Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

trying to jack off posted:

turns out i have powers over the subforums as well lol

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

blair witch 99. great flick, incredibly suspenseful. they really do so much poo poo with so little, master class in economical filmmaking

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Wicker Man - The first time I saw this movie I was expecting something a lot more like the movies Christopher Lee was starring in for Hammer. I'm always blown away by just how unique the vibe of this movie is. The music is great. I love how the protagonist is a grumpy rear end in a top hat while all the townsfolk are super friendly even though they refuse to cooperate with his investigation. The ending is wild. I especially like the inversion of morality a lot of horror movies go for. If he had slept with the Innkeeper's daughter when she tried to seduce him he would no longer have been a suitable sacrifice.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

rodbeard posted:

Wicker Man - The first time I saw this movie I was expecting something a lot more like the movies Christopher Lee was starring in for Hammer. I'm always blown away by just how unique the vibe of this movie is. The music is great. I love how the protagonist is a grumpy rear end in a top hat while all the townsfolk are super friendly even though they refuse to cooperate with his investigation. The ending is wild. I especially like the inversion of morality a lot of horror movies go for. If he had slept with the Innkeeper's daughter when she tried to seduce him he would no longer have been a suitable sacrifice.

Feeling absolute comraderie with Christopher Lee as he calls the detective a dumb virgin

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
The Thing
Wonderful movie. Absolute legend. Fantastic pace. So many others with the same concept I feel would have a terrible lull in the middle. This never stops ratcheting up the tension.

Prince of Darkness

rodbeard posted:

Prince of Darkness - I rewatched In the Mouth of Madness first because I felt this movie covered many of the same themes better. The acting from the grad students is kind of weak, but Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong absolutely steal the show as a priest and a scientist having a discussion on the nature of evil while Satan is actively trying to bring about the apocalypse around them. Another amazing synth soundtrack. The dream sequence is great. Alice Cooper brought his own special effects with him for his cameo.

I agree with these. But I did really like the laughing man as well. The fact it affected every character a little different was very exciting. The concept of the dream stuff 100% works and is cool but on paper I think most would say it doesn't fit in with the rest of it, so I'm quite glad it's there. The confluence of science and religion without ever falling into some corny 'you just need faith' type narrative is great, stating instead there are things we cannot explain yet even if we have record of them, even tying that back to why religion would hide it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

drat i gotta watch prince of darkness

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

drat i gotta watch prince of darkness

U do

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wawtched The Thing (1982) for maybe the dozenth time, its absolutely a triumph of filmmaking. the talent involved in this film was immense and everyone was firing on all cylnders. love it, two thumbs up, twelve bags of popcorn etc. etc.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it doesnt look like a movie shot in 82 just the camerawork alone is way ahead of its time

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

wawtched The Thing (1982) for maybe the dozenth time, its absolutely a triumph of filmmaking. the talent involved in this film was immense and everyone was firing on all cylnders. love it, two thumbs up, twelve bags of popcorn etc. etc.

hell yeah. amazing movie

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Bram Stoker's Dracula. A masterpiece. Can't believe I've never seen it before. Great special effects, fantastic performances from everyone involved (aside from Keanu's attempt at a British accent that sometimes made me have to stifle laughter but accent aside I think he still did pretty good), I really liked how many actors, particularly Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, kind of danced right up to the line of hammy overacting but never crossed it so it's fun but still has gravity and can be taken seriously. Lots of incredible visuals, a handful of favorites being the silhouette battle and the renunciation of God at the beginning, the scene transition fading from the protective ring of fire to the sun, absolutely everything about the confrontation with Vampire Lucy.

I also appreciated how closely it stuck to the novel, obviously no adaptation ever perfectly matches the source material and the movie added its own spin to the story, but I love the book and it was cool to see it adapted so faithfully now that Dracula's kind of a stock character that's transcended the original novel.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Also I guess it goes with my comment about its faithfulness to the book but I love that it included Quincey, who's generally been forgotten since he didn't make it into the Bela Lugosi movie

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

couldn't agree more

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

Also I guess it goes with my comment about its faithfulness to the book but I love that it included Quincey, who's generally been forgotten since he didn't make it into the Bela Lugosi movie

lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and fell into a pit of barbed wire... again :rolleyes:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dog soldiers. pretty sweet movie, good poo poo. some of tghe dialogue got pretty corny at th end and i fuckin hate shakycam but it was a solid hook and i'm a sucker for a drawn-out last stand. good pick chuck. sean pertwee and the dude who played vorenus ftw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Suspiria

absolutely loved it. knew going with a pick i haven't seen before might've been a gamble but i felt like i hit the jackpot, just a completely hauntingly beautiful display of set design and art direction. feels so much more vibrant compared to other horror movies around that time, and the score gets unreal and pretty deranged. not as much gore as i thought but every kill felt like it had weight to it, and even then whoever said that "bad vibes" might be the main villain was completely right, just so many scenes that feel "off" that rachet up the tension. ungodly good movie in general, let alone horror movie

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Wicker Man

a third folk songs/hymns at 200% volume, a third topless women, and a third Edward Woodward losing his cool and his mind. extremely powerful film especially once May Day begins, and i hate the Nic Cage version i watched in college so much more in retrospect. Woodward at the end going from pride of being a Christian, to unreciprocated rationalizing, to pure terror, and finally shaky, begrudging acceptance is gonna linger with me i feel. truly terrifying film with next to no blood, gore, and death

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

The Wicker Man

a third folk songs/hymns at 200% volume, a third topless women, and a third Edward Woodward losing his cool and his mind. extremely powerful film especially once May Day begins, and i hate the Nic Cage version i watched in college so much more in retrospect. Woodward at the end going from pride of being a Christian, to unreciprocated rationalizing, to pure terror, and finally shaky, begrudging acceptance is gonna linger with me i feel. truly terrifying film with next to no blood, gore, and death

ending is just fuckin haunting. absolutely kickass movie

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In the Mouth of Madness

I liked this well enough but too much of it is Sam Neill seeing something weird and raising his eyebrow and just moving on. This man would have zero issues seeing a squirrel t-posing. Once it really gets rolling and he understands he's in some poo poo, then it's really genuinely great, but it takes a while.

If you're gonna hire someone to constantly raise their eyebrow, Sam Neill is a drat good pick for the role.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

elf help book posted:

In the Mouth of Madness

I liked this well enough but too much of it is Sam Neill seeing something weird and raising his eyebrow and just moving on. This man would have zero issues seeing a squirrel t-posing. Once it really gets rolling and he understands he's in some poo poo, then it's really genuinely great, but it takes a while.

If you're gonna hire someone to constantly raise their eyebrow, Sam Neill is a drat good pick for the role.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

In the Mouth of Madness

lol

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

elf help book posted:

In the Mouth of Madness

He's a gamer

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Punished Chuck posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Return of the Living Dead

very very fun. The whole maniac mansion crew is good.

the army agent just calmly taking notes at the end fuckin killed me

Candyman (My own pick)

Man I love this movie

pinning the kills on helen, the fact that it ends with that repeating
the idea of legends perpetrating themselves, candyman needing to kill to keep up belief in him
the idea of a real person entering legend and becoming immortal, even if the legend isnt factual. we start learning the candyman lore, that he was killed for loving a white woman, and even before helen dies she's already entering legend tied to him and is shown as that woman from a century earlier

the psychiatrist fakeout and then kill actually happening

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tony todd ftw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

also watched candyman tonight. i've seen it a few times (most memorably when i was 7 and it made me afraid to look in a mirror for a bit lmao). really smart and cutting film, and downright uncomfortable to watch at points. really love this one.

Fungah! posted:

tony todd ftw

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

elf help book posted:

Candyman (My own pick)

Man I love this movie

pinning the kills on helen, the fact that it ends with that repeating
the idea of legends perpetrating themselves, candyman needing to kill to keep up belief in him
the idea of a real person entering legend and becoming immortal, even if the legend isnt factual. we start learning the candyman lore, that he was killed for loving a white woman, and even before helen dies she's already entering legend tied to him and is shown as that woman from a century earlier

the psychiatrist fakeout and then kill actually happening

the scene when she gets processed into jail is so horrific. candyman is such a great villain, operatic and romantic but a total bastard

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

lmfao

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
rolled one last time :rolldice: and landed on Dog Soldiers

had no idea what it was gonna be ab. turns out its british predator w/ werewolves.

the main positive is that the script was good. generic but still p clever and fun. i like the british banter. also, the sergeant was great.

the negatives are that it looks horrible, the wolves look silly as hell and the editing is the 2000s at their worst w/ all the loving jumpcuts. also, they could have probably cut it out to at least an hour and 20 or something. why is it so loving long?

laughed hard at the newspaper in the credits

better than videodrome

scary score: 2/5
score: 2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
the dice were nice and didnt land on anything that made me 2 scared. a nice comfy halloween this year

thanks for the epic sig el spider

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i'm doing a scary movie night thing on monday: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4045927

mr. vampire and encounter of the spooky kind

:3: