Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Yankees should hire Joe Maddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cashman should absolutely be fired but he’s too connected with ownership to take the blame for anything

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
He'll get moved to a sinecure in another year or two.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Managers should have to make 100 PA and 10 IP a year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/snyyankees/status/1709218785004290505

lol the Yankees legitimately think they are doing everything right and just getting VERY VERY VERY unlucky.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Pardon my complete ignorance, and this might be because I watched way too much Ted Lasso, but is there a reason why baseball doesn’t have a day to day assistant coach(es) like both versions of football? Or is that why the 1b/3b managers are for?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They have hitting and pitching coaches

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

They have hitting and pitching coaches

They multiple pitching and hitting coaches.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

I think I’m referring more to like one guy who helps with lineups and when to sub in players and stuff like that. Though come to think of it I think the pitching coach is the one who calls go the bullpen.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bench coach is most like an assistant coach. It's generally who steps in when the manager's rear end is in the jackpot.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Miz Kriss posted:

Pardon my complete ignorance, and this might be because I watched way too much Ted Lasso, but is there a reason why baseball doesn’t have a day to day assistant coach(es) like both versions of football? Or is that why the 1b/3b managers are for?
The 1st and 3rd base coaches do often have other responsibilities, like setting the infield/outfield defense. There's also the bench coach. The Red Sox list Varitek as the "Game Planning Coordinator/Catching Coach". But I also dimly recall reading that MLB has limits to how much personal you can have in the dugout during the game.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I was going through old pics last night and found another one that the same guy sent us regarding uniforms in 2018.

Bawfuls how does this fit into your Uniform Theory??

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/snyyankees/status/1709218785004290505

lol the Yankees legitimately think they are doing everything right and just getting VERY VERY VERY unlucky.

Even if they hired a bunch of McKinsey Thanos worshipers, I don't see this team turning things around in the next few years. Like, what are the outcomes? Ok, fire everyone. Gonna take forever to hire up a new team and revamp the total organizational strategy. Ok, change everything. Gonna take forever to ADKAR that poo poo with the people you have.

They still have a bunch of money (and years) invested in aging stars that can't hit fastballs anymore. (This is very damning, imo. Early in the window they were one of the best fastball-hitting teams in the majors, and now they're near the bottom.) They've been acting like drafting at the bottom of the first round is going to provide a superstar youth movement since 2000, and while they've had some hits (Cano, Judge, Gleyber) and some major what if's (Sevy, Sanchez, Frazier) they're not able to use their farm to build a credible supporting cast for their stars. They could spend their way out of this by going full Cohen, but I wouldn't trust them to spend the money on the right things since they haven't done that consistently in years.

Tanking isn't an option for Judge/Cole window reasons and PR reasons, and I'm not sure that's a good option for them anyway. They can't sell because who would buy anyone outside of Gleyber and King at a fair price?

They just seem a generation or two behind the leaders in the league in player development and roster construction.

In short, the Yankees are a land of contrasts. Sell the team, Hal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The got literally NOTHING from any position player other than Judge and Gleyber this season and I feel like the pitching was good enough at least to make the playoffs....

IDK if they can become a WS contender next year but they 100% can put a better product on the field than the dogshit we had to sit through in 2023 with a few smart trades/mid level FA signings. And more importantly being willing to eat money or include prospects to get rid of guys.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 3, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Do the Yankees even have much to trade? The farm system doesn't seem like it has a whole lot that isn't needed for the actual team.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Boone's not in the front office?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So it seems like Trevor Bauer got a little bit hosed over?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What the hell is up with Stanton? He's going through what feels like a late-30's slugger decline even though he's only 33.

mcmagic posted:

I've not read his new statements but unless he turned over legit proof that he did not in fact beat a woman half to death and has been credibly accused of doing the same to multiple other women, then I really do not give a poo poo about the circumstances around why he did those things.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
broken by injuries

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm not very deep into the story but he has texts from this woman talking about holding him up for money and a video she took of them in bed together that is supposedly after he beat her up and she doesn't have any of those bruises? She was also apparently denied a restraining order which is very rare and might indicate that the judge thought she was lying. The thing seems less clear cut than I thought but who knows. It's not like i think Bauer should be given the benefit of the doubt.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Sydin posted:

What the hell is up with Stanton? He's going through what feels like a late-30's slugger decline even though he's only 33.

My expert opinion as a someone who is old, never played organized sports past 9th grade, and has never had any sort of medical training whatsoever is that his swing is killing him. It seems 95% of his power comes from torquing his lower back violently, which I imagine is tolerable to one's body when they are in their 20s, but holy crap, I cannot fathom doing that more than once a year and being able to walk or sit or do anything besides lay very still for a week or so after.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I'm not very deep into the story but he has texts from this woman talking about holding him up for money and a video she took of them in bed together that is supposedly after he beat her up and she doesn't have any of those bruises? She was also apparently denied a restraining order which is very rare and might indicate that the judge thought she was lying. The thing seems less clear cut than I thought but who knows. It's not like i think Bauer should be given the benefit of the doubt.

There are 3 other accusers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lumpy posted:

My expert opinion as a someone who is old, never played organized sports past 9th grade, and has never had any sort of medical training whatsoever is that his swing is killing him. It seems 95% of his power comes from torquing his lower back violently, which I imagine is tolerable to one's body when they are in their 20s, but holy crap, I cannot fathom doing that more than once a year and being able to walk or sit or do anything besides lay very still for a week or so after.

Check out him trying to score from 2nd on a single lol

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Stephen A: You know I believe women

Skip: Absolutely

Stephen A: BUT!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

TRO denials are not as rare as you would think. It also does not *necessarily* indicate that the judge thinks she is lying. It may indicate that the judge did not find the described behavior to rise to the level of TRO, or (more likely) that there is not enough information to make that order. There are also different levels of TRO available, so it's never clear-cut.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Guys I am one of three Cleveland fans here and even I think Bauer is a shitbag who shouldn't be given any sort of leniency with this poo poo. If he wants to prove it in a court of law, let him. Until then he should shut the gently caress up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If there was solid evidence Bauer didn't do anything wrong or it could be plausibly denied I'm pretty sure the Dodgers would have helped make that clear because they are still paying him to not pitch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah jeez this is what we should be doing. Arguing Trevor Bauer’s innocence.

An accused predator selectively provided questionable evidence that only partially addresses what he’s accused of that was never brought up before? Hmm. That never happens and we should totally listen.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1709225321386414143

Cubs fans should be furious Kyle is not in Chicago

mcmagic posted:

Bauer's "explanation" reads like a Trump rant, if that helps.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Monathin posted:

Guys I am one of three Cleveland fans here and even I think Bauer is a shitbag who shouldn't be given any sort of leniency with this poo poo. If he wants to prove it in a court of law, let him. Until then he should shut the gently caress up.

Well it sounds like it's over right? He wasn't charged, he settled with her and it's not going to court. We'll likely never know the full truth.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Red posted:

Bauer's "explanation" reads like a Trump rant, if that helps.

lord I was scrolling down and thought the first line of that tweet was gonna be about Bauer lmao

I miss Schwarbs so much.

Defector had a very funny and very detailed article about the Phillies' unbuttoned jerseys today, it's a very enjoyable read from start to finish.
https://defector.com/is-the-phillies-good-luck-charm-a-dedication-to-himbo-culture-and-showing-clavicle

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/NYPost_Mets/status/1708975007295046124

lmao okay.

Popete posted:

If there was solid evidence Bauer didn't do anything wrong or it could be plausibly denied I'm pretty sure the Dodgers would have helped make that clear because they are still paying him to not pitch.

Yeah this, by all accounts the Dodgers were trying pretty much to the zero hour to retain Bauer - unsurprising considering how much they were on the hook for paying him - and it all fell apart specifically after Bauer met with ownership and hosed it up enough for them to cut bait. You'd think if he'd had any kind of smoking gun that the allegations were false he'd have turned it over then and saved MLB career, instead of getting banished from the league.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Well it sounds like it's over right? He wasn't charged, he settled with her and it's not going to court. We'll likely never know the full truth.

Here's the thing, though: There was more than one woman involved, and each had similar claims of extreme/visible injury and trauma. There are photos of bruising, and so on.

So. Are we being asked to believe that each case involved a woman who asked Bauer to have violent sex with them, then changed their story and tried to squeeze him for money?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

mcmagic posted:

All the more reason we shouldn't trust any of the poo poo he's spewing about it after the fact, imo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Red posted:

Here's the thing, though: There was more than one woman involved, and each had similar claims of extreme/visible injury and trauma. There are photos of bruising, and so on.

So. Are we being asked to believe that each case involved a woman who asked Bauer to have violent sex with them, then changed their story and tried to squeeze him for money?

Yeah i have a hard time believing that they all made it up and that is why I don't really feel bad for him.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Yeah i have a hard time believing that they all made it up and that is why I don't really feel bad for him.

Yeah. Given what his victims have reported, it's pretty bad. He's an alleged violent rapist with the ability to financially crush these women in court.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

Red posted:

Not furious. More like very very sad but also incredibly happy for him.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Red posted:

Yeah. Given what his victims have reported, it's pretty bad. He's an alleged violent rapist with the ability to financially crush these women in court.

Also like, not to swerve into kinkshaming or anything but even if Bauer is telling the truth and everything he did with every girl was 100% consensual all around, that in order to get off Bauer needs to beat the poo poo out of his partner says all you need to know about him and what kind of person he is, I think.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I shouldn't have even posted the bauer poo poo. It's a waste of time. Sorry thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I shouldn't have even posted the bauer poo poo. It's a waste of time. Sorry thread.

This should probably just be a thread policy at this point. There isn't much left to be said about it.