Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bear is fat bear?
This poll is closed.
480 Otis 7 11.48%
409 Beadnose 0 0%
747 26 42.62%
435 Holly 10 16.39%
A New Challenger 18 29.51%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bulletsponge13 posted:

poo poo, that was fairly quick after the indictment.

Time's just acting real weird lately - this case was filed by the NY AG back in September 2022. These things usually take a year to get heard. And since Donnie already lost a bunch of points on the summary judgment request, and it's a bench trial, no sense in delaying things much more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bulletsponge13 posted:

poo poo, that was fairly quick after the indictment.

There is no indictment in this case. Indictments are from criminal charges. This is a civil case against trump, his large adult sons, and his companies.

The hush money case is the criminal indictment in NY with trial currently set in March of next year.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Look I don't believe in gods or anything but if I promise to find a goat or two for my dark master can I get Trump on the witness stand in exchange? The dude is a walking crime elemental. He'll somehow perjure himself three times in two words, tops.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bird food bathtub posted:

Look I don't believe in gods or anything but if I promise to find a goat or two for my dark master can I get Trump on the witness stand in exchange? The dude is a walking crime elemental. He'll somehow perjure himself three times in two words, tops.

There'll be video of him doing something that's criminal in three unique ways and his response will be "Wasn't me"

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
even if he did do all these crimes, people made money off of it, so who can say whether it's bad or not

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1708861593189052628

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Lmao, the ace lawyers that got the judgement against Alex Jones for a bill and a half are now after the muskrat

https://twitter.com/BankstonAtLaw/status/1708859836610290106?t=HZqINREg9bWhZDFGHDUhHw&s=19

GET EM

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
If the last several years are the Years of loving Around, I'm hoping the Years of Finding Out go on for longer than just this one.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The most effective political assassination of the modern world continues to be effective:

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023/09/a887888a706b-update1-japan-govt-plans-to-seek-court-order-to-dissolve-unification-church.html

The "church" that continues to rob people in Japan and South Korea will soon lose all of their church benefits such as tax exemption and other such in Japan while investigations continue.

Gavrilo Princip is rolling in his grave. He toppled 4 empires with a bullet.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

There is no indictment in this case. Indictments are from criminal charges. This is a civil case against trump, his large adult sons, and his companies.

The hush money case is the criminal indictment in NY with trial currently set in March of next year.

My bad. All this poo poo blurs together to me.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

Gavrilo Princip is rolling in his grave. He toppled 4 empires with a bullet.

Toppled 4 empires and helped created Yugoslavia. The weirdest thing about WWI is he is pretty much the only one who sort of got what he wanted (I doubt the suffering of Serbian people through the war was part of his goals).

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

OddObserver posted:

Toppled 4 empires and helped created Yugoslavia. The weirdest thing about WWI is he is pretty much the only one who sort of got what he wanted (I doubt the suffering of Serbian people through the war was part of his goals).

The US won a lot of long term objectives, even if Woodrow Wilson didn't get everything he personally wanted, they just didn't really say them out loud.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1708869578384625774?t=YHvxqEumb2S7AKSZZAAcBg&s=19

Wait, really?

E-
https://twitter.com/JohnFugelsang/status/1708868120318783772?t=qEiVNiHF1Z_kkjudGL6-1Q&s=19

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 2, 2023

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1708885229715255329

:yeshaha:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well poo poo. I promise I'll have some goat vindaloo this weekend at a banging Indian restaurant nearby. Does that count?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's the civil trial in New York where he is accused of fraud or something because he told banks his properties were worth eleventy billion dollars when he wanted to borrow money against them and told the tax man they were only worth $4 when it came time to pay property taxes on them.

Mar A Lago is appraised at something like $20 million. Trump claimed like $300 million or more.

"But wait! All the surrounding beach front properties are much smaller and worth $20 million each or whatever"

When Trump bought there was an attachment to the deed or whatever that says he can't develop or live in the property and this limitation means the property is worth a small fraction as compared to the value if it was able to be developed. This is textbook fraud.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bird food bathtub posted:

Well poo poo. I promise I'll have some goat vindaloo this weekend at a banging Indian restaurant nearby. Does that count?

No because that sounds like a delicious treat not a punishment

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Clifford ftmfw

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

Wait, really?

Apparently there's a box that needs checking (edit: or a motion filed) and a small fee to be paid for NY Civil trials to bring in a jury and neither Donnie's folks nor the NY AG checked said box - so bench trial!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Clifford ftmfw

Don't get your hopes up too high. It's likely a reference to the videotaped depositions. I don't think the lawyers will put him on the stand, as he's apparently done three rounds of this at cameras outside the courtroom:

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1708900800984990059?t=8v0IS4CMT0RiPT44OW9shA&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 2, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's a winning strategy if I've ever seen one

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can’t think of a better advocate for Donald J. Trump

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

facialimpediment posted:

Don't get your hopes up too high. It's likely a reference to the videotaped depositions. I don't think the lawyers will put him on the stand, as he's apparently done three rounds of this at cameras outside the courtroom:

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1708900800984990059?t=8v0IS4CMT0RiPT44OW9shA&s=19
He sounds like a kid who really needs to go take a nap but doesn't want to go nap and is about 3 minutes away from a giant crying tantrum meltdown

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Tiny Timbs posted:

Can’t think of a better advocate for Donald J. Trump

So apparently one of the talking head lawyers basically told the judge "there was no fraud here". A problem with that is that the judge has already ruled that there was fraud here!

So all the lawyer talking heads are like:

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1708907148875268193?t=TRqiVHY3vNb1aK3SJ4qsCw&s=19

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What appellate court decision that “he won unanimously” is he even referring to?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

One of the funnier details in this fraud case is that Trump claimed his penthouse was 2.5x the actual size when valuing it for loan collateral, then argued that square footage measurements are subjective when called out on it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've only run across a few smaller bench trials in my life, and only recall a few big public ones, but don't they tend to go pretty quick?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

What appellate court decision that “he won unanimously” is he even referring to?

That's his trap. The moment you try to verify his claims, he's got you, because he can just overwhelm you with more and more complete bullshit knowing full well that you'll never be able to keep up.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1708862339598959069?t=IKursPRUNqgKNhauiJZYVQ&s=19

:roflolmao:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Blind Rasputin posted:

I had no idea because Judge Engoron (I keep wanting to type Energon) had all of his poo poo recently affirmed by the NY Appeals court. The NY Times cites this:

quote:

Mr. Trump’s best hope to derail the trial was the lawsuit against Justice Engoron, which the former president filed two weeks ago. In it, Mr. Trump’s lawyers argued that Justice Engoron had ignored an earlier appeals court decision in June that raised the prospect that some accusations against the former president might be too old to go to trial.

But the appeals court on Thursday appeared unmoved, and did not address those arguments in its order. It is unclear whether the ruling by a panel of five judges completely shut down Mr. Trump’s lawsuit against Justice Engoron. Although the ruling lifted a stay of the trial, it did not technically dismiss the former president’s claims against the judge.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

That's his trap. The moment you try to verify his claims, he's got you, because he can just overwhelm you with more and more complete bullshit knowing full well that you'll never be able to keep up.

This is the correct interpretation. It's his basic move - his condo is 10k square feet or 30k square feet depending on how he feels in the day and who he's talking to. The appeals court is either unanimously for him or hopelessly corrupt. It's bad faith that just can't be engaged with, the only winning move is not to play.

Also he's always looking to slam the magic I WIN button and if you point out that he just slammed his fist into a giant bowl of poo poo, he will tell you that he won. Can't really beat that level of brain pudding.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 2, 2023

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've only run across a few smaller bench trials in my life, and only recall a few big public ones, but don't they tend to go pretty quick?

well with no jury that means at least 1 day or possibly more are cut off just due to not having to do deliberations and questions

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

In other news:

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1708848172695494736?t=Wd6O7icyY8-JezPoS2sTHQ&s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

That’s what you get for not incorporating the seventh amendment.

MA-Horus posted:

Lmao, the ace lawyers that got the judgement against Alex Jones for a bill and a half are now after the muskrat

https://twitter.com/BankstonAtLaw/status/1708859836610290106?t=HZqINREg9bWhZDFGHDUhHw&s=19

GET EM

Please be better than Lin Wood.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Blind Rasputin posted:

I looked it up earlier. NY has a court system whose labels seem odd. The Supreme Court is one of the trial courts. Then there are five appellate divisions above that, and finally a supreme court called the Court of Appeals. This case has not reached the top.

It did reach the 1st appellate division, though. In that case, the panel found that the there were two potential dates for the statute of limitations - one in 2014 and one in 2016. Since everything attributed to Ivanka was from 2011, she was dropped from the suit. However, the appellate court also discussed the effect two different statutes had (they were both retroactive) and left it to the trial court to determine exactly how the SoL ran past the 2014 and 2016 dates depending on the party charged and the particular offense. A very uninformed reading of the appellate decision says that this cause of action fails because the alleged loans at the basis of the fraud occurred in 2010/2011, but that ignores the continuous and repeat fraud from 2014 on that is well within the scope of the NY statutes.

https://www.nycourts.gov/courts/ad1/calendar/List_Word/2023/06_Jun/27/PDF/People%20of%20NY%20%20v%20%20Trump%20%20(2023-00717).pdf

Remember, anytime that refers to the Supreme Court they're referring to the trial court or the current appellate division.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 2, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

He sounds like a kid who really needs to go take a nap but doesn't want to go nap and is about 3 minutes away from a giant crying tantrum meltdown

babby donnie was hangry

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/1708922607418966430?t=4zyj3w5588XnpURt6yaNoA&s=19

https://youtu.be/NF4azs25kUw?si=zQfEBKP_0i1ktzhg

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jfc that cannot be real

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, your 45th, and quite possibly 47th President of the United States.

:lol:

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
All apart of the plan. "How could the president own a 300 million dollar property when he has to live off McDonalds? Now, I am just a cave man..."

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, your 45th, and quite possibly 47th President of the United States.

:lol:

Hey, he could be the last president of the united states too if he wins

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

MA-Horus posted:

GET EM
I'm eagerly looking forward to this episode of knowledge fight. And or his giant bag of gummy worms.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
there is no drat way that judge allows anyone to eat inside the courtroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ded posted:

there is no drat way that judge allows anyone to eat inside the courtroom

He has a condition!