship with him because he is in fact... THAT hot.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I fell asleep the first few times I tried to watch the last two episodes. Finally managed to stay awake past the first moments of Jinshi's little excursion prep.

gently caress drat that's some good plot.

Also Maomao having memories going back that young, thats a little... off putting

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

I assumed it wasn’t an actual memory so much as her imagination’s reconstruction of what happened.

Possibly, depending on what she was told about things, I think some people's can go back further and trauma can etch itself deep.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

It's possible to have scattered, fuzzy memories that far back, but it's extremely rare because your brain isn't set up to record experiential memories yet. I mean would you want to remember being completely helpless with no bladder or bowel control? Trapped in a body growing more complex by the day that actively resists your attempts at control? It's some horror scenario poo poo, being a baby.

I personally have some scattered memories going back that far, I wouldn't say out of the womb but within about being a year old, one important one was I pulled the cats tail, and the cat clawed me in the face, I remember that, the elderly dog we had at the time as well before he passed... and the daycares I was in. To this day I have a fond if fuzzy memory of eating chicken and dumplings while holding a sippy cup of milk, its surreal to be honest. And I know the more or less timeline of each daycare I was in since my mother kept records

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Also reflect on the previous episodes early on about how women would mess with their value to escape situations they did not like or to get with someone they did.

It is just in this case... something went wrong with the ploy maybe?

Plan: Lower Value
Buy out
Happy Marriage

Actual: Lower Value
poo poo went wrong
She was reduced to low level clients and got an STD -> went nuts from the STD -> gets stabby

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

If you'd like, here's how that scene was rendered in the LN

See this makes it a lot less creepy sounding, especially given the prior bits in the story about concubines and courtseans engaging in ploys to get out of relations they don't want and into relations they do.

Sadly... it went wrong apparently, schemer hosed up his scheme somehow

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Her going well overboard to put one over her father and I am all there for the pettiness

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

So basically, the emperor saying "yeah, those flowers look fine, let's just continue with the schedule." is equivalent to him saying "You have pleased me. You and your servant's lives will be sparred... For now!"
Talk about a toxic work environment. But Maomao should actually like that. :v:

I have no idea what the stakes were, but I assume they weren't quite that high.

Kinda, Kinda not, The Emperor is also bound by various laws and customs, which is why he has to act very very neutral in public as displays of emotion could set off stuff, if you notice when he is sitting in private when maomao let's him in on the secret he is a lot more vibrant and joyful.

As for just killing people... that is something that can happen if there are no connections at all sure, but there are plenty of people the Emperor cannot afford to kill out of hand due to politics. Maomao is certainly one of them as the Emperor is probably read in on who her father is, and he probably can't really afford to kill his like chief strategist or whatever Lakan's position is.

disposablewords posted:

"Lakan will remember this."

and be really smug and rub it in.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

That was overall neat, Her father is also autistic as all hell

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

sharkmafia posted:

I always thought he did that more because he sees what happened as his fault anyway. He may not have meant to get maomao's mother pregnant, nor to neglect her afterward. But by failing to understand her intentions and disappearing for three years, he undoubtedly ruined her life.

Courtesans are revered, but their position is fragile. Fengxian clearly went out on a limb there to end up with the person she actually wanted to end up with. It was stupid of her to not communicate what she wanted clearly, just like it was stupid of lakan to not read the obvious hints. But that's in line with both of their characters as awkward, closed-off people.

Lakan would not be interested in the excuse that she didn't make her intentions clear; he was the person with more power to make something happen. He blames himself. So it's not really that surprising that he characterized it in a way that made him look villainous.

Correct, if he had seen what she meant, he could have bought her on the way out of town and taken her with him on campaign, nobody would have batted a drat eye at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

disposablewords posted:

Well, except he explicitly couldn't afford her, and claiming she was pregnant way before she showed would be seen as a naked attempt to mess with her price. And then he'd be gone by the time she did show and not yet powerful enough in his family or the army to make the necessary arrangements, as well as anticipating being back soon anyway.

No, he got that letter from her about the deal falling through, she was three months pregnant at that moment, he could have come right then as he was getting shoved along since her price was lowered, and frankly Granny was probably in on it, she would have figured out a way.

Double checked, it was at "about that same time she told me the agreement fell through, I wrote back that I would return in six months." Frankly she probably thought with that that he had gotten it and was going to come grab her and the baby at the same time so she didn't feel any need to spell things out further.