Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

CarlCX posted:

It's a big day for insider info, because, in hilarious timing for our conversation about Chatri, Bloody Elbow (legally!) got their hands on the contract ONE signed with Adriano Moraes for his title fight with DJ in 2021 and it is, in what may shock and dismay you, probably the worst baseline for contracts in the entire sport. They scanned the entire thing and did a 40-minute podcast breaking it down that you can peruse if you want, but aside from all the normal lovely stuff the UFC and Bellator already do, your more egregious highlights include:
  • Likeness rights that belong to ONE for unrestricted use in merchandising and advertising, superseding all other company contracts and continuing in perpetuity even after you die
  • A championship clause whereby, if you win a title in ONE, you are automatically locked into another two-year, four-fight contract that is frozen at your current pay level
  • No sunset clause of any kind for declining fights, meaning even in the event of injury or retirement ONE can extend your contract for your entire natural life if they so choose
  • You can't book any media, interviews or self-promotion of any kind without ONE's direct permission and approval, nor can you change anything about your identity or your name or any way in which you are promoted
  • A permanent non-disparagement clause by which you cannot say anything bad about ONE, their networks, their sponsors or anyone they do business with, which continues in perpetuity for the rest of your life after the term of the contract concludes
  • Also for some weird reason if you file for bankruptcy or have some other tax issue requiring wage garnishing ONE can and will fire you rather than letting outside creditors access their finances
  • Also if you want to fight any legal disagreement with ONE you can only do it through arbitration specifically in Singapore
  • Your fight expenses are an economy-class ticket for you and one cornerman, one hotel room with specifically twin-sized beds, and a S$40 (so about $30 US) per diem for food
It takes real loving work to be a worse place for fighters than the UFC, but god drat, they found a way.

This is staggering. If you showed this to an early Christian in Rome they'd probably take their chances with the lion on the coliseum undercard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
volk / islam 2 would be a fascinating fight. it would be a real insight into their ability to adapt after 25 minutes of data and i'd watch the gently caress out of it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

gotta think the shorter time frame would have to favour volk. i bet that fight has been on his mind this entire time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I'm sure volk will have unlimited access to the heal you faster than humanly possible poo poo so if he's signing to fight I believe he's g2g.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i am usually the last one to blame people who work with the fighters who make the ufc what it is but sparring without headgear this close to a fight is negligence. why are you even sparring this close to a fight. what the gently caress.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

USADA was just for legitimacy purposes in preparation to be accepted into the mainstream and bought by a huge conglomerate like the Reebok deal right? Now that that is all done the sport can return to the state of 'clean' we accept from the NBA, NFL, and pro wrestling.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Unironically fine by me.

same, pretty much. i'm fine with ped usage in competitive fighting so long as people know that if they choose to neglect ped's for ideological / religious reasons, then they are choosing to fight against mutants. the ufc doing this with usada is pretty much that declaration so i'm cool with it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

It’ll be like USADA, but on steroids.

lol'ing

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

So this actually got funnier today. Previously, during the initial announcements, it turned out one of the former higher-ups at the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency was going to be in charge of the UFC's in-house drug assessments:

Mike Russell, who is an excellent reporter who does not get nearly enough credit, dug this up from a decade ago:

Turns out he was on the take from at least one supplement manufacturer he helped shield from investigation, left ASADA before he could face any consequences, and no-commented the whole thing.

So the two people in charge of the UFC's drug testing program are going to be a Bush FBI agent who trains with one of the sport's biggest steroid camps and a lab scientist who already helped tip the scales in favor of PED manufacturers.

It's gonna be a great year.

i am so angry that the ufc is only going to get way sicker with ped's basically allowed because this is really funny

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i seriously think if volk volunteered for this fight then he is healthy and fight fit and he absolutely has a plan to gently caress islam up. i refuse to believe he'd just volunteer to embarrass himself for absolutely no reason. if that's exactly what he did tho, because this is mma, lol.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Volk is coming off surgery and his turn around is not within the expected recovery time. Add to it the short as gently caress notice he probably hadn't been in camp until he got the call. I do not like his chances in this.

this is all true. what do you think he's thinking? because there was loving no reason to volunteer for this lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i think he'd make more with a full promotional run up but gently caress i don't know maybe dana wanted it real bad

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

i refuse to believe he'd just volunteer to embarrass himself for absolutely no reason. if that's exactly what he did tho, because this is mma, lol.

mma rules

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

as far as excuses go i completely get this and he still accepts responsibility for it. he's a cool dude.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

leftist heap posted:

did anyone tell him it was a bad idea

probably literally everyone. i still understand. especially at his age every second on the shelf would have been agony.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

Somehow I still overestimated.

my avatar is like the dude caesar hired to whisper in his ear 'you are but a dumb, stupid, really moronic man'

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

lol not sure if this has been posted but after Dana's whole "flags are back, people are too soft nowadays", they apparently didn't allow Khamzat and possibly Islam to walk to the ring with a Palestine flag?

lol at the concept of this, will lol again if it's confirmed.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol.

also, gently caress yeah islam makachev. you may have cost me 100 dollars by embarrassing my main man volk, but you still rule.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Scapegoat posted:

but it's not like they JDS / Cain days when there were no options for title fights.

my dude they just made an interim heavyweight title fight, i read it in a tweet about 2 minutes ago as i type this, and i can't name either of the people fighting for it and i'm a mostly detached ex fan. imagine a casual viewer

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CarlCX posted:

One judging point away from beating Tyson Fury. God drat, man.

by my card, the decision was correct by the rules of boxing. but i can say without hesitation that tyson loving fury just lost a boxing fight to francis ngannou

fury looked like absolute poo poo the entire night and if he rocks up like that to usyk he will be embarrassed. again.

ngannou's boxing was so far above what I was expecting that with fury looking like poo poo at the same time i spent the first couple of rounds wondering what the gently caress i was seeing. oh lord the knockdown.

honestly tho, even with fury looking like poo poo, ngannou boxed so well i would pay to see him fight any boxer in the top 10 and i will be getting a real loving fight. after floyd's sparring session with conor, that's wild. and exciting.

i hope francis kept the contract of the ufc's final offer and frames it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Francis pulled off the actual Rocky I fight, right down to it not mattering that technically Fury won.

holy poo poo lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Boxing is more prone to calling things a slip when ambiguity is involved, rightly and wrongly at times, because the impact of scoring a knockdown in boxing is much higher than MMA.

i think it's prescient to air on the side of not a knockdown, because if it was a legit knockdown, he doesn't get 10 seconds of space to get his legs to respond, and so returns to danger almost immediately.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

In all of the boxing vs MMA bullshit we've had to endure over the years, it's really strange to me that people still think MMA guys can't box at all.

i seriously used to think like you. i'd think to when i was training and like, yeah we work on our boxing regularly. watching askren and woodley box was shocking to me. i did not think it was possible to become nearly the best mixed martial arts in the world and look like that in a fight. i was embarrassed for the concept of mma. conor's effort was way, way less pathetic, but floyd absolutely tooled him.

what i missed was that i already had a boxing background. i knew a lot of technical aspects of boxing that was never, ever even touched on in an mma gym during boxing time.

i still can't explain francis looking that good in such a high pomp debut against that calibre of opponent. Actually, now that I think on it, his punches are so ridiculous it's actually a handicap in his favour to say that's all your allowed to do.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lid posted:

There is literally no way anyone involved in that is getting paid.

until the full total was sitting in an escrow service i wouldn't even board the plane lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

delightful posted:

Nate Diaz is shot but also is not an "expert level striker" lol. He and Nick spend more time slapping than throwing closed fist punches. I love the Diaz brothers but they are 2/3rds personality and 1/3rd talent.

nate diaz was the first one to beat conor, and he beat the loving poo poo out of him. either you mean that as a huge, huge compliment to their personality, or he is a pretty loving good striker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

delightful posted:

That's more an indictment of Conor. Got choked out by one half of the patty cake brothers.

Was always bad is classic.