Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
90 loving gb for this i mean what the gently caress

...mk1 is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

no, it's sub zero and everyone knows this hes the COOLEST

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i saw the movie in 1995 and liu kang won, so i think that means he's the best

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

i saw the movie in 1995 and liu kang won, so i think that means he's the best

Did he have 500 dollar sunglasses

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no, that's what really impressive. liu kang didn't even need the stats from expensive gear to win.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
This is kind of neither here nor there but I've always quite liked how Mortal Kombat's mish-mash of martial arts and action movie cliches along with a seemingly large part of the cast being played by filipinos, latinos, italians and such gave the whole game this "ambiguously brown" aesthetic. Like nobody knows or cares where Sub-Zero is supposed to be from, know what I'm saying? I think about the only characters in the first three games you could be sure were white people were Sonya and Stryker. The only races were human, thunder god, four-armed freaks, horse-legged freaks, and big-rear end teeth freaks.

I'm sure this is all mostly a side effect of "they didn't care to get enough Asian people to play what were probably meant to be Asian characters" but the end result was interesting :colbert:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I'm sure this is all mostly a side effect of "they didn't care to get enough Asian people to play what were probably meant to be Asian characters" but the end result was interesting :colbert:

The first Mortal Kombat was made by a very small team at a pinball company, all the martial artists were their friends, and it was initially supposed to be a Bloodsport game until they pitched it to JCVD's agent and he never really responded

I met Ho Sung Pak (Liu Kang) when i was a little kid a year or two before he did the filming for MK cuz he played Donatello in the traveling TMNT show based on the first movie

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 1, 2023

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

This is kind of neither here nor there but I've always quite liked how Mortal Kombat's mish-mash of martial arts and action movie cliches along with a seemingly large part of the cast being played by filipinos, latinos, italians and such gave the whole game this "ambiguously brown" aesthetic. Like nobody knows or cares where Sub-Zero is supposed to be from, know what I'm saying? I think about the only characters in the first three games you could be sure were white people were Sonya and Stryker. The only races were human, thunder god, four-armed freaks, horse-legged freaks, and big-rear end teeth freaks.

I spent the last couple of hours playing the new mk1 and having stryker for a kameo is worthless. Like in real life, the cops literally do not show up. Half the time you get blue and red lights but nothing else.

My mistake is that I bought this game on the PC.

The Loin King fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Oct 1, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
naw

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
MK hasn't seen an arcade using 6 buttons for years now. Or, has it? What is Mk1 new control scheme compared to the rest?

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Zeluth posted:

MK hasn't seen an arcade using 6 buttons for years now. Or, has it? What is Mk1 new control scheme compared to the rest?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uVHsKfEkfI

But my personal feelings for youtube spam aside, the controls are the same as the last one. Not sure I like the changes. Both of us were able to uppercut each other at the same time, which I don't remember happening in previous games.

The Loin King fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Oct 1, 2023

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

jc couldnt even nutpunch ladies

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

or did they fix that

i havent played mk in years

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

he's a gentleman

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

They don't have any nuts to punch tho

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

They don't have any nuts to punch tho

what the gently caress

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

no, that's what really impressive. liu kang didn't even need the stats from expensive gear to win.

Anyone who played Mortal Kombat knows that Goro is a harder boss than Shang Tsung.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Bad Purchase posted:

drat i bet that was cool not getting to gently caress Bridgette Wilson in the 90s

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

They changed the animation so if the opponent doesn't have balls he punches em in the taint instead

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Isn't it Yoda?

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

who

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!
they should have had a pallete swap fighter named nicholas cage

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

like an uppercut to the crotch

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

BasicLich posted:

i would pay any amount of money

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

or did they fix that

i havent played mk in years

You've been able to nut punch the ladies since at least MK9 so over a decade now.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

BasicLich posted:

The life meter just says "Cage" though so they'd have to come up with a different last name.

I was going to offer "Blade" but that happens to be Sonya's last name. Hmm...

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The life meter just says "Cage" though so they'd have to come up with a different last name.

I was going to offer "Blade" but that happens to be Sonya's last name. Hmm...

Box

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

They wrote a whole song about where Sub Zero is from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbHmItRsSw

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

The Loin King posted:

I spent the last couple of hours playing the new mk1 and having stryker for a kameo is worthless. Like in real life, the cops literally do not show up. Half the time you get blue and red lights but nothing else.

My mistake is that I bought this game on the PC.

You picked the cop as a friend lol

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
pshh

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's Stryker

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Yes because he is Not Afraid to Die

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I don't play but basing my knowledge off the old games if you dont play subzero or scorpion you're a nerd.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like when he punched goro in the nuts

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I always thought scorpion was underrated. GET OVER HERE was a common phrase on the playground back in my day.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Chinese Ninja warrior with your heart so cold...

Sub-Zero

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

its the risky blowjob girl

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cumpantry posted:

its the risky blowjob girl

does she have tmj

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I dunno OP but I do know that Kung Lao was the best fighter in Mortal Kombat II.

Also unrelated but I later realized that the ninjas in MKII are definitely wearing paintball masks (without goggles) and baseball catcher leg guards, and the cyberninjas in MK3 are wearing motocross gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Haven't played in a few iterations, is the gameplay still all clunky and stilted? I heard they added a sprint or something?