Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which bear is fat bear?
This poll is closed.
480 Otis 7 11.48%
409 Beadnose 0 0%
747 26 42.62%
435 Holly 10 16.39%
A New Challenger 18 29.51%
Total: 61 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

to be fair i would be surprised if a significant proportion of the US population knew what Dagestan is. it doesn't have a whole lot of relevance to people outside of southern Russia, and doesn't even have the name recognition of Chechnya from the war. internal administrative divisions of distant foreign countries aren't really something most people have a need to know

Random jerkoff? No.

Member of the House Intelligence Committee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

to be fair i would be surprised if a significant proportion of the US population knew what Dagestan is. it doesn't have a whole lot of relevance to people outside of southern Russia, and doesn't even have the name recognition of Chechnya from the war. internal administrative divisions of distant foreign countries aren't really something most people have a need to know

Anyone who watches UFC probably knows about it since it’s produced a lot of good fighters to include two dominant champions.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

internal administrative divisions of distant foreign countries aren't really something most people have a need to know

I live in Japan, and one of the first things people ask me when they meet me is where I'm from. I tell them I'm from the US, and they ask what state. I tell them I'm from Nebraska, and they're like "is that close to California, or New York?". I think I've only met one person who knew where it is, and that was a coworker at my last job that for some reason did a student exchange in Nebraska for a month back when he was in high school.

Flikken posted:

I immediately regret what clicking that link will do to my algorthim on YouTube.

Never not open youtube links in a private/incognito window.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is worse than when Gary Johnson did it because Crenshaw went out of his way to let us know he hadn’t heard of the place.

I wonder if we’ll have a repeat of the guy’s fans trying to make it look better by letting us know that they, too, had not heard of it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wonder how much Conor MacGregor paid him to say that

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Flikken posted:

I immediately regret what clicking that link will do to my algorthim on YouTube.

You can just delete it from your youtube watch history.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Not a fan of Crenshaw, and also not a member of the House Intelligence Committee, but if you asked me if Dagestan was a real place or a scene from Borat I don't give myself good odds of answering correctly.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wombot posted:

Not a fan of Crenshaw, and also not a member of the House Intelligence Committee, but if you asked me if Dagestan was a real place or a scene from Borat I don't give myself good odds of answering correctly.

But unlike Crenshaw you understand to be quiet about it and not scream your opinions on dagestan to random streetcorners nor take a job on an intelligence committee

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I might only know of Dagestan because it's where the Boston bombers were from

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But unlike Crenshaw you understand to be quiet about it and not scream your opinions on dagestan to random streetcorners nor take a job on an intelligence committee

Or google it, for gently caress's sake he has staffers he can tell to look it up for him. It's performative ignorance because that's what his constituents like to see.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Wombot posted:

Suicide Watch posted:

I might only know of Dagestan because it's where the Boston bombers were from

funnily-enough, my impression of the US reporting on the identity of the Boston bombers was that news anchors were pronouncing Dagestan like it was a made-up place from Borat

But my list of groups I would bet have heard from Dagestan, in order of group size, is the following:
- MMA fans
- People who know Conor McGregor (because they know he's the "GOAT" and how could he get his rear end beat from a made-up place)
- People who are aware of the Boston bombing

I'll give folks a pass of never having heard of it because it's in the category of "places that have something to do with Russia" that aren't an actual country, like Georgia.

Dan Crenshaw is someone that should at least be aware of all categories of "places that have something to do with Russia", he should drat well have heard of Dagestan, and he can go gently caress himself in general.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

If I were a member of the House Intelligence Committee, I'd certainly know about Dagestan since a terror attack that was carried out on US soil was perpetrated by two people from that region. Marathon bombing

EFB

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you haven't been paying attention to the trial of Sam Bankman-Fried, CEO of failed cryptocurrency exchange FTX, you may be delighted to learn that he took the stand in his own defense and got shredded in cross examination today. A sample:
https://x.com/innercitypress/status/1719058098973737130

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If they give the prosecutor a million dollars to just go after every crypto crank they can, the world will be a better place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Issue letters of marque.

If you seize cryptocurrency or assets used to control cryptocurrency, the prize is yours, subject to the same taxes as gambling winnings.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Platystemon posted:

Issue letters of marque.

If you seize cryptocurrency or assets used to control cryptocurrency, the prize is yours, subject to the same taxes as gambling winnings.

But you only pay taxes based on the value of your winnings, so there would be no tax revenue???

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

A.o.D. posted:

But you only pay taxes based on the value of your winnings, so there would be no tax revenue???

Future headline: IRS accepts payment in Bitcoin!

Future fine print: from privateers, for taxes on captured Bitcoin

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ginger Gooch.

God how you make it through life with the name of a bond girl

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ginger Gooch.

I mean, she did just become a judge, so she must be doing something right.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I imagine it’s similar to some dude named Melvin Dorkler learning how to fight.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ginger Gooch.

Well, it could be her married name.

Do you think she waited to change it, until after she got her first judgeship so she would always be The Honorable Ginger Gooch?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

funnily-enough, my impression of the US reporting on the identity of the Boston bombers was that news anchors were pronouncing Dagestan like it was a made-up place from Borat

But my list of groups I would bet have heard from Dagestan, in order of group size, is the following:
- MMA fans
- People who know Conor McGregor (because they know he's the "GOAT" and how could he get his rear end beat from a made-up place)

I'll give folks a pass of never having heard of it because it's in the category of "places that have something to do with Russia" that aren't an actual country, like Georgia.

Dan Crenshaw is someone that should at least be aware of all categories of "places that have something to do with Russia", he should drat well have heard of Dagestan, and he can go gently caress himself in general.

I know about it due to a cookbook that has a "cooking of the Caucuses" section. And man, food from the Caucuses is so much better than caucasian food.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

"places that have something to do with Russia" that aren't an actual country, like Georgia.

:pwn:

Is this several layers of irony, or do you mean south ossetia?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Xakura posted:

:pwn:

Is this several layers of irony, or do you mean south ossetia?

I originally thought the same thing but upon re-reading I think the comma is erroneous and Georgia is intended to be an example of an actual country.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

It's pretty incredible how much she looks like Anna Gunn

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I knew Dagestan existed from geography in middle school but the only things I know about it came from reading The Sabres of Paradise

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I've got Covid. Again. I had it 3 weeks ago.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

"Judge Gooch?"

"Ok. It's pretty good, I suppose, could use a trim"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A.o.D. posted:

I've got Covid. Again. I had it 3 weeks ago.

I have Covid. Still. It's been three weeks :(

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

James Bond-rear end name

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"A woman of faith" Is always a great sign in a judge.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I have Covid. Still. It's been three weeks :(

I went through the whole protocol. I got sick, isolated, got 2 negatives 48 hours apart and unmasked. Then a few days ago I get a cough I can't shake. I test last night thinking there's no way, but it's positive. I test again this morning and another positive. I'm heading to a clinic to get another test. This is bullshit.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Sorry about the Covid, brothers.

Is it too late to try paxlovid or whatever its called? Or is your poo poo (thankfully) not bad enough for that?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Sorry about the Covid, brothers.

Is it too late to try paxlovid or whatever its called? Or is your poo poo (thankfully) not bad enough for that?

I did paxlovid last time. This time my symptoms are much milder, just a cough and some congestion.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Tired: AI will kill us all

Wired: AI will post a poll to determine how we were all killed

https://twitter.com/alexbruell/status/1719372834290470946?t=r0Zdjiqf8VsaRpnOc-vI3A&s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

A.o.D. posted:

I went through the whole protocol. I got sick, isolated, got 2 negatives 48 hours apart and unmasked. Then a few days ago I get a cough I can't shake. I test last night thinking there's no way, but it's positive. I test again this morning and another positive. I'm heading to a clinic to get another test. This is bullshit.

Vaccine rates this time around are like 7% of eligible adults, due in no small part to how difficult it's been to find the vaccine even with an appointment. I was finally able to book my appointment for Thursday afternoon, but it took a lot of looking around to do so.

Fortunately, it seems like the strain that's going around is mostly chest congestion and fatigue, but I'm really in no hurry to catch it again. Getting it in January knocked me on my rear end for the better part of a week.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Vaccine rates this time around are like 7% of eligible adults, due in no small part to how difficult it's been to find the vaccine even with an appointment. I was finally able to book my appointment for Thursday afternoon, but it took a lot of looking around to do so.

Fortunately, it seems like the strain that's going around is mostly chest congestion and fatigue, but I'm really in no hurry to catch it again. Getting it in January knocked me on my rear end for the better part of a week.

I took the most recent booster in the middle of September. I am not having much luck with this thing right now.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I was supposed to get my booster next week. Pretty sure I had covid last week. My tests were negative but I had the chills and fatigue I seem to only get with covid and not other respiratory infections.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Duzzy Funlop posted:

- MMA fans

I know about Dagestan because of their amazing hat, the papakha which I know about because of MMA and Mr. Nice! in papakha dot jay peg goes here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was supposed to get my booster next week. Pretty sure I had covid last week. My tests were negative but I had the chills and fatigue I seem to only get with covid and not other respiratory infections.

I had something similar in August, felt exactly the same as when I had it summer 2022 and my symptom was fatigue. Then I got it early October and had a lot of symptoms and a near 103 fever. Thankfully I tested negative a couple Fridays back and oh my symtpoms returned that is a positive test again I got rebound COVID. Can't wait to be better and go to the VA and get boosted. Not happy the fed decided lol lmao and won't fund getting shots in arms, though.

Hi five A.o.D. rebound COVID buddy

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 31, 2023