Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Altuve doesn't look any different, same buzz cut and everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Popete posted:

lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Popete posted:

heh

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Trying to decide if I want to renew my mlb.tv and pay attention at all this season. As a Giants and Cards fan... this season is really gonna be a dire as I think it'll be, isn't it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tayter Swift posted:

Trying to decide if I want to renew my mlb.tv and pay attention at all this season. As a Giants and Cards fan... this season is really gonna be a dire as I think it'll be, isn't it.

Giants have Jorge Soler, he mashes dingers and is cool.

he's still cool right

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The Cardinals are probably gonna win the Central, just because the division is so mediocre and the universe is so cruel.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Everyone thought that last year and welp.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I hope Reinsdorf takes his cheap rear end to another city. I'm gonna be pissed if he gets even a cent of public money for his new stadium. Since 1991, the last time the White Sox got a brand new stadium, they have made the playoffs half as many times as the Oakland A's. This is even more pathetic when you realize they've been in the AL Central with the Tigers and Royals, who have the 28th and 30th most wins since 1991. If you exclude 2005, the last time the White Sox won a playoff series was in 1917. Reinsdorf laughed when asked if he was going to try to get Ohtani. Just loving leave and sell the Bulls while you're at it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs are *at best* about as good on paper as they were last year, and honestly probably worse with the loss of Bellinger unless Busch really does mash. They will hopefully get some reinforcements midseason from guys like Shaw, Horton, PCA, etc but I'd still peg them as an 80-85 win team.

The Brewers lost their two best SP's and got no real replacement but have a big offensive upgrade in Hoskins replacing Rowdy. They really do not feel like a 90+ win team but then again they've had a horseshoe shoved up their rear end for years now so maybe it'll happen again.

The Cardinals *should* get some serious positive offensive regression from Arenado and Goldschmidt and can probably expect a step up from Walker. Gray is a legit ace add but otherwise their rotation is a loving dumpster fire, legit contending for one of the worst looking in MLB right now at 2-5. They're gonna need a lot of offense.

The Pirates have Hayes, Cruz, Joe, Reynolds, and Suwinski who could all be .800+ OPS guys this season, plus a hell of a 1-2 punch in Bednar and Chapman in the back of the pen. The rotation is abysmal even if Priester figures it out. Feels like another all offense team.

The Reds likewise have a ton of potential .800+ OPS guys (Stephenson, Encarnacion-Strand, Candy, Steer, Elly, Fraley, Friedl) but imo have a rotation with more upside than the Cardinals or Pirates: Abbot was solid last year and Greene/Ashcraft feel on the cusp of making it all come together. They feel like a sleeper for the division but honestly I feel that way every year and then they eat poo poo again, lol.

All of this is to say the central is extremely clustered in mediocrity with pretty much every team having a ton of young guys who are big fat question marks. One team getting hot even for a month or two could mean they run away with the division if nobody else follows suit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I hope Reinsdorf takes his cheap rear end to another city. I'm gonna be pissed if he gets even a cent of public money for his new stadium.
:hai::hai::hai:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Leave it to Reinsdorf to take the owner scamming playbook to a new level. Trying to pull the same fake threat he did 35 years ago to get another stadium is truly unhinged rich guy behavior. Oh no, the stadium you got taxpayer money for 35 years ago is already "outdated" and insufficient? Guess you hosed up when you built in then huh? Guess you should have had some more long term vision. Literally the consequences of your own actions, rear end in a top hat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm fairly confident that Pritzker would tell Jerry to eat poo poo but Johnson's honestly been kind of a clueless dullard so far in his tenure as Chicago mayor and I worry he'd fork over a ton of city money/tax breaks in a misguided attempt to gin up some much needed positive PR for his office.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trevor May had a video about the whole Rendon thing and I don't think he had anything groundbreaking to say. What was interesting is he said he first met Rendon when he was with the Nats and him and a bunch of guys were shooting the poo poo and talking about other sports and Rendon was like "man, I wish I was this good at basketball instead of baseball".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhXkpWX8uCM&t=265s

Generally his opinion on it is "feel how you feel, but optics matter"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Spring Training has begun! Post about meaningless stats and records here.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Cardinals will win 84-85 games and the NL central.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Cardinals will win 84-85 games and the NL central.

And the NLCS over the Dodgers-beating team, let's say the.... Mets, then shockingly the WS over the Orioles in 6 games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

And the NLCS over the Dodgers-beating team, let's say the.... Mets, then shockingly the WS over the Orioles in 6 games

this is extremely bad to post

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Don't you speak that evil into the world. :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The real WS winner to fear is the Cubs because the last time that happened in an election year, well...

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Sydin posted:

All of this is to say the central is extremely clustered in mediocrity with pretty much every team having a ton of young guys
Thanks Sydin for the insight :) I think I'll check back a couple months into the season and see if I want to get back in. I had a bad assumption that this was just The Dodgers' Year and written it off.

There's a personal aspect too. I'm a Cards fan by virtue of my Grandfather, who passed away last year and thus won't be chatting with me about how they're doing. I think he died still wanting Marmol fired over game 1 of the 2022 Wild Card.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sydin posted:

The real WS winner to fear is the Cubs because the last time that happened in an election year, well...

That's why Bellinger won't be a Cub this season.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

I think by now we've all realized we're screwed regardless of the result, so Go Cubs Go Hail Satan :toot:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dameius posted:

That's why Bellinger won't be a Cub this season.

You'd think his mom, Ann Coulter, would be pressuring him to be a Cub for that very purpose

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

I had a bad assumption that this was just The Dodgers' Year and written it off.
my friend have you ever seen October baseball before?

Maybe to put it another way, the last time an MLB entered the season as the "favorites" and then won the World Series was probably the 1999 Yankees.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 22, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Maybe to put it another way, the last time an MLB entered the season as the "favorites" and then won the World Series was probably the 1999 Yankees.

2016 cubs

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Were the Cubs the consensus best team in baseball entering 2016? Were they even considered favorites for their division? They were a 3rd place wild card team the year before and what I remember of the narrative around that time was "this is a young and talented Cubs team that is just entering the start of their competitive window."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
e. ^ They were only third place because their 97 wins was lower than the 98 and 100 the Pirates and Cardinals got. They were coming off an NLCS appearance and added Heyward, Lackey, and Zobrist on top in the off-season, plus Fowler coming back. Bryant was also coming off RotY and both he and Rizzo were early popular MVP predictions.

Yeah 2016 Cubs were getting loads of "team of destiny" hype prior to the start of the season and by the ASB it was basically consensus they were WS favorites.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 22, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
They were the fave per fangraphs: https://www.fangraphs.com/standings/playoff-odds-graphs?lg=A&div=A&stat=ws&year=2016

HEAVY division favorites too.

(also the Dodgers were the preseason faves in 2020 lol, but it wasn't a runaway favorite and obviously that season was weird)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ask any Cubs fan, yes they were and are the consensus every year

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

wow preseason favorites win all the time, might as well start making parade plans now

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm glad bawfuls has joined us in embracing doomposting

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Dodgers are going to show up to the postseason this year with Gaterol + 12 SP's.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

joined? Like I'm a new arrival to pessimism about my team meeting expectations?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Im a Blue Jays fan. So no.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Intruder posted:

I pity anyone who can look into Mookie's megawatt smile and not see a better world.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Im a Blue Jays fan. So no.
perhaps the single most entertaining postseason inning I've ever seen involved the Blue Jays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDm3RdEbStU&t=5933s

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 22, 2024

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
well here’s this i guess

https://twitter.com/eric_kelly/status/1760413592896340349?s=46&t=2RtKUZF-7mtwaGnhOLp93A

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao the community note, site full of loving bootlickers

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

bawfuls posted:

perhaps the single most entertaining postseason inning I've ever seen involved the Blue Jays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDm3RdEbStU&t=5933s

ya those Jays teams were fun :sigh:

The 2015 Jays vs Rangers series was awesome. The atmosphere in the skydome was crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Few things here:

"A billionaire in LA" it's loving FRANK MCCOURT yes the same one

The funding mechanism is extremely vague and undefined right now

Frank is trying to give this contract to a company that his son owns.

Even the gondola-boosters' most optimistic projections claim it can move at most 5000 people per hour, which is next to nothing for a stadium that holds 56,000 people.

Just Build Trains you fuckers!