Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Roth posted:

Put me down for Phantom of the Paradise

good loving choice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I added Return of the Living Dead

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

starbarry clock posted:

listening to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqnNlsgcUQ as i write up what i thought about phantom of the paradise

i liked it, i thought it was very creative and had a lot of great effects

the plot was simultaneously simple yet interwoven with some twists and turns that kept things interesting

winslow was a cool character, i liked how he could hulk out as part of a defining character trait, just rage incarnate, it made him more than just a victim, there were times i felt bad for the villain having winslow on his rear end

the villain, swan, is also cool, all i know his actor from outside of this is dexters lab, there was a musical episode where he taught dexter to mix his passion for science with the creativity of music

but here he plays the shadiest son of a bitch music executive ive ever seen, a real bastard, and it was neat to see his range compared to his good guy outing in dexters lab

here are some spoilers of stuff i liked

i really liked the scene where swan has winslow hooked up to his voice box and the recording studio, it was fun seeing swan mix winslow's voice back into existence and i liked how modulated it sounded

i also loved a lot of shots of winslow, the way his eye peeps out of the mask set up some really emotional scenes and it was interesting how much he could emote with that hunk of junk on his head covering up most of his face

the gay singer guy, beef, was also a more comedic highlight, for what was sort of set up on the amazon video page as a comedy, id say beef had the scenes that made me laugh the hardest, there was otherwise just some sensible chuckles at most

but this comedy is mostly played pretty straight for how outlandish and stylized it is

if there was one thing i didnt like it was how many loving hard cuts there were in the finale, it was dizzying how the editing was, i get it was going for a certain level of energy but the constant hard cuts all over the place was making me go crosseyed

kickass thanks for suggesting roth

Beef absolutely steals the movie lol. Gerrit Graham ftw

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

watched Phantom of the Paradise today, god I love this movie lol. Paul Williams rules, Beef steals the whole movie, and all the music kicks rear end. think it's my favorite rock opera and certainly my favorite horror-comedy rock opera. Perfect october movie

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i made a mistake and watched Phantom of the Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dus7hHb0Je8&t=62s

lmao

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

very tempted to make that same mistake lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Return of the Living Dead

I watched my own movie pick. masterpiece 5/5

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

wawtched The Thing (1982) for maybe the dozenth time, its absolutely a triumph of filmmaking. the talent involved in this film was immense and everyone was firing on all cylnders. love it, two thumbs up, twelve bags of popcorn etc. etc.

hell yeah. amazing movie

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I almost watched phantom of the park again

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub-Actuality