Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

Lt. Lizard posted:

I would go as far as to say that outside of her fascination with poisons and drugs, Mao Mao is a pretty smooth operator, who is capable of seamlessly navigate trough highly delicate social situations without ruffling feathers of anyone important and that in a very complex environment of an imperial harem, where she is an outsider. That's pretty much the opposite of being autistic.

imo she is coded somewhat like an adult woman on the spectrum who has figured out how social interaction works in very rigorous and logical terms (as opposed to doing things by real-time observation and neurotypical intuition) out of necessity in a difficult environment. constructing explanations of social situations in terms of motivations that don't rely on fundamental attribution or hand-waving about just-so narrative elements isn't something that comes naturally; it's something some people learn to do because they'll never find the right assumptions or conventions to make their guesses work the easy way. however this doesn't necessarily mean anything, as this will inevitably be the case whenever someone writes introverted, clever people who navigate a situation that is constructed as a mystery or intrigue (i.e. the reader can only be given the bare minimum of information to make the deduction believable) without specifically trying to manage it. virtually all detective characters are "like this" whether the story wants to do anything in particular with it or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
yeah okay there’s different ways to characterize her vibe i guess. it’s not a big part of what i’ve been paying attention to in the story, just something i wanted to note about how people adapt to stuff as they grow up and how it interacts with stories with intellectual precocity

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
maybe they can work on their employment relationship first because they have had some serious miscommunications recently

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
finished up the show. good stuff. am i incorrect that some of the parental relationships in this are much less obvious in non-anime formats? because it kinda felt like at least two connections that are treated as ambiguous were actually really loudly signaled

relatedly, i'm probably going to go with the light novels to continue, since i've got a handful of jnc coins burning a hole in the large sleeves of my hanfu. but how good is the manga comparatively? i'm willing to go visual first for extremely good faces or impressive large panel spreads