Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I would be genuinely curious as to what you think their path forward is beyond firing people.

Other than Judge and Volpe they should dump as much of the rest of the lineup as possible including being willing to eat money to do it and attack the mid tier FA market and trade market trying to get as many lefty hitters as possible and don't prospect hug. I have no idea who is going to be available or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly the Yankees just need some consistent offensive performers besides Judge. As soon as he got hurt the Yankees had no answer, he really did put the '22 team on his back and if you look at the lineup this year, the only guy besides Judge with an OPS+ above 100 is Torres at 118. Not even saying you need to dip into the Ohtani or Bellinger pools, just go get 2-3 guys who are likely to give you something in the 105-115 OPS+ range instead of 85-95 and suddenly the roster looks a whole lot more likely to survive another Judge injury.

Oh and pray to the arm gods that Rodon still has a couple seasons of his elbow not exploding left in him I guess.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Other than Judge and Volpe they should dump as much of the rest of the lineup as possible including being willing to eat money to do it and attack the mid tier FA market and trade market trying to get as many lefty hitters as possible and don't prospect hug. I have no idea who is going to be available or not.

That’s not actually a plan. What happens when you spend money unloading anyone who was productive and can’t actually sign or trade for better players? You just tank? And you’re doing that through the early years of your massive Judge contract or Cole/Rodon contracts?

This is what I hate about the sports radio caller fandom. It’s all anger and wanting blood and turnover but never actually a practical plan of how to clean up afterwards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

That’s not actually a plan. What happens when you spend money unloading anyone who was productive and can’t actually sign or trade for better players? You just tank? And you’re doing that through the early years of your massive Judge contract or Cole/Rodon contracts?

This is what I hate about the sports radio caller fandom. It’s all anger and wanting blood and turnover but never actually a practical plan of how to clean up afterwards.

It's funny that you think that if the Yankees were tanking other than Cole and Judge that it would look all that much different from the 2023 season. There are no other productive hitters on the team other than Torres who they could probably get something for no matter what I think of him.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 3, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My favorite thing about managers is the revolving door nature of the job. Every year 6ish guys all change cities as if any of them will be revelations to the team they're arriving at. They're like middling relievers and it's hilarious to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

Honestly the Yankees just need some consistent offensive performers besides Judge. As soon as he got hurt the Yankees had no answer, he really did put the '22 team on his back and if you look at the lineup this year, the only guy besides Judge with an OPS+ above 100 is Torres at 118. Not even saying you need to dip into the Ohtani or Bellinger pools, just go get 2-3 guys who are likely to give you something in the 105-115 OPS+ range instead of 85-95 and suddenly the roster looks a whole lot more likely to survive another Judge injury.

Oh and pray to the arm gods that Rodon still has a couple seasons of his elbow not exploding left in him I guess.

If you’re looking for signs of hope from this season it’s very good second half performances from Torres and LaMahieu. Stanton seems broken physically. Hopefully Rizzo will recover but who knows? But you have to hope Torres and DJ keep it rolling. I think they’ll go after Bellinger and hope they get Dominguez mid season. But I don’t really see the other options available for them.

And yeah staff wise just have to hope Rodon and Cortes can be healthy. Hope King and Schmidt can develop into mid rotation starters. Maybe offer one year deals to Severino and Montas since you can never have too much depth assuming internal health reports are good. But again I don’t see the transformative move out there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

If you’re looking for signs of hope from this season it’s very good second half performances from Torres and LaMahieu. Stanton seems broken physically. Hopefully Rizzo will recover but who knows? But you have to hope Torres and DJ keep it rolling. I think they’ll go after Bellinger and hope they get Dominguez mid season. But I don’t really see the other options available for them.

And yeah staff wise just have to hope Rodon and Cortes can be healthy. Hope King and Schmidt can develop into mid rotation starters. Maybe offer one year deals to Severino and Montas since you can never have too much depth assuming internal health reports are good. But again I don’t see the transformative move out there.

So basically you want to run it back again and hope it works out better with maybe Bellinger who is a COLLOSSALLY risky signing. I'm sure that will work out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Basically what he's saying is the Yankees have few-to-no majors-ready prospects of significance and the free agent pool isn't very good either, so they are what they are for now and should focus on developing young players for lack of anything better to do.

Which mid-tier free agents do you want them to target, and about how many years/how much annual salary do you imagine it will take to sign them? Be specific.

e: oh wait you acknowledged you have no idea which free agents are even available. So we're back to having no plan.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

So basically you want to run it back again and hope it works out better with maybe Bellinger who is a COLLOSSALLY risky signing. I'm sure that will work out.

It's a much better plan than dump/sell everyone but Judge and Volpe and then try to compete with 29 other teams to fill in the other 7 spots.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

I want to address the problem from a productive angle instead of an angry one. Get younger and more athletic with the kids, improve where you can, re-evaluate your approach. Once again do you have something to offer other than “burn it all down”?

I’m not particularly sold on Bellinger myself. But the Yankees are gonna wanna do something and he fits so I think that will be the off-season target. The only other name that stands out to me is Chapman and his 2023 feels like it makes him a no go.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

I want to address the problem from a productive angle instead of an angry one. Get younger and more athletic with the kids, improve where you can, re-evaluate your approach. Once again do you have something to offer other than “burn it all down”?

What the hell are they burning down by getting rid of worthless players? They have to sign good mid tier FAs and make some good trades. That is what the GM is paid 8 million a year to do, no?

MrMidnight posted:

It's a much better plan than dump/sell everyone but Judge and Volpe and then try to compete with 29 other teams to fill in the other 7 spots.

Who are they dumping in that scenario with even a positive VORP other than Torres?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 3, 2023

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

my plan to improve my team is to replace every player with a better one

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Who are they dumping in that scenario with even a positive VORP other than Torres?

Give me names of 5 players they could get that would be better.

Eric the Mauve posted:

e: oh wait you acknowledged you have no idea which free agents are even available. So we're back to having no plan.

Why do any of us bother with mcmagic

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Basically what he's saying is the Yankees have few-to-no majors-ready prospects of significance and the free agent pool isn't very good either, so they are what they are for now and should focus on developing young players for lack of anything better to do.

Which mid-tier free agents do you want them to target, and about how many years/how much annual salary do you imagine it will take to sign them? Be specific.

Yeah. If you could just turn a team over in one offseason a lot of teams would do it. It doesn’t work that way. Even with unlimited money. You work with what you have and what’s available. Stanton and Rizzo might be broken for good. So what do you do about that? Can you improve on that? Gleyber and DJ have shown productivity. Do you focus on what they are or what they’re not? Is there a better option?

Those are the real questions the actual people running the team have to ask. They don’t have the liberty of just making a list of people to get rid of and then shrugging your shoulders at what comes next.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah. If you could just turn a team over in one offseason a lot of teams would do it. It doesn’t work that way. Even with unlimited money. You work with what you have and what’s available. Stanton and Rizzo might be broken for good. So what do you do about that? Can you improve on that? Gleyber and DJ have shown productivity. Do you focus on what they are or what they’re not? Is there a better option?

Those are the real questions the actual people running the team have to ask. They don’t have the liberty of just making a list of people to get rid of and then shrugging your shoulders at what comes next.

I have no idea who is available on the trade market which is going have to be a huge part of it. That is dumb speculation that I can't do because I'm not a GM and your contention that it's completely unrealistic to expect a GM to "make good trades" is just smooth brained. If you're a good GM, you find ways to make good trades!!! Cashman even used to make good trades from time to time.... back in the Bush administration.

We all know who the good mid tier FA's are going to be. Guys like Candelario, Kiermeier, Pederson, Garver, Conforto, Rosario. I'd love to see them sign Justin Turner if he's available even though he's a righty.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Intruder posted:

my plan to improve my team is to replace every player with a better one

Why didn't I think of that. You're hired.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Bregor posted:

Why didn't I think of that. You're hired.

Just don't ask me how. Just trust me. I'm the best GM ever. I can also predict the future

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

attack the mid tier FA market and trade market trying to get as many lefty hitters as possible and don't prospect hug.

Wasn't this the Project 189 years?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Do you all engage with the guy covered in his own poo poo on the train? Just ignore him because nothing is going to change.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

Just don't ask me how. Just trust me. I'm the best GM ever. I can also predict the future

Trade your bad players for better players, easy peasy

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

MrMidnight posted:

Curious about what I'm supposed to post? I just listed a list of mid tier FA's they should look at. Should i make up trades like a sports talk radio caller? you don't as a fan have enough information to judge the trade market.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Do you all engage with the guy covered in his own poo poo on the train? Just ignore him because nothing is going to change.

nothing else going on tonight :v:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Curious about what I'm supposed to post? I just listed a list of mid tier FA's they should look at. Should i make up trades like a sports talk radio caller? you don't as a fan have enough information to judge the trade market.

I don't want you to post anything. My post was a joke

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I'm on an 8 hour flight on business. Otherwise yeah I would be playing some Diablo or something

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

I'm on an 8 hour flight on business. Otherwise yeah I would be playing some Diablo or something

I'm watching monday night raw so clearly I don't value my time enough

Bregor
May 31, 2013

mcmagic posted:

I enjoy the back and forth with other Yankeesposters

:justpost:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Let the Yankees fans post

We will all survive it

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you're ever unsure what to post about just remember this simple acronym!

C.U.B.S

Continue
Unloading
Bellinger's
Skrilla

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unfortunately for Cubs fans it’s an election year, and the Ricketts need to take the money for Bellinger and put it into a Trump PAC

The rumor is they're going to trade a bunch of good prospects for a year of Pete Alonso. That way they can claim they replaced Bellinger in the lineup without having to commit big money long term. Basically the approach they took when they traded their top prospects for a cheap contract in Quintana instead of getting Verlander who wanted to play in Chicago,

It's cool that the Cubs have a nice farm system but it'll just be used to trade for safe contracts so they don't have to commit money in free agency.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I just love the idea that my magic would be sated by "mid-tier FAs".

Just lol. lmao.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

The rumor is they're going to trade a bunch of good prospects for a year of Pete Alonso. That way they can claim they replaced Bellinger in the lineup without having to commit big money long term. Basically the approach they took when they traded their top prospects for a cheap contract in Quintana instead of getting Verlander who wanted to play in Chicago,

It's cool that the Cubs have a nice farm system but it'll just be used to trade for safe contracts so they don't have to commit money in free agency.

Only FA rumors I've heard is that the Cubs are thought to be pretty aggressive in wanting to woo Yoshinobu Yamamoto when he gets posted. Going after Alonso would be really dumb after he flat out said he did not want to be traded and wouldn't sign an extension with anybody besides the Mets.

I definitely think the Cubs are going to stand pat in a lot of areas and piss fans off. Alzolay, Merryweather, Leiter, Little, Smyly, Assad should all be locks for the pen, and Cuas/Palencia/Keegan/Hughes can fight for the last couple spots. They'll bring in some veteran arms because every team does that every year, but they won't splash on any big pen guys. Likewise most of the rotation is already set (Stroman, Hendricks, Steele, Taillon) the only question is will they actually try to bring in a front of the rotation guy or just let Wicks/Wesneski/etc duke it out for the 5th spot. Lineup-wise they need answers for 1B, 3B, and CF. All of these could be solved internally on the cheap (Mervis 1B, Wisdom/Mastrobuoni/Madrigal 3B, Canario/PCA CF). Alternatively they have a TON of guys absolutely raking in AAA/AA who are hopelessly blocked, so why not trade some of that depth for a sure fire guy or two? Cubs desperately need actual slugging, Cody and Morel tied for most HR's on the team at 26 apiece.

All that said they do have ~$50M to play around with before they start creeping into the first tier of the tax, and something like an additional $50M comes off the books after the 2024 season. So they should have flexibility, who knows how they'll use it though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Scoring question. Had this pop up in a game I saw tonight:

A batter bunted a ball, but touched the batted ball in fair territory while running to first. I know the batter is out and the ball is dead. How is it scored, though?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's scored as interference--I'm not certain if it goes down as runner's interference or batter's interference, I think the former. But the result is the same either way: batter is out, it counts as an at-bat, runners have to return to their original base.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Only FA rumors I've heard is that the Cubs are thought to be pretty aggressive in wanting to woo Yoshinobu Yamamoto when he gets posted. Going after Alonso would be really dumb after he flat out said he did not want to be traded and wouldn't sign an extension with anybody besides the Mets.

I definitely think the Cubs are going to stand pat in a lot of areas and piss fans off. Alzolay, Merryweather, Leiter, Little, Smyly, Assad should all be locks for the pen, and Cuas/Palencia/Keegan/Hughes can fight for the last couple spots. They'll bring in some veteran arms because every team does that every year, but they won't splash on any big pen guys. Likewise most of the rotation is already set (Stroman, Hendricks, Steele, Taillon) the only question is will they actually try to bring in a front of the rotation guy or just let Wicks/Wesneski/etc duke it out for the 5th spot. Lineup-wise they need answers for 1B, 3B, and CF. All of these could be solved internally on the cheap (Mervis 1B, Wisdom/Mastrobuoni/Madrigal 3B, Canario/PCA CF). Alternatively they have a TON of guys absolutely raking in AAA/AA who are hopelessly blocked, so why not trade some of that depth for a sure fire guy or two? Cubs desperately need actual slugging, Cody and Morel tied for most HR's on the team at 26 apiece.

All that said they do have ~$50M to play around with before they start creeping into the first tier of the tax, and something like an additional $50M comes off the books after the 2024 season. So they should have flexibility, who knows how they'll use it though.

Would love if they went after Yamamoto.

Alonso seems highly unlikely but if they do end up giving away PCA, Ben Brown, or Cade Horton I will be very upset.

Sadly Cool Kyle is not a lock, they would be dumb and bad to not pick up his team option but then again #thatscub

If they go into 2024 with 3B as some sort of Widsom/Madrigal/Mastrobuoni amalgam I will go berserk

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Even if the Cubs don't want Kyle next year (which would suck!) they'll still pick his option up. He's on what is effectively a 1/16 contract, which is way less than what he'd command after a successful bounce back. They'd probably trade him before paying him to leave for nothing.

3B is probably going to be a clusterfuck next year unless they can bring Candy back on a 2-3 year deal. They're not balling out for Chapman, and Shaw looks like he'll probably ready for the job in a year or two but won't be ready to open next season. Maybe they try to make Morel stick there again or something but I'm guessing it's gonna be platoon city.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

I’m not particularly sold on Bellinger myself. But the Yankees are gonna wanna do something and he fits so I think that will be the off-season target. The only other name that stands out to me is Chapman and his 2023 feels like it makes him a no go.

I would stay far away from Bellinger. He might be fixed but I'd let the Cubs or whoever find out

Yankees should be all over Yamamoto though, they need rotation help.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/RiverAveBlues/status/1708963049032335640

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Phil Nevin out as Angels manager

I mean, okay. Sure, fine.

just makes me madder at Rendon

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Boone is really whatever at his job, but he isn't the problem so ultimately it doesn't actually matter if he is there or not. It's really obvious he is just there more or less as a puppet/yes man for the guys upstairs and his only real job is to manage the locker room and go out there and be a human shield for the media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That's all any major league manager's job is now.