Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

One judging point away from beating Tyson Fury. God drat, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

A split decision gently caress me.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
On behalf of the boxing thread: We surrender

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

By far the funniest and most damaging-to-Dana result possible

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Split decision with the final card being 95-94. Ngannou got the knockdown and I think he also hurt Fury in round 8. That's unbelievable, he took a dominant HW champ to the absolute limit in his first fight in the sport.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I don't even care about the decision, real happy for Francis and just as happy for Dana to be eating poo poo on this

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I'm just glad this pisses off the ufc owners and Dana

Francis :unsmith:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

double negative posted:

I don't even care about the decision, real happy for Francis and just as happy for Dana to be eating poo poo on this

Ngannou has two enormous paydays set up from this fight (at minimum), each of which will probably make him more money than Dana ever would have let him make.

Dude rules and deserves it.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Francis just did what Connor could never

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

So happy Francis got paid tonight, and is going to get paid more in the future, and that the piece of poo poo dana white won’t make any money off of it

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Time to see if PFL has any promotional muscle to push Ngannou into being a crossover star.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

francis would have massacred jon jones.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Time to see if PFL has any promotional muscle to push Ngannou into being a crossover star.

i dont think he ever enters a cage again.

coathat
May 21, 2007

yeah why would you go back to the pfl after that

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I had no idea this fight was on tonight, so I got to quickly read through all the posts during the fight in less than 5 min. That was a treat. Thanks thread.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Goddamnit I wish I caught Ngannou's fight live. drat my other commitments!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/DannStupp/status/1718408017413071076?t=_

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

lmao Dana White, the fuggin' maroon

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
After doing an 8 or 9 figure contract with Bud Light, fighter pay should double instantly

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Chris James 2 posted:

By far the funniest and most damaging-to-Dana result possible
Did better than Conor and (pardon my FightSport) BLAF got zero percent of the action.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm so proud of Ngannou.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The post fight presser was canceled lmao. They all know Fury lost that poo poo :lol:

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/itstimothydavis/status/1718414840560312446

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
an extremely roided youtuber half the age of the former draws he's paying very well to take fights with no professional upside, but otherwise ^^^^^

Francis is the character I made in Fight Night Rd4 except there's no game engine forcing me to dump other stats to hit like he does

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

an extremely roided youtuber half the age of the former draws he's paying very well to take fights with no professional upside, but otherwise ^^^^^

don't forget anyone who isn't absolutely ancient is naturally 40 pounds lighter

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Dana White has spent severals years banking on the raw star power of definitely popular man Colby Covington and let Ngannou walk, a man who's life and career would be deemed too implausible for a film.

The weird people who defend Dana as if he's their favourite fighter instead of an inept promoter don't even bother defending his lack of ability any more. Now it's just 'why didn't the fighter promote themselves? what's the promoter supposed to do? promote him or something?'

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Even if Ngannou had the most boring life and personality possible you should still should have been able to make him into a giant star based on the fact that he's the most goddamn terrifying knockout artist probably ever. Glad to see Dana end up with an undeniable faceplant on this one

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

hes also got personality, the post fight promo he did was great

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fentry posted:

Even if Ngannou had the most boring life and personality possible you should still should have been able to make him into a giant star based on the fact that he's the most goddamn terrifying knockout artist probably ever. Glad to see Dana end up with an undeniable faceplant on this one

he's also shown that he's more than a knockout artist. Remember that early UFC fight where he scored a figure 4 submission that he'd been shown like an hour earlier? Or him winning every grappling exchange against Stipe the second time?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

sigh, if only francis were a loud racist white guy, just imagine the ufc promotion and success.......

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

One judging point away from beating Tyson Fury. God drat, man.

by my card, the decision was correct by the rules of boxing. but i can say without hesitation that tyson loving fury just lost a boxing fight to francis ngannou

fury looked like absolute poo poo the entire night and if he rocks up like that to usyk he will be embarrassed. again.

ngannou's boxing was so far above what I was expecting that with fury looking like poo poo at the same time i spent the first couple of rounds wondering what the gently caress i was seeing. oh lord the knockdown.

honestly tho, even with fury looking like poo poo, ngannou boxed so well i would pay to see him fight any boxer in the top 10 and i will be getting a real loving fight. after floyd's sparring session with conor, that's wild. and exciting.

i hope francis kept the contract of the ufc's final offer and frames it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this forum only recognizes Stockton Rules of by which Francis defeated Fury in every metric

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

this forum only recognizes Stockton Rules of by which Francis defeated Fury in every metric

I realize this is very disrespectful to Ngannou's MMA career, but the UFC treated him like poo poo so gently caress 'em.

Francis pulled off the actual Rocky I fight, right down to it not mattering that technically Fury won.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Francis pulled off the actual Rocky I fight, right down to it not mattering that technically Fury won.

holy poo poo lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As if you needed more proof that the UFC would make more money by paying its fighters more.
You literally cannot design a more marketable fighter than Francis Ngannou. He looks like he was carved out of marble, seems to be a nice dude and knocks people flat. You can make a better fighter but it's different.
Dana's hella dumb

delightful
Jul 20, 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As if you needed more proof that the UFC would make more money by paying its fighters more.
You literally cannot design a more marketable fighter than Francis Ngannou. He looks like he was carved out of marble, seems to be a nice dude and knocks people flat. You can make a better fighter but it's different.
Dana's hella dumb

Dana is real bad at his job of *checks notes* promoter? He's a promoter? Promotes fights? Are we sure about this?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Promoter of right wing propaganda

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Promoter of the gum disease gingivitis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
nice poo poo francis. did better than anyone ever would have thought.