Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

This is true for literally every MLB owner, so it evens out
Yeah but the Ricketts have been well known Trump mega donors so it’s more appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

Uh I might be missing a joke here but you do know Kirby threw that knuckleball as a tribute to Wakefield?
Nope, I did not

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I really wish the Knuckleball documentary was available for streaming.

It covers RA Dickey and Tim Wakefield and is just phenomenal. Wanted to show my wife the other day and found it's literally unavailable to stream.

edit: I did find you can buy the DVD on Amazon so I did that instead. Highly recommended for anyone that's a fan of the game.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 2, 2023

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Walked posted:

It covers RA Dickey and Tim Wakefield and is just phenomenal. Wanted to show my wife the other day and found it's literally unavailable to stream.

It's absolutely fantastic with the small annoying flaw of being put together a year too early. Dickey pulling a CY Young award the season after they finished it was crazy and would have made such a good ending.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Walked posted:

I watched it on Netflix, so I guess it must've been taken down since then.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bellinger and the Cubs is a relationship that should continue. He has been an inconsistent performer and it really worked there. I could see him coming to the Yankees and being Joey Gallo 2.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Charlz Guybon posted:

Nope, I did not

there is also a short tribute to him at the top of the OP

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

N: Rockies OF Nolan Jones became one of nine players, and the only rookie, to have at least 19 homers, 19 doubles, 19 steals, and 19 outfield assists in a single season.

V: lol, the names on that list.

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 2, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Guardians traded him and immediately he started hitting

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gotta make room for Myles Straw

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

it's not just the altitude this time

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 2, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

Last two presidential election years were the Cubs winning the WS and the last time the Cubs made it to the postseason. If anything the rest of the world should be mortified if the Cubs are good next year because we all know what comes next after they win it all.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

because we all know what comes next after they win it all.

Yeah Poque and I get to be in the victory parade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOqBDNcAIhg

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Credit where it's due, if you had asked me at the beginning of the season if I'd have been satisfied with the Rangers even sniffing the wild card, I'd have very quickly told you yes.

And yet here we are, they're in the wild card and I really can't frame it as anything other than a colossal disappointment. A franchise of maestros in the art of disappointment.

It is pretty funny that they'll be facing the other "what the hell happened in the first half" team in the Tampa Bay Rays.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Red posted:

Gotta make room for Myles Straw

Thanks for reminding me the Astros got Yainer Diaz for Straw :getin:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/mlbrums/status/1708667314059575394?t=3FBH5f7NZPGTB82v5gc47A&s=19

Huge if true!!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh boy, the Bauer stuff has kicked back up again. He's given his side of the story, not gonna link it but it's easy to find if you want to go down the rabbit hole again.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Concerning!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

This is so comically silly and empty I love the Hell out of it.

RUMOR: Tony Phillips is expected to think it would be cool if they were interested.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

seiferguy posted:

Huge if true!!

ITEM!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Hola, Amigos.

Long time since I hot stoved at ya.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Tony Phillips posted:

Hola, Amigos.

Long time since I hot stoved at ya.

:hai:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

le gasp!

The team that overbid against itself trying to court him 5 years ago is still interested after he won three MVP awards? I don't believe it!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

(team) interested in Shohei is the most nothing headline imaginable

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Intruder posted:

(team) interested in Shohei is the most nothing headline imaginable

Every GM: Wait, a ballplayer who can pitch and hit?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Mariners always seemed like a legit threat to get Ohtani to me.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

https://twitter.com/martinonyc/status/1708959098954256401?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:yeshaha:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Boone wasn't the main problem but him staying won't appease the masses

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

One thing is for sure, Boone knows when his guys are havin' a hell of a game, and he won't stand for an ump not seeing that.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38550277/jim-caple-former-espn-national-mlb-writer-dies-61

Jim Caple died, apparently of ALS. I used to really enjoy his articles because they were pretty lighthearted reading. He was 61.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I loving love that the Yankees finished just well enough at the end to run it back.

They're never going to learn. And it rules.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38550277/jim-caple-former-espn-national-mlb-writer-dies-61

Jim Caple died, apparently of ALS. I used to really enjoy his articles because they were pretty lighthearted reading. He was 61.

Awwww hell :smith:

Caple was a great writer. And ALS is just a horrific way to go.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boone’s job was safe the second Judge publicly supported him. Judge’s opinion matters much more than the screaming masses.

But also I don’t think Cashman or the Yankees have fired a manager since Buck. It’s a business style more than anything else. Boone isn’t the problem. Managers are fired as scapegoats. The Yankees don’t do that since Steinbrenner died and to some extent that’s probably because of what an rear end in a top hat Steinbrenner was with that tactic.

The Yankees were somehow the worst constructed team in history and also the worst managed team in history and also the most underperforming team in history. Trolls gonna troll. You just gotta ignore them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 3, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Phil Nevin out as Angels manager

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

still can't believe they kept Nevin around to lead our potential last season with Ohtani. Just why.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Boone’s job was safe the second Judge publicly supported him. Judge’s opinion matters much more than the screaming masses.

But also I don’t think Cashman or the Yankees have fired a manager since Buck. It’s a business style more than anything else. Boone isn’t the problem. Managers are fired as scapegoats. The Yankees don’t do that since Steinbrenner died and to some extent that’s probably because of what an rear end in a top hat Steinbrenner was with that tactic.

The Yankees were somehow the worst constructed team in history and also the worst managed team in history and also the most underperforming team in history. Trolls gonna troll. You just gotta ignore them.

basically everything I said about the team was right yet i'm trolling according to you heh.

i will agree with you that manager doesn't matter that much but i don't see why the Yankees need to have a manager who is universally thought of as mediocre. there isn't anyone in the world who thinks that boone is a top half of the league manager and i don't see why the yankees shouldn't have one of the best managers in the sport but the organization is both incompetent and arrogant and it's likely they will change nothing in the way they do things because they legitimately think everything is going great.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They’ve talked extensively about completely reevaluating their usage of analytics and all. They made a deliberate shift to their young prospects the last month and going back to the decision to make Volpe and opening day starter. They’re still gonna have big contracts and they’re probably gonna re-sign Gleyber and they’ll have competition for Ohtani and Bellinger. So people are gonna scream and be mad because they want some kind of complete transformation with no actual practical plan of how to do it. So they’ll just keep complaining.

I’d point out that everything you said didn’t come through and you’ve been predicting a Yankee collapse for years and congrats you finally got one. If you constantly predict failure you’ll eventually be right every time. But we all both know there’s no point to this. We’ve done this.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 3, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Bringing in a bunch of McKinsey ghouls to tell management what they want to hear isn't really all that impressive to me. Sorry.

The team hasn't been in the world series in 14 years so what i've been saying about the horrific way the team has been built in the last few years is pretty valid. They had literally no choice but to bring up young players in September. That is what every single team that is out of the playoffs does. They have made a clear choice not to start to turn over this roster for years and years of failure and for you to say that they can't remake the roster unless they sign Ohtani or Bellinger (which I'm against) is just completely foolish. They can clearly turn this roster over without signing either of those guys if they realy recognize that something is wrong with the way the team is built which I have no idea if they do or not. We'll see what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would be genuinely curious as to what you think their path forward is beyond firing people.