Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Well if he didn't drag anyone else in there with him this time I guess that's progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hey now the fighters don't have to worry about guys coming to their homes at any hour, invading their privacy, and demanding to see their genitals or risk losing years of their already limited career.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Brut posted:

Yeah now they just have to worry about affording the best steroids while being severely underpaid by UFC.

This works fine in modern team sports (NBA, NFL, whatever) because those players are making a poo poo ton more money than UFC fighters and because the teams are also making money and can pay for/organize that poo poo, I don't think it's gonna work as well for the fighters making 12/12, it's just gonna entrench the veteran fighters who are making slightly more and more just due to having more fights with the company, so I hope you're all ready to enjoy the next generation of Sam Alveys.

No, now under USADA they have to afford the best gear to dodge the tests. Or have the money and connections to fight their suspensions in court through third party arbitration like Jon Jones and Yoel Romero did. Otherwise in the USADA system you're a Tom Lawlor who gets their career ended over popping for Ostarine while TJ Dillashaw has puff pieces about his grand comeback from getting busted for EPO.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

USADA was always bad, actually.

This, sincerely.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

drat, it's a good thing USADA cleaned up the sport and caught all those people then.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Scratching at the doors begging for piss like the zombies from Return of the Living Dead.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

I couldn’t find anything with a search, but I thought some prominent MMA gym’s members got caught with a poo poo ton of pills. I thought it was ATT but maybe I’m totally misremembering.

I vaguely remember this incident and I want to say it was connected to Jackson Wink and Eric Blasich, who Jon Jones alleges is the guy that gave him the boner pills that were laced with East German steroids.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Fozzy The Bear posted:

USADA is still around until the beginning of January

Speaking of, they haven't bothered to test Conor once yet since he's re-entered the pool.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

"Wooo I'm an insane man, kill or be killed! Just cuh-raaaazy... no not like that."

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Might as well share this over here too

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1715831031310287249?t=5U-KABl_grYJyaV74dJfRw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Marching Powder posted:

lol at the concept of this, will lol again if it's confirmed.

https://www.sportspolitika.news/p/ufc-abu-dhabi-dodging-sanctions-silencing

Karim Zidan posted:

After defending the UFC lightweight championship with a thunderous KO in the main event of UFC 294 in Abu Dhabi, Islam Makhachev opted not to celebrate the victory in solidarity with Palestine.

“I am not celebrating [the] win today because [of] the crazy things that are happening around the world. Palestine, we stand with you,” he said in a post-fight interview while carrying the Palestinian flag.

While the spectators at UFC 294 had the opportunity to witness Makhachev's act of solidarity, it remained concealed from others as the UFC chose to censor the clip on YouTube.

Makhachev was not the only fighter who had his pro-Palestine statements censored. The UFC edited out a statement of solidarity from British-Dagestani fighter Muhammed Mokaev, who called for peace in the region.

-----

“When you look at the UFC, we’re truly a global business. People from all over the world face things that other people would never understand,” White said in 2020 amidst global unrest over the Covid-19 pandemic and protests following the murder of George Floyd. “To have the ability to tell people, ‘You can’t express yourself,’ whether it’s anger, happiness, fear – it’s crazy. We would never do that. We’d never try to do that.”

In contrast, the UFC did not censor Brazilian fighter Michel Pereira, who came out for his fight draped in an Israeli flag and voiced his support for the state following the Hamas attack. Nevertheless, when fighters expressed solidarity with Palestine a week later, their support was scraped from the UFC’s various platforms.