Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Giants had a few guys like Joey Bart and Hunter Bishop who were great in college but have just not done anything as professionals

The Marlins have had a similar issue with a guy who was great in college but has poo poo the bed as a pro (Jacob Berry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So happy Anthopolous got fired so the Jays could focus on developping their prospects

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/mikemayer22/status/1760674221083279699

Meet the mets meet the mets. step right up and greet the mets! bring your kiddies, bring your wife guaranteed to have the time of your life!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'd be interested to see, but I bet the "every round pick" ranking wouldn't be terribly different.

Also I thought this was a funny quote from Judge

quote:

“I’ve always been a guy about, you win games when you drive people in…RBIs and runs have always mattered to me, that's one thing that I try to take pride in. It may not be something you can measure, but driving a guy in is a skill.”

You actually can measure runs batted in. (I get what he's saying but the way he worded it....anyway, it actually led to a fangraphs writer putting together a model like Judge is looking for)

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 22, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/1760682015782052322

just brutal

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zoux posted:

I'd be interested to see, but I bet the "every round pick" ranking wouldn't be terribly different.

Also I thought this was a funny quote from Judge

You actually can measure runs batted in. (I get what he's saying but the way he worded it....anyway, it actually led to a fangraphs writer putting together a model like Judge is looking for)

Isn't that the guy that posts in here sometimes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Someone pried open Bob Nutting’s wallet long enough to extend Mitch Keller for 5 years, $77 mil

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

Isn't that the guy that posts in here sometimes

Tis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh hey the Marlins finally signed an MLB free agent.

https://twitter.com/russ_dorsey1/status/1760690047773528400?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which poster is Aaron Judge

So is he for sure washed or just having a couple bad seasons

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hard to tell. Could be a hell of a deal for Miami.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Getting the hell away from the Chicago White Sox might do a guy some good.

e: though I guess it didn't work for Giolito

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

zoux posted:

The really tall one.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

More jersey fuckups for MLB players

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1760185976167580047

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

The really tall one.

I am not Aaron Judge, sadly.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hard to tell. Could be a hell of a deal for Miami.

I assume they're hoping he has a good enough first half he looks like he's Back and they can pick up a few prospects at the deadline

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

zoux posted:

mcmagic

(I'm actually Gleyber)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

mcmagic

(I'm actually Gleyber)

I hear you suck and should be traded.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize Anderson was a -2.0 bWAR player last season :stare:. Still that is a pretty easy roll of the dice for a team, 1/5.5 is pocket change for a potential bounce back all star player.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
The Twins look bad because they went through a rebuild under the previous FO, who basically whiffed on all their top picks. Extremely telling that Royce Lewis, the first from the current leadership, is the top overall.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

I didn't realize Anderson was a -2.0 bWAR player last season :stare:. Still that it is a pretty easy roll of the dice for a team, 1/5.5 is pocket change for a potential bounce back all star player.

TA may be cooked, but he may be able to reinvent himself a bit:

https://bsky.app/profile/cdgoldstein.baseballprospectus.com/post/3klzct3b62s2d

EDIT: Oh right, Bsky doesn't embed. It's Craig Goldstein from Baseball Prospectus saying he should try to lift-and-pull more, because he still hits the ball hard, but can't outrun all the grounders anymore.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
dunno how many still lurk or how many would even admit to it in hindsight but an absolutely enormous number of journalists/media figures came out of some corner of this accursed place

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

mcmagic

(I'm actually Gleyber)

You can't be, mcmagic is actually Gleyber. All the hate is to cover his trail.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Popete posted:

I didn't realize Anderson was a -2.0 bWAR player last season :stare:. Still that is a pretty easy roll of the dice for a team, 1/5.5 is pocket change for a potential bounce back all star player.

Is -2 bWAR better or worse than Jackie Robinson?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Popete posted:

We also badly needed someone to play shortstop

The options at SS internally were either Jon Berti or someone like Xavier Edwards (maybe). Not ideal.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
no wait mcmagic is Josh Donaldson

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

zoux posted:

He had among his best seasons defensively and his bat disappeared last year. If he has some positive regression offensively and is half as good defensively as last year he's worth $5.5m. I don't think he's totally washed but it's not like there's a lot of risk with that contract.

E: holy poo poo he was bad defensively, I mixed up last year and 2022. A sub-600 OPS for a bat first SS might not work out

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah Anderson last year was, uh...

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Is -2 bWAR better or worse than Jackie Robinson?

It's cool that you constantly take a quote that was about how black men are seen in baseball and use it like this. Very cool

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's cool that you constantly take a quote that was about how black men are seen in baseball and use it like this. Very cool

It was a quote where a lovely player compared himself to an all time great and then was a big pissbaby when he was made fun of for it.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Anderson is most likely washed but it's a cheap enough gamble/no commitment deal

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/BaseballQuotes1/status/1760306126846136799

lmao Votto rules

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol :boom:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Inspector_666 posted:

mcmagic

(I'm actually Gleyber)

We've been trying to trade you for years but no one's interested. reddit won't even give up their 3 best prospects

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Sydin posted:

Yeah Anderson last year was, uh...

I want to see the splits before and after he got knocked out

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
https://x.com/ebusbar/status/1760731055240401311?s=46&t=qe_Y8YJnNikGLo_JUDPyAQ

*Duke Nukem voice* BALLS

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It was a quote where a lovely player compared himself to an all time great and then was a big pissbaby when he was made fun of for it.

Ok again he's talking about being a black man in a mostly white sport.

quote:

I kind of feel like today's Jackie Robinson … That's huge to say, but it's cool, man, because he changed the game, and I feel like I'm getting to a point where I need to change the game."

And:

"Just use it as motivation, all the things he went through … just being thankful for the moment, and for him paving the way for us. Continue to go out and continue to have fun with it … There's not really many Black kids in our league, so we're going to do it, we're going to motivate these kids, we're going to inspire them. That's something I take pride in. And I definitely always look forward to wearing 42."

Reminder that this article came in the wake of his best friend being shot to death and Anderson working a lot with at risk youth.

But ya make fun of him for it and defend loving Josh Donaldson who's own teammates wouldn't

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the thing to remember about the anderson signing is that the other likely starting SS option for miami was a 34 year old jon berti

they're really just looking for someone to stand there until Jacob Amaya shows any ability to hit major league pitching

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

LobsterMobster posted:

I want to see the splits before and after he got knocked out

I'm pretty sure the fight was late in the season and Anderson was still bad before then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1760741288725598345

Altuve loving hates shortstops