Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In time I will miss my barely above 500 team during a long cold winter of listening to people scream about firing everyone and trading everyone for a bag of balls and why didn’t they just trade for the best players in baseball easy peasy?

But today I feel some comfort I don’t have a game to watch tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boone’s job was safe the second Judge publicly supported him. Judge’s opinion matters much more than the screaming masses.

But also I don’t think Cashman or the Yankees have fired a manager since Buck. It’s a business style more than anything else. Boone isn’t the problem. Managers are fired as scapegoats. The Yankees don’t do that since Steinbrenner died and to some extent that’s probably because of what an rear end in a top hat Steinbrenner was with that tactic.

The Yankees were somehow the worst constructed team in history and also the worst managed team in history and also the most underperforming team in history. Trolls gonna troll. You just gotta ignore them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 3, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They’ve talked extensively about completely reevaluating their usage of analytics and all. They made a deliberate shift to their young prospects the last month and going back to the decision to make Volpe and opening day starter. They’re still gonna have big contracts and they’re probably gonna re-sign Gleyber and they’ll have competition for Ohtani and Bellinger. So people are gonna scream and be mad because they want some kind of complete transformation with no actual practical plan of how to do it. So they’ll just keep complaining.

I’d point out that everything you said didn’t come through and you’ve been predicting a Yankee collapse for years and congrats you finally got one. If you constantly predict failure you’ll eventually be right every time. But we all both know there’s no point to this. We’ve done this.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 3, 2023

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would be genuinely curious as to what you think their path forward is beyond firing people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Other than Judge and Volpe they should dump as much of the rest of the lineup as possible including being willing to eat money to do it and attack the mid tier FA market and trade market trying to get as many lefty hitters as possible and don't prospect hug. I have no idea who is going to be available or not.

That’s not actually a plan. What happens when you spend money unloading anyone who was productive and can’t actually sign or trade for better players? You just tank? And you’re doing that through the early years of your massive Judge contract or Cole/Rodon contracts?

This is what I hate about the sports radio caller fandom. It’s all anger and wanting blood and turnover but never actually a practical plan of how to clean up afterwards.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

Honestly the Yankees just need some consistent offensive performers besides Judge. As soon as he got hurt the Yankees had no answer, he really did put the '22 team on his back and if you look at the lineup this year, the only guy besides Judge with an OPS+ above 100 is Torres at 118. Not even saying you need to dip into the Ohtani or Bellinger pools, just go get 2-3 guys who are likely to give you something in the 105-115 OPS+ range instead of 85-95 and suddenly the roster looks a whole lot more likely to survive another Judge injury.

Oh and pray to the arm gods that Rodon still has a couple seasons of his elbow not exploding left in him I guess.

If you’re looking for signs of hope from this season it’s very good second half performances from Torres and LaMahieu. Stanton seems broken physically. Hopefully Rizzo will recover but who knows? But you have to hope Torres and DJ keep it rolling. I think they’ll go after Bellinger and hope they get Dominguez mid season. But I don’t really see the other options available for them.

And yeah staff wise just have to hope Rodon and Cortes can be healthy. Hope King and Schmidt can develop into mid rotation starters. Maybe offer one year deals to Severino and Montas since you can never have too much depth assuming internal health reports are good. But again I don’t see the transformative move out there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

So basically you want to run it back again and hope it works out better with maybe Bellinger who is a COLLOSSALLY risky signing. I'm sure that will work out.

I want to address the problem from a productive angle instead of an angry one. Get younger and more athletic with the kids, improve where you can, re-evaluate your approach. Once again do you have something to offer other than “burn it all down”?

I’m not particularly sold on Bellinger myself. But the Yankees are gonna wanna do something and he fits so I think that will be the off-season target. The only other name that stands out to me is Chapman and his 2023 feels like it makes him a no go.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Basically what he's saying is the Yankees have few-to-no majors-ready prospects of significance and the free agent pool isn't very good either, so they are what they are for now and should focus on developing young players for lack of anything better to do.

Which mid-tier free agents do you want them to target, and about how many years/how much annual salary do you imagine it will take to sign them? Be specific.

e: oh wait you acknowledged you have no idea which free agents are even available. So we're back to having no plan.

Yeah. If you could just turn a team over in one offseason a lot of teams would do it. It doesn’t work that way. Even with unlimited money. You work with what you have and what’s available. Stanton and Rizzo might be broken for good. So what do you do about that? Can you improve on that? Gleyber and DJ have shown productivity. Do you focus on what they are or what they’re not? Is there a better option?

Those are the real questions the actual people running the team have to ask. They don’t have the liberty of just making a list of people to get rid of and then shrugging your shoulders at what comes next.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh yeah jeez this is what we should be doing. Arguing Trevor Bauer’s innocence.

An accused predator selectively provided questionable evidence that only partially addresses what he’s accused of that was never brought up before? Hmm. That never happens and we should totally listen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The fantasy scenario in which the Yankees fire Cashman and replace him with Ng is like ignoring all human relationships involved. It’s drat near Shakespearean.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

gently caress ALCS. I am very sorry.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I lost my dad entirely suddenly a long time ago and way too young to be ready but loss is loss. And like you all I have these memories I can still hold onto 20 years later of walking to Yankee Stadium with him on a hot summer day or watching the Knicks with him on a winter night. And that gets more and more important to me the longer it’s been.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also moms are cool too and like sports also. I’ve been blessed with time with my mom and the stress of caring for her in her 80s. And we love watching sports together.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

I do not understand why Yankee fans insist Gleyber Torres is a bad player.

Because Yankee fans basically think a flawed player is a bad player. And with Torres he had so much hype and such a strong start that the idea that he might be a good player who isnt a superstar means he’s a failure and trash. And of course they just like having someone to beat up on and when they do it long enough it doesn’t really let up. It might stop while he’s doing well but the second he screws up or slumps it will come right back.

As usually I doubt there’s much to the Soto story. Cashman has probably inquired and the cost is probably too high. Yanks want a big get to calm the tantrums and jump the team forward and there’s not anyone like that in free agency besides you know who. But Cashman’s never forced it before and I doubt he’d do that now. And trading away like your positives from last season, lessening your rotation, giving up your young developing star. All in the hopes that Soto is gonna turn the team around and resign? I don’t see it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Did I say he is a bad player? I said he will never start on a championship team. OPS+ of 118 and 113 the last two years, exactly in line with his career mark of 115. He is an above average hitter. He stays relatively healthy. These are the positives. His home runs and (occasional)
doubles are what is likely to show up on a highlight reel that might be seen by fans around the league.

-4 DRS and 0.0 dWAR last year at second base. 13/19 on stolen base attempts or 68%, which doesn't take into account all his baserunning mistakes. If you watch him every day (presumably only Yankee fans do this), he makes 3-4 mental mistakes every week that either cost the Yankees an out or give their opponents an extra one.

To look at the whole picture: above average hitter, below average defender, and well below average baserunner. Taken together, that is a very average player, of the type you will only see a couple of on a World Series team, and usually those guys are light-hitting defensive whizzes.

I stand by what I said.
It’s your last paragraph that doesn’t work. It relies on these kind of nebulous undefinable old school ideas of baseball scouting or something. It’s fine and good to acknowledge Gleyber’s flaws. The question is if there’s a better option that doesn’t cost more than you’re gaining. If Gleyber is the difference in getting Juan Soto maybe you do it if you can keep Volpe and Peraza. Maybe you do it if you can’t and just count on Soto making up the difference of whatever you have to do. These are fine evaluations. But the way Yankee fans have simply targeted Gleyber as a problem that has to be expelled from the team is just ridiculous. Especially when he’s been one of most productive members of the team the last season or two. That his flaws are largely mental makes it easy for sports radio to get mad about them after a loss and make it all about him. But then again it also means those things are easier to fix than something physical. But he’s been labeled the “trade him for a bag of balls” and “we can’t win with him” guy.

I said it late in the season. There was a week where he had three monster games in a row and then one bad game where he committed two errors. And I heard sports radio complain “this is who he is and we’ll never win with him”. But we did. We won three games in no small part to him. And lost one. All that counts.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well Played Mauer posted:

I agree with you. I don’t get the narrative that he’s this anchor for the team. He’s a streaky hitter with 00s-era defense and has a tendency to hit well with RISP. He makes baserunning errors but also has a couple bizarre plays a month where he manufactures a run by scrambling like he’s running against a coed softball team’s defense.

You could absolutely get value on the trade block out of him but he’s not a centerpiece for a superstar and unless you’re very high on Volpe going to 2b and surpassing Gleyber’s offense (not something you can count on) it seems silly to get rid of the only dude in the lineup other than Judge that hit better than average last year.

And I think that’s kind of how the Yankees see him. Part of the narrative on Gleyber is that every time a trade rumor comes up he’s mentioned as part of it and when they ask Cashman he gives his standard “we explore all options” answer. So some reporter says “is Gleyber on the block?”, Cashman never says “no”, and an article is written about how the Yankees wanna get rid of him. And that feeds the sports radio fervor that focuses on him because he’s an easy target with his mental errors and drop in power.

I think the reality is that Cashman would move him if it makes sense and improved the team. But he’s not a prospect or failing player. He’s a meaningful and productive part of the team who is young and relatively Inexpensive. So you’re never gonna just give him away the way some fans want. And a deal to get someone like Soto would require much more than just him which is where those deals fall apart. Maybe you’d trade Gleyber or Volpe for Soto. But do you trade both plus more? Because that’s probably the cost.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As I said I don’t imagine there’s much to the Soto story. I’m sure Cashman acquired. I’m sure he’s available for a price. I doubt the Yankees have the package to get it done without dramatically hurting their existing team and creating more holes. And with Soto headed to free agency I doubt he’s a guy you sell out for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It’s just gonna be nonsense click bait articles from now until the winter meetings.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For better or worse the Yankee rotation is more or less setting even assuming Montas, Severino, and German are 100% gone. Cole, Rodan, Cortes, King, and Schmidt is strong if they can be healthy but you can’t really give up Rodan or Cortes spots. Of course if you can get a strong stable arm get it and Cashman has generally moved towards pitching depth. It would be funny if he signed Montgomery or someone and I do think they’re gonna be shopping. But I also think they feel about as comfortable as they ever do with who they have in house.

Position wise the priority is obviously an OFer. Long term that’s a LFer but they need a stop gap for CF until Dominguez can play and Judge can move around even though I doubt they want him to. So I’d they can acquire a big name LF/CF I think they might let Florial/Perera fill the other spot and home Dominguez gets back this season.

I feel like the IF is more or less filled. Gleyber should return, Volpe is the SS, Rizzo will be 1B if he’s healthy, DJLM had an healthy 2022 and excellent second half, and Peraza has to fit in somewhere. If there was a big option to get out there that might be another story but I don’t think you clog that up for Matt Chapman. Unless there is some trade that moves Gleyber/Volpe/Peraza.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As usual my stock response is “how?” But it also feels like it ignores that they actually did turn over like half their lineup and rotation last year. Again if you want better, more established, star options the question is “how?”

It’s been said before but you can’t turn over a roster and compete in a single offseason. Only way to come close is with a bunch of rookies and they’re certainly trying that as much as they can.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It depends on the cost. Like if it really just takes a Morel then you can take the risk on one year of Soto. But if it’s a bigger package then you probably need more assurance it’s not a rental. But that also certainly depends on the team and where they’re at. And whether this happens in the winter or at the deadline.

So I don’t know.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah at best you’re gonna get an empty promise that you’ll get a chance to negotiate before free agency. But anything short of a blow away deal will just be rejected unless he’s secretly hiding a robotic ankle or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think they’ll probably make a run at Yamamoto but it’s always a question of whether their scouting matches the price tag. But there will probably be more pressure to make the signing they can sell in a press conference. In some scenario they hold a joint pc after the winter meetings with Yamamoto and Bellinger and make a hard press in the media that it represents a change.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s not happening so congrats on being free to complain.

I don’t necessarily thing Yamamoto or Bellinger are slam dunk signings. But if the Yankees want to make a splash and aren’t willing or able to go after Ohtani or Soto then they’re probably the 1-2 combo that could create a narrative shift and potentially actually help the team.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Yankees are not trading Aaron Judge. That’s… it’s not a thing that’s gonna happen. Nor are they gonna trade the Cy Young winner. They’re not firesaling and blowing up the team. If their priority was not going over the tax they wouldn’t have signed Judge and Rodon last offseason.

They’re gonna try and compete as some of those contracts wind down and hope enough of their cheap young talent develop to compensate.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stanton’s only relatively tradeable if he bounces back and stays healthy. If he does that you don’t trade him. If they just want to unload him they’ll have to eat his salary which goes against the idea of saving some money. So it just is what it is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We’ve definitely entered into this “counter cancel culture” era where people love to go “sure he’s a bigot/predator/scumbag but like why should I care, man? I just don’t pay attention to stuff like that.”

It sucks but is unsurprising.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m feeling pretty lousy but I just felt a lot better randomly remembering that John Rocker once went on Survivor, his his identity by saying he was John Wetteland, was quickly called out as a bigot and threatened to hurt people, somehow blamed Obama for him getting voted out or something, and then his girlfriend quit after she was caught stealing food and said it was because people judge her for being hot.

That gave me a laugh.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I don't hate looking carefully at Yamamoto. I hate doing it at the expense of adding someone(s) to start every day at 3B, LF, and CF or replace a broken DH or potentially broken 1B and/or super-utility guy, which is what will happen if you have only $25 million to fill a ton of holes with veteran free agents.

They have Judge, Torres, Volpe, and Wells/Trevino. You need five more players to put in the lineup. I think Rizzo and LeMahieu will be better, but we won't know until April/May. After that, it is really just question mark after question mark for the rest of the position players. Starting pitching is a tier 3 need for the team, after position players who can hit (1) and bullpen (perennially 2).

That assumes signing Yamamoto does block pursuing a hitter. That's a fairly big leap based on assumptions about vague statements about the budget. It also basically assumes that there are 3B, LF, and CFers worth pursuing. Which I'm not really sure there are, at least not ones where the money Yamamoto would cost is a bigger issue than something else. You get better where you can. Reality plays a significant role.

Red posted:

I mean, at some point, the Steinbrenners will fire him. As used as they are to Cashman, they're even more accustomed to shitcanning people publicly.

A person isn't their father and if anything the Hal era feels like its deliberately steered against the chaotic and cruel hiring/firing polices associated with the name. Boone was unlikely to be fired because the Yankees haven't fired any manager mid contract since Showalter.

Certainly Cashman's tenure in the Bronx will come to an end some day and it could well be soon. Cashman signed a four year deal in December in parallel with the Judge signing. My guess is he'll play those years out unless the Yankees fall further in the interim. And if they can't fix their problems by the end of his contract that will probably be the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I follow prospects and I have no idea who he's even talking about. Is Cash just that Not Mad?

Ruta is some no name prospect who started this whole thing by going on a podcast and trashing the Yankee system. It started a whole fan/media narrative and is what led to all this defensive nothing nonsense they’re saying. They’re lashing out at the noise, clearly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I neither know if Ben Ruta is the voice of the silent majority or a bitter boy. I don’t know poo poo about him or the inner workings of the Yankee development system. I was simply identifying that Ruta is the guy who started the entire conversation about the Yankees being “too analytical” with vague first hand claims as opposed to some kind of deep dive analysis. So Cashman’s just lashing out at the same thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cashman, Hal, and the Yankees ARE on the hotseat from the media and fanbase. It’s not their jobs in immediate danger, just the whole narrative and vibe. And they clearly are getting frustrated at not being able to change the discussion and probably not satisfying anyone with their moves. They can probably see the same thing we can see here that even if they make a big splash signing Yamamoto and Bellinger it’s gonna be received from the media and fanbase as a pale substitute for some massive hypothetical transformative solution be that Ohtani or Soto or cleaning house or whatever else people are talking about away from the Yankees organization.

I certainly don’t think bending to the pressure of NY media and the fanbase and lashing out is the right move. It just gives people more ammo. But it also probably doesn’t change or mean anything except confirmation that the Yankees hear the noise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

Cashman has been in New York what 30 years now? And Hal is also old. They should both know that talk is cheap and their words will do less than nothing to calm the NY media.

If they don’t like the complaints, then they gotta win. That’s it.

No doubt. But I think it’s evidence of how toxic the conversation has gotten and how aware they are that nothing short of Ohtani, Soto, and trophy #28 is gonna change it. So they shook.

It’s not helpful but also boy oh boy do I get how all encompassing the NY noise is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That’s like one of the trades I do in the Show where I just trade my bottom three roster guys for the best thing I can get to make room.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I see no mystery on why a team would take a one year flier on a dude with ace ability. Maybe it’s a wash and he sucks. Maybe he is good and helps you. Maybe he’s good and you trade him. If you’ve got the rotation room and no better plan why not?

I would have loved to see the Yanks keep him but given their rotation questions and the pressure to improve the team that wasn’t gonna happen. But I don’t hate the Mets so I’m glad I’ll be able to watch some Sev games local and will be rooting for him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I assume Ohtani will hold at least to the winter meetings. Which are next week anyway. But he’s in control and probably doesn’t have to worry about anyone else jumping ahead of him and setting the market. So who knows?

Yamamoto seems like he might be the guy to really open the market.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

i think that deal would hurt too much because it would basically devastate all of NY's SP insurance along with the loss of prospects like Dominguez and Thorpe. Do I think King is untouchable? No. Do I think King is a guaranteed 200 IP quality starter? No. But losing him, Brito, Vasquez, and Thorpe would leave the SP with Cole, Rodan, Cortes, and Schmidt. Even adding Yamamoto and maybe someone else still leaves that looking very thin. King and Co aren't locks or massive pieces but they're depth and insurance and losing all of that PLUS Dominguez feels like a lot for a rental who plays lovely defense. Soto is of course Soto and if this were 2 years or if the Yankees had a little less frigidity at the DH/OF defense or more SP stability I'd feel a little more ok with it. But situationally for the Yankees it feels like a lot to give up for an uncertain long term return.

See "too much" is a relative term. A team with more resources can afford to give up more without being hit as hard. I've heard "this trade should hurt" a lot from the baseball media but you still have to evaluate how and where it hurts and make sure you're not just creating more problems or holes. I don't know if Soto would be worth all of that. It certainly is possible. But it feels like a lot even if its not like blow away prospect package.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Schmidt in the group as well is even more of the "devastates the SP depth" and full into "who the hell is the rotation next year?" territory.

Maybe this deal can be worked out a couple of weeks from now if the Yankees add some SP depth or the Padres adjust their expectations as guys like Bellinger sign. I dunno. But it definitely feels like giving up 5 AAA/MLB SPs + other top prospects is a loving lot for a team to do in December.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I hate Verdugo. I hate the “we have to get Soto and everything depends on him and he will save us!” nonsense. I dread a Soto/Verdugo defensive OF. Guess Judge has to keep playing CF? That will help him hold up. Better hope no SPs get hurt. That never happens. I hate the entire current atmosphere around this team, fanbase; media, and haters. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I’m not gonna sit here and say “Juan Soto is bad” or something. But he’s a rental who costs pretty much all the Yankees mlb SP depth and combined with Verdugo in CF(?) makes for a bad defense and yet another guy who long term should probably be the DH.

Mostly I just don’t like the way Soto has become an all or nothing litmus test for the Yankees when I’m not convinced Bellinger at a lower cost and better defense and not giving anyone up isn’t the better big picture move. No he’s not Soto. I’m not pretending he is. And hopefully Soto will have w good season and do half of the transformative lineup things Yankee Universe has convinced he will or save them from the trash fire baseball media and culture have decided the Yankees are. But I’m down on the whole thing.

And I’m sorry I need to very much be convinced why Verdugo deserves some kind of “don’t want him” exception. Verdugo? Really?