Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

The fart hole from gooncamp 2019 is rarely mentioned but easily one of my favs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Before groverhaus blew up on the wider internet, somehow the biggest thing from SA for a while was the Danganronpa 2 LP I think. I didn't read it but a ton of my friends in high school did when some person mirrored it to get around the paywall.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

emSparkly posted:

Before groverhaus blew up on the wider internet, somehow the biggest thing from SA for a while was the Danganronpa 2 LP I think. I didn't read it but a ton of my friends in high school did when some person mirrored it to get around the paywall.

It was quite a moment when dozens of cheapskate weaboos started complaining loudly about not being able to read an LP because at the time the game was not released in English and the goon LPer translated as he went along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

By popular demand posted:

It was quite a moment when dozens of cheapskate weaboos started complaining loudly about not being able to read an LP because at the time the game was not released in English and the goon LPer translated as he went along.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Oh God these are hilarious. "I just bought an account, what happens now?"

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cosmik Debris posted:

While I'm sure we helped popularize them, I'm not sure Id say one can invent "watch me play this game while I discuss/poo poo-talk it", otherwise I invented lets plays around 1996 or so

SA progenated an "awful" lot of stuff simply by virtue of the fact that until 2003 or whenever digg was founded there really werent that many large general-topic forums other than slashdot and fark which were both news focused.

If you hung around the Internet long enough you'd pretty much end up here. I read the front page for like 3 years before I even realized the forums were a thing and even then I lurked for like a year before signing up.

GameFAQs has message boards and it seemed like a natural internet gathering point. Lot of people found their way there the same as me, as a young kid who just got the internet and was using it to look up walkthroughs. It would seem like the natural place for Let's Play's to develop but wasn't.

Punkinhead posted:

Speaking of LPs I wonder how much boatmurdered influenced the popularity of Dwarf Fortress.

I both began playing DF and found SA entirely because of boatmurdered.

I wonder that too, how much did it influence SA membership too. I found DF through that thread and it was also the reason I forked out :10bux:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Pneub posted:

Didn't someone murder somebody on their homemade submarine or some bullshit?

The goon built the sub, but wasn't in it during the murder. He is regularly mistaken for the murderer on these forums.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

flubber nuts posted:

The fart hole from gooncamp 2019 is rarely mentioned but easily one of my favs

Please tell us the tale of the fart hole.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

Wasn’t the Deez Nutz for President campaign of 2016 inadvertently started by a goon messing with pollsters?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Valko posted:

This was uploaded 27 minutes ago and I've never heard anything about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUTHEX7mR_0

Ok thread question answered, was happy to see this in the sub box today

emSparkly posted:

Unfortunate 2nd (maybe). I remember you could search the usernames people registered for shared accounts to find them talking about their Dangan Ronpa OCs (do not steal)

Putty fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 3, 2023

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

BigBadSteve posted:

The goon built the sub, but wasn't in it during the murder. He is regularly mistaken for the murderer on these forums.
My general understanding is that the goon and the murderer were both part of the Copenhagen Suborbitals crowd who built the sub. The murderer and the rest of the group had a falling out, and they let him have the sub to make him gently caress off. Then some time later he did the murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

emSparkly posted:

danganronpa being the final straw to make me reg could have happened, but no one can prove it :c00lbert:

funny enough I think I actually only found out about danganronpa through retsupruae anyway