Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i added candyman

this list makes peacock seem like a good service lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Joey McChrist posted:

also added bram stoker's dracula to the list. francis ford coppola goes hog wild

oh hell yeah

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Suspiria

literally yelled out WOAH! at the very first death. beautiful to both look and listen to

Jenny Agutter posted:

first movie of the month down: Suspiria (1977), watching it for the second time. one of the best vibes movies ever, every scene has a different and distinct color palette, gorgeous shot composition and of course the sets are incredible. not to mention one of the greatest scores put to film. the plot is nothing but who cares.

i'd alsol recommend the 2018 suspiria, its not a classic like the original but i liked it a lot and if you're a Swinton-head it's a must watch

i like the mention of vibes it really feels for much of the movie that the "villain" is bad vibes lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Videodrome

absolute classic, the bending screen effects still look great
I like how literal the ending is, he starts in that tv interview denying that people will just do the sick stuff they see on TV, and then it ends with him receiving and copying a direct command from a TV

Phantom of the Paradise

the music in this is real good, i could imagine the Juicy Fruits song as an actual radio hit
the way the story is mixing together various classic tales we all know well is so fun and keeps you slightly off balance
I love that when beef was trying to quit and leave in terror, he still bothered to paint a new image on his cheek

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Bram Stoker's Dracula

god yes gently caress yes hell yeah

the effects have been mentioned, but the costumes so so top tier as well, draculas old man look and his battle armor are iconic, so many of lucys dresses are 200% over the top its so good

amazing 20/10 scenes:

the wedding
lucys tomb
the van helsing and mina scene that ends in the fade to the sun from their circle of fire

elf help book fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 16, 2023

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

when i was a kid, my dad was in the navy. on occasion, he would actually have to spend time on a boat and leave us for a while. one time he came back and brought something he bought to help pass the time. a portable cd player and some cds, including Billy Joel's River of Dreams, and the Arachnophobia soundtrack. my dad has no taste, i think these were the only cds he ever bought.

i watched Arachnophobia

check out this poster, great job, iconic

thats all the nice things i have to say about this movie

what a slog, every scene feels 3 times as long as it needs to be hanging around a bunch of one note cartoon characters who dont have the decency to be funny

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Sub-Actuality posted:

Return of the Living Dead

I watched my own movie pick. masterpiece 5/5

Lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Thing
Wonderful movie. Absolute legend. Fantastic pace. So many others with the same concept I feel would have a terrible lull in the middle. This never stops ratcheting up the tension.

Prince of Darkness

rodbeard posted:

Prince of Darkness - I rewatched In the Mouth of Madness first because I felt this movie covered many of the same themes better. The acting from the grad students is kind of weak, but Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong absolutely steal the show as a priest and a scientist having a discussion on the nature of evil while Satan is actively trying to bring about the apocalypse around them. Another amazing synth soundtrack. The dream sequence is great. Alice Cooper brought his own special effects with him for his cameo.

I agree with these. But I did really like the laughing man as well. The fact it affected every character a little different was very exciting. The concept of the dream stuff 100% works and is cool but on paper I think most would say it doesn't fit in with the rest of it, so I'm quite glad it's there. The confluence of science and religion without ever falling into some corny 'you just need faith' type narrative is great, stating instead there are things we cannot explain yet even if we have record of them, even tying that back to why religion would hide it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning and fell into a pit of barbed wire... again :rolleyes:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In the Mouth of Madness

I liked this well enough but too much of it is Sam Neill seeing something weird and raising his eyebrow and just moving on. This man would have zero issues seeing a squirrel t-posing. Once it really gets rolling and he understands he's in some poo poo, then it's really genuinely great, but it takes a while.

If you're gonna hire someone to constantly raise their eyebrow, Sam Neill is a drat good pick for the role.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Punished Chuck posted:

Also I guess it goes with my comment about its faithfulness to the book but I love that it included Quincey, who's generally been forgotten since he didn't make it into the Bela Lugosi movie

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Return of the Living Dead

very very fun. The whole maniac mansion crew is good.

the army agent just calmly taking notes at the end fuckin killed me

Candyman (My own pick)

Man I love this movie

pinning the kills on helen, the fact that it ends with that repeating
the idea of legends perpetrating themselves, candyman needing to kill to keep up belief in him
the idea of a real person entering legend and becoming immortal, even if the legend isnt factual. we start learning the candyman lore, that he was killed for loving a white woman, and even before helen dies she's already entering legend tied to him and is shown as that woman from a century earlier

the psychiatrist fakeout and then kill actually happening

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

When Keanu first sees younger Dracula in London and slips into a full Bill and Ted voice... The movie would be worse without him

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

good thread, good picks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Leadthumb posted:

I apologize for my pick, ill do better next time. :worship:

i wanted to see it anyway, and its fun to have a clunker to bitch about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU