Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

watched phantom of the paradise for the first time in a decade, good stuff. beef steals the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

also added bram stoker's dracula to the list. francis ford coppola goes hog wild

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

coppola fired the effects director when he told him the things he wanted were 'impossible' then put his son roman in his place and did them anyway. insane poo poo, one of my favorites just for how it was all put together

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

trying to jack off posted:

Its production day and you know what that means! [nicolas, sophia, roman, and francis all come in and collab for an epic movie]

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

phantasm - my grandma loved horror movies. i remember watching stuff like friday the 13th and nightmare on elm street with her when i was tiny. this is one of those movies i had hazy memories of watching with her but didn't really remember at all. its fun, campy and cheesy, with the just the right amount of creep from angus scrimm.

dog soldiers - sick effects, great characters, and tense, claustrophobic setting. loved this the first time i saw it and it still holds up. i hope i give you the shits!!

in the mouth of madness - big fan of cosmic horror so this was right up my alley. i had only seen it once on a late-night tv showing, so it was chopped to poo poo. obviously much better fully viewed, its definitely not carpenters greatest but sam neill loses his god drat mind so i was enthralled.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

horror express (1972) - an old favorite. i remember my grandma having an ancient VHS copy of it from some bootleg distributor. lee and cushing are great as usual, adding gravitas when needed. i like the setting on the trans-siberian rail, its a really isolating feel thundering through untouched snowy wilderness. some of the effects are wild for the early 70s but it runs a bit out of steam in the third act when it can't seem to decide what kind of horror movie it is. great stuff 3/5

prince of darkness - this and the thing are carpenter at his finest imo. the bizarre dreamlike feel to everything helps to ramp up the tension. donald pleasence and victor wong are miles ahead of the other actors in this, their conversations on the metaphysical aspects of evil are really compelling to watch. great cameo from the king of shock himself too. 4.5/5

the thing - what can be said that hasn't already? a masterpiece of the genre. 5/5

arachnophobia - way creepier when you're 5 years old. it was just kind of slow and boring and the townspeople are extremely retarded. jeff fuckin daniels is hiding in your slipper waiting to kill you 1.5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

also watched candyman tonight. i've seen it a few times (most memorably when i was 7 and it made me afraid to look in a mirror for a bit lmao). really smart and cutting film, and downright uncomfortable to watch at points. really love this one.

Fungah! posted:

tony todd ftw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the house of the devil
tense and taut. a real slow-burn throwback to the pacing of stuff like the omen. loved that they used a lot of the film techniques and equipment from that time too, if you told me it was made in the 70s or 80s i would believe you.

the return of the living dead
campy, gory, and darkly funny. sometimes you just need a good splatter flick that doesn't take itself seriously

suspiria
dario argento ftmfw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

bram stoker's dracula (my pick)
one of my favorite movies of all time. over the top in all of the best ways. that entire scene where dracula lands in london and is rushing through the streets while the music is thumping, god drat. based coppola

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I almost watched phantom of the park again

lmao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Fungah! posted:

good call comin up with the idea chuck, ths was way better than tryin to warp movie club to fit the format. def9initely want to do this again next year

agreed, thanks for the thread chuck and thanks for the picks everyone. looking forward to next years thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

herculon posted:

Got December Holidays, February Rom-Coms, April Baseball, uh… August Australia

a december christmas movie thread would be a good one. first person to post die hard gets beaten with candy canes