Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

mountains of meat hangin' and bangin'

the old days are back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Super Deuce posted:

Does Overeem Mark Coleman unretire with this news?

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Hendricks and Weidman, champions in 2024 bruh.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

legit the most interested i've been in seeing what direction ufc goes in next for a while

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Conor was the catalyst but I think more than anything, now that the merger is officially over we're just going to see more and more of the UFC's real goal, which is getting rid of as much friction as possible between them and just doing whatever they want all the time. That's the real goal of all of it. The matchmaking being poo poo isn't people being bad at their jobs, it's the ongoing attempt to shift the focus of matchmaking away from fans and toward whatever marketing wants. The Contender Series isn't a talent scouting competition, it's a way to flood the roster with low-cost, fan-friendly fighters so they can bargain more expensive guys out of the picture.

Getting rid of USADA not only means removing another check between the UFC and whatever it wants at any given time, it means moving back to an industry where the UFC can expect you to be on the good recovery drugs so they can book you again next month.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

If the IV ban also goes away, watch out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

kensei posted:

If the IV ban also goes away, watch out.
As in we're going to see our first in-cage multiple organ failure since Overeem kicked Brock in the guts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I know we don't expect much out of the UFC these days and nothing should surprise us, but this is legitimately shocking. Are they going back to WADAs 3 or 4 drug tests a year?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ALWAYS AND FOREVER

man Conor truly is the goat. first two division champion and makes the sport so popular it merges with WWE and brings back steroids, effectively ushering in the second Pride Era.

unfortunately this will be known as the (dana) White Pride Era, but gotta take small victories

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

top ten juiced up coaches AND the top ten juiced up fighters :dehumanize:

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Remember when Vince McMahon started his own body building competition because he didn't like the emphasis on clean competition that was going on at the time and he wanted one where his dudes could be roided out glistening knotted behemoths? I don't know why I remembered that just this moment :shrug:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CarlCX posted:

We're one month into the TKO era and the biggest title rematch in the company is happening on a week's notice as a late replacement fight, Khamzat Chimaev is fighting Kamaru Usman for a top ranking at middleweight, the UFC is preparing to enter Saudi Arabia and strict drug testing is dead.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DoombatINC posted:

Remember when Vince McMahon started his own body building competition because he didn't like the emphasis on clean competition that was going on at the time and he wanted one where his dudes could be roided out glistening knotted behemoths? I don't know why I remembered that just this moment :shrug:
That part of his Behind the Bastards six-parter was especially funny.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

LOOK AT THE STRIATIONS

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i just wish dunc and yak were here to see the new era of roid golems be ushered in

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
that scene in RoboCop where the police suspend service at midnight, except instead of Clarence handing out Cobra assault cannons it's Jon Jones handing out syringes the same size and gauge

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Shumagorath posted:

That part of his Behind the Bastards six-parter was especially funny.

It also made for a great two parter on The Dogg Zzone 9000

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Long time ago, there was some game we played as a forum/thread. You had stats to make a fighter, Muay Thai expert, BJJ expert, boxing, etc. Then we all competed against each other, one person ran the fights and posted the outcome text here.

What was the name of that game? I think it was free.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 12, 2023

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Marching Powder posted:

USADA was just for legitimacy purposes in preparation to be accepted into the mainstream and bought by a huge conglomerate like the Reebok deal right? Now that that is all done the sport can return to the state of 'clean' we accept from the NBA, NFL, and pro wrestling.

I think a lot of it is the ESPN deal and the fact that UFC now has a professional board. Imagine the UFC brass explaining to a room full of Gordon Gecko types that, well, the easiest way they can make more money is to have Conor fight, and erm, he can't fight because of USADA, and geez, USADA is voluntary, plus -- you're not going to believe this -- we pay for USADA, and then explaining that there's literally no short-term downside to ditching USADA because the fighters will only have their hearts explode 20 years down the line and UFC has a ton of guaranteed ESPN money. Plus, on top of that, we get to market huge roided up hulking freakshows?

I bet the USADA contract just spontaneously combusted in the board room.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I think this is also gonna have impact on other orgs, folks in WSOFPFL, Bellator etc also got smaller because a lot of them were hoping to get in to UFC one day, assuming those other orgs will still continue to exist that is.

Edit: wait I just remembered that PFL just hired USADA, so maybe if Bellator folds then the above paragraph is just nonsense :shrug:

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 12, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

blue footed boobie posted:

I think a lot of it is the ESPN deal and the fact that UFC now has a professional board. Imagine the UFC brass explaining to a room full of Gordon Gecko types that, well, the easiest way they can make more money is to have Conor fight, and erm, he can't fight because of USADA, and geez, USADA is voluntary, plus -- you're not going to believe this -- we pay for USADA, and then explaining that there's literally no short-term downside to ditching USADA because the fighters will only have their hearts explode 20 years down the line and UFC has a ton of guaranteed ESPN money. Plus, on top of that, we get to market huge roided up hulking freakshows?

I bet the USADA contract just spontaneously combusted in the board room.

yeah there’s really no upside to having it now that they’re big, have national acceptance and recognition, and are owned by the right white people. now it’ll be like the rest of sports where everyone just kinda looks the other way because we all want our entertainment.

before, when they were owned by the Fertittas and therefore opposed by the Culinary Union, there was some theoretical risk of having a WWF like steroid investigation. But Rahm Emanuel has every type of democratic connection you could have and Dana is, well, probably going to speak at the RNC again. You add in Silver Lake behind it all and yeah, literally 0 reason for USADA to be involved anymore from their POV. there will be no regulation and no oversight unless there’s a steroid-driven death in the ring, like prime roided up Overeem or Vitor killing a guy with a knee.

it also helps extend the life of their stars. Even if Conor loses again, he’ll still probably be able to juice more and more until he’s early 40s. that’s too much money to leave on the table. Guys like Nate and Volk were pretty late to becoming true stars, so extending their ability when they finally became more popular will be way more profitable than throwing whatever the hell a Mateusz Gamrot is at the title before Mateusz can really become known.

but also, I would guess this means we see Brock again at UFC 300. wouldn’t doubt against Bones if he beats Stipe.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Ay this fuckin sucks

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress conor

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hey now the fighters don't have to worry about guys coming to their homes at any hour, invading their privacy, and demanding to see their genitals or risk losing years of their already limited career.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

piss collector talking all snarky at his wife for getting on his case or hoarding piss in the basement for a rainy day. not so crazy now that the free piss well has dried up now is he, deborah?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Soon if you aren't at least 6'2 you wont be able to land a fight regardless of division.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Soon if you aren't at least 6'2 you wont be able to land a fight regardless of division.
we will all look back fondly on the simpler, more gentlemanly era of the Sean The Muscle Shark Sherk

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Both in height and width

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TheKingslayer posted:

Hey now the fighters don't have to worry about guys coming to their homes at any hour, invading their privacy, and demanding to see their genitals or risk losing years of their already limited career.

Yeah now they just have to worry about affording the best steroids while being severely underpaid by UFC.

This works fine in modern team sports (NBA, NFL, whatever) because those players are making a poo poo ton more money than UFC fighters and because the teams are also making money and can pay for/organize that poo poo, I don't think it's gonna work as well for the fighters making 12/12, it's just gonna entrench the veteran fighters who are making slightly more and more just due to having more fights with the company, so I hope you're all ready to enjoy the next generation of Sam Alveys.

Brock Lesnar is 46 years old and if he takes another MMA fight ever again it'll be some weird freakshow bullshit like tito/chuck (holy poo poo I originally typed this out as "recent" but that was in 2018) and not anything close to a serious title fight.

Brut fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 12, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Brut posted:

Yeah now they just have to worry about affording the best steroids while being severely underpaid by UFC.

This works fine in modern team sports (NBA, NFL, whatever) because those players are making a poo poo ton more money than UFC fighters and because the teams are also making money and can pay for/organize that poo poo, I don't think it's gonna work as well for the fighters making 12/12, it's just gonna entrench the veteran fighters who are making slightly more and more just due to having more fights with the company, so I hope you're all ready to enjoy the next generation of Sam Alveys.

No, now under USADA they have to afford the best gear to dodge the tests. Or have the money and connections to fight their suspensions in court through third party arbitration like Jon Jones and Yoel Romero did. Otherwise in the USADA system you're a Tom Lawlor who gets their career ended over popping for Ostarine while TJ Dillashaw has puff pieces about his grand comeback from getting busted for EPO.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Brock and Overeem together again on every PED available and experimental. Two half-horse slabs stampeding around the octagon.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
given how much the UFC monitors/guides/offers to help with weight cuts and diets, and given how many performance institutes they are building, I’m guessing it’ll be a quick descent into them openly giving athletes steroids and TRT and stem cells and everything else directly. and giving secret exemptions and eventually saying “but what are steroids, really?”.

i feel like all that stuff is more socially accepted than years ago, so they’ll eventually have a reason to give basically everything that is legal to whoever wants it or whoever they want to take it. what’s the difference between TRT and some over the counter supplements? if it helps athletes be “healthy”, why not? (their probable argument, not mine)

i don’t think you’ll see poo poo like stanozolol. but it is still legal to prescribe so who knows. maybe they will just go nuts and not tell anyone. privileged medical information and all that. i don’t think any of the commissions will commit to the same type of testing USADA does year round. nor are any of them in a political position strong enough to, not will they be.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I think it really depends what you do with stuff too, builds really changed significantly with USADA and the IV ban, fighters look different, with a handful of exceptions (Yoel Romero, Paulo Costa, probably a few others who just don't come to mind) there's not a lot of people on the roster who look like they're on stuff, even if at some level they are. I wonder if that's gonna revert or if fighters are gonna actually have some moderation this time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

so long as people know that if they choose to neglect ped's for ideological / religious reasons, then they are choosing to fight against mutants. the ufc doing this with usada is pretty much that declaration so i'm cool with it.

Not that I think there’s many elite fighters not willing to take the risk, but concern over the medical/ health effects of PEDs is another legit reason to avoid them.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

given how much the UFC monitors/guides/offers to help with weight cuts and diets, and given how many performance institutes they are building,

I’ve always been under the impression that all UFC does for weight cuts is to maybe answer the phone when a fighter calls to say they hosed it up and can’t fight. Also I don’t know a lot about the performance institutes but it seems like they’re pretty vanilla gyms that are usually empty?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cutting the entire anti doping mechanism to give Conor a prayer of winning is utterly incredible

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The best outcome would be for Conor to get starched immediately. I want to see this fight at 205 where both guys come out like little 5'5 Ronnie Cole-men. If we're going to tell the entire audience that it's so important this one guy is allowed to be juiced that we're just dropping the testing program, they should just embrace it and say, "Yes, we want human gorillas pounding away at each other." Why not?

Maybe this news will even attract Gordon Ryan to the show.

I like the sport clean as much as anybody, I'd prefer it clean, but we all know it's not and now the UFC basically said they know and don't care that it's not, so the only alternative is to lean into it. Get big pharma in on it. Let them make designer steroids that are absolutely insane and sponsor fighters. Hell, start working on how to grow mutant fighter beasts in labs and get Elon to use neuralink to teach them like Neo. This is the UFC we need.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Cutting the entire anti doping mechanism to give Conor a prayer of winning is utterly incredible
Watch him get carte blanche to juice all he wants and still not quit the cocaine and alcohol.

Super Deuce posted:

"Yes, we want human gorillas pounding away at each other." Why not?
Vince and Dana feel bad for Trumq and want to make the Gorilla Channel real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It is, and I look forward to the memes.