Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice

Earwicker posted:

fascism was on the rise and many of the structures already in place well before most americans had any idea what the internet was, let alone the existence of sa etc.

No disagreement here. But before 4chan, white supremacy had a majority recruitment problem - they couldn't publicly say "the thing." The 4chan irony culture made "the thing" publicly palatable while simultaneously providing recruitment fodder. The sudden inrush of voices + the ability for those voices to be public was the last piece of the puzzle, creating connective tissue between disparate fascist elements (tech bros, NEETs, white supremacists, "back the blue", Christian fundamentalists, libertarians, ride or die Republicans, etc etc).

My opinion isn't so much that 4chan was a major factor - it's that 4chan was a necessary factor.

Not that it's a hill I'd die on. Right or wrong, the fact still remains that we're here and there's just SO MUCH FASCISM going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Something Awful: We grew out of calling people the F word :patriot:

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice
SomethingAwful: the straight line between horny hentai and heil hitler.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Saying Lowtax banning hentai resulted in dominoes that caused the election of Donald Trump/rise of facism anew is kind of like saying that the lumberjack who chopped down the tree that got made into paper that a driving instruction manual was printed on that a driving instructor learned to do their job so they could teach Timothy McVeigh to drive so he could get to the domestic terrorists groups that radicalized him into committing the Oklahoma City bombing is to blame for the bombing. Yes, it is TECHNICALLY true but oh boy is the word TECHNICALLY being stretched to the breaking point here. It's a nice bit of internet nihilism bemusement, but I suspect that a world where Lowtax shut down the forums in 2002 would not have deviated from history all that much.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How dare you, we did horned up Hitler hentai waaaaay before it was cool.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Grammarchist posted:

The random "Plot against Eddie Murphy" carol from last year's Christmas Music Thread.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11GW0UaI4Gici5UqYWkgAUYVuHYjue48J/view?pli=1

holy poo poo this is incredible

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cornwind Evil posted:

Saying Lowtax banning hentai resulted in dominoes that caused the election of Donald Trump/rise of facism anew is kind of like saying that the lumberjack who chopped down the tree that got made into paper that a driving instruction manual was printed on that a driving instructor learned to do their job so they could teach Timothy McVeigh to drive so he could get to the domestic terrorists groups that radicalized him into committing the Oklahoma City bombing is to blame for the bombing. Yes, it is TECHNICALLY true but oh boy is the word TECHNICALLY being stretched to the breaking point here. It's a nice bit of internet nihilism bemusement, but I suspect that a world where Lowtax shut down the forums in 2002 would not have deviated from history all that much.

yea exactly. i understand the idea that online far right culture formed a sort of "connective tissue" between the already existent fascist groups and yes 4chan and the supposedly "ironic" nazis online were certainly one aspect of that, but so were many other online communities like stormfront et al. and others that were under-the-radar networks of cops and prison guards and militias etc. even if somethingawful and consequently 4chan had never existed that "ironic nazi" wedge would've very likely appeared in other online spaces around the same time anyway.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Not gonna lie, I don't even know what qualifies as a great SA thing

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

YeahTubaMike posted:

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

that photoshop of the dog wearing the mailmans shoes lmao they don't even fit

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i love tuis website (:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i didnt know tui had a website!!’

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

YeahTubaMike posted:

I always think of that thread where a goon posted about having a wasp nest or something in their back yard and they escalated an increasingly dumb war against the wasps that got out of hand instead of just doing something normal like spray them with soapy water to instagib them

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

flubber nuts posted:

holy poo poo this is incredible

Those threads convinced me to finally pony up for an account, and even if I could tolerate any other site on the internet I'd still be coming back for them every November. There's always at least a little magic to come out of them.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

Lol the scavenger hunt gave at least 1 goon prodromal schizophrenia, or more commonly "the fyad disease"

is there a link to this somewhere? or was this famous FYAD poster n-wordstomper58

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
lowtax dying

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Can't corner the Dorner

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

is there a link to this somewhere? or was this famous FYAD poster n-wordstomper58

you gotta read the thread, it's a banger, and it is not that guy

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

ELTON JOHN posted:

lowtax dying

unironically it's likely this.

The "big hand" photoshop thread was pretty good, though.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
A goon helped prevent Hilary from getting elected. He didn't have much say in the matter.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Nom Epique

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

so mad about bernie that he toxxed for "TRUMP"s third term smdh

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

so mad about bernie that he toxxed for "TRUMP"s third term smdh

Related:

Canpakes not wearing the hat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Nap Ghost

Putty posted:

Trying to think of something but I can't remember anything after 2013 when I registered. I'm not talking about goon drama/sagas or internal junk, more stuff that became widespread like Groverhaus, Slenderman, All Your Base, etc.

I don't think Lowtax and Shmorky's legacy of being trivia points for "internet people that got vilified/died" YouTube videos really counts. Nobody cares about Doobie's Dog House. There might be something upcoming with Eve Goons or so I've heard.

shut up Putty

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

would you really call this place a "web site"?

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Bad Purchase posted:

would you really call this place a "web site"?

it's on the 'net

lushka16
Apr 8, 2003

Doctor of Love
College Slice
Interwebs

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
We bullied gorgeous George pretty good

Just kidding that guy loving sucks

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
some of the photoshop phridays were pretty good like uhhhh the cereal one with Sophie's Healthy Choice and Cocoa Muffs and the board game one with Holy poo poo! Ninjas!!!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Did the Doom wad of that one guy's bathroom come from SA? I thought that was pretty good

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The epic doobie’s doghouse saga

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Probably Revenge of the Horror of the Curse of Castle Dracula

SonOfGhostDad
Nov 16, 2022
swap.avi

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The last thing I remember much of the forum being united over that was something fun rather than depressing was the Doobie's Dog House saga.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

bossy lady posted:

Not becoming a lovely hellscape website designed to enrage and confuse you in order to keep you engaged.
This is IMO an extremely underrated thing about these forums. There’s this undercurrent of being one of the last surviving small band of survivors making light of life after the end of the world surrounded by the wasteland of the modern internet. Station eleven vibes

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Can I borrow two dollars?

What for?

The circus is in town.

It is?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The great Reddit pedo purge of ‘12 was the last time SA really made the news until Lowtax an heroed nearly ten years later.

Just the fact SA is by far the least enshittified site now compared to literally every other social media platform should be an accomplishment in and of itself. It’s remarkable to witness the rapid decay of Twitter and Reddit just over the last few years.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cosmik Debris posted:

We bullied gorgeous George pretty good

Just kidding that guy loving sucks

That Nick guy too, with the manicured facial hair and the “personal chef” that makes him microwaved macaroni and cheese.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Chocobo posted:

A goon helped prevent Hilary from getting elected. He didn't have much say in the matter.

Correct, it was not Vilerat’s fault.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Goatse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe