Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I added Killer Klowns From Outer Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I rewatched In the Mouth of Madness last night. I agree about it being Carpenter's last great movie. I feel like it gets overlooked sometimes when people talk about him just because he set the bar so high with the movies he put out in the 80s. The practical effects still look great, there's a ton of great character actors, and some really clever camera shots.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I watched Videodrome and Prince of Darkness back to back tonight. Great poo poo.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've been sleeping on actually posting about the movies I've been watching.

Videodrome - I rewatch this every few years because I'm a huge Cronenberg fan. I somehow never noticed how much the Barry Convex looks like a young Jim Bakker. James Woods is always great when he's playing a sleazy rear end in a top hat character. The special effects are all hold up great. I've always been a fan of surreal imagery and a dreamlike atmosphere in horror. I think it's funny how this movie is partially inspired by Cronenberg as a child thinking he was going to see something super hosed up watching television broadcasts from Buffalo NY in the middle of the night. My introduction to Cronenberg is literally the exact opposite. I grew up in Buffalo and caught Scanners for the first time as a late night movie broadcast coming from a Toronto station.

Killer Klowns From Outer Space - I happened to catch a TV broadcast of my own pick while hanging out with my dad last weekend. This movie was made as a tribute to cheesy 50's monster movies and really embraces being incredibly corny. The special effects are far better than they have any right to be for how little money they had to work with. The Chiodo Brothers basically got all their friends to work for free and they knew a lot of special effects people. The clowns are really endearingly ugly. The kills are a lot of fun. The matte work they did looked amazing:

Suspiria - Another one of my favorite movies. I think this and the remake are both amazing in their own ways. I love the soundtrack. Especially the heavy breathing and speaking in tongues layered over the music. The use of color is amazing. Udo Kier is always great even if he's barely in it. I always get a laugh at the inexplicable attic room full of razor wire.

Phantasm - Another great moody atmospheric horror movie. A man sets out to make a horror movie based on a bad dream he had without bothering to learn the rules of how horror movies are usually made. The amateurishness of the production really helps make it so unique. I'm always up for a synth heavy movie soundtrack.

Prince of Darkness - I rewatched In the Mouth of Madness first because I felt this movie covered many of the same themes better. The acting from the grad students is kind of weak, but Donald Pleasence and Victor Wong absolutely steal the show as a priest and a scientist having a discussion on the nature of evil while Satan is actively trying to bring about the apocalypse around them. Another amazing synth soundtrack. The dream sequence is great. Alice Cooper brought his own special effects with him for his cameo.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Outside of Hopkins and Oldman, the acting was pretty weak in the movie. The set design and costumes are out of this world though. I was especially impressed by Francis Ford Coppola's decision to only use practical effects and camera tricks that would have been available in the 30's

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The House of the Devil - I'm reminded of the post somebody made about TV Tropes:

quote:

By way of analogy: A troper will spend years learning about what kind of ingredients typically go into cakes, and compile an exhaustive list of every ingredient and what they taste like on their own. Then the troper will present all of the other tropers with a bowl full of whole unshelled eggs, raw flour, oil, milk, and sugar, all in unstirred heaps, and say 'look at my cake'! And everyone will agree that the cake is delicious because it has eggs, flour, oil, milk, and sugar in it.

Ti West has good taste in horror movies, hired a bunch of great actors, nailed the look of an old horror movie, and came up with a great soundtrack, but the movie just doesn't feel like a complete story. It's just a collection of random cool shots and then suddenly the whole plot happens at once in the last 20 minutes.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The Visit - M. Night is pretty hit or miss but he absolutely nailed it here. Real strong Hitchcock vibes from the movie. Great performances from the child actors too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Wicker Man - The first time I saw this movie I was expecting something a lot more like the movies Christopher Lee was starring in for Hammer. I'm always blown away by just how unique the vibe of this movie is. The music is great. I love how the protagonist is a grumpy rear end in a top hat while all the townsfolk are super friendly even though they refuse to cooperate with his investigation. The ending is wild. I especially like the inversion of morality a lot of horror movies go for. If he had slept with the Innkeeper's daughter when she tried to seduce him he would no longer have been a suitable sacrifice.