Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

tossed my hat in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i watched the Wicker Man remake with a couple friends in college and the only scene i remember is when one of the actors is walking on a ferry and suddenly gets rammed into by an 18-wheeler and that's supposed to explain that Nic Cage has hallucinations

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

first movie down in the form of Phantasm. didnt know what to expect going into it but it felt purely like the 70s in the stilted acting, overindulgent special effects, and ethereal and proggy soundtrack, and i really enjoyed it because of that. had no idea if i was supposed to laugh at the parts i laughed at (one of the Jawas running at Mike and the sudden camera cut to him screaming and sprinting past Jody having graveyard sex, the slo-mo shot of the Tall Man strolling down the sidewalk, "Are you sure it wasn't that retarded kid Timmy from down the street?", etc) but they helped balance out the horror shlock. was almost soured by the ending but the last-minute save of the Tall Man turning out to be real and dragging Mike through the window pivoted it. great, campy flick

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

not on the docket but watched the original Halloween tonight and it's still a classic. carried by every shot of Michael with the synth score but still drat tense, especially the scenes w/ the fake ghost and Jamie Lee Curtis desperately trying to get back into the house as it cuts to him getting closer and closer. buenísimo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

started w/ my own submission in videodrome, since id never seen it b4

im so loving sick of "is this part real? is this part imagined? oOoOoOOooOOOoouUUuh" movies and this one is even worse bc of the insanely dated vhs poo poo. i get it, it was made in 1983, but im watching it in 2023. sry

it was kind of interesting at the start, i liked some of the shots and the special effects were cool (gotta love practical, baby), but idc that much about body horror or this kind of hackily done "psychological" horror and u combine the two and its a cocktail made to piss me off, bore me and/or have me groaning for over half of it

almost dont want to put this into spoiler tags cause i want to warn ppl ab it. i feel bad i put this on the list

scary score: 2/5
score: 2/5

don't worry brother, i'll be watchin this rear end tonight. trip report when im done of course but solidarity

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fucker posted:

started w/ my own submission in videodrome, since id never seen it b4

im so loving sick of "is this part real? is this part imagined? oOoOoOOooOOOoouUUuh" movies and this one is even worse bc of the insanely dated vhs poo poo. i get it, it was made in 1983, but im watching it in 2023. sry

it was kind of interesting at the start, i liked some of the shots and the special effects were cool (gotta love practical, baby), but idc that much about body horror or this kind of hackily done "psychological" horror and u combine the two and its a cocktail made to piss me off, bore me and/or have me groaning for over half of it

almost dont want to put this into spoiler tags cause i want to warn ppl ab it. i feel bad i put this on the list

scary score: 2/5
score: 2/5

you are retarded

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

went right to bed after watching Videodrome but i think that helped me ruminate on just how insane it was and how layered the symbolism and allusions were. the freaky body horror Cronenberg stuff was sick but i really latched onto what the movie was trying to convey. it was kinda giving me Network vibes about how television can destroy you but on a much more horrific (and pretty much literal at points lol) level and gets really amplified by Max progressively breaking down more and more where by the end you're pretty much wondering if being brainwashed against Videodrome was any better than being brainwashed for them since the latter absolutely would've ended with an untimely death to become part of the new flesh anyways. i kinda want to rewatch it again already to pick apart stuff i missed, which is pretty much some of the best praise i can give a movie. long live the new flesh, and again,

symbolic posted:

you are retarded

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Leadthumb posted:

I just watched phantasm. What the hell was that? Lmao

it was kino

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

Its production day and you know what that means! [nicolas, sophia, roman, and francis all come in and collab for an epic movie]

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Phantom of the Paradise

god. a movie that defies description imo and one of the few in recent memory that's given me chills multiple times. i'm absolutely floored especially when going in i only expected some kinda darker Rocky Horror, there's just so much going into it and going in fully blind was absolutely the way to go. the ending was batshit and i thought all those hard cuts worked out very well to make it seem like controlled chaos, especially w/all the drastic changes the music takes. ty so much Roth for adding this one on cuz i never heard about it before and doubt i would've checked it out otherwise

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 14, 2023

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Beef ruled

:hai:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Thing

already heard plenty about how legendary it is, and confirmed by finally watching it. some of the best practical effects i've ever seen and some of the most tense i've ever felt watching a film. the blood sample scene in particular was unreal, but all through wondering who it could be and who could be next had me on edge the entire time. John Carpenter unleashing a shapeshifter and letting inherent human paranoia take care of the rest, ftmfw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bram Stoker's Dracula

elaborate and impressive as all hell given the length of the practical effects. loved Gary Oldman and Anthony Hopkins, felt like Keanu was kinda miscast but not in a bad acting way? idk. great movie if really overtly horny lol. ty based Coppola

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Horror Express

weird little movie but i ended up liking it more than i thought i would. feels like a campy movie taking itself 100% seriously aside from the British wit and Scooby-Doo sound effects. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing play off each other really well and lmao at Telly Savalas feeling as if he just wandered onto the train to do whatever he wanted for the <10 minutes of screentime he gets and not even trying to do a Russian accent. this might actually be the most unsettling movie i've watched for exscreamvaganza so far thanks to the monster design, how he gets his victims, and the surgery scenes, god i wish i knew going in there'd be dead eyeball dissection cuz euuugghh. not sure if i liked how it started around the 2/3rds mark playing around with the kind of horror it wants to be for the rest of the film, going from this weird supernatural apeman to aliens and then also zombies..??, but it was still thoroughly entertaining

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Arachnophobia

a movie that characters in a better movie would be watching briefly before being interrupted. i liked John Goodman as the dopey but no-nonsense exterminator and it was interesting seeing Jeff Daniels outside of Dumb & Dumber but man this just didn't do anything for me. creepy yeah but in the same way as a NatGeo documentary about spiders would be. i also really hate the trope of "innocent guy gets the initial blame for the bad poo poo happening/no one believes him about the actual catalyst" which happened for longer than it should've. good lol at the ending though, where the ultimate lesson is living in the country sucks but so does living in San Francisco. final verdict: a few less graphic details and it feels like it should be playing in a dentist's office waiting room

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Suspiria

absolutely loved it. knew going with a pick i haven't seen before might've been a gamble but i felt like i hit the jackpot, just a completely hauntingly beautiful display of set design and art direction. feels so much more vibrant compared to other horror movies around that time, and the score gets unreal and pretty deranged. not as much gore as i thought but every kill felt like it had weight to it, and even then whoever said that "bad vibes" might be the main villain was completely right, just so many scenes that feel "off" that rachet up the tension. ungodly good movie in general, let alone horror movie

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Wicker Man

a third folk songs/hymns at 200% volume, a third topless women, and a third Edward Woodward losing his cool and his mind. extremely powerful film especially once May Day begins, and i hate the Nic Cage version i watched in college so much more in retrospect. Woodward at the end going from pride of being a Christian, to unreciprocated rationalizing, to pure terror, and finally shaky, begrudging acceptance is gonna linger with me i feel. truly terrifying film with next to no blood, gore, and death

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

In the Mouth of Madness

this was extremely fuckin insane and inventive and it genuinely might rival The Thing for me, at least out of the Carpenter i've watched so far. if it was anyone other than him at the helm or if it was made later than it was i feel like it would've been way too up its own rear end with the metanarrative or try to play it too much as satire, but as it is i think it stuck the landing real well with the mindfuckery. could've seen the ending coming from a mile away but it was still drat effective, stellar practical effects too as expected. i get why Sam Neill was a stupid rear end in a top hat for so long even if it grated on me, but he did well in the end. just superb all around, glad i managed to eke this one in before the end of the month

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

name and shame everyone who didn't watch more than their own pick imo if any

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fungah! posted:

good call comin up with the idea chuck, ths was way better than tryin to warp movie club to fit the format. def9initely want to do this again next year

facts. i managed to watch a ton of movies from this and also a ton of others that weren't on the list this month since i got pretty much addicted, pretty sure i've watched more movies this month than the entire rest of the year combined. epic poo poo

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Joey McChrist posted:

a december christmas movie thread would be a good one. first person to post die hard gets beaten with candy canes

for being right? hmm

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

herculon posted:

Nobody ever says Die Hard 2 is a Christmas movie despite it also taking place on Christmas Eve

to be consistent i will say it is as well, even if i haven't seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

trying to jack off posted:

ive talked to bob irwin snr and have some mutual aquaintances with him and he really hates terri lol

i once heard someone say that every Australian knows each other and, well,