Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bear is fat bear?
This poll is closed.
480 Otis 7 11.48%
409 Beadnose 0 0%
747 26 42.62%
435 Holly 10 16.39%
A New Challenger 18 29.51%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ded posted:

there is no drat way that judge allows anyone to eat inside the courtroom

If you make reasonable requests for lunch/bathroom break recesses those almost always get granted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

A.o.D. posted:

If you make reasonable requests for lunch/bathroom break recesses those almost always get granted.

sure. outside of the actual courtroom.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

knowing drumpf he will try to chow down on a big mac and fries right there in the courtroom

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
he would probably take a dump in his diap too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The funniest thing is if he tries to bribe the judge with luke warm and half eaten mcdonalds

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

The funniest thing is if he tries to bribe the judge with luke warm and half eaten mcdonalds

imagine being the guy who thinks that serving lukewarm mcdonalds to guests is an acceptable thing to do

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
All outcomes to this are funny.

https://twitter.com/MariannaReports/status/1708983939895791636

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

They're really Whig-ing out right now...

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

bird food bathtub posted:

Well poo poo. I promise I'll have some goat vindaloo this weekend at a banging Indian restaurant nearby. Does that count?

dont make a faustian bargain if you cant live up to the terms, thats how horror movies start.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Steezo posted:

I'm eagerly looking forward to this episode of knowledge fight. And or his giant bag of gummy worms.

mister jones.

mister jones.

mister jones, which question do you think you're answering right now?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonkpargin/status/1708270165320716701?s=46&t=sF0MZupnk1QRJF1EvdoiYA

The next generation of therapists thanks in advance whoever buys one of these things.

Saw that on twitter yesterday and my kids wanted to see what it was. Two year old just asked to watched "the monster with the teeth and the lady with the green smoke" again. Hope that means I'm raising them right.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://twitter.com/jasonkpargin/status/1708270165320716701?s=46&t=sF0MZupnk1QRJF1EvdoiYA

The next generation of therapists thanks in advance whoever buys one of these things.

Hillary looks great.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

-McCarthy gets bounced.
-McCarthy has enough support to make Gaetz look stupid.
-McCarthy finds a way to pull the GOP to a more moderate posture in a deal with the Dems to make Gaetz look stupid and put MAGA on Tea Party Island?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

-McCarthy gets bounced.
-McCarthy has enough support to make Gaetz look stupid.
-McCarthy finds a way to pull the GOP to a more moderate posture in a deal with the Dems to make Gaetz look stupid and put MAGA on Tea Party Island?

Republicans are abject cowards so 2 and 3 don't happen.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

interesting

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Concerning.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Looking into it

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

"Vox populi. See, I'm speaking Latin! I'm edgy...in my own way."

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Vox populi. See, I'm speaking Latin! I'm edgy...in my own way."

"You can tell I am a true man of the people because I refer to them using the language of elites multiple centuries ago".

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
House update! The McCarthy kick-out vote likely happens around 1:30 PM. The current scenarios:

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1709214167767359860?t=0aFCGfzr1xHx9iucp3C8mA&s=19

Democrats are generally pissed about McCarthy trying to blame them for a shutdown on Sunday, plus all the other garbage he did over the past five years, so looking like he's hosed.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1709217983334085011?t=Z0OcVhx6mDNK2rcKN1s0Bg&s=19

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/LACaldwellDC/status/1709227128565195159

Seems there's not gonna be any lifeline from the dems so McCarthy will have to pray that the insanity caucus regains sanity for a moment (lol)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So Dems are twisting the knife in McCarthy for all the hideous poo poo he's done. Good on them for playing hardball. Even if the hardball is still sitting on a batting tee at least they're finally trying and not decorum-ing their way in to reaching across the aisle to help out their poor, misunderstood colleagues. Might as well hang a picture of the "chaos reigns" fox on the front door to the house of representatives and just be done with it. Come back in a week and pick up the pieces after.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

OddObserver posted:

"You can tell I am a true man of the people because I refer to them using the language of elites multiple centuries ago".

The hoi polloi if you will

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

lightpole posted:

The hoi polloi if you will

https://i.imgur.com/1gztAMH.gifv

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

orange juche posted:

knowing drumpf he will try to chow down on a big mac and fries right there in the courtroom

There's lots of reasons to laugh at Trump, but how we handle the law in this country loving sucks and this aint one of them. If a dude wants to have him some chicken nuggies and a coke while flippin through posts on somethingawful instead of paying attention to some rear end in a top hat pontificating about "The law" which lets be honest isn't real loving fair if to get any basically fair representation you have to drop a a bunch of money on some other rich rear end in a top hat to say certain specific magic words, then by god you should be allowed to have your big mac and something awful while the three assholes involved [judge/lawyer/prosecutor] hash poo poo out.

No my opinion of court rooms have nothing to do with the times I've been to traffic court or watched my brother go through veterans court.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 3, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Instead of the burger strategy, Donnie decided to do this instead:

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1709248576696492158?t=iS3SCjOFwvFLtiygz9UvsA&s=19

I hope that clerk has her poo poo on lockdown because she's about to get death threats.

Edit: sourcing is to Facebook modifying a satire site post from 2017

https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1709253249709035701?t=v-wcHXXYGZalan3VeBbgXg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 3, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Let’s all hope Trump is continued to be allowed to threaten court employees without having to face imprisonment for contempt of court like a normal person.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McCarthy vote is up, and he already has 10 republicans against him so he's GONE.

e: I will note, this is merely on the motion to table Gaetz's motion to vacate, but if he had 218, they'd all vote to kill this motion.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 3, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah he has five flamethrower fuckers to begin with and with various absences, he could afford to lose up to seven - and lost 10. probably rip

edit: lol this story

https://twitter.com/josephzeballos/status/1709276655254904972?t=7VnYkxjzEq5q0_7fndgJlw&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 3, 2023

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
For those of us who understand that this is a big deal, not not how it is, can you explain? McCarthy being kicked out opens up that position, right? Can Dems snag it?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Leave posted:

For those of us who understand that this is a big deal, not not how it is, can you explain? McCarthy being kicked out opens up that position, right? Can Dems snag it?

The Dems won't snag anything unless a bunch of GOP to switch sides.

What is more likely is a repeat of when McCarthy was first installed, a bunch of votes failing, then a new "compromise" candidate will emerge. What has people really watching is who that candidate will be, one will appease the current "insurrectionists" in the GOP while the other will get some support from the Dems to make it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Leave posted:

I’m not an expert but it’s a humiliating process as it was a pain for him to get in there in the first place, and even if he gets the role back he has to deal with jerks who know they can force him out whenever they want.

I don’t believe Democrats can get the seat as while on paper I think any human could be elected speaker (doesn’t need to be rep,) doing so would require Republican votes & even if that happened it would be odd & the Republicans would almost certainly replace the person with one of their own as soon as they could, and if a group of GOP reps for some reason kept voting to retain the Democrat they’d almost certainly be party pariahs & top targets for primaries.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Leave posted:

Table motion brings it up for debate. In an hour will be the official "should McCarthy stay or go as Speaker" vote. If that vote is successful and he gets booted, there is no longer a Speaker of the House and everything grinds to a halt. The House can't do actual business without a Speaker, so the next business is voting for a new Speaker.

What happens is an exact re-run of the clusterfuck in January. Here's the recap of that: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/202...0of%20Virginia.

Democrats won't win it because you need a majority, not just a plurality, to be elected Speaker.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jim Jordan is now speaking to defend McCarthy against Gaetz, which is peak leopards eating faces if I've seen it.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

Instead of the burger strategy, Donnie decided to do this instead:

The posting about the clerk earned Donnie a limited gag order:

https://twitter.com/eorden/status/1709284441607008275?t=CQEyoWW_yASVQhEMKzcx8Q&s=19

I have no idea what kind of punishments could come with violating a gag order in a civil case. But we'll see if Donnie decides to find out!

https://themessenger.com/politics/trump-gag-order-new-york-engoron-clerk-truth-social

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 3, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be really funny if they chose DJT as speaker and he lived in the office, subsisting on delivered fast food, so as to be immune from arrest under Article I § 6 of the U.S. constitution.

There are two reasons in the text that that wouldn’t work, but that’s never stopped the Don.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Leave posted:

If there is no speaker of the house, the only thing the house of representatives can vote on is who is going to be the speaker of the house. Remember the 15 round voting cluster gently caress it took to get him in there? It's that, all over again, only worse. In a perfectly spherical universe with no friction it is possible that anyone can be voted speaker of the house. If Air Bud shows up and a majority votes for him to be speaker then we get to find out how a dog votes. In reality any Republican seen working with the Democrats is signing their own political death warrant in the next primary election because they're all bat poo poo coocoo bananas insane, and they have more members of the house so a majority will never vote for a Democrat.

The closest thing that is theoretically possible (and this is so hilariously unlikely it's basically an academic consideration) is a big chunk of the not-quite-as-insane Republicans vote for someone, and then Democrats help them across the finish line in exchange for....favors. Now in normal times these were individuals looking to sweeten a deal for their own district, or asking for a promise to bring up X for a vote, or some other individual consideration, so you end up with a Republican speaker that got a little support on the edges from a few interested Democrats, but they're still a Republican.

We no longer live in normal times.

Democrats as a party have finally started to internalize that Republicans are veering pretty strong in to fascism, would be at the least pretty OK if their political opposition was murdered by another violent insurrection, and are just generally Fox-brain-poisoned assholes that are approaching nothing at all in good faith. With McCarthy specifically they've been sick of his poo poo for a good long while and they've seen how he lied to his own caucus and didn't do half of what he had to promise to do to get the position. Even *IF* he were to decide to commit political suicide by asking for Democrat help, they wouldn't trust a drat thing he says and would basically demand political payment up front and already in the bank for their support.

None of that is likely to happen though, so if Gaetz pulls the trigger and McCarthy gets ousted it's basically "Open the blood gates, chaos reigns" while the entire Republican party knives themselves to death figuring out what the gently caress.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate that you guys answer my questions without making me feel like an idiot. I just wanna smoke weed and play video games, why does politics have to be so scary and confusing