Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which ghost of MMA still haunts you?
This poll is closed.
Nick Diaz 1 3.57%
Chuck Liddell 5 17.86%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Matt Serra 2 7.14%
Matt Serra 0 0%
Oh no you said his name three times 8 28.57%
Run 1 3.57%
RUN 11 39.29%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Most of the opinions I've encountered online seem to really like Volkanovski's chances this weekend.

I just rewatched the first fight, and I feel that Makhachev has the easier adjustments to make. What's more, Volk's best successes came as a result of his fitness and pace in later rounds, neither of which can be helped by his recent surgery nor the short notice.

It's MMA so it's hard to be too sure, but I'm having a hard time picturing the Volkanovski win so many others seem to be. Volk's got a lot of intangibles and seems like a cool guy, but I feel like the fight is going to be noticeably less competitive than the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

CommonShore posted:

The way I encourage people to think about it is that the fastest NFL running backs are some of the fastest people in the world, but they're not winning Olympic gold in the 100m.

Boxing habits will get you in trouble in MMA, and MMA striking habits will get you in trouble in boxing. That Francis adjusted those habits to hang with the world champ was possibly the most impressive thing he has ever done.

I remember when Conor fought Floyd that Conor's footwork would often end up with him behind Floyd, which, in an MMA ruleset, is a very advantageous position to be in. In boxing this is basically useless since there aren't a lot of legal attacks you can launch from directly behind somebody.

Not needing to calculate for kicking range, takedowns, and elbow range etc would just naturally change your concept of footwork and pacing. Even if your punching and guard are technically correct from all your serious boxing training, learning where to move and when it is or isn't your turn to go would be the kind of thing experience is the best teacher for. Positions and postures and timing which are safe in one discipline are dangerous in the other, and that is something you need to be subconsciously aware of rather than merely trained to recognize.

I think being at heavyweight here helps; the timing windows are bigger due to the fighters being slower, the positional rules are simpler due to the targets and openings being physically larger, and the rewards for landing successfully are more obvious and granular due to the greater power per punch.