Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Decided to go give the game a try myself and picked the zombie deck too being a fan of the old zombie cards. And managed to brick on all three copies of call of the mummy two games in a row.

5 packs of LoB for a chance at broken DM stables, and 5 packs of Pharaonic Guardian for the good zombie cards in it and working on making a pacman deck for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Gilgamesh255 posted:

I'm going 5 Invasion of Chaos. Let CHAOS into your heart. Or at least the Chaos Emperor Dragon.

Why yes, I am going CHAOS just for the dragon, why do you ask?

Just as a little note, while he does make a nice trophy alongside our Mirage of Nightmare, he is completely banned. If that's the intent regardless, I respect it.

...I should probably link to the banlist more readily.

Greenking77 posted:

Decided to go give the game a try myself and picked the zombie deck too being a fan of the old zombie cards. And managed to brick on all three copies of call of the mummy two games in a row.

There's a reason I cut our deck down to two copies. Throughout all 6 duels, it never showed up too often, and like only once when it was applicable. Book of Life was just glued to my hand though. :v:

CoM's a card that really only shines after a board wipe or when going second, but the power lies in the fact it doesn't care what level the zombie is.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022

Left 4 Bread posted:

Just as a little note, while he does make a nice trophy alongside our Mirage of Nightmare, he is completely banned. If that's the intent regardless, I respect it.

CoM's a card that really only shines after a board wipe or when going second, but the power lies in the fact it doesn't care what level the zombie is.

Aww I’m guessing BLS is banned to? No chaos deck for us then. Yeah it’s fun slamming down Vampire Lord or Ryu with it. I noticed a lot of cards have different rarities in the packs than they did IRL and it’s throwing me off every once in a while. I thought about going in Invasion of Chaos for Chaos Sorc but they bumped him up to UR from common. Also Tri-horned dragon had the biggest fall from grace, going from Secret Rare to freaking common.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Nice wins!

Voting for:

5 x Invasion of Chaos
5 x Magician's Force

Edit due to below post :)

PotatoManJack fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 13, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Greenking77 posted:

Aww I’m guessing BLS is banned to? No chaos deck for us then. Yeah it’s fun slamming down Vampire Lord or Ryu with it. I noticed a lot of cards have different rarities in the packs than they did IRL and it’s throwing me off every once in a while. I thought about going in Invasion of Chaos for Chaos Sorc but they bumped him up to UR from common. Also Tri-horned dragon had the biggest fall from grace, going from Secret Rare to freaking common.

Yeah, this banlist was made in reaction to Goat era Chaos dominance so the big players got benched completely. BLS Envoy and Emperor Dragon are both banned. A number of rarities are changed as well, although I haven't gone through to check every difference. When in doubt, rely on the Extended Listings for rarity over the Yugipedia link. The Yugipedia link is more for information on big cards and a list that isn't as plain as the one in the testpost links.

I'll readily admit my organization is a little rough so far with this LP, but I'm trying to shape it up. I do apologize for the confusion if there is any, I'm usually better at this. :shobon:

...That said, is there a reason people are only voting for x5 total? You can spend the entire budget, we've got 150% of what we had to use in the first vote. We could get 31 packs of Blue Eyes or Metal Raiders in theory. Or 13 IoC / Ancient Sanctuary.

we can just buy only 5 packs and save up, that is valid too, i just feel like something got lost in translation

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 13, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Still all in on Pharaonic Guardian.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Honestly, I just didn't want to eat up the budget in case people who have higher cognitive thinking than me have better ideas for cards to grab.

Also, I was hoping for a semi-banned Dragon, as in just the one, but if he's completely off the table, then oh well. Having him as part of my Kaiju/Danger! deck in Master Duel was fun.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
That said, I wouldn't mind going all in trying to aim for Brick Blue Eyes, and seeing how you manage to make the gel with your zombies.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Jossar posted:

Still all in on Pharaonic Guardian.

:hai:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Left 4 Bread posted:

We could get 31 packs of Blue Eyes or Metal Raiders in theory.

That.

Metal Raiders.

Let's just get the entire set now and cackle as we hang a Mirror Force over the heads of our adversaries.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
All in on Labyrinth of Nightmare and Legacy of Darkness
The set names just seem to fit with a zombie theme deck.

Kmsorter
Jun 3, 2023

TeeQueue posted:

That.

Metal Raiders.

Let's just get the entire set now and cackle as we hang a Mirror Force over the heads of our adversaries.

I’d also like to see all in on Metal Raiders. If we don’t get Mirror Force from that, we should at least be able to get a couple of copies of Solemn Judgement.

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Soooooo I decided to check something out, and it turns out a bunch of the chase cards for the majority of the sets are banned in game. Examples include Raigeki, Mirror Force (forgot that card was banned at some point), Magical Scientist, Harpies Feather Duster, Witch of the Black Forest, Painful Choice, IO, and Ring of Destruction.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Spell Ruler. All-in.

RatBox! RatBox! RatBox!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Alright, will close off the votes for now, I'll see exactly what we end up buying when I tally it all up.

Edit: It'll take me a little bit to get all the cards organized in my deck manager, but these were some interesting pulls. I've got a feeling this next deck is going to be a bit more wild than the last one.

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 15, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Update 4: Almost Seven Completed

MUSIC: Game Menu

QUIZMAN: Hrm... Jackie Joyner-Kersee... 1988 and 1992...

QUIZMAN: Eh? No, you fool! It's the heptathalon not the decathalon! Anyone knows that!

MARILITH: Old man, you know what else is known? That I'm still here. Waiting for my cards.

QUIZMAN: Eh? Oh... here.

MARILITH: ...Thank you.

MARILITH: 8 of Metal Raiders, and 7 each of Pharaoh's Servant. and Magic Ruler? Some power to be had here, no doubt about it.

I tried to sort of weight the packs on their cost to vote amount, but I don't know if that really worked out. This is what we got anyways.

MARILITH: My luck seems to fancy handing me the card depicted on the pack...

-B. Skull Dragon- in the first pack. One of the beefiest fusions around, but not terribly worth the investment in the long run. The requisite Summoned Skull with a good equip card has more ATK for less cards required.

-Witch's Apprentice- is one card from a set of attribute supporting monsters. In this case, while she's on the field, Dark monsters get +500 ATK and Light monsters lose 400. Some people don't like these cards much for their main weakness of having low stats making them easy to destroy in battle, but there's ways around that. I find people undervalue ATK boosts in general, personally.

MARILITH: Now there's a worthy card! Simple, but quite effective...

-Summoned Skull- is most well known for being the largest single tribute monster to exist for years until it's throne was taken by Frostosaurus. With 2500 ATK, it's a very large body that most monsters will struggle to beat without assistance. Outside of King of Beasts and Fusilier, this beats everything in Scapegoat's deck. Though the noted downside is that it does take a tribute and has no effects. In early beatdown type games, this card is king.

It's also very similar to a specific Magic the Gathering card. Makes sense given this game's origin is that Kazuki Takahashi really just liked MtG and wanted to write a manga about a high stakes card game.

MARILITH: Ah. More clowns.

-Dream Clown- and the currently unobtained -Crass Clown- are the signature cards for an early deck known as Clown Control. These two monsters are very effective, repeatable removal cards that can lock your opponent out of keeping anything on board. -Bickuribox- happens to be made from both of them, but has no worthwhile use outside of maybe exiting the control strategy if it gets broken. Would've been crazy if it actually had a relevant effect.

-Gate Guardian- is a very cool card that takes way too much to get out. Requiring the on field combination of -Kazejin-, -Suijin-, and -Sanga of the Thunder-, you're probably already winning from that standpoint. Even lacking the protection effects of it's component pieces, it only has being the biggest non-extra deck monster as it's accolade. Still funny though.

MARILITH: Well, hello, you. You're still serviceable, perhaps...

The legendary -Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon- is less known for it's presence here, and more for being the go-to fusion in the Forbidden Memories game. At least due to the effect of it's component piece, -Thunder Dragon-, it is one of the fusions with the easiest conditions to meet. And that's something.

There's also -Mask of Darkness-, which is Magician of Faith but for traps.

Oh look, it's Thunder Dragon. TD is mostly known for its effect of discarding it to pull all other copies from your deck into your hand moreso than its statline. With three copies in deck, this technically means you can thin your deck out by 1 card and get an extra card in hand. Outside of Twin-Headed, TD just doesn't do much though and is just a poorly statted 1 tribute.

MARILITH: Mhmhm. The hand destruction triangle is all in attendance now. Welcome, -White Magical Hat-.

White Hat is the last of the three notable hand destruction monsters. Though he lacks power compared to the other two (Reaper and Zaloog), he does have a cool 'stache.

-Trap Dustshoot- is another hand destruction card we pick up along the way in this pack draw, though I don't value it as much as some others do. In general, it's a match duel (first to 2 wins) side deck kind of card and this game just does single duels for the CPU anyways.

MARILITH: ...Huh. It's the old man. How about that?

-Reversal Quiz- is a funny card, and we do have the requisite Black Pendant to do the FTK/OTK. The problem is that we don't have nearly enough of a draw engine to support it.

Cat of Ill Omen searches a trap, improved by Necrovalley, and -Gravekeeper's Spy- is a 2000 DEF monster that brings other Gravekeepers to the field. Including copies of itself. This card was a raw staple in a lot of decks.

-Reaper on the Nightmare- we could make if we had -Polymerization-. It's very funny at least and the guaranteed direct hit does let him tear cards out of the hand effectively.

I should mention that the way Fusions normally work is that you need the listed materials (or valid substitutes) in hand or on the field, alongside the spell Polymerization. Play Poly, send away the material monsters, and special summon the appropriate monster.

MARILITH: Ah, there you are. At last, the land of the dead, -Necrovalley-. I'll enjoy watching my opponents squirm as I take them on a little tour...

MARILITH: Snake Jar is far from the best serpent, but it has some uses.

Necrovalley is the Gravekeeper's field spell giving them 500 ATK/DEF. More than just that, it boosts the effects of An Owl of Luck and A Cat of Ill Omen, alongside stopping cards in the graveyard from being moved or interacted with in any way. Very effective against decks that use the graveyard as part of their advantage (read: Zombies and Chaos).

-Snake Jar- is minor, but it's at least a byline to a 1 tribute.

-Dice Jar- is also very funny. The chance to burn yourself or your opponent for 6000 will never not be funny. Very dangerous though.

MARILITH: This... now this is power... Limited, but with potential.

-Metamorphosis- was one of the key pieces in classic Goat Format, and though it may be restricted down to a single copy shenanigans can still be had. This solves our lack of a Polymerization in a peculiar way.

Metamorph basically lets you exchange a monster from your field with one from your extra deck as long as they have the same level. Right now, our only good targets are Twin-Headed at level 7 (we have quite a few 7s) and Reaper on the Nightmare at 5. The other fusions we own are either just not good (everything that's not B. Skull Dragon) or we lack a good level target for (B. Skull Dragon).

Historically, this was used to turn Scapegoat tokens into -Thousand-Eyes Restrict- alongside a few other mild utility monsters.

-King Tiger Wanghu- is a brutal floodgate if you're going up against an opponent that relies on weak monsters with strong effects as he instantly destroys any card with 1400 or less ATK if they're on the field at all.

MARILITH: Hmph. A promising start to this one. Let us see if this can top anything obtained thus far...

Getting into Magic Spell Ruler, we open with some cards of note immediately.

-Maha Vailo- is a personal favorite, simply being a monster that gets even huger with every equip card it has. -Hamburger Recipe- is the ritual spell to summon one of the greatest Yu-gi-oh meme cards in existence, -Hungry Burger-.

And -Relinquished- on the end is the component piece for normally fusing Restrict, but otherwise is a real piece of work that basically absorbs an opponent's monster.

This leads us to talk about Ritual Monsters for the first time. Each ritual monster can only be summoned by its appropriate ritual spell. The ritual spell requires you to tribute enough monsters from field or hand whose levels total or exceed the level of the ritual monster. The ritual monster also has to be in hand for this.

With fusions often needing many dead weight cards in deck and rituals eating up 2 cards in deck that often do nothing, neither were played that often historically. Metamorphosis opened the way for some fusions, and rituals have some support cards, but they've always been strategies that ask for chunky card combos. Even modern ritual decks still hard brick (a.k.a, end up with a completely unusable hand).

Rituals are still super cool though, and some are powerful. Being in this early GX era, one of the most viable ones is even in the game now, Demise. If you do vote for a ritual monster, I'll include the requisite spell and vice-versa.

MARILITH: Now this... this is a risky way to slither out of a tight situation. I'll enjoy the look on their faces when it reveals itself, at the very least.

-Cyber Jar- is an exceedingly dangerous, but also funny card... like most of the jars, really. It blows up the whole field, then each player pulls 5 cards of the top off their deck and is forced to summon any of them that are level 4 and valid to normal summon. Even funnier, it allows the player to special summon the monster face-down.

Outside of being a highly varying board wipe where either player can end up with a huge advantage, the latter effect I mentioned makes this good for decks that like other flip monsters. It's restricted to 1 for a reason.

There's also the Burger which is a Warrior type for some reason, -Malevolent Nuzzler- as a good basic equip spell,-Toll-, a rude stall and burn card. and-Karate Man- is a poor duelist's Dark Elf.

MARILITH: Not particularly appetizing, but as a card... well, it may have it's uses.

-Mystic Tomato- is a "recruiter" like our Pyramid Turtle, but targets specifically dark monsters. Many of our zombies are dark, but this targets 1500 ATK Dark monsters. Most of our stuff has more than that. At the very least it gets Spirit Reaper, and will also help in grabbing Gravekeepers as they almost all have 1500 ATK or less.

-Flash Assailant- is kind of an Adversity Monster based on having little to no cards in hand. It has the benefit of being Dark attribute at least.

-Crab Turtle- was once the biggest ritual, but not anymore.

-House of Adhesive Tape- is very peculiar, a funky Trap Hole targeting cards with very low DEF. I feel like it was specifically made for countering Jirai Gumo.

MARILITH: Ah... the -Axe of Despair-, and with it, the watcher of Necrovalley, the -Gravekeeper's Servant-.

MARILITH: Both of you will prove very, very useful. You serve me now, Servant.

The axe is one of three premiere equip cards from this era, granting 1000 ATK and having an optional effect to recover it. It alone is a huge power increase that allows threatening large monsters with little investment. A Summoned Skull wielding it becomes 3500, outclassing both B. Skull Dragon and Blue-eyes White Dragon. Maha Vailo ends up 3050 ATK from it alone, also allowing it to contest Blue-Eyes.

Gravekeeper's Servant makes the opponent have to send 1 card from the top of their deck in order to declare an attack. You can have 3 of these on field. It gets bad fast.

Even worse, when combined with a card that forces cards to be banished instead of going to the grave, your opponent simply cannot attack. This card is very mean, and if we continue to fill out our hand destruction and mill cards, we might have an exceedingly evil deck on our hands.

MARILITH: Another Trunade is appreciated.

MARILITH: ...-Performance of Sword-? Hm.

Performance isn't amazing, but she's about as functional as Burger. I always really just liked her card art. :shobon:

The two of them can be used in a sort of ritual Earth Warriors type deck, but that's about it. They are the same level though, so you can pay the ritual cost of summoning one by tributing the other out of your hand. That's completely valid.

The last two packs outfit us with a second Performance and her ritual, the ritual to summon Relinquished, as well as another Crab Turtle, the Water recruiter -Mother Grizzly- (why is the bear a water? nobody knows) and -Messenger of Peace-.

The latter is a good stalling card, preventing things with more than 1500 ATK from attacking. It has a tiny per turn cost of 100LP that is also completely optional, so it's obnoxiously good.

MARILITH: A lot to work with, but there's no need to rush into deck construction.

MARILITH: We'll see what I have to fit in first. Hopefully something good...

Time for the voting!

-> FULL CARD TRUNK + LAST DECK HERE <-

PACK RESULTS:

Results posted:

Normal Tributes-
-Hyozanryu- x1
-Summoned Skull- x1
-Flame Cerebrus- x1

Normal Monsters-
-Kabazauls- x2
-Inpachi- x1
-Gazelle the King of Mythical Beasts- x2
-Ancient Elf- x2
-Red Archery Girl- x1
-Tongyo- x1
-Feral Imp- x2
-Harpie Lady- x1
-Jellyfish- x2
-Killer Needle- x1
-Baby Dragon- x2
-Liquid Beast- x1
-Rock Ogre Grotto #1- x1
-Mechanical Snail- x1
-Saggi the Dark Clown- x1
-Mega Thunderball- x1
-Petit Moth- x1

Effect Tributes -

-Gate Guardian- x1
-Mystical Knight of Jackal- x1
-Thunder Dragon- x2

Effect Normal Summons -

-Flash Assailant- x2
-Winged Sage Falcos- x1
-King Tiger Wanghu- x1
-Maha Vailo- x1
-Wandering Mummy- x1
-Gravekeeper's Spear Soldier- x1
-Mystic Tomato- x1
-Mother Grizzly- x1
-Gravekeeper's Spy- x1
-Dream Clown- x1
-Karate Man- x3
-White Magical Hat- x1
-Cyber Jar- x1
-Penguin Knight- x1
-Dice Jar- x1
-Mask of Darkness- x2
-Hiro's Shadow Scout- x1
-Cobra Jar- x1
-Witch's Apprentice- x1
-Sasuke Samurai- x1
-A Cat of Ill Omen- x2
-Milus Radiant- x1

Spell Cards -
-Reversal Quiz- x2
-Block Attack- x1
-Timidity- x1
-The Cheerful Coffin- x1
-Giant Trunade- x1
-Metamorphosis- x1
-Royal Tribute- x1
-Elegant Egotist- x1
-Black Illusion Ritual- x1
-Commencement Dance- x1
-Hamburger Recipe- x1
-The Reliable Guardian- x1
-Tailor of the Fickle- x1
-Pyramid Energy- x1
-Gravekeeper's Servant- x1
-Messenger of Peace- x1
-Toll- x1
-Axe of Despair- x1
-Malevolent Nuzzler- x1
-Molten Destruction- x1
-Necrovalley- x1

Trap Cards -
-Snake Fang- x1
-Dark Coffin- x1
-House of Adhesive Tape- x1
-Rite of Spirit- x1
-Needle Ceiling- x1
-Trap Dustshoot- x1
-Non Aggression Area- x1
-Disturbance Strategy- x3
-Needle Wall- x1
-Curse of Royal- x2
-Tutan Mask- x1
-Magic Jammer- x1

Ritual Monsters -
Missing Required Spell:
-Crab Turtle- x2

Summonable:
-Hungry Burger- x1
-Performance of Sword- x2
-Relinquished- x1

Extra Deck -
Black Skull Dragon x1
-Twin-Headed Thunder Dragon- x2
-Bickuribox- x1
-Rabid Horseman- x1
-Giltia the D. Knight- x1
-Kaminari Attack- x2
-Reaper on the Nightmare- x2

CARD CHOICE:
1 card that you want Mari to have to play in the deck for this next set of duels. Each voter gets their own card to add, so there's no need to double up on a vote unless you specifically want me to play multiple. Depending on what's forced, I might play all copies anyways. It depends.

The card can be any card from the trunk or in the new draws.

DUELIST CHOICE:

1. -Kuriboh-
2. -Skull Servant-
3. -Watapon-
4. -White Magician Pikeru-

Left 4 Bread fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 20, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Fight White Magician Pikeru next, seems like the logical progression of events after Scapegoat.

Also picking Necrovalley for the next deck, sounds like a fun addition.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Hmm... I think our next target should be Watapon.

I do have a bit of fondness for the Atrribute ATK manipulators that would eventually be retrained into the good baseline LINK2s. With that in mind, I'll put forth Witch's Apprentice for the deck~

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I’ll also ask you to duel White Magician Pikeru… but you’ll need to use Nobleman of Crossout!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Cat of Ill Omen vs. Skull Servant I suppose next would be the Trout of neutral luck?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Well, I've been pressing on Gravekeepers, so might as well ask for Gravekeeper's Spy.

And sure, I'll hop on the White Magician Pikeru bandwagon.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Fight White Magician Pikeru next, seems like the logical progression of events after Scapegoat.

Also picking Necrovalley for the next deck, sounds like a fun addition.

Don't really care about who we take on, just so long as we add Necrovalley. Sure, it might hinder your graveyard effects too, but a good player knows how to play around it. I am not one of those people, but I sure as heck liked having it on hand for monsters that had effects that let them return from the grave.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Take Relinquished to fight whoever, please.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

quote:

the Water recruiter -Mother Grizzly- (why is the bear a water? nobody knows)

Obviously, you aren't a fan of Fat Bear Week or you'd know the answer :colbert:

Mother Grizzly against Watapon

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Feed the Hungry Burger to Watapon!

Greenking77
Nov 6, 2022
Aww I was hoping you would get my favorite dumb early floodgate card Ordeal of the Traveler in your Pharoah's Servant packs. I fondly remember using it with the other stall cards to make a flip control deck with stealth bird and ominous fortune teller of all things as a win condition.

I'll vote for the madness that is Cyber Jar instead and pick to punch Skull Servant in the face to prove we are the superior zombie duelist.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Greenking77 posted:

Aww I was hoping you would get my favorite dumb early floodgate card Ordeal of the Traveler in your Pharoah's Servant packs. I fondly remember using it with the other stall cards to make a flip control deck with stealth bird and ominous fortune teller of all things as a win condition.

Ordeal is a quite a stalling card, I'm well aware of it. It's one of the few that can even be sorta funny sometimes. Most stall is terribly unfun to play against. Fortune Teller and Stealth Bird are legitimate burn cards, and around the early packs there's a lot to bolster that sort of gameplay.

Something we didn't hit out of Pharaonic Guardian is Dark Snake Syndrome, which is another good thing for that.

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Don't really care about who we take on, just so long as we add Necrovalley. Sure, it might hinder your graveyard effects too, but a good player knows how to play around it. I am not one of those people, but I sure as heck liked having it on hand for monsters that had effects that let them return from the grave.

To note, as BLT has already voted for Necrovalley it is going in regardless. A second vote for it isn't necessary as we only got one copy, but it's fine as well.

Kmsorter
Jun 3, 2023
I’ll throw in Dice Jar, and suggest taking out Skull Servant next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Use King Tiger Wanghu to destroy Kuriboh when it summons itself.