Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

you're saying XBB, but everything i can find about the updated vaccines says they are monovalent using the XBB1.5 strain specifically, not multiple XBB lineages

how much that matters, who knows

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2023/09/426196/new-covid-19-vaccines-it-worth-shot posted:

Jain: COVID-19 continues to evolve by mutation, so the new COVID-19 vaccines are designed to target the XBB family of omicron variants

A newer COVID-19 variant, EG.5 or “Eris,” accounts for nearly 1 in 3 COVID-19 cases in California, among analyzed samples. Will new vaccines work against it?

Jain: Yes, they should stimulate immunity that helps protect against this variant. Eris is just a name that’s been used by some people, but it is really referred to in general as EG.5. Eris is part of the larger omicron family of variants and, within that, is closely related to the XBB sub-lineage. The new COVID-19 vaccines are directed against a member of this family, XBB1.5. EG.5 only differs from XBB1.5 by one mutation, so the new vaccines should help protect against the EG.5 variant.

Protecting against XBB1.5 protects against the entire lineage of XBB because that's how these things work. All members of the XBB family are nearly identical, protecting against one protects against all.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ that is exactly what i originally said

they're all omicron lineage, but the hot ones right now are not specifically offshoots of what's in the monovalent.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The point I was contending with was when you implied that the vaccine ONLY protects specifically against XBB 1.5 because that's what it was based on, which is factually untrue, and the implication you made that the new vaccine will not protect against EG.5 because it is not XBB1.5, which is also factually untrue. This is misinformation and dangerous to spread about a topic this serious, so maybe don't do that. I don't know if you picked it up from some covert antivax social media posts or something but it's wrong.

e: I take this poo poo seriously because COVID gave me cognitive problems, epilepsy, and trouble breathing and I'm all still dealing with this poo poo 9 months later, I don't gently caress around with my COVID knowledge :hellyeah: And no one should gently caress around with COVID.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 30, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no clue what you're talking about, i didn't say or imply anything of the sort

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
lmao it only took 3 pages for this thread to go full retard slapfight

:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

sadly there's no vaccine that can prevent posting

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Im gona go ahead and trust my own immune system thats had millions of years to do its thing rather than some barely century old monkey science

Pff
Aug 17, 2012
All I know is if someone wants to put drugs in my body for free, I'm up for it.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
One time I asked the girl who was giving me a covid shot if I could get some blow too and she sighed while she threw my sharp in the disposal

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Heh I trust my immune system

*Immediately dies*

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I'm alive tho

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Bad Purchase posted:

sadly there's no vaccine that can prevent posting

Lol

I'm getting my two shots on Monday

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

quote:

Based on the information provided, we don’t have any available appointments within 25 miles of your location.

You can try a different location or check back soon! Appointment availability is updated frequently and new appointments are added daily.

I basically never leave home and my kids go out into Virus Land every day and bring me home Whatever anyway. I might be able to get a shot in November from the looks of it :allears:

I spent last week sick, peaking at 104. Not covid, not rsv, not flu. Was told by PCP that this is a normal manifestation of something going around rn; overall I had a fever for five straight days. Cooool.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MrQwerty posted:

One time I asked the girl who was giving me a covid shot if I could get some blow too and she sighed while she threw my sharp in the disposal

one of my friends asked the tech "so how long until I notice the autism?" and she shot daggers with her eyes at him

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
i hope i get the good autism and not more of the bad autism that i already have

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I hope this one works with Android on AT&T. I got the bivalent booster and I found out that Moderna that one only worked with Android and IOS on Verizon. Licked a doorknob to put my microchips into pairing mode and my SSN didn't show up under pairable devices so I could check my protection status.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
The NHS is telling me to get them at the same time. Are you smarter than Rishi Sunak, OP? I doubt it.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Mr.Acula posted:

Im gona go ahead and trust my own immune system thats had millions of years to do its thing rather than some barely century old monkey science

how the hell are you millions of years old

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

This vaccine is targeted at the entire XBB lineage, not 1.5 specifically

The 2023-2024 formulation of the mRNA vaccines encode the spike protein from XBB1.5.
https://www.fda.gov/media/167209/download?attachment
https://www.fda.gov/media/167212/download?attachment

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If you're under the age of 45 you can get a gardasil vaccine too

turbo olds need not apply (dick already cauliflowered with warts)

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Woodsy Owl posted:

The 2023-2024 formulation of the mRNA vaccines encode the spike protein from XBB1.5.
https://www.fda.gov/media/167209/download?attachment
https://www.fda.gov/media/167212/download?attachment

This is true, though it happens to still be effective against the other variants.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/2023/what-to-know-about-the-updated-covid-19-vaccine-for-fall/winter-2023

quote:

What do we know about how well the updated vaccine works against the variants currently circulating?

Overall, studies show that the updated vaccine is effective against the variants currently causing the majority of COVID cases in the U.S.: EG.5, FL.1.5.1, and others in the XBB family.

All viruses mutate, so while none of the variants circulating right now are exact matches to the vaccine, they’re all closely related to the XBB.1.5 strain it’s based on. Studies have shown that antibodies generated to the XBB.1.5 variant cross-react well with the EG.5 variant. The same is true for the FL.1.5.1 variant, which has been increasing in prevalence since mid-summer.

What about the vaccine’s effectiveness against the highly mutated BA.2.86 variant?

Laboratory data suggest that the updated vaccines will generate an immune response that recognizes the BA.2.86 variant. This is especially good news after the initial concern surrounding the variant’s high number of mutations. Additionally, BA.2.86 has not caused a surge of cases in the countries where it’s been detected; it appears unable to compete with the other variants currently circulating.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I tried to get the vaccine a while back but it was an awkward period where they didn't have the new vaccine and ran out of the old one so basically I picked the worst time possible. I did get a flu shot though.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Delta Sqad is pro booster

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Did not get a covid booster because of time restraints and went on a cruise right when the vid started popping off.

An old lady literally hacked on me on the ship. I yelled on her. Her husband yelled at me. I yelled at him. We both shared a frank exchange of views and that was that.

Afterwards, I spent the day in spain wondering why tapas didn't taste like anything. Anyways, I lost my sense of taste and smell for about 3 weeks and was super sick. I am very slowly getting it back but not sure I'll be 100 percent in either after all is said and done.

Get the booster. You might regret not getting it.

Idiot facebook is correct in that is very much like the flu in that you might die and at points you'll wish you were dead. If this sounds great to you, don't get the booster.

This has been TLK's healthcare minute. Thanks for your time.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Can they put the needle directly into the center of my butthole and fill up my lower colon like I'm boofing? Otherwise I don't want it

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

im sure if you slip em a cool jefferson

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017
I thought covid didn't get renewed for another season

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

b mad at me posted:

I thought covid didn't get renewed for another season

you're misinformed and it still sucks but people keep tuning in for some reason

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s pretty impressive how quickly the world forgot about covid. Literally no one even in a major metropolis in the US wears masks anymore and no one I know is taking the new vaccine. This poo poo should just be mandatory.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Vegetable posted:

It’s pretty impressive how quickly the world forgot about covid. Literally no one even in a major metropolis in the US wears masks anymore and no one I know is taking the new vaccine. This poo poo should just be mandatory.

Hard agree, but what are you gonna do

People are the loving worst (including me to a moderate to big extent)

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

The Loin King posted:

People are the loving worst

I should have this as a tattoo, but I'd have to go to some jackoff tattoo person

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Vegetable posted:

lol No dude

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Ok so what

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If you're young you shouldn't be on this site or if you're Genesplicer you can get a RSV vaccine they have that now too

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Private Cumshoe posted:

If you're young you shouldn't be on this site or if you're Genesplicer you can get a RSV vaccine they have that now too

What if youre in the middle of those ages tho

I forget what they call that. Don't chime in.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
If you're pregnant you should get it too, but they shouldn't be on this site either it can't be good for baby

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mr.Acula posted:

IMO, you should apply this same logic to water. Humans and their ancestors survived for millions of years without all this 'filtering' and 'boiling' garbage. Get the raw stuff, straight from the nearest lake.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

yeah this guy :gary:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

IMO, you should apply this same logic to water. Humans and their ancestors survived for millions of years without all this 'filtering' and 'boiling' garbage. Get the raw stuff, straight from the nearest lake.

drink the stillest water you can find, don't trust water that can't stay in one place I'm a homeopath trust me on this stuff I know all about water movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

current covid is a pussy rear end virus. i caught it at the end of august. im an overweight smoker and for a so called respiratory disease it was pathetic. i didn't even stop smoking weed while i had it. gently caress you covid come at me agan you dumb loser, i'll kick your rear end in round 2 as well.

im still gonna get a booster because im responsible and also i have an 81 year old uncle who is housebound and would probably not kick its rear end