Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

the scene where she gets arrested for leaving her house with her hair uncoveres was really harrowing

that super was yeh, especially in the middle of an air raid. some people are fuckin psychos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I rewatched In the Mouth of Madness last night. I agree about it being Carpenter's last great movie. I feel like it gets overlooked sometimes when people talk about him just because he set the bar so high with the movies he put out in the 80s. The practical effects still look great, there's a ton of great character actors, and some really clever camera shots.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
it looks and feels exactly like a 90s fmv game

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

first movie down in the form of Phantasm. didnt know what to expect going into it but it felt purely like the 70s in the stilted acting, overindulgent special effects, and ethereal and proggy soundtrack, and i really enjoyed it because of that. had no idea if i was supposed to laugh at the parts i laughed at (one of the Jawas running at Mike and the sudden camera cut to him screaming and sprinting past Jody having graveyard sex, the slo-mo shot of the Tall Man strolling down the sidewalk, "Are you sure it wasn't that retarded kid Timmy from down the street?", etc) but they helped balance out the horror shlock. was almost soured by the ending but the last-minute save of the Tall Man turning out to be real and dragging Mike through the window pivoted it. great, campy flick

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
listening to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqnNlsgcUQ as i write up what i thought about phantom of the paradise

i liked it, i thought it was very creative and had a lot of great effects

the plot was simultaneously simple yet interwoven with some twists and turns that kept things interesting

winslow was a cool character, i liked how he could hulk out as part of a defining character trait, just rage incarnate, it made him more than just a victim, there were times i felt bad for the villain having winslow on his rear end

the villain, swan, is also cool, all i know his actor from outside of this is dexters lab, there was a musical episode where he taught dexter to mix his passion for science with the creativity of music

but here he plays the shadiest son of a bitch music executive ive ever seen, a real bastard, and it was neat to see his range compared to his good guy outing in dexters lab

here are some spoilers of stuff i liked

i really liked the scene where swan has winslow hooked up to his voice box and the recording studio, it was fun seeing swan mix winslow's voice back into existence and i liked how modulated it sounded

i also loved a lot of shots of winslow, the way his eye peeps out of the mask set up some really emotional scenes and it was interesting how much he could emote with that hunk of junk on his head covering up most of his face

the gay singer guy, beef, was also a more comedic highlight, for what was sort of set up on the amazon video page as a comedy, id say beef had the scenes that made me laugh the hardest, there was otherwise just some sensible chuckles at most

but this comedy is mostly played pretty straight for how outlandish and stylized it is

if there was one thing i didnt like it was how many loving hard cuts there were in the finale, it was dizzying how the editing was, i get it was going for a certain level of energy but the constant hard cuts all over the place was making me go crosseyed

kickass thanks for suggesting roth

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

listening to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqnNlsgcUQ as i write up what i thought about phantom of the paradise

i liked it, i thought it was very creative and had a lot of great effects

the plot was simultaneously simple yet interwoven with some twists and turns that kept things interesting

winslow was a cool character, i liked how he could hulk out as part of a defining character trait, just rage incarnate, it made him more than just a victim, there were times i felt bad for the villain having winslow on his rear end

the villain, swan, is also cool, all i know his actor from outside of this is dexters lab, there was a musical episode where he taught dexter to mix his passion for science with the creativity of music

but here he plays the shadiest son of a bitch music executive ive ever seen, a real bastard, and it was neat to see his range compared to his good guy outing in dexters lab

here are some spoilers of stuff i liked

i really liked the scene where swan has winslow hooked up to his voice box and the recording studio, it was fun seeing swan mix winslow's voice back into existence and i liked how modulated it sounded

i also loved a lot of shots of winslow, the way his eye peeps out of the mask set up some really emotional scenes and it was interesting how much he could emote with that hunk of junk on his head covering up most of his face

the gay singer guy, beef, was also a more comedic highlight, for what was sort of set up on the amazon video page as a comedy, id say beef had the scenes that made me laugh the hardest, there was otherwise just some sensible chuckles at most

but this comedy is mostly played pretty straight for how outlandish and stylized it is

if there was one thing i didnt like it was how many loving hard cuts there were in the finale, it was dizzying how the editing was, i get it was going for a certain level of energy but the constant hard cuts all over the place was making me go crosseyed

kickass thanks for suggesting roth

Beef absolutely steals the movie lol. Gerrit Graham ftw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

symbolic posted:

first movie down in the form of Phantasm. didnt know what to expect going into it but it felt purely like the 70s in the stilted acting, overindulgent special effects, and ethereal and proggy soundtrack, and i really enjoyed it because of that. had no idea if i was supposed to laugh at the parts i laughed at (one of the Jawas running at Mike and the sudden camera cut to him screaming and sprinting past Jody having graveyard sex, the slo-mo shot of the Tall Man strolling down the sidewalk, "Are you sure it wasn't that retarded kid Timmy from down the street?", etc) but they helped balance out the horror shlock. was almost soured by the ending but the last-minute save of the Tall Man turning out to be real and dragging Mike through the window pivoted it. great, campy flick

You’re definitely supposed to laugh at those parts, don coscarelli is big on mixing horror and dumb comedy

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

watched phantom of the paradise for the first time in a decade, good stuff. beef steals the show

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

also added bram stoker's dracula to the list. francis ford coppola goes hog wild

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Joey McChrist posted:

also added bram stoker's dracula to the list. francis ford coppola goes hog wild

oh hell yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Joey McChrist posted:

such a sick movie

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

great choice

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

not on the docket but watched the original Halloween tonight and it's still a classic. carried by every shot of Michael with the synth score but still drat tense, especially the scenes w/ the fake ghost and Jamie Lee Curtis desperately trying to get back into the house as it cuts to him getting closer and closer. buenísimo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Scream Factory and Arrow sales in the spirit of the thread

https://shoutfactory.com/pages/shocktober-sale
https://www.arrowvideo.com/campaigns/shocktober.list

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
started w/ my own submission in videodrome, since id never seen it b4

im so loving sick of "is this part real? is this part imagined? oOoOoOOooOOOoouUUuh" movies and this one is even worse bc of the insanely dated vhs poo poo. i get it, it was made in 1983, but im watching it in 2023. sry

it was kind of interesting at the start, i liked some of the shots and the special effects were cool (gotta love practical, baby), but idc that much about body horror or this kind of hackily done "psychological" horror and u combine the two and its a cocktail made to piss me off, bore me and/or have me groaning for over half of it

almost dont want to put this into spoiler tags cause i want to warn ppl ab it. i feel bad i put this on the list

scary score: 2/5
score: 2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Joey McChrist posted:

Solid

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Fucker posted:

im so loving sick of "is this part real? is this part imagined? oOoOoOOooOOOoouUUuh" movies and this one is even worse bc of the insanely dated vhs poo poo. i get it, it was made in 1983, but im watching it in 2023. sry

it was kind of interesting at the start, i liked some of the shots and the special effects were cool (gotta love practical, baby), but idc that much about body horror or this kind of hackily done "psychological" horror and u combine the two and its a cocktail made to piss me off, bore me and/or have me groaning for over half of it

almost dont want to put this into spoiler tags cause i want to warn ppl ab it. i feel bad i put this on the list

You're so gay dude

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Roth posted:

You're so gay dude

lmao ofc ud like it

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fucker posted:

stop watching movies. gently caress you

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
more like videogroan

suck my dick

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i bought a phantasm movie collection since ive only seen the first few and ill be watching them over this week (and halloween sometime too) and then doing videodrome or whatever got up fuckers butt because now im curious lol

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
yeah phantasm is still epic

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

don't worry brother, i'll be watchin this rear end tonight. trip report when im done of course but solidarity

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

you are retarded

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I watched Videodrome and Prince of Darkness back to back tonight. Great poo poo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

went right to bed after watching Videodrome but i think that helped me ruminate on just how insane it was and how layered the symbolism and allusions were. the freaky body horror Cronenberg stuff was sick but i really latched onto what the movie was trying to convey. it was kinda giving me Network vibes about how television can destroy you but on a much more horrific (and pretty much literal at points lol) level and gets really amplified by Max progressively breaking down more and more where by the end you're pretty much wondering if being brainwashed against Videodrome was any better than being brainwashed for them since the latter absolutely would've ended with an untimely death to become part of the new flesh anyways. i kinda want to rewatch it again already to pick apart stuff i missed, which is pretty much some of the best praise i can give a movie. long live the new flesh, and again,

symbolic posted:

you are retarded

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Watched In the Mouth of Madness while working from home, and it's a really cool movie. Couldn't tell if Sam Neill was supposed to have an accent, forgot he was supposed to have an accent, or maybe he switched in and out on purpose. Highly recommend it.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I'm watching high noon right now and the part where he leaves his office while stuffing his pocket with his special stars to go find out if anyone will be his friend is cracking me the gently caress up, this movie rules.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

It is a horror movie from Marshall Kane's perspective

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

It is a horror movie from Marshall Kane's perspective

lol whoops

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://twitter.com/sapphicspielbrg/status/1711398718967005367?s=20

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

herculon posted:

Watched In the Mouth of Madness while working from home, and it's a really cool movie. Couldn't tell if Sam Neill was supposed to have an accent, forgot he was supposed to have an accent, or maybe he switched in and out on purpose. Highly recommend it.

love the editing in this movie too.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watched Killer Klowns and i was not expecting it to have such high production values for such a low-rent concept. they really went overboard with the set dressing and it had one extremely sick matte painting. fun movie, got a couple good laughs, and the evil circus soundtrack was pretty good

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I just watched phantasm. What the hell was that? Lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

I just watched phantasm. What the hell was that? Lmao

it was kino

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok got some time to watch horror movies and rolled suspiria, lets goo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

After a week and a half of prevarication and indecision I had a Eureka moment this morning and added Dog Soldiers (2002) to the list. A platoon of British Army soldiers on a training exercise in the Scottish Highlands get ambushed by werewolves, a very fun film with good performances from Kevin McKidd, Liam Cunningham, and Sean Pertwee, and a good mix of scares, action, and humor. Streaming on Hulu, Shudder, and Tubi and available for rental on all the usual rental services.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq4fS3V6cig

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 11, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

suspiria kicks rear end, incredible sets, wild music, really fuckin good italian gore. its cool that its not sleazy the way a lot of italian horror flicks from the time are, its set at a 90% girls school, theres like three guys in the whole thing, and theres not one topless scene or piece of exploitation. creepy poo poo, seriously love all the colors and the way the score goes between zero and 100 constantly. really fun pick. goood choice symbo

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can get why the slow pace of Prince of Darkness might be a turn off but this movie rips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Roth posted:

I can get why the slow pace of Prince of Darkness might be a turn off but this movie rips

it's good. my favorite two things:. the dreams are based. 2) the priest casually one hands an epic axe throw in climax