Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Volk owns, will definitely watch that fight replay as soon as it's up on something that doesn't give Dana White money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cutting the entire anti doping mechanism to give Conor a prayer of winning is utterly incredible

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Imagine how amazing it would be if Chandler knocks Conor out, pays for USADA to come to the cage, takes the test during his winners interview and it comes back clean

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CarlCX posted:

Mekchu wants the discord to go in a different direction and asked that it be taken off SA.

Obviously not directed at you Carl but gently caress me this is one of the most fart huffing sentences I've ever read.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't make out a single word Usman is saying in that video, therefore I should go on twitter and insist he said nothing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Volkanowski is so good that he could win any fight in any realistic weight class. He's so good that he's hard to prepare for with a full fight camp, never mind a week. You can easily make a case that he's the GOAT 145'er in a division where the other contenders for that title are all time greats themselves.

Islam is also incredibly good, he'd have lost the first time if not, and the best way to prepare for someone is to have fought them before.

I fancy Islam to take the W because he was the one ready for a fight going in, is the bigger man and will have learned from the last fight but this being a short notice fight, I don't think an Islam W kills interest in a third fight where Alex can prepare with a full camp against Islam and Alex winning sets up a third regardless.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

i seriously think if volk volunteered for this fight then he is healthy and fight fit and he absolutely has a plan to gently caress islam up. i refuse to believe he'd just volunteer to embarrass himself for absolutely no reason. if that's exactly what he did tho, because this is mma, lol.

Volk is so good that if he wasn't injured, he could take a fight on a literal minutes notice and not come out of it embarrassed tbh

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe he's fishing for pics as proof

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The new UFC game looks hella poo poo

Islam Makhachev owns, UFC gently caress you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I approached Stipe Miocic for his reaction to the news and he said the following

"Rlghshahh haggahh bllyrgl"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm guessing they offered Stipe an easy interim title fight so he could have a belt for when they remake the Bones fight next year to put some shine on it as though unification means anything and he told them to gently caress off.

Also no one wants to see Bones versus Pavlovich or Aspinall so when Jones is back and they set him back up with Miocic, it further under values their interim title. 10/10 business decision really.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

moctopus posted:

I do not care about Jones v Stipe in 2023 at all.

It's the only even remotely interesting fight Jones has in the division now Ngannou is out getting paid and like you say, it's not especially easy to care for. Ngannou Jones was only interesting because the chances of Jones getting violently switched off was in the realm of possibility, even if very unlikely.

If they were to give Derrick a red panty night against Jones I'd be okay with that though. Especially if he Derrick Lewis'd and won somehow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

coathat posted:

How is stipe the only interesting fight for jones? Do you think he's cleared out the division with a single fight?

Heavyweight is in a very bad state

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Scapegoat posted:

It's not though, Jones has fought one guy in the top 5, I'd like to see him fight all the others with Stipe probably being the least interesting fight given his age. Yes the division still has a bunch of fat one trick ponies but it's not like they JDS / Cain days when there were no options for title fights.

My contention is not that Bones has cleared the division, it's that the division has few fighters that provide any level of challenge to Jones that would make for an interesting fight. Aspinall makes news articles here in England cos he's British, that's the only reason I could name him at all. Pavlovich's record is not like abysmal, but he also has a total of zero takedowns landed and a 75% takedown defense. He's not got the Ngannou punch of death, he's not a wrestling threat. What's he gonna bring to the table against a big long eye poking dirty fighter like Jon Jones who is gonna take his eye out of its socket and then trip him and choke him like he's a toddler.

Stipe at least has an exceptional winning record, is well rounded, and has trained himself against body shots by eating gravel.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 26, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jon Jones Vs an actual toddler would be a better watch if anything. Most people wouldn't attack a child, but Jon Jones would punt that thing over the cage.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

One of the worst things about Jones is that he's actually as good as he thinks he is, and has been for basically his entire career.

Conor is the same, but Conor was only as good as he thinks he is in the Eddie Alvarez fight, and that fight alone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Peak Max would have the cardio and chin to weather the storm with Conor and put him away. Volk dictates every minute of a fight with Conor.

An actual fight with Aldo would have been ridiculously interesting. It's extremely iconic and changed MMA forever, but that KO denied us what could have been an all time great fight. Ifs, buts and maybe and all that.

If Conor stuck to 145, he'd still have dropped two to Dustin, probably have a torrid time with Edgar and in my headcanon, he loses to TKZ.

Conor was real loving good though, don't get me wrong

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As if you needed more proof that the UFC would make more money by paying its fighters more.
You literally cannot design a more marketable fighter than Francis Ngannou. He looks like he was carved out of marble, seems to be a nice dude and knocks people flat. You can make a better fighter but it's different.
Dana's hella dumb

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Promoter of right wing propaganda

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Boxing is more prone to calling things a slip when ambiguity is involved, rightly and wrongly at times, because the impact of scoring a knockdown in boxing is much higher than MMA.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

As much as you want to poo poo on Jake Paul for being roided to the gills (fair) and having the money and resources to be boxing training full time (also fair), a late starting semi-professional boxer wouldn't have the chance to stand up to someone like expert level MMA strikers like Anderson Silva or Nate Diaz, even with them past their primes, in boxing unless the training he was receiving was of a standard significantly above the boxing required for MMA.

Ngannou looking that good? I would assume it's part Fury being rusty, age catching up to him somewhat, not taking it as seriously as he should have leading in, part Ngannou knowing he's not getting taken down in this fight so he can have more comfort in his striking than in MMA, part Ngannou having elite level boxing training for a long while because you need that for facing the legitimate best heavyweight in boxing in the world right now, part Ngannou not being an old fighter overall in the ringworn sense and part Ngannou having a natural aptiude for fighting and just having the instinct needed to strike well. The punch power of course is a nightmare and as an opponent, it must always be playing on your mind.

I can't imagine the likes of Deontay Wilder or Anthony Joshua seeing the fight last night and confidently thinking they can get in on the cash train and try to do their own fights against Ngannou for a big payday. They're still significantly skilled boxers and could very conceiveably outbox him, but that fire power of his is just terrifying and I don't know if they're beating a ten count.

Either way, a rematch between Fury and Ngannou should be in MMA gloves. :getin:

Marching Powder posted:

conor's effort was way, way less pathetic, but floyd absolutely tooled him.

Also this, Floyd was absolutely never in any danger against Conor and it went absolutely to Floyd's script. Anyone who might tell you that Conor was in it and actually had a chance is either parroting Conor's delusions about the fight since then or knows nothing about boxing.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 29, 2023

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Speaking of Nate Diaz, Muhammad Ali has his moveset in UFC 5 almost 1:1. They might have took the stockton slaps and kicks off of him, but the punches are the exact same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

Couldn’t EA have just used the mocap from Fight Night? I guess that’s slightly less lazy.

Mike Tyson is also generally generic in UFC 5 but he was in UFC 2 and had unique animations that made him actually feel like Tyson, so y'know, they give increasingly less fucks.