Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
still going with Phantasm if somebody wants to add me to the spreadsheet

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
listening to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IqnNlsgcUQ as i write up what i thought about phantom of the paradise

i liked it, i thought it was very creative and had a lot of great effects

the plot was simultaneously simple yet interwoven with some twists and turns that kept things interesting

winslow was a cool character, i liked how he could hulk out as part of a defining character trait, just rage incarnate, it made him more than just a victim, there were times i felt bad for the villain having winslow on his rear end

the villain, swan, is also cool, all i know his actor from outside of this is dexters lab, there was a musical episode where he taught dexter to mix his passion for science with the creativity of music

but here he plays the shadiest son of a bitch music executive ive ever seen, a real bastard, and it was neat to see his range compared to his good guy outing in dexters lab

here are some spoilers of stuff i liked

i really liked the scene where swan has winslow hooked up to his voice box and the recording studio, it was fun seeing swan mix winslow's voice back into existence and i liked how modulated it sounded

i also loved a lot of shots of winslow, the way his eye peeps out of the mask set up some really emotional scenes and it was interesting how much he could emote with that hunk of junk on his head covering up most of his face

the gay singer guy, beef, was also a more comedic highlight, for what was sort of set up on the amazon video page as a comedy, id say beef had the scenes that made me laugh the hardest, there was otherwise just some sensible chuckles at most

but this comedy is mostly played pretty straight for how outlandish and stylized it is

if there was one thing i didnt like it was how many loving hard cuts there were in the finale, it was dizzying how the editing was, i get it was going for a certain level of energy but the constant hard cuts all over the place was making me go crosseyed

kickass thanks for suggesting roth

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i bought a phantasm movie collection since ive only seen the first few and ill be watching them over this week (and halloween sometime too) and then doing videodrome or whatever got up fuckers butt because now im curious lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
yeah phantasm is still epic

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
watched videodrome will read what others have said later but it was a cool movie good effects and symbolism and probably a wealth of little details that id need to rewatch to pick up on

one of them that i think i did catch was the guy at the end saying he has his head in this box and then later on stage they chiseled out a head from a block of marble it might have been supposed to be james woods lol

but yeah cool story unreliable narrators are hard to pull off right but i think they did a good job here

even if james woods was a huge pussy lmfao, obviously a commentary on how media preys on the pleasure center of our brain

so yeah a lot to extrapolate but good will watch again a few years down the line

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

started w/ my own submission in videodrome, since id never seen it b4

im so loving sick of "is this part real? is this part imagined? oOoOoOOooOOOoouUUuh" movies and this one is even worse bc of the insanely dated vhs poo poo. i get it, it was made in 1983, but im watching it in 2023. sry

it was kind of interesting at the start, i liked some of the shots and the special effects were cool (gotta love practical, baby), but idc that much about body horror or this kind of hackily done "psychological" horror and u combine the two and its a cocktail made to piss me off, bore me and/or have me groaning for over half of it

almost dont want to put this into spoiler tags cause i want to warn ppl ab it. i feel bad i put this on the list

scary score: 2/5
score: 2/5

lol

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
watched horror express and it was cool made me wonder how they made the eyes glow back then, looks like contacts with lights under them but that would be blinding/hot right against the eye

crazy

not a super shitton to say, had some dry bits of humor that made me lol scattered throughout, i liked the song the baggage guy whistled that kind of became a motif throughout the movie, it was funny to think of some ape skeleton dude pursing its lips to whistle after the baggage guys song was cut short, it continued the song after he died lol because it absorbed his thoughts, didnt even put that together now how the ape knew to continue the song but thats the first clue it steals thoughts isnt it cool lol

also i noticed creepshow in the list, theres a story in it very similar to this one called the crate

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

Fucker posted:

videodrones in shambles

he gave forbidden zone a 2/5 you gotta add 3 to every score he gives

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

sounds like i should subtract 1 actually

you should subtract yourself from the discussion additionally you can shut the hell up lardo your rear end is so fat your toilet paper is multiply

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
had a busy october so i didnt watch as much as i wanted to but i enjoyed what i did and ill backlog some of the movies im interested in for next october when i hopefully have more time