Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Lid posted:

https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1708858506516799499?t=DjzPm_gOrzhJRT8EJPnarw&s=19

After years ONE has become more attractive due to UFC being so toxic that this feels like that last place tgat combines how it felt to watch UFC and Prise before that a decade ago.

I can't really tell what you're saying there, but in response to what Chatri is saying, I would guess that UFC has something like 30 athletes on the roster who are former cagewarriors champs specifically between 145 and 205, without even going in to just in general people who had belts anywhere. There's a chance ONE FC pays better than UFC (I haven't seen numbers to indicate this is the case, but it's at least possible), but if he's trying to say that he has better athletes in general, he is of course, as always, full of poo poo. That being said, it's also his job to be full of poo poo and say that his org is the best at literally everything it does so it's not like i blame him, but that doesn't make him any less wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Lid posted:

They're both always full of poo poo but Dana's poo poo is more intolerable these days.

Yeah fair enough, I'm in no way saying positive things about Dana, just about the actual UFC roster.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Jesus christ, is any of that enforceable outside of Singapore? Like is it a possible a fighter can just tell them to gently caress off and go fight in the US?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1709385743817212196

some dude named Rodolfo Bellato fought in the contender series main event

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Do you think UFC picks up Usman Nurmagomedov when Bellator folds? He's still very young and I can't really see where else he'd even go.

Brut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 6, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

An update on this, she got another hour to make weight and used the curtain on her second attempt, weighing in the second time at 128.2. Those of you paying attention might notice that's actually bigger than the first number. I love this dumb loving sport.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

chaleski posted:

Thats gotta be a first right for me, I've never seen someone hop back on to weight cutting and putting more weight on instead, that's incredible

Yeah I'd love to hear what actually happened there, was there a "towel trick" on the first attempt or something along those lines? Did she just say gently caress it and start rehydrating between attempts knowing she's not gonna make it regardless? :shrug:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

ilmucche posted:

Was she holding the drat curtain herself?

lmao.

Bellator prelims are going, watch them for free here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qckiYi0HM-g

Edit: oops wrong thread lmao

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 8, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Were any of the fights worth watching? I haven't looked.

I think skip the UFC prelims, the main card was alright. I didn't see much on the Bellator card that got my attention but maybe that was just me.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

Hey, remember how nice it was that Derrick Lewis got a really cool win and we were happy about it and kind of sort of wanted him to retire before someone else made him look terrible again?

https://twitter.com/mma_orbit/status/1711430851156676964

Lewis is gonna gently caress this dude up, mark my words.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Scapegoat posted:

How long do the roids stay in your system these days and are we going to see some absurd testosterone levels after two years on the juice?

Conor's bizarre delay in reentering the testing pool despite supposedly wanting to fight in December definitely has nothing to do with him waiting until he tests clean using private testing, yup, couldn't be.

Would be funny though if he was too cheap to spend on the good stuff and USADA somehow catches him anyway.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

they'll kayfabe it away as some bullshit anyway. i think ufc should abolish drug testing completely and let the freaks fly.

Nah, there's orgs for that if you want it, KSW if you want to fight in Europe, RIZIN if you wanna fight in Asia and basically any regional org if you wanna fight in the US (CFFC or whatever). Also UFC fighters are underpaid as it is, it would be even more pronounced if they all had to afford a bunch of gear.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Marching Powder posted:

i am usually the last one to blame people who work with the fighters who make the ufc what it is but sparring without headgear this close to a fight is negligence. why are you even sparring this close to a fight. what the gently caress.

Particularly bizarre when your opponent is known for his elite wrestling, but chute boxe gonna chute boxe :shrug:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
lmao what the gently caress. Sigh, alright what can I say, just gonna have to roll with it and see how it affects the quality of the product.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I think this is also gonna have impact on other orgs, folks in WSOFPFL, Bellator etc also got smaller because a lot of them were hoping to get in to UFC one day, assuming those other orgs will still continue to exist that is.

Edit: wait I just remembered that PFL just hired USADA, so maybe if Bellator folds then the above paragraph is just nonsense :shrug:

Brut fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 12, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

TheKingslayer posted:

Hey now the fighters don't have to worry about guys coming to their homes at any hour, invading their privacy, and demanding to see their genitals or risk losing years of their already limited career.

Yeah now they just have to worry about affording the best steroids while being severely underpaid by UFC.

This works fine in modern team sports (NBA, NFL, whatever) because those players are making a poo poo ton more money than UFC fighters and because the teams are also making money and can pay for/organize that poo poo, I don't think it's gonna work as well for the fighters making 12/12, it's just gonna entrench the veteran fighters who are making slightly more and more just due to having more fights with the company, so I hope you're all ready to enjoy the next generation of Sam Alveys.

Brock Lesnar is 46 years old and if he takes another MMA fight ever again it'll be some weird freakshow bullshit like tito/chuck (holy poo poo I originally typed this out as "recent" but that was in 2018) and not anything close to a serious title fight.

Brut fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 12, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I think it really depends what you do with stuff too, builds really changed significantly with USADA and the IV ban, fighters look different, with a handful of exceptions (Yoel Romero, Paulo Costa, probably a few others who just don't come to mind) there's not a lot of people on the roster who look like they're on stuff, even if at some level they are. I wonder if that's gonna revert or if fighters are gonna actually have some moderation this time.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

It’ll be like USADA, but on steroids.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

CarlCX posted:

gently caress all the drug testing, let's talk about the story that really matters today

https://twitter.com/AlexBehunin/status/1712892398177865941

Ah yes, the fight memorable not for the actions of either fighter, but for the actions of Keith Peterson.

Actually how is Lacerda even still in the organization? He's 0-4 in UFC all by stoppage (not including the last one that got turned to NC, which would've been 0-5).

Brut fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 13, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Nierbo posted:

Usman really has a way with words: Like the saying goes 'fighters fight'. I think Chimaev takes this early and decisively. Interestingly Chimaev is a 2 to 1 favourite against the former p4p #1 but i think Usman has started his Tyron Woodley slide. His knees have been dust for years and the short notice and 185lb weight class won't help him one bit despite his protestations.

The only thing that makes me unsure is that Chimaev has been out of action for over a year and seems like he might have been taking training a little less seriously, but I could easily be getting the wrong impression there.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

kimbo305 posted:

Someone I know very peripherally is cornering someone in another MMA event in Abu Dhabi, and he ran into Volk

They're pretty much the same size in that pic, and the guy I know is not tall but jacked in person, mostly hidden under that black T shirt.
The 25lb cut Volk is talking about seems on the money.

Eh, really hard to tell with both their loose tshirts, cool that your friend met Volk though!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

blue footed boobie posted:

I learned of Shara Magomedov a few days ago and I legitimately did not know that you could get cleared to fight with one eye.

My guess is we'll never see him fight anywhere with a real athletic commission.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Wait hold up, at what point did we hear him say the thing that you can hear him say in the video he's replying to? what?

Like he's not even offering clarification "No what I said was, that takedown rocked".

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 18, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Joey McChrist posted:

yeah all i can really make out is "you ok?" from gaethje and usman replying "no problem"

Ok having considered "no problem" I'm now far less confident that I'm hearing the word "pop" in there. Don't think it'll matter much in the end though, I think even a healthy 36 year old Usman loses to Chimaev at 185.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
:siren: Here is the UFC 294 thread, come talk about the card which starts in 1 hour :siren: