Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ty chuck for the idea

this came up in the movie thread but we thought itd be fun for people to pick a horror movie to watch sometime this month. throw your name in here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dr4dxtDHlCka2HXylT7FVS2pz5zh2KaB1OwiCKQ7ufY/edit?usp=sharing along with the movie nd where it can be streamed. if you put your name on the list you have to watch at least one movie other than yours or go to hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYQh-zO0WP8

LETS GO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

put in in the mouth of madness by john carpenter. absolutely essential if you havent seen it, imo its john carpenter's last great movie and it rules

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

som1 please put videodrome (1983) on my name
never seen it, but i shall watch it this october and i invite you all to join me

done.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

Put me down for Phantom of the Paradise

got you fam. is it streamng anywhere?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

watch the Blair Witch Project or i'll FLIP

new one or old one. hell theyre both good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

i added candyman

this list makes peacock seem like a good service lol

honestly peacock whips for halloween, theyve got like 80% of the good hammer movies and a bunch of universal too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

TheSwizzler posted:

It's confined to Shudder and AMC+ so I wouldn't put it on the official list but "PG: Psycho Goreman" is a fun one

oh, i saw that in a bar. seemed ok

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Roth posted:

You forgot the Scooby Doo parody

+south park

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

under the shadow. liked it well enough, didnt blow my hair back but at least its a modern horror movie that has a freakin monster in it instead of it just bein trauma. main actress did a great job, so did th kid. really glad i dont live in post-revolution iran

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh i also liked that ultimate the war and the oppressive regime were used for mood building, and that the whole friggin movie wasnt a metaphor for the cultural revolution or somethin. also a very good room disassembly scene

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

the scene where she gets arrested for leaving her house with her hair uncoveres was really harrowing

that super was yeh, especially in the middle of an air raid. some people are fuckin psychos

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Joey McChrist posted:

also added bram stoker's dracula to the list. francis ford coppola goes hog wild

such a sick movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok got some time to watch horror movies and rolled suspiria, lets goo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

suspiria kicks rear end, incredible sets, wild music, really fuckin good italian gore. its cool that its not sleazy the way a lot of italian horror flicks from the time are, its set at a 90% girls school, theres like three guys in the whole thing, and theres not one topless scene or piece of exploitation. creepy poo poo, seriously love all the colors and the way the score goes between zero and 100 constantly. really fun pick. goood choice symbo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok rolled phantasm for today, lets go

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

phantasm is fuckin out there man, liked it a lot. cool symbolism, really good score, th tall man/lady is a neat villain, its cool that i have no fuckin idea whats actually happening or why. good spooky horror. pairs nicely with suspiria too, it kind of feels like an italian job without actually bein from italy. good poo poo starb

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

rolled the dice on all these movies but videodrome and a certain other one that i shall watch later :rolldice:

landed on bram stokers dracula

lmao wtf is this movie. i clearly dont know as much ab coppola as i thought i did, cause i wasnt expecting this to go full campycore. it kind of pwns

its not scary at all, but its p epic. lots of cool effects and shots. the plot is messy but u just kinda go w/ it.

gary oldman and anthony hopkins are insanely good in this. winona ryder is alright. look, i like keanu reeves, but he sucks rear end here lmao. idk if he was just having a bad time or if he was misdirected or miscast or what, but his acting is the most horrifying part of this movie

favorite line: "an autopsy? no, no, not exactly. i just want to cut off her head and take out her heart". the delivery cracked me tf up

scary score: 1/5
score: 3/5

every single effect aside from like two are done in camera btw. dummies, models, matte paintings, th works

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i tell this story a lot but theres a shot early on where keanu's narrating his diary with the train in top of frame and coppola wanted th shadow of the train goin across the diary at sunset, so to make it look good wth the model of the train they had to write out the diary, block out the pages that are visible, and remake em in a diary the size of a ping pong table to set it right under the model and lights. absolutely godlike poo poo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

how did they do this?

the re:view of the movie touches on some of it but theres a lot in this iirc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxz8z6Po-eo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fucker posted:

thats so epic. we never get stories like these anymore. now its just "a computer did it"

the other one i remember is that shot where draculas wife throws herself out the window at the start of the movie with that kickass straight shot the actress had to run towards the window, jump out, land on a ledge, and then the set guy who was on the ledge with her had to throw a dummy right as she landed so when the camera dollied out itd see the dummy continuing to fall. its so loving badass!

e: its been a while but i think the yawning chasm she falls into might be one of th non-camera effects but idr

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

Its production day and you know what that means! [nicolas, sophia, roman, and francis all come in and collab for an epic movie]

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i made a mistake and watched Phantom of the Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dus7hHb0Je8&t=62s

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rolled the house of the devil, lets go

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

house of the devil, pretty good cheap horror movie. they did a lot wth atmosphere for basically no money at all. theres no bruce campbell in th actors but theyre all fine except for the friend that gets her head blown off. wasnt amazing but i liked it. good score too. solid vibe.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

And The House of the Devil. I know Ti West is mostly known for horror but this is the first horror movie of his I've seen, though I really loved his Western In a Valley of Violence. Really loved how well he nailed the stylistic throwbacks like using 16mm film and the opening and closing credits with the yellow text and freeze frames, etc. Very, very slow burn, which won't be to everyone's tastes but I liked it a lot, it reminded me of the first section of Barbarian where things are slow and tense and uncomfortable and you don't know when the shoe is going to drop or what it's going to look like when it does. I especially liked Tom Noonan's scenes earlier in the movie, where he's really weird and off-putting but not in an openly sinister way, just odd in the uncomfortable way that people are sometimes, he really sells it and it comes across as like, if you knew someone like that in real life you'd think he's just a harmless weirdo but since you know you're watching a horror movie you know there's got to be more than that. And then when the plot finally does explode it's just heart-pounding to the end.

Great visuals too, I loved a lot of the effects like the pulsing flashes of the moon after she gets drugged by the pizza, or the road sequence as they're driving to the mansion that reminded me a lot of Lynch's Lost Highway. It's a hard recommend, because I know a lot of people won't like the pacing, but it gets by on an extremely well-executed atmosphere so if you're into that it's definitely worth a watch.

yeh the more i think about it the more i liked it, and i already liked it a fair bit. its a super slow burn but in a way that builds tension and makes th scares actually work with minimal scary poo poo. also apparently the actress who i thought was phoning it in was greta gerwig lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

blair witch 99. great flick, incredibly suspenseful. they really do so much poo poo with so little, master class in economical filmmaking

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

Also I guess it goes with my comment about its faithfulness to the book but I love that it included Quincey, who's generally been forgotten since he didn't make it into the Bela Lugosi movie

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

dog soldiers. pretty sweet movie, good poo poo. some of tghe dialogue got pretty corny at th end and i fuckin hate shakycam but it was a solid hook and i'm a sucker for a drawn-out last stand. good pick chuck. sean pertwee and the dude who played vorenus ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

The Wicker Man

a third folk songs/hymns at 200% volume, a third topless women, and a third Edward Woodward losing his cool and his mind. extremely powerful film especially once May Day begins, and i hate the Nic Cage version i watched in college so much more in retrospect. Woodward at the end going from pride of being a Christian, to unreciprocated rationalizing, to pure terror, and finally shaky, begrudging acceptance is gonna linger with me i feel. truly terrifying film with next to no blood, gore, and death

ending is just fuckin haunting. absolutely kickass movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

In the Mouth of Madness

I liked this well enough but too much of it is Sam Neill seeing something weird and raising his eyebrow and just moving on. This man would have zero issues seeing a squirrel t-posing. Once it really gets rolling and he understands he's in some poo poo, then it's really genuinely great, but it takes a while.

If you're gonna hire someone to constantly raise their eyebrow, Sam Neill is a drat good pick for the role.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tony todd ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

in the mouth of madness. still love it, sam neill pwns. it kind of grinds for a bit when they get to the town but otherwise great atmosphere and a good slowly building sense of insanity. last great john carpenter flick imo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

:siren:LAST DAY:siren:

get em in!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I almost watched phantom of the park again

lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

name and shame everyone who didn't watch more than their own pick imo if any

only two are Sir Mat of Dickie who added prince of darkness posted once and died nd noted fyad troll got the tude now

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

worth noting neither of them watched any movies including their own

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i always heard good things and i'm glad someone else watched it first lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

That was a fun event, thanks for the picks, everyone. I deliberately didn't rewatch anything I'd already seen because I only really got into horror movies in the last two or three years so anything I'd already seen was a bit too recent for a rewatch, which means I didn't get to a lot of really good picks like Candyman or The Thing, etc., but I did watch most of the ones that were new to me, Bram Stoker's Dracula and Under the Shadow being particular favorites.

The ones I hadn't seen before and didn't get to this month were Arachnophobia, Videodrome, Suspiria 77, and Killer Klowns from Outer Space, which I'll probably still watch on my own over the next few days even without the event, I'm still in the mood for scary movies and probably will be for a while. Thanks for the picks everyone, I'm already looking forward to next year's.

good call comin up with the idea chuck, ths was way better than tryin to warp movie club to fit the format. def9initely want to do this again next year