Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

first time watching Videodrome (1983) and it loving owns. this is only the second "classic" cronenberg I've seen after Teh Fly and I want to just jump into watching Existenz or Dead Ringers or smth. loved the special effects, loved the conspiracy thriller mixed with surreal horror plot. just all around fun movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

in the mouth of madness. still love it, sam neill pwns. it kind of grinds for a bit when they get to the town but otherwise great atmosphere and a good slowly building sense of insanity. last great john carpenter flick imo

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
finishing up w/ the big epic finale :worship:
thanks to herculon for submitting this.
and im gonna have to do the shopping list thing for this one, cause, yeah

Rewatched The Thing

if you have somehow never seen this movie and know little to nothing ab it, dont u loving dare mouse over the spoilers. and go watch it b4 the month is over biotch :jihad::jihad::jihad:

-apparently one of the few things john carpenter used from all the poo poo ennio morricone gave him is the main theme. it gets used multiple times and it hits hard every time. quality over quantity
-the rest of the soundtrack that john carpenter composed is epic as well, howemstever
-the beginning is so effective. it really makes you wonder wtf is happening and why tf theres a guy in a helicopter shooting a drat dog and how that relates to the ovni flying around, and then why the camera keeps following this dog along. and why is the dog so undoglike?
-on that note, if you understand norwegian, you have that guy at the start spoil you like half the concept of the movie by saying that the dog isnt actually a dog but something imitating one. huge pwnage on all the norwegian watchers. thank god im not one of them :newlol:
-every single character in this movie owns, no matter how small a role they have, and their all intelligent ppl trying to deal with an unexplainable phenomenon in their own ways, more horror movies need to be like this
-the gore and puppets are insanely impressive even to this day, over 40 years later. htf did they do it
-28 minutes in, we finally find out wtf is wrong w/ the dog. barely a quarter of the way in and poo poo is just getting started. this movie is so fkn epic
-like all good horror movies, it has some good jumpscares in them. the two really memorable ones being the defribilator and blood scenes.
-so much cool poo poo is left vague on purpose to try to figure out. how self aware and smart is The Thing? its clearly doing deception on purpose, but it also immediately gets caught at the start in the kennel, so it cant be that brilliant. can it speak or are the copies thinking and speaking for themselves, not aware of what they are until The Things baby brain feels the need to take over? wtf was that screech it did in the snow? was it cause it was no longer imitating anything? did The Thing know it was gonna get a heart attack? did it understand the defribilator was trying to save it or did it think it was an attack like the burning of the blood? when exactly does blair get infected and does it relate to the suspicious unmentioned noose he has in his prison cabin? him breaking poo poo makes sense both as The Thing (not wanting outside help to come in) and blair (not wanting more infection targets to get there). was blair building a space ship cause he was The Thing or was it just weird cabin fever? the only time we know hes The Thing for sure is when we see him infecting other ppl, and he doesnt say a line there. is it cause he doesnt need to or cause he cant? also, did the spaceship that crashed belong to The Thing or did it belong to some other aliens that got hosed up by The Thing? :tinfoil:
-the huge flaw of the movie is the final battle in the mines. hella anticlimatic. and the movie is not interesting when its mcready fighting just a gross big monster and blowing him up. thats not what makes the movie epic
-the actual ending of the movie w/ mcready and childs more than makes up for it, tho. its iconic
-lots of fan speculation on the ending and what it means. john carpenter himself has said different poo poo over the years, including supposedly that childs was meant to be The Thing and that it was gonna lead to a sequel (the movie bombed and was pwned by all the critics cause ppl are retards, so that was cancelled, but maybe its for the best). ill always use death of the author 2 my advantage and go w/ the theory that makes for the coolest ending: The Thing actually was blown up in the mine and completely killed, both mcready and childs are the last two living normal human beings in the base, and after the movie ends, they both die freezing and insanely paranoid of one another the whole way through. the world is safe but all these ppl got hosed. badass loving ending :black101:

this is definitely the best horror movie i have ever seen, and one of the best movies ive ever seen in general, if not the best. god tier

scary score: 3/5 (too cool to be truly insanely scary, but still p scary on first watch imo)
score: 5/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Re-watched The Wicker Man.

Such a great movie. I love how they play with the idea of the movie "good guy", like yeah he's supposed to solve the crime or whatever, but he's also self-righteous and stubborn to a critical fault. It ends up being less about good vs. evil and more just a culture clash of extremes. This always stands out to me as such a genius narrative angle. Also the lady just doin' her little dance and slappin' her belly and stuff to tease him from the next room cracks me up every time lol. This movie does so much with so little, it's super impressive.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Just finished prince of darkness. Not what I was expecting. Wierd vibe and pacing, kinda same-y throughout the movie but it totally worked with the story. This script though, oof. So many clunker lines and some rough performances didn't help. I love the concept though, and making every character the "cool" scientist archetype is a pretty funny choice. Great effects and a fun watch all in all. I had never heard of this movie before bbv so thanks for the pick!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In the Mouth of Madness

this was extremely fuckin insane and inventive and it genuinely might rival The Thing for me, at least out of the Carpenter i've watched so far. if it was anyone other than him at the helm or if it was made later than it was i feel like it would've been way too up its own rear end with the metanarrative or try to play it too much as satire, but as it is i think it stuck the landing real well with the mindfuckery. could've seen the ending coming from a mile away but it was still drat effective, stellar practical effects too as expected. i get why Sam Neill was a stupid rear end in a top hat for so long even if it grated on me, but he did well in the end. just superb all around, glad i managed to eke this one in before the end of the month

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren:LAST DAY:siren:

get em in!

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

I hadn't seen Bram Stoker's Dracula before but I'd heard good things about it (Keanu Reeves' performance aside). The cinematography, score, costumes, set design, makeup, and special effects were sumptuous to say the least. I love how Dracula's castle resembled a man in a seated position, as a neat visual metaphor for his immortality. Oldman's performance was eminently good; he really played it to the hilt and had a lot of fun in the role. The atmosphere was eerie and disturbing. Some editing was a little too frenetic and I wish the camera had lingered a little longer (there was a shot of Dracula buried in earth with blood trickling from his mouth that I really enjoyed but the cut to another scene was too quick). Overall, a beautiful film whose flaws (some of the acting, editing, pacing here and there) don't diminish its power.

I also rewatched Candyman and The Thing. Tony Todd is always a delight (he plays a suave, charming, sympathetic, but terrifying villain very well) and the scene with all those drat bees still pops up in my head from time to time. As for The Thing, it's still my favorite body horror movie. I can't praise it enough

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Watched The Thing. Had to watch my own pick.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the house of the devil
tense and taut. a real slow-burn throwback to the pacing of stuff like the omen. loved that they used a lot of the film techniques and equipment from that time too, if you told me it was made in the 70s or 80s i would believe you.

the return of the living dead
campy, gory, and darkly funny. sometimes you just need a good splatter flick that doesn't take itself seriously

suspiria
dario argento ftmfw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

name and shame everyone who didn't watch more than their own pick imo if any

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

symbolic posted:

Just rewatched Phantom of the Paradise by showing it to four friends who hadn't even heard of it.

Edit - nvm thought you were talking about people who didn't watch their own pick

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

bram stoker's dracula (my pick)
one of my favorite movies of all time. over the top in all of the best ways. that entire scene where dracula lands in london and is rushing through the streets while the music is thumping, god drat. based coppola

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
When Keanu first sees younger Dracula in London and slips into a full Bill and Ted voice... The movie would be worse without him

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Arachnaphobia - kind of ridiculous, jeff daniels tries his best. I thought the family dynamic here was overwrought. Some of the old people dying and turning into jerky was goofy.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space - i have no idea how this scared me as a child. Very colorful movie, the acting is over the top but for how hammy the tone is it works.

Prince of Darkness - one of the few john carpenter movies i hadn't seen. Really liked it, tho a bit slow. I always love more donald pleasance.

Suspiria - kino pick. Amazing camerawork, music is tremendous

Blair Witch Project - i kicked that fuckin map into da river

The Thing - 10/10 mastapeece.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - probably my 2nd favorite coppola movie. Gary oldman kicks rear end here. Love the use of colors to set mood.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Roth posted:

Just rewatched Phantom of the Paradise by showing it to four friends who hadn't even heard of it.

Edit - nvm thought you were talking about people who didn't watch their own pick
I almost watched phantom of the park again

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmfao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Spent most of the day on a marathon of a bunch of movies on the list before Halloween ends, with The Blair Witch Project ending right at the stroke of midnight to ring Halloween out:

The Visit - Pretty solid movie, not Shyamalan at his best but miles above Shyamalan at his worst. Its structure reminds me of House of the Devil, with most of the movie being a slower creepy thing where normality has just enough going wrong to weird you out, building up to a final 20 minutes or so of more traditional horror. Both of the old folks gave great performances that did a lot to sell the movie.

Phantom of the Paradise - this was a much different movie than I was expecting, and for the better. The movie I had in mind, some weird grim musical, wasn't my thing at all but I gave it a shot because I trust Roth's taste in 20th century films, and it's actually a fun campy film. Neat mashup of Phantom of the Opera, Faust, and even a bit of Portrait of Dorian Gray and Count of Monte Cristo. Beef rules.

Under the Shadow - I'd been meaning to watch this one for years now and never got around to it, thanks Jenny for the motivation to finally do it. I liked this one a lot, it's another slow burn and I really liked the way it upped the tension from a period family drama at the beginning until it finally reached the Poltergeist-style crescendo at the climax. I've always enjoyed reading personal stories of people who believe that they encountered a ghost or their house is haunted or whatever, and I always love haunted house movies when they're sticking to the more subtle stuff that real people report--stuff moving by themselves, figures that disappear before you get a good look at them, kids having weird conversations with imaginary friends, etc--but then start checking out when they need the big Hollywood ending with everyone screaming and shouting Bible verses and whatnot; I think this movie made a very smart decision in that when it got to that point it just got weird with it, replacing the tedious ending most of these have with a bit of surrealism and cool visuals. I also found the beginning before the djinn ever showed up really interesting, I should check out more Persian cinema. I had a period in college where I got really into Persian culture and history but that never translated to watching their movies.

The Blair Witch Project - Decent film, probably would have hit a lot harder if I saw it around its release when the found footage thing was fairly novel, but I see why it kicked off a craze that's still going today and I think it does it a lot better than most if not all of its imitators. It feels more genuine than most later found footage movies which usually just feel like a gimmick but they're fully committed to the bit here and the actors have a real spontaneity to their performances, it feels like they probably improvised a lot of it to keep it real. Before poo poo really goes down Heather was really good at channeling the energy of the most annoying girl you still hung out with for some reason in high school lol. It would have been wild to watch this when it first came out with the whole marketing campaign and rumor mills presenting it as actual footage, I was too young for real horror movies at the time but I could see myself really buying into the hype and believing it if it had come out when I was like 12 or 13 instead.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

lmao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

good thread, good picks

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

only two are Sir Mat of Dickie who added prince of darkness posted once and died nd noted fyad troll got the tude now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

worth noting neither of them watched any movies including their own

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I apologize for my pick, ill do better next time. :worship:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

I apologize for my pick, ill do better next time. :worship:

i wanted to see it anyway, and its fun to have a clunker to bitch about

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i always heard good things and i'm glad someone else watched it first lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

elf help book posted:

good thread, good picks

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

elf help book posted:

i wanted to see it anyway, and its fun to have a clunker to bitch about

Lol thanks

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Great idea and a great month of movies. I tried to watch more, but the month got away from me

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

That was a fun event, thanks for the picks, everyone. I deliberately didn't rewatch anything I'd already seen because I only really got into horror movies in the last two or three years so anything I'd already seen was a bit too recent for a rewatch, which means I didn't get to a lot of really good picks like Candyman or The Thing, etc., but I did watch most of the ones that were new to me, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Under the Shadow being particular favorites.

The ones I hadn't seen before and didn't get to this month were Arachnophobia, Videodrome, Suspiria 77, and Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which I'll probably still watch on my own over the next few days even without the event, I'm still in the mood for scary movies and probably will be for a while. Thanks for the picks everyone, I'm already looking forward to next year's.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Fungah! posted:

only two are Sir Mat of Dickie who added prince of darkness posted once and died nd noted fyad troll got the tude now

the only horror movies i watched this month are the first four v/h/s movies. sorry :sweatdrop:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

I got the tude now posted:

the only horror movies i watched this month are the first four v/h/s movies. sorry :sweatdrop:

I liked the first one but that one scene in viral with the truck was the nastiest thing I’ve seen in a horror movie

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

elf help book posted:

good thread, good picks

yeah this was really fun

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

That was a fun event, thanks for the picks, everyone. I deliberately didn't rewatch anything I'd already seen because I only really got into horror movies in the last two or three years so anything I'd already seen was a bit too recent for a rewatch, which means I didn't get to a lot of really good picks like Candyman or The Thing, etc., but I did watch most of the ones that were new to me, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Under the Shadow being particular favorites.

The ones I hadn't seen before and didn't get to this month were Arachnophobia, Videodrome, Suspiria 77, and Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which I'll probably still watch on my own over the next few days even without the event, I'm still in the mood for scary movies and probably will be for a while. Thanks for the picks everyone, I'm already looking forward to next year's.

good call comin up with the idea chuck, ths was way better than tryin to warp movie club to fit the format. def9initely want to do this again next year

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Got December Holidays, February Rom-Coms, April Baseball, uh… August Australia

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

TheSwizzler posted:

I liked the first one but that one scene in viral with the truck was the nastiest thing I’ve seen in a horror movie

The cult one from 2 is probably the strongest until the last 10 seconds

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Fungah! posted:

good call comin up with the idea chuck, ths was way better than tryin to warp movie club to fit the format. def9initely want to do this again next year

agreed, thanks for the thread chuck and thanks for the picks everyone. looking forward to next years thread

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

herculon posted:

Got December Holidays, February Rom-Coms, April Baseball, uh… August Australia

a december christmas movie thread would be a good one. first person to post die hard gets beaten with candy canes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It is now time for Noirvember