Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Is it gonna be a free thing, or do I have to rely on private insurance to get it?

The free COVID vaccines mandate ended but at many pharmacies they're still free until the remaining money from the mandate dries up. After that they're around $190 a pop but insurance will probably cover it if you have insurance.

E: this is in the US obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'll get both at the same time and you cannot stop me op

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
🅱️ivalent 🅱️ is also giving out another 4 Covid tests per household so don’t forget to order yours today.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
still havent gotten the Vid even after going overseas on trips and staying in bed and breakfasts and going to packed concerts and being in bars and never using a mask since i got my triple/quad booster etc etc

should i start selling my blood or what

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I got a 🅱️ivalent 🅱️ooster in February with a flu shot and I was fine

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Seth Pecksniff posted:

YEAH!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

The free COVID vaccines mandate ended but at many pharmacies they're still free until the remaining money from the mandate dries up. After that they're around $190 a pop but insurance will probably cover it if you have insurance.

E: this is in the US obviously

Yeah pretty much all insurances have been covering the new COVID shots. The very few copays we've seen have been around $50 for Pfizer, but those were edge cases. Out-of-pocket, this year's flu shot has been around $100, but again, pretty much all insurances cover it. Some are picky and want you to go to specific places, or at your doctor's office, but you should be ok going pretty much wherever.

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Most of our customers have! One in each arm, so it's easier to tell which gives you side-effects (if any). Or go for the hat trick and get a shingrix or RSV shot too!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Moai Ou posted:

Yeah pretty much all insurances have been covering the new COVID shots. The very few copays we've seen have been around $50 for Pfizer, but those were edge cases. Out-of-pocket, this year's flu shot has been around $100, but again, pretty much all insurances cover it. Some are picky and want you to go to specific places, or at your doctor's office, but you should be ok going pretty much wherever.

Most of our customers have! One in each arm, so it's easier to tell which gives you side-effects (if any). Or go for the hat trick and get a shingrix or RSV shot too!

Yeah, why would you get a shot from your actual doctor instead of some rando at the local walgreens.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the 25 year old pharmacist at your local grocery store is much better at giving shots than your family doctor, i guarantee it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

the 25 year old pharmacist at your local grocery store is much better at giving shots than your family doctor, i guarantee it

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
I don't go to the doctor. I survive on bc powders and generic claritin

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

The shots are only $200? Does the Pfizer Board know about this? Vaccines are an inelastic good and we could easily sell them for quadruple that!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Chinatown posted:

still havent gotten the Vid even after going overseas on trips and staying in bed and breakfasts and going to packed concerts and being in bars and never using a mask since i got my triple/quad booster etc etc

should i start selling my blood or what

You very well may have contracted the virus. It is very possible to get it, not show any symptoms, and spread it around. This is another reason to stay up to date on your shots.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

You very well may have contracted the virus. It is very possible to get it, not show any symptoms, and spread it around. This is another reason to stay up to date on your shots.

Nah Im still undefeated bro.

I should get the new boost though.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Getting both tomorrow, maybe one in each arm, going to let my immune system bulk up.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

Nah Im still undefeated bro.

I should get the new boost though.

loving pussy

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Getting both tomorrow, maybe one in each arm, going to let my immune system bulk up.

when i got my flu shot and booster earlier this year I told them left arm, then they gave me a flu shot
that was a problem because I had to go to work that night and covid was going in the right
thankfully the pfizer shot I got didn't totally gently caress me up like moderna, the arm pain and disability was minimal compared to moderna in the same arm

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Thank you OP, I will schedule for this week or the next.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I got my covid shot and then watched Star Trek AND some stupid anime,

Coincidence?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Why stagger them? I get both at the same time

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

feelix posted:

Why stagger them? I get both at the same time

You don't have to. It's fine getting both at once. But because the covid one is arguably more important right now and it often makes people feel pretty bad, some people may want to wait.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

redshirt posted:

Thank you OP, I will schedule for this week or the next.

You're welcome

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

It hasn't been a year since my last one so I don't think I can or should get the new one unless I'm supposed to be.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yeah, why would you get a shot from your actual doctor instead of some rando at the local walgreens.

At least in my city the people giving the vaccines at pharmacies are contracted RNs picking up some extra low-stress income. There's one lady who everyone calls Judy the Queen who just travels around giving vaccines at all the different pharmacies and she's so practiced you don't even feel the needle.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Grey Cat posted:

It hasn't been a year since my last one so I don't think I can or should get the new one unless I'm supposed to be.

Everyone is supposed to get this one they dropped the waiting period between your last booster and this one (or reduced it to 3 months, I forget) because this isn't a booster it's an updated full vaccine against the new strains that are spreading

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Everyone is supposed to get this one they dropped the waiting period between your last booster and this one, because this isn't a booster it's an updated full vaccine against the new strains that are spreading

Ohhh ok, thanks.
I'll make sure I get an appointment soon.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

Its only been two years since the first booster. No one really knows if it is useless or not

At least in my city the people giving the vaccines at pharmacies are contracted RNs picking up some extra low-stress income. There's one lady who everyone calls Judy the Queen who just travels around giving vaccines at all the different pharmacies and she's so practiced you don't even feel the needle.

this is why I hate playing devils advocate. I had the same poo poo happen

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I should get a free soup when I fill in my vax card.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

this is why I hate playing devils advocate. I had the same poo poo happen

someone said in the covid thread the other day, do you want your doctor who gives 0 injections a day vs. a pharmacist who mostly gives shots all day

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Its only been two years since the first booster. No one really knows if it is useless or not

I got one of the updated boosters early this year, for omicron I think it was. I've had 4 total shots. 2 for the first round and 2 boosters.

Would rather not get covid again, still have long term issues since wave 1.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

MrQwerty posted:

someone said in the covid thread the other day, do you want your doctor who gives 0 injections a day vs. a pharmacist who mostly gives shots all day

I honestly don't care.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I do not read the covid threads because I am a normal person.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
was gonna get it but now i just wanna spite some rando goon

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I loving love getting vaccines because it gives you an excuse to lay around being unproductive for a few days and no one can give you poo poo for it you can just tell them you're feeling dizzy or something

The new covid vaccine did give me vertigo for a few days, though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Everyone is supposed to get this one they dropped the waiting period between your last booster and this one (or reduced it to 3 months, I forget) because this isn't a booster it's an updated full vaccine against the new strains that are spreading

the updated vaccine was based on xbb1.5 which was prevalent over the summer, but was only 10% of cases or so last month

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions

pretty much all of the major variants are from the omicron lineage now though, so the new vaccine should at least be better than the original. not sure if it will be any better than the bivalent which already covered omicron.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

the updated vaccine was based on xbb1.5 which was prevalent over the summer, but was only 10% of cases or so last month

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions

pretty much all of the major variants are from the omicron lineage now though, so the new vaccine should at least be better than the original. not sure if it will be any better than the bivalent which already covered omicron.

The new vaccine targets the entire xbb lineage which is roughly 60% of all COVID cases currently, per your link

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

The new vaccine targets the entire xbb lineage which is roughly 60% of all COVID cases currently, per your link

nah, way less than 60% descend from XBB1.5, they have a chart below the table you can look at

e: for example, EG.5, which is currently the largest share, is not a direct descendant of XBB1.5

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I honestly don't care.

I'd rather the person in practice do it tbh, had a lot of bad shots and missed blood draws

Been a few months since I resoldered a 120 pin BGA, HOPE I DON'T gently caress IT UP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7f9xTPI9eo

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 30, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

nah, way less than 60% descend from XBB1.5, they have a chart below the table you can look at

e: for example, EG.5, which is currently the largest share, is not a direct descendant of XBB1.5

This entire portion of the chart on the CDC page you linked is xbb lineage

This isn't even counting the other lineages derived from xbb such as FD, EU, FL, EG, and GE (also indicated by the cdc page you linked)

That same CDC page also shows your example of EG.5 being derived from XBB

This vaccine is targeted at the entire XBB lineage, not 1.5 specifically

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

This entire portion of the chart on the CDC page you linked is xbb lineage

This isn't even counting the other lineages derived from xbb such as FD, EU, FL, EG, and GE (also indicated by the cdc page you linked)

That same CDC page also shows your example of EG.5 being derived from XBB

This vaccine is targeted at the entire XBB lineage, not 1.5 specifically

you're saying XBB, but everything i can find about the updated vaccines says they are monovalent using the XBB1.5 strain specifically, not multiple XBB lineages

how much that matters, who knows