Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I want to see Volk move up to 155 for real, i think he’d beat makhachrv if he wasn’t splitting divisions and bulked up a little.

This is the opposite of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Looks like Usman is being lined up as a replacement for Costa. I don’t think a card has ever failed upwards like this before.

UFC 279 also featuring Khamzat

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lucasar posted:

Most of the opinions I've encountered online seem to really like Volkanovski's chances this weekend.

I just rewatched the first fight, and I feel that Makhachev has the easier adjustments to make. What's more, Volk's best successes came as a result of his fitness and pace in later rounds, neither of which can be helped by his recent surgery nor the short notice.

It's MMA so it's hard to be too sure, but I'm having a hard time picturing the Volkanovski win so many others seem to be. Volk's got a lot of intangibles and seems like a cool guy, but I feel like the fight is going to be noticeably less competitive than the first.

Short notice generally makes fights way more volatile and less predictable. I could see it going either way, Makhachev may have the easier adjustments but he won and has been prepping for someone else so he may not have been working on those adjustments. Volk's mid-fight adjustments were paying off even before Makhachev started flagging, and he should come into the fight with a better read.

However with all the circumstances I lean towards Makhachev winning. I'm way less excited for the fight than I would be if Volkanovski was fully prepared for the rematch and committed to moving up.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ngannou's big boxing payday is starting now. I hope he lands something other than the millions of dollars he's taking home. It will be very funny if he lands even one good punch, not that I expect it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ngannou looks better against Fury than many boxers have.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HELL YES THERE'S MY PUNCH

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

CarlCX posted:

Ngannou seems like he's running out of gas real fast.

Sadly yeah. But I'm incredibly happy he's made it a real fight.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Fury is slowing too now

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Ngannou is beating him up now

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Fury rallied enough that round that I think he was really hurt in 8.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Francis Ngannou is a loving king and hopefully this just made him a superstar.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Split decision with the final card being 95-94. Ngannou got the knockdown and I think he also hurt Fury in round 8. That's unbelievable, he took a dominant HW champ to the absolute limit in his first fight in the sport.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Time to see if PFL has any promotional muscle to push Ngannou into being a crossover star.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

an extremely roided youtuber half the age of the former draws he's paying very well to take fights with no professional upside, but otherwise ^^^^^

don't forget anyone who isn't absolutely ancient is naturally 40 pounds lighter

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

As much as you want to poo poo on Jake Paul for being roided to the gills (fair) and having the money and resources to be boxing training full time (also fair), a late starting semi-professional boxer wouldn't have the chance to stand up to someone like expert level MMA strikers like Anderson Silva or Nate Diaz, even with them past their primes, in boxing unless the training he was receiving was of a standard significantly above the boxing required for MMA.

Nate Diaz is shot and naturally 165 or 170 lb. He'd get outstruck by plenty of semi-profressional MWs or LHWs in MMA too. Silva was 47, possibly same for him.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

delightful posted:

Nate Diaz is shot but also is not an "expert level striker" lol. He and Nick spend more time slapping than throwing closed fist punches. I love the Diaz brothers but they are 2/3rds personality and 1/3rd talent.

I think Nate Diaz was one of the better MMA boxers during his prime at LW in 2011-2015, his glaring holes were always wrestling and kicking.

His 1-2 was fantastic and he covered both his entries and exits, despite how slow and flat his feet were he did a lot of small adjustment steps with good distance management and smart angles (he was notably one of the best at working the inside angle from Southpaw), he had a strong inside and phonebooth game.

He was somewhat hitable but it was a lot less than people think. When people got the better of him on the feet it was generally very temporarily or by stopping the boxing with other tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I think that's besides the point when the discussion is around them transitioning to boxing.